Masters Running

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS (Read 357 times)

Mariposai

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS Big grin Tongue 1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.. 2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas! 3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with grav y. Eat the volcano. Repeat. 4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission. 5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello? 6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog. 7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again. 8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day? 9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards. 10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a great holiday season

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I for one, always try and put into practice what I learn on these forums. Another gem for the archives!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

LOL. Mari...you just made my day. Tim, loosen up those belt loops and dive in....to the good stuff. Did someone say egg nog... Thank you sweetie... TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I love it. We've got a great bourbon eggnog recipe that we share with neighbors on Christmas Eve. I am going to savor it, completely free of guilt this year. And there will be no carrot sticks on our buffet table. Thank you, Mari!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Harry Renner's Egg Nog - due homebrew digest (Jeff Renner) (I'm quoting here...) · 6 eggs, separated · 3/4 cup sugar (set aside 1/4 cup) · 1 qt. cereal milk [half and half, or one pint each milk and whipping cream] · 1 cup straight bourbon · 2 oz. Jamaican dark rum Beat egg whites until stiff, fold or beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside. Beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar, fold into egg white mix. Add cereal milk, bourbon and rum. Serve topped with grated nutmeg. The mistake I made was to use a *quart* each of skim milk and whipping cream (actually I made a double batch; or was it a quadruple?). Dad always used Myer's rum and Old Forester bourbon, but if you are making it full strength and will be able to taste the liquor, better bourbon will make a difference. Two years ago we used Knob Creek (~$25) and the difference was remarkable. Jim Beam Black Label (~$15) or Wild Turkey 101 (~$18) would be two other, less expensive, but still somewhat premium choices. Of course, these three are higher proof, so drink accordingly. I suspect there are better choices than Myer's rum, too, but it has served us well.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hey Holly - we don't have to weigh in this Thursday do we?? Big grin This was great Mari - I will definitely adhere to the rules - other than the egg nog. (Sorry Lou)

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Prince of Fatness

What, no mention of beer?

Not at it at all. 

Tramps

I didn't read this for several days, assuming it was serious. Finally, I took a peek....what a riot! Thanks for sharing. (Did you write this? It's great.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

This is right up my alley! I am keeping my December tradition of living on booze, coffee and sugar alive and well this year. It actually works to eventually make exercise impossible (point 6) as my joints are now screaming in agony all the time. Tongue I went food shopping this morning and the ladies at the bakery part of the food store cracked open a container of cookies I was telling them are so good, gave one to me for breakfast, and then invited me around the counter to "enhance" my coffee. WHAT A HOLIDAY MORNING! It was 7:15 a.m.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

Tramps, no, it was sent to me by a friend who is always giving me a hard time about my "granola" way of cooking. I wish I had the talent to write something like this, now you on the other hand... Wink Thanks for that eggnog recipe Lou, I will try it tomorrow night. I am lactose intolerant, so I don't normally do "milk products" but......... eggnogg is worth the pain...after all I am not going to turn into a "eggnog-aholic, right?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly - we don't have to weigh in this Thursday do we?? Big grin
                        Of course we do! Early in the morning, before we get started on the food. Just don't make the mistake of weighing yourself on Friday. Or Saturday. Or Sunday. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I went food shopping this morning and the ladies at the bakery part of the food store cracked open a container of cookies I was telling them are so good, gave one to me for breakfast, and then invited me around the counter to "enhance" my coffee. WHAT A HOLIDAY MORNING! It was 7:15 a.m.
                          I need to shop where YOU go! Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

This is funny, I've seen it before with a couple of variations. My favorite is not eating before you go somewhere cuz the point is to eat THEIR food for FREE! I couldn't agree more. I got sick on eggnog when I was about 8 (no booze, but very "eggy") and I haven't been able to even look at the stuff since... Guess that's a blessing, really.
                              I went food shopping this morning and the ladies at the bakery part of the food store cracked open a container of cookies I was telling them are so good, gave one to me for breakfast, and then invited me around the counter to "enhance" my coffee. WHAT A HOLIDAY MORNING! It was 7:15 a.m.
                              Wow! They don't do that at my Ac-a-me! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

xor

"enhance" my coffee.
                                My dad used to enhance his coffee (his term, too). He meant something else entirely Smile. Edited to add: no, wait. I suspect he meant the same thing. HA.