Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 2.16.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Jlynne, our wacky winter activity party is a get-together for neighbors and friends. Since not everyone knows each other, we always have an activity as an "ice-breaker." We've had people in random teams make snow globes and sock puppets, create winter scenes on cardboard with pieces of candy, write group poems, perform skits with random 'props,' etc. This year, we have a jig-saw puzzle made from a photo from last year's party - it'll be fun to watch reactions as people come to realize what they are working on. We have some 'newbies' coming again this year, so it'll be fun to watch them get absorbed into the group by our 'veterans.' BTW, nice TM run yesterday!

20s to 60s - wow, TomW!

Nice (smokin'!) mile runs yesterday, CNY!

Ribs, I also hope you have some comfort in having a direction and a plan. It'll be interesting to see how your PCP reacts to the email from the guy you saw yesterday.

Evanflein, we're going to see Paula Poundstone in Portsmouth (NH) in a couple of weeks. The show all but sold out in days.

Twocat, I got most of our snow cleared (not counting last night's dump), but our mailbox is getting close to being buried, and I had to clear a path to the woodshed so I'll have access to firewood. I'm running out of places to put this stuff... Great 14-miler yesterday! Who needs a race?

So you're going pro as a pacer, Tselbes?

Sorry about the cold, Deeze. I hope you get ahead of it soon. If you're running outside today, watch that new snow, and especially the winds.

Sorry about the extra work hours, Stumpy. Have a good/safe flight tomorrow.

Wonderful photo, NHLA. Good luck today!

Mariposai, you never cease to amaze me with your stamina and willingness to take on a project of any size! A big CONGRATS on pulling off the huge banquet, especially with the trials and tribs of shopping for exotic ingredients. I don't know how you had the energy to go cross-country skiing after the celan-up, but it sounds like a great 'cool-down.' Nice Valentine's Day gift from the EP!

Don't know about running with dogs. Our cat runs about 10 ft., then stops to lick...

After I finish my coffee, I have to go clear last night's snow (still can't tell how much we got, but looking out the door, it only looks like about 3-4 inches). It's wicked windy out there this morning, which is helping get the snow out of the trees. It's also make snowblowing that much more interesting. Yesterday I made brownies with black beans and ground coffee - and they are really good!! I'll have to see how they go over at the party today, and wonder if anyone will guess the 'secret' ingredients. The party starts at 2:17, so I'd better get busy.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai, you never cease to amaze me with your stamina and willingness to take on a project of any size! A big CONGRATS on pulling off the huge banquet, especially with the trials and tribs of shopping for exotic ingredients. I don't know how you had the energy to go cross-country skiing after the celan-up, but it sounds like a great 'cool-down.' Nice Valentine's Day gift from the EP!

+1

This goes for you, too, Jay, as I am constantly impressed by your projects as well.

Still hanging lazily about the house over my coffee and trying to talk myself out the door.  I should be running 20 miles today, but the new snow and cold temps are not inviting.  However, I have already allowed the weather to set my training behind, so I need to buckle down and get out there....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey! I won! Yep...Ist overall. 2:58 something.
        Mariposai

First overall!!! Congratulations.

Now I am off to embrace a few miles

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

HIGH FIVE!!!  Broke 3 and 1st - awesome!!!

marj and henrun

Dave59

Congratulations MikeE!  There must be something special about your treadmill.

I ran 4.5 on my treadmill this morning and then headed to the airport for my trip to the home office. The United agent begged and pleaded for someone to give up their seat and I finally gave in. That means 3 legs and a 13 hour day instead of 6 hours. But as long as I get there today it doesn't really matter. Plus I got a $400 voucher to use to visit grand kids In Florida. Can't beat that.

I've got 16gb of videos on a flash drive, 1 book, 2 magazines, and a lifetime of reading material on my Kindle, so I won't be bored.

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Mike E.

Notice I was careful to say "no untrained dog."  Lots of stories of dogs who build up to running distances.

Got in 5 this morning at the park.  Still working with the new Fresh Foam shoe so I can write about it.  Today I did a mile at MP and then 3 x 1/2 mile at about a 7:36 pace.  The shoes are awesome.   Spareribs

Woo hoo Mike!! Nice racing - can't wait to hear all about it!

MIKE!  Awesome! Congratulations!

Thanks for the start and shout-outs Jay!

Windy here as well, but no new snow since yesterday’s storm hugged the coast more or less. Lots more snow east of here and on the Cape—lots of power outages there. Ran 20 miles with three teammates at 9:00 a.m. after watching curling. I love the Olympics (summer and winter) and will watch just about any of the sports, but the real action sports are awesome. Olympics AND the Millrose Games yesterday made for some great viewing. And then the Orangemen kept up their perfect hoops season streak. Go 'CUSE! 25-0

The run today was untimed on purpose since we were all tired from speed work on Saturday. It was just a time on the feet run today thankfully. Another 70s mileage week and the SRD tomorrow is most welcome! Team yoga was fabulous yesterday. Just what I needed! The snow and wind made this 20 miler a slog, but since I race next Sunday, this was the last 20 miler for February. HURRAY!

Hudson loves to run with me and he’s such a smart and trainable dog (thanks Mary!). While he could go for really long distances since he’s so loyal and wants to be with his people at all times, I tend to keep our runs in the 3-5 miles range and only when the weather is decent. Goldilocks weather---just right! After romping in the snow on Thursday, he put himself to bed in his crate early that night. Cracked us up----he got up off my lap and looked over his shoulder on his way to his crate as if to say: "I don’t know about you people, but I am tired! I am going to bed, so just be quiet so I can get some sleep”

Good to hear that to have a plan Ribs and what you’ve described makes sense. I like that 0% possibility.

Impressive indeed Maraposai! You do so much for others and always with such a joyful spirit.

SteveP

I agree with the crass comedians, Holly. There are a few shows I'd like to take DW to, however, we're ones who would want to leave if it got too foul. I'm too frugal at this point.

Good call on the 2nd opinion, Ribs.

Are you also becoming a lady's man, TomS?

People at races have said they've seen articles about our dog. I have not found them yet. Which is fine as his ego is occasionally out of control. If I go much more than 6 miles while he's off leash, Tag is limping the nest day.

Wow MikeE!!! Wow.

DW, Avenger Doggie and I went to a point to point 5K in Frankfort yesterday. We did well at keeping it a secret from the mutt until race day. Then he started getting wound up. At the pick-up/late registration, he started trembling like he was very cold. When we got to the registration desk, the RD leaned over a bit with her right hand extended up a bit and Tag gave her a high 5. While he and I were at the registration desk, DW decided she'd like to do the walk! The walkers got a 20 min head start.

As AD gets rambunctious ( read: obnoxious), he and I waited a tenth of a mile back from the start. When the bus dropped of the other runners, Tag became a lot more excited. He jumps and twist and has even cut himself trying to get out of his harness. One of the runners yelled, "Let's GO!". Tag heard the "G" word. He flipped out and was psychopathic until the starting pistol went off and we passed about 2/3rds of the runners.  We used to pass everybody. I don't know if I'm controlling him better, if he's learned that going out too fast results in running out of steam before the finish, or if I've gotten too heavy for him to drag.

When we caught up to DW, her feelings got hurt because Tag only gave her a slight nod as we passed her. We finished at the 50% range. The dog got his medal then we went back to pace DW in. He was happy to see her now that his event was over. While waiting for the results, we shared a lot of fellowship. Became more familiar with racing friends and made new ones.

Being in the smaller towns is great. We stopped at a restaurant that also supported the race. DW raved about their chili and the owner gave her the recipe.

SteveP

MM #7877

Great job Mike.

Philippians 4:13.

yay mieE////............you are AN ANIMAL!!!!!!!!

===========

30mpr

with belt,,,,,,,sigh

with steps

I twieeked my back whilst putting on my leg brace,,,,,,,,,,so am now wearing two Bell-Horn ''Pull-It'' backbraces

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Universal-Pull-It-Brace-Black/dp/B005C41DM8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1392583894&sr=1-1&keywords=pull+it+back+brace

odd occurance

at the pool.

two 80-year Olds in the next lane thought I was Dog-Paddling

instead of correcting

the PoorMisGuided Souls,

I Barked on the turns>>>>>>>and then Grinned all the way down to the Deep End.

jay,

if you have another Back Issue,

try going to The Crutches when no one's around, the Relief is Immediate

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you don't take care of your Body, try to have a Clone waiting to replace the Parts,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...on the Dogs in Races Topic-

I was in

a 10-miler at Habstadt Indiana and we had a three-legged Dog running along beside us

aft trying

every Race Strategy I knew (except stepping on the back of it's shoe)

we finally got rid of it when it stopped to pee and Fell Over.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

WOW - AWESOME!!!  WELL DONE!!!

Ribs – glad you got a 2nd opinion. It sounds as if you will be in good hands with this doctor.

Steve – sounds like a great day for everyone!

As I said, I have allowed the weather to put me woefully behind in my training. However, I did get out today for most of my LR. I even found some pavement, although I kept having to jump onto the snowy shoulder when cars drove by. I swung by the house at mile 14 for a drink and ended up deciding to finish on the TM. It’s hard to go back out once I get home….

20 miles total, 14 outside and 6 on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

TW--I think Ribs is being a VERY bad influence on you.

We had about the same snow as Jay in the evening and overnight.  Plowing around the lake was not too bad, but a LOT of slush in one section that made breaking trail on the sidewalk a more inviting option.  Ended up with only 3.25 miles, though--breaking trail was drier, but harder on the legs than I thought it might be.  20mph+ gusts in the face on the last section may have factored into my decision.

Great race, Mike.  Talk about a cherry picking races!  Must have been an amazing feeling.  You got your <3 hours, too.  anyone try and stay with you?

Great sounding dinner, Mari.  Can't imagine cooking for that many people.  I have some tabullah (?) in the fridge, I might have in your honor.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.