Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.15.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Aamos, I guess retirement isn't for everyone. I think my DW is one of those people who will go nuts when she retires, plan or not. Nice speed work with the group last night.

Playing it safe seems better than messy to me too, Ribs.

Happy birthday to Daniel, Mariposai, and a big CONGRATS!! on the revenue from your race, and the good plans you have for that money. I agree with Tet - you should be mayor...until they establish a queen/goddess position in town.

'Nother interesting question, Tet...

Nice, Leslie: 6 miles Tuesday night, and another 6 yesterday morning! I'm glad you've got your zest back.

I'm so glad nothing exploded, TomW.

Holly, how did DS do on his test, and DD in her concert? I'm glad you found a way to squeeze in a run.

Enke, I always feel slighted when people at a race tell walkers to line up at the back. I used to pay attention to that, but I don't any more; I line up somewhere in the front third, but stay way over to the side so those pesky runners can pass easily at the start. Then I see how many I can pass back when they inevitably fade from having gone out too fast...  I agree with Holly - the RD could just post the pace times without designating 'runner' or 'jogger' (or walker).

Towcat, I'd be happy to get a much better understanding of Twocat cooking! It sounds like our DWs have the same retirement issues. I'm glad you got in a rain-free run yesterday.

Nice 5er, TomS. I hope it was just a routine visit to the Dr. for DW.

Good 10.5 for you too, WC, between the snowbanks. Good luck in Saturday's Sage Burner 50K!

It sure seems to me that you are so ready for Buffalo, Mike! Good final tempo work yesterday.

Nice runner/jogger def., Divechief. That 16-hr. commute/work schedule scares me. I'm glad you only have to deal with it a few times a year.

az2, running different races is a great way to make friends and explore different areas - congrats on doing both. I'm glad DH is OK. Nice 6.5-mile anxiety-reducing run yesterday.

Nice run home, Evanflein (although, isn't this supposed to be a bike to work week?). I hope the problem with your 'good' foot is just that the shoe was laced too tight.

Sounds like a nice racing rototiller you've got there, Steve. I've heard of lawn mower races, but I think rototillers are new to the sports world. Good for you for cooking dinner on top of your other adventures of the day.

I got nothing today - still nursing a little pain. But I did get up at the usual time this morning, and luxuriated with some recreational reading.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Jay and all to follow. Still catching up on daylies. Too busy with work, soccer and such. Even kept me from hitting 40 miles last week for quite a while. Need to run a few extra I guess.

Started doing yoga in the morning this week to augment my running. Didn't realize how poor my balance is. Hope it helps in the long term.

I did want to share something I thought interesting and how you can help kids believe in themselves. Last fall I inherited a squad of misfits for a U14 girls travel soccer team. Our club added several very good players and most of my team was bumped "down". I told them I thought they could be an excellent team if we worked hard and stayed together. Fall was interesting but things have now clicked. Undefeated. Haven't been scored upon and the other coaches are looking draft several of the girls to the top level teams. It is so much fun to watch the young ladies find confidence and a belief in each other. I am glad I got a front row seat to see this. I get the same with my kids when I help them with math or science (DW is the English guru in the house). It is so great to see these kids navigate through challenges and keep pushing forward to success.

Ok that's all I've got on the sappy side. I'm way behind on work and need to get some miles too.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

C-R, so NOT sappy.  Love that account and here's to you for bringing the group together.  My teaching experience a few years ago gives me renewed respect for people working with children.  I doubt you were actually in that "front row seat" you mention; rather, you were working with those young ladies to help them develop their self-esteem and team spirit.  Thanks for bringing us a spot of inspiration.

Hiya dive!  we miss you when your gone; note how you pithily nailed the best response to the run/jog issue.  LOve it.

Also love the rigged/engineered editing there, SteveP.

Also love a2z's account of her reflective run, which I emulated this am.  Thanks!

GOOD LUCK Mike!  Hoping it doesn't snow in Buffalo.    ---Your marathon IS before Memorial Day, aftr all.

Right on, everyone as in: "if it's a weekend, Carolyn's running a 50K."  And I still insist on being proud of my lonely o'l one 50K and Ultra sticker!  (OK, there'll be a next one, I just haven't found it yet ........may have to be a meetup  <broad hint>  so I can benefit from fellow RAers' expertise.    I hear there are good ones in the Pacific Northwest, y'know?)

Nancy, belated birthday greetings and again, congrats on your race.  You're just a multi-talented beautiful person, and with butterfly wings to boot!

Was going to go to a fun run last night but we had showers.  DH was going also, so we decided to just go run (him, walk) in the neighborhood, as we were clearing.  I love running after a rain; the scent of the rain is still there, and all the greenery and flowers are so bright.  Since I did 6 at a sub 9 pace, just motored out slowly this am and stayed in that gear, as a2z coins it, a "reflective run."  Not only good for your mind, but also physically helpful.  I think getting your blood circulating in a gentle exercise can be beneficial to your muscles.  And I reflected in part on how much I enjoy a really good cup  large mug of really good coffee, i.e., strong, from a french press.  Like the kind you can get in Northampton, where the coffee is strong, and so are the women, right Karin?

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Reflective runs are the best! Aamos how is it that you and your DH ended up in Florida? Just curious.

Jay, be careful with that outchie.

Steve after you finish with the garden you can come here to do mine as well.

Carolyn, enjoy your race. Wild sistahhh.

Speaking of garden between the race, marathon and no water in the lawn I am so far behind with my planting. My DH finally fixed the sprinkler system last night after many hours of working to fix it. I have water now, so I started my seed planting last night and this morning. 3 variety of kale, two variety of carrots, and swisschard are in. Tonight will be herbs and maybe some broccoli and eggplants.

3 miles up kermel grade just for the fun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Right on, everyone as in: "if it's a weekend, Carolyn's running a 50K."  And I still insist on being proud of my lonely o'l one 50K and Ultra sticker!  (OK, there'll be a next one, I just haven't found it yet ........may have to be a meetup  <broad hint>  so I can benefit from fellow RAers' expertise.    I hear there are good ones in the Pacific Northwest, y'know?)

take your pick.  Need to check with francesca and dove but, though White River (7/26) with views of Mt. Rainier is probably the most scenically spectacular (kind of steep too), the Carkeek 12-hr's 1.93 mile loop on 11/1 allows the most huggi, . . I mean camaraderie per hour.  It is very steep.  No wonder I like being slow so much. check out details on the MM Race Calendar

06/07/2014 . . . Evergreen Echo Valley 50m/50k Ultra   WA  
            06/07/2014 . . . Rainier to Ruston 50mi   WA  
            06/07/2014 . . . Riverside 24h Ultra   WA  
            06/07/2014 . . . Vashon Island 50k 50K   WA  
            06/08/2014 . . . Rainshadow Beacon Rock 50k 50K   WA  
            06/15/2014 . . . Lake Youngs Ultra 28.8m Ultra   WA  
            06/21/2014 . . . Summer SolstASS 50K   WA  
            06/22/2014 . . . NWTR Rattlesnake Ridge Run 50K   WA  
            06/28/2014 . . . Evergreen Taylor Mountain 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA  
            07/12/2014 . . . Grey Rock Trail Run 50K   WA  
            07/26/2014 . . . White River 50 Mile Endurance Run 50mi   WA 
            08/02/2014 . . . Evergreen Grand Ridge 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA  
            08/09/2014 . . . First Call Summer 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA  
            08/09/2014 . . . Rainshadow Angels Staircase 60k Ultra   WA  
            08/10/2014 . . . Transcendence Ultra 12h Ultra   WA  
            08/16/2014 . . . Hamster Endurance Runs 24h/12h/6h Ultra   WA  
            08/23/2014 . . . Cascade Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run 100mi   WA  
            09/01/2014 . . . Sporty Diva Bad Azz Back to Back Day Two Ultra   WA  
            09/06/2014 . . . Volcanic 50 50K   WA  
            09/13/2014 . . . Plain 100m/100k Ultra   WA  
            09/21/2014 . . . Self-Transcendence 7h Ultra   WA  
            09/27/2014 . . . Cle Elum Ridge 50k 50K   WA  
            10/04/2014 . . . Baker Lake 50k 50K   WA  
            10/11/2014 . . . Defiance 50k 50K   WA  
            10/19/2014 . . . Evergreen Ft Steilacoom 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA  
            11/01/2014 . . . Carkeek 12h Ultra   WA  
            11/08/2014 . . . First Call Veterans Day 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA  
            11/15/2014 . . . Evergeen Grand Ridge 50k/26.2 Ultra   WA  
            12/14/2014 . . . Rainshadow Deception Pass 50k 50K   WA

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!

Just for the record, I DON'T run a 50k every weekend!  And I think it's funny that Mike E and Aamos are the ones teasing me about it, as they're the two who run lots and lots of marathons and always win their age groups!   I'm  more of a jogger. 

Posie, happy belated birthday to Daniel, and congrats on making such a nice profit at your first annual Orchards in Bloom races!

Interesting discussion about retirement.  Byll, how's the move to MI going?  Pfriese, this is your last month at work, no?  I'm working part time now, which is a good transition to retirement.  I have more free time but still some connection to the work world.  Retiring after working full time would be a huge change!  Jay,  I think you've got a solid plan for retirement with all your volunteer work to keep busy.  I'm not quite sure what I'll do except travel more (and run 50ks every weekend!)

C-R, good story about your soccer team.  You sound like a great coach.

az2mn, glad your DH is doing well.  And nice run - I love runs like that!

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Just for the record me too, I DON'T taper every weekend either.

(just since 4/12's Seahawk Superbowl 12K this time)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning!

Just for the record, I DON'T run a 50k every weekend!  And I think it's funny that Mike E and Aamos are the ones teasing me about it, as they're the two who run lots and lots of marathons and always win their age groups!   I'm  more of a jogger. 

!

It just seems that way.........................

Does it count if one who's not running at all teases you about it too?

I seem to have done something to my hamstring on the OTHER leg over the weekend while digging to put in a small brick walk from driveway to porch.  I'm highly confused as to why they seem to have gotten so sensitive so suddenly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

I washed and stored my winter stuff too early.  I had to bring out my gloves and an outer layer for today's run.  4.8 miles. 42° and a cold north wind.  It had just stopped raining after a long stretch of continuous rain and there was a lot of flooded streets to beware of.  Storm drains get plugged and water backs up in the roads.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Kevin and Jay's ouchies}}}

C-R - that is very cool.

Carolyn - you are no jogger, you are an ENDURANCE ATHLETE!

Aamos - I love to run after a rain, too.  And I like to blow bubbles after a rain.  They get really really big and stay together so long in the humidity they fly way up in the air.

Tet - so many beautiful runs, so little time....(and airfare)..

No run for me this morning.  Another before school club meeting for DD, so I decided to switch out my days and do my x-training today, run tomorrow.

35-40 minutes of weights and core.

Supposed to get down to the 30's tonight.  Really?  Go Away Cold!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah--C-R--that is very cool!  I love hearing those kinds of stories.  Even though they are kind of sappy.

Just for the record, I DON'T run a 50k every weekend! 

Okay.  Every other weekend.

Thanks for the recap, Jay.  Hope you enjoyed your leisure time this morning.

Think about OR or CA, too, Aamos.  At least in OR, it could possibly be a meet up in the middle.

It was 40 min of core and strength training for me this a.m.  The appt with the PT was good.  He's a really great guy.  I like him a lot.  He's an athlete, himself, former runner, who understands why I do what I do.  He wasn't too concerned about my issues, and gave me some more advice, including some taping for my feet to help support my arch better, thereby supporting everything else, especially on the right, which I hope helps.  He said my right arch is trying to flatten out, which is part of the problem.  And since I don't want to go the orthotics route if I can avoid it, we'll see how the extra supportive taping goes.

He can't run anymore because of - well, I can't remember why - so he now rides an elliptigo.  He says to me, "So when are you gonna get one of those?  You know, I'm looking for a riding partner, and the US Olympic cross-country ski team trains on them."  Me: *snort* "I'll put it on my Christmas wish list."  (They're expensive!)

At Costco yesterday, I was in line in front an older gentleman who I recognized, but I don't know from where.  He told me his name, but it didn't ring any bells.  He has that slim runner's physique, so I asked him if he was a runner, thinking maybe I'd seen him around running.  Well, he used to be.  A couple of years ago, he was in line at a store when the lady behind him hit him in his AT with her cart.  He said he moved forward to get out of her way and she hit him again.  He didn't think anything of it, except she was rude.  The next morning, his AT was a bit swollen and either that day or within another day or to, it snapped, thus ending his running career.    Obviously, he was/is very bummed about it, but his main remark was, "She didn't even apologize for hitting me."    He was really nice.  He asked me if I was a runner, and I told him I do ultra trail running.  He said, "Well, I can tell from your legs that you do."   He is now officially my most favorite person in the world.

Bonkos tonight.  Come on, dice!  Momma needs to win the 60 bucks!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm going to have to start talking to people in the checkout line.

az, I'm glad to hear your husband's angiogram went well.  Nice long runs for wild, Mike, and evan.

This morning, I was all dressed to go out when it started raining.  I changed to indoor gear and hit the TM for 4 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM #7877

I ended a 167 day runstreak yesterday in which I ran 1665.1 miles.  A lot of miles, averaging almost 10 miles a day. But it had become an unhealthy obsession. So its over. Now to try to put back on a couple pounds and get back into the 130's.

Philippians 4:13.