Masters Running

Sunday 2/22/2014: have you ever entered and then not run a favorite race? (Read 42 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey tom, I thought hip replacements were supposed to let you do what you couldn`d otherwise because of the old one so you got a new one.

skier mom - was that the Lindsey Vonn World Cup?

Who`s the skimiester take after with Slalom and GS to say nothing of swim/bike/run?

any downhill or cross country?

Has anyone ever entered a special race of Boston level interst to you

but you didn`t get to run?

After paying from $165 - $200 depending on the exchange rate in Septembers of 2010, 2011 and 2013 for the Tokyo Marathon, I couldn`t get over there for one-reason-or-the-other for the February race. Now that I didn`t register for this year, I`m still over here after a January project got extended through the end of Februar but, with registration over in September too, I didn:t get so see if I can still beat their seven hour cut-off time anymore.

Instead I put on a pair of the tabi split toe rubber/cloth shoes that won the 1936 Olympic Marathon and at least two Boston Marathons around 1950 to see how many of the eight 5K laps I could run in this weekend`s last bimonthly Saturday Imperial Palace Marathon sponsored  by the Japan 100-Joyful Running club.   After fizzling at five laps I made up for it in their Sunday Hiratsuka-Odawara-Huiratsuka Marathon but it certainly wasn`t in good enough time for the seven hour Tokyo Marathon cutoff times.

However, not one to let reality get in the way, maybe I`ll sign up this September for the 2016

Tokyo Marathon after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Well, the Dallas Marathon got cancelled in 2013 because of ice and snow and I didn't get to run it, but I see you came up with a decent alternative, getting some good work in.  Good job Tet.

And speaking of ice and bad conditions, this has been a remarkably mild winter for us in TX, the exact opposite of what those in the northeast have endured, but beginning today we will have freezing temps, lots of rain and sleet, and oh you should hear the weather forecasters! You would think the world was coming to an end.  We find this hilarious.

The Saint and I got in 8 miles at the Lake this morning, mid-40's and windy but an okay day.

We went to the movies last night and saw "McFarland, USA" a great film.  Spareribs

Jlynne, so sorry to hear about your house and family problems. I hope that when you finally get to the other side of all this, things will look a lot brighter for you.

It was actually warm enough to run outside today -- maybe at the weekly club run -- but it was still sub-freezing and it would be just my luck to slip on the ice, break something, have to cancel our upcoming vacation, and then (worst of all) keep hearing about it for the next 20 years . So I opted once again for a few miles on the local TM.

We leave on Tuesday for our trip to the Southwest with stops at Boulder City, Phoenix, Tucson, Palm Springs, and Death Valley. We're flying to Las Vegas and renting a car from there. I am taking some running gear with me so I can get some miles and GPS traces in new places, but I'm not sure if I can do much posting here since I've found this forum to not be very tablet-friendly. We' re really ready to leave since all our planning is now verging on over-planning and we know from experience that once we get to a new place, most of our pre-conceived plans get revised anyway!

So I might not be posting, but I will be checking up on you all. Don't stop running!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hey tom, I thought hip replacements were supposed to let you do what you couldn`d otherwise because of the old one so you got a new one.

...no, that was ''Wives'' you were thinking about...........

sorry,

couldn't resist.

...........I think the answer to this is ''Yes''...........otherwise I would just have them put in another Old One.......

======

ribbs//.........looks like you're getting what we just went thru..............and ''Hilarious'' isn't the first word to come to mind.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi folks!

Sympathies on your nephew's addiction issues, Jlynne.  My family has had more than its fair share as well.

Yesterday's trail run was short, but sweet.  We headed up the valley on hard-packed trail with about 3" of fresh powder in softly falling snow, then turned back downstream and ran the river ice back.  Footing was dicý, making it a better core workout than a decent run.  5.3 miles total.

Today I joined the local Running Room crowd for my first on-road long run in ages..... a slow 10 miler.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

5.2 slow TM miles this morning.  my PR distance is creeping up.  Still not fun, but not QUITE as painful in the past.  It's now a whole month since I've run outside.  If there were space to run on the side of the road, it would have been a shorts day  after a month of below freezing weather it was 42F this afternoon.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

That's a lot of running tet. One might almost think its training?

I registered for Boston one year and couldn't run it as that's when my Dad passed. Brought lots of things into perspective.

That sounds like a nice vacation Roch and a good call on not running and getting hurt and getting the "I told you so" for the next couple of decades.

Enjoy the weather ribs. Spring will be here soon. I think.

Just a quick 8 today between volunteering at church and getting some honey do's completed. Like Roch - I need to keep my chips up to date.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a quick 8 today between volunteering at church and getting some honey do's completed. Like Roch - I need to keep my chips up to date.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

New skirt in town

I've never missed out on a goal race, but I have missed out on a few others, either because of injury, or once because I arrived on the wrong day (Martha's Vineyard 20-miler.  What?  I thought it was supposed to be on the Sunday of that weekend!)

I did my resistance work this morning, followed by 5.5 easy on the treadmill and then off to my ballroom dance lesson.  We saw McFarland USA later in the day, which I really enjoyed, but discovered that my whole body had seized up in the lounge-y comfy chairs at the particular theater.  I could hardly walk afterwards!

Loosening up now...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

coastwalker

Hi kids,

About 3 years ago, at the end of October, I drove 2+ hours north to a race that was canceled (because of snow) about 15 minutes before I got there. The police canceled the race. The road were just wet, and were fine. Go figure.

I've had a heck of a busy weekend with a snow shoeing tour of our proposed town forest on Saturday afternoon, a wine/appies party with our racewalking group on Saturday evening, 6 miles of racewalking on an indoor track this morning and far too much snow clearing on Saturday and today. Every muscle in my body hurts. Even my fingers. I may have to take some ibu to sleep tonight. I really don't mind the snow, except that it is truly wearing me out.

Keep smiling,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Tet - nice running! Where did you get the shoes that won the 1936 Tokyo marathon?

We got nearly 10" of snow yesterday, which is a lot for us, but luckily it was on a Saturday, so no work/school travel needed, just local stuff and a funeral about 11 miles away.  This morning it was 16 degrees when I headed out.  The wind was light, so it felt fairly warm (see where we are at this time of year, when 16 degrees seems relatively warm?).  I used the Spare Spikes on the mostly-scraped roads, which meant running on either sand-on-glass packed snow or hard, crunchy, re-frozen slush.  I did 11 miles outside before I was just pooped out and went home to hop on the TM for the rest.  I had intended 19-20 miles today, but was just worn out by the running-on-snow and gave up at 14 miles.  I'll try to do better next week.  I added 20 minutes of weights and core at the end to make myself feel like less of a wimp.

14 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yeah, Holly, what a wimp!  Said no one, ever....

I ran more miles than degrees today, 5.5 miles at 4°F.  It actually felt surprisingly nice for single digits, and the running was easier than yesterday because both our road and the county road were plowed today.  Just nice, hard packed snow, easy running in screw shoes.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Went out for 5 miles with the dogs this afternoon. pretty warm at about 64 or so. Had a nice and well put together presentation for our non-profit yesterday - our annual member meeting. i think I'll be retaining my position as president for at least a year. . . of course, no one else wanted the role, so sort of pres by default.

Coach D gave me my schedule for the week:

Tammy

evanflein

Tammy, what's the RR run? Good plan, have fun on Tuesday!

Holly, I know what you mean. How did the spikes work for you? Today, I was thinking screw shoes might've been better... We had freezing rain last night and everything was covered in ice. The bike paths I've been running on were pretty slick, even with the spikes. I use the large size and they're just a bit larger than I need but I find the smaller size puts too much pressure on my toes. So... I stopped what felt like 20 times today to adjust the spikes so they were on the bottom... and not creeping up the sides of my shoes! That's never happened before, and I figured might've been because I was running on hard ice so they just shifted as I went. Aggravating! Almost fell three times, but stayed upright so that's a plus. Felt like I got a full core and stabilizer workout though! My legs are sore and so's my back. Oy. Ran 12.1 miles, faster than I thought on the ice... don't know how that happened, but glad to have cracked 12 miles. It's been awhile....

Mariposai

Coach D is one gifted coach. Enjoy your week Tamster. I cherish in my heart every time you post about your plan. I like that idea of easy out, tempo on the way back.

My dear Roach, enjoy your time traveling. Take a lot of pictures and post it here.

Hemerocallus, great to see you running 10 miles today! Yeahhh sistahhh, you are back.

Stumpy, hang in there. This also shall pass. Spring is coming, I promise you.

A lovely, relaxing day here in posie kingdom. It was a "nurturing my soul day for me". After a luxurious home cleaning and tiding up the nest day while the Easy Pacer took care of some tax preparation volunteer work we both went out for an easy pace 7 miler together under a gorgeous sunshine. A great Sunday indeed.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard