Masters Running

Frodau's Daily, 10.17.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

About that typo - my fingers on my right hand were one space over on the keyboard, so I got Frodau instead of Friday. But I kind'a like it, so I left it.

I had another evening meeting last night,. By the time I got home, grabbed some dinner, spent a few minutes catching up with DW, and started to get ready for bed, I knew I needed a break. So I slept in a bit this morning, and then spent some time navigating a novel instead of the roads. What a (necessary) treat!

Yeah, I have a tough time thinking of 50K and 'fun' in the same sentence. Other than that; what Tet said...

I hope all of this weekend's racers (where is Milktruck??) run well and smile large:

10/19 rtravers - Baystate Marathon (Lowell, MA)

10/19 milktruck - Harvest Half Marathon, Biddeford, ME

10/19 IBleedUnionBlue - Columbus Marathon, Columbus, OH

10/19 tetsujin - Tour D'Zoo - barefoot

10/19 henrun - Paddy's Road Race 3 miles, West Newton, MA

And I hope you all have a greta Frodau!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning Jay, I like the tittle too.

Yeah, where is milktruck?

Go racers go!

Holly, are you ready for your Mexico trip?

Funny conversation about 50k run yesterday. .

8 smile miles for me this morning. It was dark, but I was not afraid .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

It is amusing, Jay, but would have lost its fun if you had maintained the positioning for your entire post, thanks for not doing that!  And glad you took off some time.

Of course you weren't afriad, you have the BWs, Mari!

Yesterday, Steve wrote:

Breger lives in a town I deliver to often. It's along M-119 and is referred to as "The Tunnel of Trees". This would be a good week to visit. If I had a street address, we could all just show up with sleeping bags and dirty laundry.

Soooo...If any one is looking for a job...I need a new boss as I broke the last one.... Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, keeping  rack of me and rationalizing my behavior.  [emp added]

Seems obvious: Brger needs to get out of retirement.  Let's get Bryll on the job!

twocat, it was yesterday on "Here and Now," an NPR radio program that qutumn veggies were featured, and Swiss Chard got a lot of coverage--supposedly it gets sweeter at this time of year.

Have good weekends!

I'm racing this weekend.  We have a 10K on Sanibel Island to benefit the "FISH"  [Friends In Service Here] community group and the "Rocktoberfest" [so overdone, that word!] 10 miler down in Naples [get in trip to Trader Joe's] Sunday.  So I ran easy, 7 miles last night at Speedsters, 4 visiting with my friend who is back from the Chicago Marathon and just 4 lazy miles this am.  All this tapering and easy business is causing me to gain some pounds, which will cause more stress to the bones, so more risk of injury......yes, I know the answer is to eat less, but who wants to do that?

grins,

yer chum,

Oinker Aamos

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tjamls kau.
          Why would mari be afraid when she’ll have plenty to be afraid of when she sees the steep Cougar Mountain trails carpeted with slippery yellow leaves?

Baseball Trivia for Say Hey Amy -

I couldn’t believe it in yesterday’s Giants/Orioles playoff finale when the announcers asserted that Mike Morse’s game tying home run was the first pinch hit homer in Giants history from Brooklyn to San Francisco as if they’d never heard of Dusty Rhodes’s off Bob Lemon in the first game of the 1954 World Series.
          What Giants player made a famed over-the-shoulder save in centerfield in the same game?
          What famed Giants player was the “say-hey” kid for his love of baseball same as yours for running?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Gionfrido Tet?

And Aamos says "Say Hey" all the time. I assumed she does it as homage to Willy.

Here's my story for today.  Yesterday the Saint and I did 6 miles at Hudson's h.s. track, with 5 x 800 as I reported here, and she's feeling so spirited and happy.  So our plan was to take the afternoon off and go to the Texas State Fair on the most spectacular fall day, low 80's, sunny and no humidity at all.  We took the train down to Fair Park and she tells me the good news, that today at the Fair it's Senior Citizen day and that I get in for free, saving the $17 entry fee.

We get up to the ticket window and she proudly announces, "My husband is a senior citizen. He gets in free today," and the lady in the booth, without batting an eye, hands us 2 free seniors passes.  The Saint, who has a decade fewer years of wisdom than I do at 58, was steaming over this.  I said, "I didn't see you insist on forking over the 17 bucks." I sure had fun with this the rest of the night.  I kept asking, "Are you tired?  At your age you shouldn't be walking all over this park."

5 miles at easy pace this morning, and 6 tomorrow at the Lake will give me 35+, another good week.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Gionfrido Tet?

And Aamos says "Say Hey" all the time. I assumed she does it as homage to Willy.

Exactly.

icom100

Morning everyone.

Been reading through some of the posts here as time permits. 50k. Wow! Im still working on doing a 10K. Have only done one. Im sure I can run that far, but maybe not without injury.   Anyway, prayers to all who are going to do the 50. Don't get injured.

Been sticking to my running plan so far. Yesterdays stats are:

4.5 mph x 10 min 111 bpm
                4.6 mph x 10 min 121 bpm
                4.7 mph x 10 min 123 bpm
                4.8 mph x 4 min 126 bpm

Recovery bpm 21

hamstring/siatic nerve issue

Using a heart rate monitor seems to help me gauge my stress levels. It's a cheap one but gets the job done. Today will up the 4.8 mph to 5 minutes and do some weight machines afterward. This plan seems fairly easy to me right now, but Ive had some injuries and havent been able to establish an every day routine like I want to do. This seems do-able.

Was messing around last night and looking at my Runkeeper stats for the Biggest Loser 5K that my wife and I did back on the 5th of Oct.

I finished the course in 35:10, but then realized the course was actually longer than 5K. Surprisingly, I did the 5k distance in 33:10, which Im very pleased with. I was hoping for under 35 minutes, and came out better than I thought I could do. Looking forward to a race sometime around Thanksgiving or early December. Maybe shooting for sub 32.

God bless, and have a great day. Lets be careful out there.

Brian

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I thought you'd been reading Lord of the Rings or something, Jay.

the crud that I thought I had avoided hit me last night after supper and I spent the night coughing and other such fun stuff and am continuing to do so down in RI on a site visit that I couldn't avoid.  For some reason, no one seems to want to stand very close to me at the moment.  Still not in as bad shape as the rest of the family got, but there was not much thought involved in skipping my 5 miles this morning.  Hope it goes away soon--my timing is exquisite for the weekend and long run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

that's a great story Ribs and I'd be disappointed in you if you didn't make fun and playfully tease The Saint over that one.

Glad to see the Giants advance. I'm an M's fan, but next to them, I'd be cheering for either the Twins or the Giants. . . which pretty much means, I am only cheering for the Giants. Someday the Twins will make it back though. I have faith. 

another non running day for me. Working the snack shack at the Varsity Football game tonight and then I'm up bright and early for an adoption event (dogs/cats, not kids  Wink during the day. Perhaps Sunday I'll get in a run. One a week would sure be nice.

Tammy

evanflein

Yeah, I was thinking the daily had a Lord of the Rings flavor to it.... Glad you got a rest day, Jay.

Hey icom100/Brian! Glad you came back! Yes, slow and easy is a good way to go. Many of us around here would probably benefit from that approach. What's the story behind your handle?

Get better soon, Stumpy! I've managed to avoid the awful crud that was going around the office last month. Another advantage to having an office with a door....

Ribs, that's pretty funny. I guess she could've insisted on paying, but the practical side of her took over. How was the fair? I love how you two are running together these days.

Nice morning run, Nancy! I just can't imagine getting up early enough to run that far and get in to work on time. I guess getting to bed before midnight would help, but I don't seem to do that much. Just too much of a night owl.

Amy getting fat. Now I've heard everything. You, my dear, have the oddest approach to tapers. I bet your taper weeks are almost like my peak weeks. Nice that you're racing so often. That usually means things are going great. I like your idea of Byll keeping track of Batman, but not so sure that would work out so well.

Tammy! Meant to ^5 you earlier to pass along to David. That kid is running great. Hope you get a run in soon, yourself. Once a week is really not enough (for sanity purposes, IMO).

Hey Tet! What are you doing for the Cougar Mtn runs? I know Wildchild is doing the 8k (right?) but not you or Enke.

Alrighty then! I think that's the first time I've done full shout outs to everyone. Definitely a value of getting on here relatively early in the day! I had so much fun on my run last night that I can't wait to do it again. The day looks gorgeous so far although still a bit chilly (16° currently). DH asked if I wanted to run home from work, and I think I just might, but will want a ride for the last part which is still very icy. Left my spikes at home. I think that'd be the latest "run home from work" run in the year that I've ever done! We'll see...

Sayhey! MM#130

when I lived up north (well, "up" for all who aren't Canadian) I thought that people in California were so laid back in large part due to the weather.  They didn't have to worry/contend with wind chills, rock salt, fallen roofs, etc etc.

Now that I live in SW FL, I firmly believe that.

And I'm posting this because Erika doesn't appreciate how formidable a person she is, just living her life:

I had so much fun on my run last night that I can't wait to do it again. The day looks gorgeous so far although still a bit chilly (16° currently). DH asked if I wanted to run home from work, and I think I just might, but will want a ride for the last part which is still very icy. Left my spikes at home.

Just having to REMEMBER to BRING my spikes (and related paraphenalia--gloves, hat, etc)  to work would prove daunting to me...I do well to pack shoes, socks, shorts and a halter on Speedster nights.     Really, you are a treat and lots of fun and a pleasure.  And please tell Peter we think that!

Also, get well, KEvin!  Richmond is less than a month!  And you know that!  I'll stop exclaiming now.

Hey icom, yes, what's with the icom100?  Sounds as if you have a good shot at a sub 32--and cooler temps will help with that goal  Keep us updated on your progress.

OK, see ya later, alligators.

icom100

Hey icom100/Brian! Glad you came back! Yes, slow and easy is a good way to go. Many of us around here would probably benefit from that approach. What's the story behind your handle?

Ham radio operator. I run Icom equipment mostly.

After hearing voices during my 10 mile run this morning I figured I better do something about it.  So, I sat down and spent the day frustrated by trying to get databases organized.    I think I mostly have it worked out.

My DW is going to likely be disappointed with dinner tonight.  There is a pumpkin and turkey pasta sauce recipe I have wanted to try out and tonight is going to be the night.  I hope it is good as I have a feeling I will have to eat most of it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs -   Hey, you and Louise have a fabulous time in Mexico, okay?  Safe and smooth travels to you and hoping for wonderful weather.

Mari - almost!  Since we are checking bags, I took the liberty of packing EVERYTHING!    We are very excited.  I know you are a world traveler, like others here, but this will be a first for my family.

Erika - 16 degrees is a little bit chilly?  Yikes!~

15 miles for me today in 50 windy degrees.  Oddly, the creaky knee is barely speaking.

Mostly packed, except what I need to use in the morning and pack after.  So excited!

I'll still be watching you all, so you'd better behave!

Happy Frodau!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

icom100 -  Whew, I thought you were going to be another 100-miler.
                                However, you might be when this group is done with you.

And I'm posting this because Erika doesn't appreciate how formidable a person she is, just living her life:

Amy - Erika is the toughest runner I have ever met.
                                I’ve been there in the winter and, except for how she somehow does it, it is NOT runnable.
                                The two skier friends and two coaches who started the Equinox Marathon in 1963 and runners I met when I did it in 1991 DO NOT RUN in the winter up there.  Erika is a miracle in running shoes. I absolutely do not relate at all to what she can do and accomplishes on a daily basis. 
                                In particular, I often think of her when others post about other runners they meet up in their morning runs through parks and running paths all over the country. At least in the ten years since Cool Running days, I don’t ever recall Erika ever running into anyone else when she forays out into the frozen arctic and bitter conditions she faces. Having experienced those same conditions myself too on occasion (but NOT running), simply put, Erika is my goddess hero:  Meeting her is same as Joan Benoit Samuelson or Boston Billy for me.  If anyone goes up there in December or January, you will know too. “hero” - a person noted for special achievement in a particular field; often of divine ancestry endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for bold exploits, and favored by the gods. (tet: and admired by all who know her)

Hey Tet! What are you doing for the Cougar Mtn runs? I know Wildchild is doing the 8k (right?) but not you or Enke.

Erika - after 37 years, I’m finally facing my moment of truth and admitting all I can do is 20-miles in the Cougar Mountain Run instead of the 50K I would like to run with mariposai as I used to be able to do.
                                Without really realizing that the Cougar Mountain trails had become too steep and daunting for me anymore, to say nothing of a right knee that doesn’t want to fly down the steep descents I used to love same as alpine skiing used to be, in 2009, I stopped running the various increasing distances in the Cougar series that starts every May with a five-miler.
                                As a fitness and fun runner, until now, I’ve always opted for the longest and hardest distances in any running event.   I’m envious of mariposai knowing that she has another 20 years of spirited running as much as she wants without a care in the world as I used to.do.  I deeply regret that, twenty years ago when I was in my fifties, I didn’t know regular runners could foray beyond the 26.2 miles of the standard marathon distance.  .  However, I’m blessed to have done as many ultras as I have in the last ten years before it became too late.  Lining up in the 20 mile corral is sure going to make me feel like a whimp though.  yuk. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)