Masters Running

Birch Bay Marathon Report (Read 685 times)

hup

That's the race we all aspire to, but very seldom, if ever, actually run. Thanks for taking us along with your wonderfully insightful report .... and hearty congratulations to you. hup

#artbydmcbride

A great report! You will run many serene marathons I just know. You were very blessed to run it in with lyndenrunner, he is such a sweet person! I wish I was faster and I would run with him some day too. Smile Congratulations! I can't wait to see you run in Arizona.

Runners run

Way to go Soundie! I've never run a marathon so I'm living my dream through you. It sounds like everything came together for you for this race, and your times were incredible. I'm sure you'll do as good (or better) at Eugene. You go, girl! Jeanne
          Soundie, that was a joy to read!! I am so happy for you that it all came together. I kept looking at your splits trying to find the one token bad mile, and NADA. They are all so awesome and consistent! You rock!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

This was a beautiful report, strong, serene, and powerful - just like the amazing woman who wrote it. Superbly done, both race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, everyone. It means a lot to me that you read this novel. I did hope that it could be an inspiration to those of you who also are still trying to figure out the distance, have had bad marathon ju ju, or are injured working their way back still... Don't give up! Smile I'm still scratching my head about my time. I normally wouldn't wear a Garmin in any race, but there were no mile markers on this course. My watch had me at 3:35 at Mile 26. I actually thought I had close to a PR.When I finished, I didn't turn it off, kept walking through, cooled down, and, in fact, the Garmin stayed on for the entire drive back to Seattle, beeping in the back of the car... Roll eyes Whoops. When I saw the finish time around 3:39, I thought maybe the Garmin had gone off for a bit when I stopped at the half to switch out gear with Vicky. I don't know how to download it. Never have. If there are any math whizzes out there who think there's something wrong with my time, too, let me know... or anyone else who knows anything about the marathon and that race clock... the race director hasn't bothered to e-mail me back, which is a little disconcerting. soundrunner 1012 at yahoo dot com
              wildchild

Carolyn

Wow. Beautiful race and report. Good friends, good weather, beautiful location, small race, strong training, negative splits... Sounds like a dream come true! I felt like I was flying along beside you when reading your report (but that's definitely a dream, as I'm not that fast!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Totally awesome Soundie!! You really proved the virtues of starting slow and demonstrated the huge payback. Your fueling was right on and to feel very strong in the last 10K of a marathon is just picture perfect! That's how "they" SAY to run it but people seldom do. You must have had a great feeling those final miles.. faster, faster, faster... A two loop course must be nice because you are familiar with the route on the second pass. Congratulations! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Wow!! What an awesome race and so eloquently related! I love living vicariously through such a great race report. Excellent job of coming back from an injury - you rock!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Way to go soundie!! Great race and wonderful RR. Its just what we all need for motivation in the middle of a long winter.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Soundrunner, your report was very enjoyable and inspirational. I'm glad the running gods blessed you on race day after all the stuff you've been through. You ran the perfect marathon. Hopefully the race director will fix your time soon.
                        Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Way to redeem yourself. You ran fantastic. And, even with all the emotional baggage. Way to go Krista.
                          Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
                            http://barefootrunner.org
                          evanflein

Awww Soundie... I got all choked up reading this! Sounds like everything really came together for you and I'm so happy for you! The weather, the course, the friends (Vicky is a gem!) and of course, everything that is YOU. I'm also interested in the course... never heard of this one but it sounds like something I'd like too... I don't think much of spectators either (except the one I bring along!) so like the more isolated courses. How wonderful to run a race and talk to the eagles... Looking forward to seeing you in AZ... rest up and get ready!
                            TammyinGP

That was a wonderful report and congratulations on such a strong well run race. I think this particular marathon served many purposes for you. Not only were you able to prove your physical stamina and strong comeback after injury and a few not so great marathons, but I think the emotional and psychological benefit of this marathon far outweighed anything else. Through a very stressful time in your life, you proved via your running that you could really dig deep inside and find an inner strength that we sometimes doubt we have. And you didn't need a bunch of crowd support to help carry you through like we so often look for at marathons. This sounds like a very beautiful course and sounds like it was a very therapeutic marathon for you. Nice job!

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

Verry Cool! Thank YOU!!
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group