Masters Running

Sunday 8.9.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Great job in the Half, Evanflein, and congrats on 1st place, AG and 4th woman overall!

I wish you great success with your surgery on Tuesday, TW! But really - Tet and Steve P?? We're in trouble now...I think this post is already out of order.

Ribs, the town was actually a bit NE of Poughkeepsie - my folks were just outside of Salt Point, NY. The jeep is looking great!

Nice run/walk (?) for you and DH, Aamos.

Enjoy your time back in Maine, Stumpy. The traffic on Rt. 95 through NH going to Maine yesterday was backed up as far as I could see. I'm glad you weren't in that.

Enjoy the Hamptons, Henrun & Marj!

Good runs, biking, packing and weeding yesterday!

8.1 RW miles in overcast 63F temps with an easterly wind this morning before a racewalking training session. We had 3 regulars and a newbie this morning, so we had a small but very good session.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Salt Point.  My wife knows it of course. She thought it was on the way to Pleasant Valley or Millbrook.  The rest  of her family is in Millbrook now.

Good job EK, on that win, and nice time too.  And I will put up a final pic of the Jeep (even though someone thinks it's not a real Jeep), after he puts the accessories back on.  I'll get a close-up shot too.

"She started the heat wave, by letting her seat wave, and in such a way that the customers say that, she certainly can, can-can." One of the best lyrics in songdom I think, and I mention it because a cold front is coming in on Monday and Tuesday with a low of 91 on Tuesday, a blessing for us.

We went out to the lake this morning and instead of our usual 8-miler we got in just 7, but as I always say, anything is better than putting up a zero.

"Ooooh, her anatomy, pushes the mercury, up to 93.  That's cause, we're havin' a heat wave, a tropical heat wave. The temperature's risin', it isn't surprisin', she certainly can, can-can!"

Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

First predicted real rain in four months turned into another sunny morn’ needing one of the 4.5 mile training runs I did three times in 24 hours last week.  In particular mikeE, I’ve got a reason for training now: members of my Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club’ve selected the 2015 Portland Marathon as their overseas adventure this year.  I’ve run it three times:
        . . .  1990 in my first year of running barefoot marathons (4:10)
        . . . .2004/2006 - the latter being the fantastic Boomer Reunion run when divechief’s modified Pfitz marathon training program of a long, midweek run I haven’t done since achieved the desired PM 4:30 watchless, shoeless, and clueless finish.  Somewhat sobering though how I only lost twenty minutes in the first 15 year interim but two hours in the ten years since.  It seems marathons are one of the better ways to experience the aging process first hand.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

New skirt in town

8.4 miles this morning. The training plan called for some marathon-paced miles, which I just didn't think I had in me after yesterday's 15.4 miles. So, after my warm-up mile, I thought I'd do just a single mile at pace. That went okay...so I threw in another one. Then another. And then I thought, What the hell? I'll do a few more. I gave myself the gift of one last, slow cool-down mile. I'm surprised to have gotten it done, but I did! I'm 6 weeks into my training plan and things seem to be going really smoothly so far!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - Great Racing!!

Ribs -

Okay, I will say that 6pm to 9pm last night was the longest 3 hours I have had in a long time.  Those kids are HEATHENS I tell you!  They were all very polite to me personally, but I was stunned by the level of disrespect of our property - in spite of trash cans in full view, they threw trash and cans all over the yard and deck, and at one point a cake fight broke out on the deck.  A cake fight!  Really?  When I saw that there was a run on the birthday cake I had baked, and for the purpose of throwing it at each other, I grabbed up the cake and put the kibosh on that plan quickly.  Then DH went up to hose off the deck so the dogs wouldn't binge on chocolate cake (and then puke it all over the carpet later).  They were all skateboarding or scootering down our hill, playing basketball in the driveway, and blasting music that I had to keep turning down.

All in all, they had a great time.

9 miles for me this morning in 70-72 degrees.

MTA: My friend Carissa is doing a 100-mile trail race in September.  I am thinking of going with her to help crew for her, since she has no one else going.  Does anyone have any advice about what I can do to be helpful to her?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yes, Congratulations to Erika on a speedy win!

A 4:10 barefoot sounds really impressive to me Tet.

I did 5.6 miles at Cougar Mtn.  I thought it was going to be a slog, since I am ramping up weekly mileage, but my legs were at times a little springy.  Well, not the last mile, but anyway....

Previous weekly mileage : 4, 8, 5, 20, 25, 30 (this week).  Think I will try another 30 next week, then have a cut back week, then 4 weeks until the relay, and not sure if I should hold at 30 and try to gain some speed, or try to increase to 35?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Such a fun week reading about the luvcation Enkie is having. Great mileage week too. If I were you, I would do one more 35, cut back, then do a few more 35 mile weeks before the relay.

We are having fun with our DS and his girlfriend.

My training calls for a half marathon race, since there is none in the area I pretended I was racing and ran a solo half . Not as fast as Erika, but I am very pleased with the effort.

Now it is time to get ready for a trip to Canada for some wine tasting.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Holly, I feel for you and totally understand the disrespect for the property problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, or where that comes from. Do they really get away with trashing their own homes? We used to even notice it when friends would come over and bring their kids. The kids would leave the place a mess and their parents didn't even seem to notice. And I cleaned the house all day for what?? Glad you survived. I'd have DD help with clean up (or you help her....).

Enke, you've increased mileage by more than 10% for the last three weeks, and while I don't totally subscribe to that as a "rule," it might be good for either a cut back week or hold where you are for a bit. The biggest factor is: how do you feel? If you're still feeling good with energy in your legs and you want to go run, another week at 30 or even up to 33 might be just fine. I don't tend to be very structured on this sort of stuff, and go mostly by effort and feel. A lot of easy miles are easier than fewer more challenging "quality" miles, so that matters too.

Tet, well said on the aging process. Not just marathons, but running in general.

A low of 91, Ribs? Holy cow. Hey, I'll be in Dallas in a couple of weeks, so make sure that really hot stuff moves on by then, ok? When do you go for a follow up on the cholesterol-sans-statins? I take it you're still off them and feeling better?

I'm on this kick of running at least 50 mow in the summer. Not only is it easier to get the miles in but it makes hitting that 200 mpm goal easier, too. After yesterday's half, I only needed 9.1 to hit 50 for the week. But, not one to want to end on a "round" number, I figured I'd do at least 10.1 and keep it nice and easy. Well, the first 6 miles were pretty good, a lot of downhill and flat, nothing too challenging. But, then it really felt like my tired legs were done. Problem was, I was also 4.5 miles from home and the only way to get there was my feet. So... the last 4.5 miles were sort of a struggle, and I had to stop and rest a couple times. Felt humid and warm when the sun was out (Ribs would laugh, it was 70% RH and maybe 65° at the time... but the sun felt warm!) and I lost almost 5 lbs on that run, but I quit at 10.4 miles and walked the shortcut to home. Bleh. But made my goal... and tomorrow starts over again at zero.

Sayhey! MM#130

Thinking of you tw.

Congrats E.

Holly I got 0 on the kids, but I have paced in some ultras.  Will be glad to chat or email at length.  Overall, sit down and have a real frank detailed discussion.  Address what to do when she gets stupid.  I mean it. I've paced some highly ranked ultra people and they will tell you they get stupid, I.e., he decided to stop taking his agreed upon nutrition drink at mile 74 b/c his stomach hurt.  Well, everything goes off the tracks with a marathon left if you decide to fast.  Get a plan and decide who's in charge.

I am having a great day, so good so good so good!

o, 10 sub 9 miles over the bridge and back.  Then my NYC  training buddy needed 2 at marathon pace, so we throttled it and did 2 more in 16 minutes.  And the bagel factory had DH's favorite and I got home before he had breakfast.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

What Aamos said Holly and you might check this: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Crewing_an_Ultra or http://www.irunfar.com

Runners named Amy know best as those two links came from ultra-Amy who pointed me there before I crewed for her during the VT 100 a couple of years ago.

Speedy Erika.

Happy Enke.

Rhyming and wonderfully lyrical Ribs.

Up-to-date and lead-off Jay

Working the plan Robin

Joyful Tet

Forever young Amy

Off to the vineyard Maraposai

Time for dinner CNYrunner...Gotta go!

SteveP

Nice to hear about Justin, Deez.

Very cool on your half, Erika!!

I hope to see pictures of the Joyful Running Club, Tet.

I'd blow a gasket with those kids, Holly.

Tag and I went to Scottville Friday night. I got home from work and asked if he wanted to go get Mom. He got much more pesky than pre race mornings. We got there and their cell phone/internet service is wretched. If there was one bar, we were lucky. I'd have to send messages several times before they were delivered. How can those people live like savages?

20 miles away, there was a un timed 5K (group run)  to raise money for the local food pantry. As low as the turn out was, I paid the entry fee for Tag as well. The volunteers were bend over backwards people. very ambitions. So ambitious that some one removed the course markers before a lot of us completed the course.

In the post race raffle, Tag won a bag of cow manure.

SteveP