Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 7.2.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Ilene posted some great kitty photos on yesterday's "Nothing Here To Look At" thread, and made it a lot of fun - thanks!

We had a local RW training session yesterday evening. Only a few folks showed up, which was not a surprise - it was 91F on the track at 5:30, without a lick of shade, and only a slight breeze that didn't do much for us. I did 2 easy miles before we got started, and whatever got tweaked on Sunday didn't bother me much.

4.4 RW miles at JJ o'clock this morning. It was 73F, with a nice SW breeze. I felt tight at the start, but gradually got into the workout, and had some decent pacing by the time I was heading back home. I did some good stretching and core work when I got back, and that will probably help as much as the workout. There were a lot of clouds on the horizon, so I only saw some hints of the oncoming bright orange above them as the sun was still working it's way up from the other side of the planet.

No time for more - I have to prep for a morning meeting with the town attorney (the town is being sued over an issue of forestry in our wetlands, and I want to learn how the concept of 'abandonment' may come into play for a new subdivision, proposed to be partly in our wetlands buffer).

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Breezed through posts from the last day and a half.  So sorry about your sister Jlynne and I'll pray for her family.

Where were the pictures of grown cats chewing on the owners' shoes and then throwing up?  I awoke a couple nights ago to the sound of a cat chewing on my foam roller which I left on the bedroom floor.

Yesterday I met with the 5am hill group and had a great workout.  13 of us this week.  If I wasn't so old and slow I could swear I was back in high school cross country.  A young woman was with us yesterday leading the way.  She will be a freshman at University of Michigan in the fall and is planning on running there.  I don't think she was breathing hard the whole morning.  Of course, I was never close enough to know for sure.

This morning was an easy 3 miles.  I am going to run a couple easy days in-between Tuesday's hills and Friday's 10k

VACATION!!!!   I'm just a tad bit excited in case you can't tell - no work until July 16!!  WOOOHOOO!!

6.2 WONDERFUL steamy miles this morning ....now time for church, finish packing then off to Old Orchard Beach!!

Have a great day my friends!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enjoy the vacay, Denise.  You've earned it.

3.1 drippy shorts miles this morning at 75F.  realizing when I finished that this would be a nice cool morning for Amy.  Still hate running in the heat, but I will say that as my fitness creeps up (so slowly) that I feel much more tolerant of the heat in non-running times.  Silver lining, I guess.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Have fun Deez!

Jay, glad to see that little "boing" isn't bothering you.

Dave, I love to see these young kids, high school or college, out on the track or roads, and in my case in the park.  They're inspiring.

My wife has to go to work early today so she got out very early to run and walk. Because she now has a Fitbit she has been so consistent in her running. I'm really proud of her.  I ran alone as I had to start early to get back home in time for the air conditioning folks to install a new unit for about my net worth.  Lots of banging and hammering going on now, driving the dog nuts.

5 easy miles for me at about 9:55 pace.   Spareribs

Tramps

I'm tempted to double-post and then delete a daily just to see what Ilene comes up with this time.

Jay--always interesting to hear what you're working on.

Ribs--are you without AC in the meantime?  Ouch.

Denise--enjoy the vacation.  Stay cool.

Speaking of young runnners...  I was near my school a couple weeks back, stopped at a traffic light, and a young college-aged woman--ponytail bouncing--runs by on the sidewalk effortlessly.  I watched her for a second and then the light turned green and I pulled up alongside her and passed.  All the while, it's slowly dawning on me that she is going at an incredible pace, just flying down the block.  But it hadn't occurred to me at first because she was making it look like a casual morning jog as she glided along.  Beautiful stuff.

80F by 6 a.m so it's gonna get toasty today.  "EZ" 5

Be safe. Be kind.

Fletch

Good morning, all.

Keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Arthur.  It is headed right for the area we visited this past weekend - the outer banks of North Carolina.  The friends we stayed with in Nags Head were planning to visit here for the 4th, but may not make it now.

Nice early RW this morning, Jay.  Hope your meeting goes well.

Good hill run, followed by the easy day, Dave.  I'm running a 5k this Friday that is a joint fundraiser for Wounded Warrior Project and a local high school athletics department.  Another way of saying I'll be spending about 25 minutes looking at the backs of high schoolers...if I'm close enough to see them.

Yay, vacation, Denise. Enjoy!

Stumpy77 - your temps seem to follow closely with mine here in NC.  Where are you?  Nice run this morning.

Ribs - Those paces keep improving.  WTG.  Hope it goes well with the AC installation.

4 miles this morning.  First mile slow (10:12).  Next three steady (9:40).  .5 mile cool down.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks all. No worries.  We have two big units.  One of them is working but needs to be replaced.  The other we replaced a year ago, so we're fine.

Just a comment about temps. Over the years we have little by little gotten away from complaining about the heat and humidity in the summer as we all suffer from it. I forget the name of the old guy who first made a big fuss about it, which led to the apt descriptor:  JTWILI.

Here in North Texas, at 7 a.m. or so, the temperature is usually low 80's. Today was 81, for example, and it's usually pretty humid here. But on occasion we get a day when the temps are in the mid to high 70's and that is very comfortable.  I find the low 80's comfortable as well, perhaps because I'm so used to it.

Low 90's as Jay had on the track in the afternoon, is very difficult to run well.  Most races here start very early in the summer.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Fletch--a lot of HS's could mean that there's not a lot of old guys.  Can you say AG?   I'm in north suburban Boston.  And it's not usually quite that warm in the morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Younger runners - in addition to the inexorable slippage in paces I used to run at the drop-of-a-hat, the aging process has me reminiscing in awe that “I used to be able to do that” every time I see other runners’ nonstop ascents up the hills of Seattle I can hardly walk up anymore without getting out-of-breath. 
                      Amy - soundrunner got me introduced to convenience of Nunn tablets in those days.  As long as you have a water source along the way, put a tablet in one of the extra foldable water bottles with a mini-carabiner clip-on you can have from the recent Rock’n’Roll Marathon Expo here so you don’t have to carry an empty water bottle the rest of the way. Don’t forget to take salt tablets too.
                      Might have to wait for his book to come out but MM#111 SRL aka StevieRay/McLovin’/etc. is renown for his nutritional sports drink analyses, . . . and he’s been turning into a super-ultra machine recently, e.g more than a dozen 50-milers to 150mi,.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Thanks, tet...we have a fun run tonight sponsored by a local run shop (whose manager is getting a promotion to Sarasota, good for her, but boo! for us) and I think I've seen Nunn tablets there.  Sounds perfect for long runs.

Wish I had videoed Coco and Simon (cat and parrot) playing last night.  Coco had him corralled under his cage (he'd been out stretching his wings a bit) so he kept lunging at her with his wings out but she wasn't budging.  He then resorted to banging his (large hooked) beak on the tile floor to make noise.  That didn't work.  Finally, he had to retreat and scale the cage up the back, then over the top in order to slip back safely inside.  At which point Coco decided Caroline was more entertaining.

I bet Steve is a great grampa.  I mean, what's he not got going for him??

Exactly, what Ribs said about the H&H.  I mean, I live in Florida.  If I report it, I'm really not complaining.  I love running with the Speedsters here, as we go out at 6:30 Tues and Thurs evenings.  It's still hot, but at least we have each other's company.  Last night we did 200s, slow, fast, slow, etc.  for 3 miles, with warm ups (heh) and cool downs (as much as possible).  I like those 'cause you can just go full tilt on the fast bits, they're so short.  I realized another thing I love about speed work is the cool downs.  First, you have all the endorphens from the run run run part.  Next, you are so happy the dang speed work drill is over for the week (Thurs is more of a tempo run or bridges) that it is wonderful to just run/jog.  Finally, you think you are jogging, it feels so slow, but it actually is still a good pace; it just feels so much slower than the speedy stuff.    OK, but I still feel the dreads come on every Tuesday just before we start, and I have to do some extra warm-up miles just to get ready, I'm so stiff from sitting at work all day.

So this morning was a good one as it stayed around 78-79.  Got in a bit over 8.5 at a bit under a 9 minute pace.

And today was a court day, but just half, so I celebrated the 4th early by taking myself out to lunch at a very good little Thai restaurant tucked away in a mall.  For all you foodies, here's what I had, with tofu (you can add meat or seafood), for $7.95 and it came with choice of Thai salad or soup:  Pad Kee Mao, (also called "Drunken Noodles, yes?) ...large rice noodles stir fried with onions, bell peppers, basil, scallions, carrots and squash in pepper sauce.  Yum.

And now I must go enter all those cases and the various writs, etc.  See you later!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

Having survived a hellishly frenzied last week of the month at work, I am now slowly working my way through my cases that were ignored during this time, touching base here and there with caseworkers and clients.  Much more relaxing.

DD's team lost last night's final tournament game, but only because a thunderstorm forced us to call the game with two innings left.  We were down by one run, and I think we could have pulled out a win, but rescheduling was just not possible with several of our girls going on vacation, so we took 2nd place and called it a day.

My oldest brother is coming to visit this weekend with his 11yo son, whom I have never met.  When I was 11, my brother (then 18) went into the Navy, traveled the world, and settled eventually in Virginia.  In the 38 years since, I have only seen him 3 times.

7 miles for me this morning in 70 degrees with 14 x 100m striders.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

just popping in to say hi! I'm supposed to be on vacation, camping and totally removed from the electronic world . . . but well, our first night camping, David came down with a fever and chills on a 90+ day, so we packed it up and headed home the next morning. shortest camping trip ever.  Decided to come into work today and tomorrow and save these vacation days for a future trip.  Yesterday we hit 109, broke our previous record, and then in retrospect I was glad that we were home and not camping. I don't use A/C often, but sure did love it yesterday!

Tammy

{{jlynne and family}}  lame, great family racing.  marj and LaT, neat about the meet up.  Holly, happy birthday to your daughter.  Also, I hope you have a great reunion with your brother and nephew you've never met.

Nice long run for Mike and good speedwork for Aamos.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and there was a little wind.  I did 4 miles at a 10:55 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Tamster, bummer about our star athlete being sick. Satycasion is also fun.

Tselbs, 60f in the morning. Lucky you!!! It has been 80s when I wake up.

Ohh wiseone, I remember the days you would give penalties for complaining about the hot/cold weather. I think we have grown up from the wining stage .

No running today. I was sleeping like an angel when the Easy Pacer went out for a run and he did not want to wake me up (he is such a sweetie). So, I woke up when he finally returned from his run. So, 4 miles for him and 0 miles for me. I did some serious abs and arms workout this afternoon. I will be sore tomorrow, but it sure felt good tonight.

Butterfly hugs to Jlynne and the family.

Ohhh hopeful4ever, it is good to see you here again.

Hi you all!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard