Masters Running

Running Friend Gone (Read 215 times)

TomD

A 4 time 50-stater, completed all the states of Australia, and all the provinces of Canada. Don Lang was a friend that I would see many times some years and few times others, but we would be running somewhere together each year. He had completed over 400 marathons and ultras. He seemed to have passed away from the stress of the surgery of two carcinomas. One from his leg and another from his back. He had some home healthcare workers coming to his house to change the dressings. When he did not answer the door, they called his emergency contact, who told them to call the police.The police tried to break down the front door, but for some reason he had barricaded it by drilling 2 X 4's into it. They went through the back. The death certificate states he died of a heart attack. Don will be remember for his quick and sharp wit. He was a cat lover as Donna and I are. He rubbed some the wrong way, but many like me admire his love for running and his knowledge of the sport he so much love. One of the oddies was he ran so many marathons and ultras, but he had as he would call them "His pearlly whites" referring to his perfect looking toenails. Very much unlike mine. His daughter said, her father did not have many friends. She did not realize all the running friends from all over this country and the world he had. I remember passing him around mile 20 after he would take an early start many times saying "That looks like my buddy Don Lang". He would tell me "You are looking great, Tom. Keep it up." I could go on and on, but I just wanted you to know about a friend of mine from California, who is up in heaven now opening sharing that wealth of knowledge on how, where, and why to run marathons. I am sure my friend of over 10 years is at peace now. I know there will not be much sleep for me tonight. TomD
      So sorry to hear about your friend Tom.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

SteveP

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Tom.

SteveP

Don sounds like a remarkable runner. My thoughts go out to his family and friends, including you, Tom. TomS
          coastwalker

Hi Tom, I'm sorry to learn of Don's passing. It is great that you have so many good memories of him and his running. Hold on to them and you'll keep his spirit with you. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

nowor

Tom, Thanks for the memories of Don, another remarkable long distance runner. Long time friendships are special. My condolences to you, his family, and those inspired by his life.
              busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Sorry to hear the sad new Tom. He sounded like a very interesting guy. I'm sure he'll be missed by many other runners that new him.
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter

Marathon Maniac #957

Sad news, Tom. That many marathons, I'm sure his life touched more people than anyone knows.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

sorry to hear the sad news........i'm sure it helps for his daughter to know how many running friends he had out there!! hope he's running pain free with the angels right now!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, so sorry for the loss of your friend. What an amazing runner he was.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Tom - I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you find comfort and peace in the days ahead as you mourn the loss of this friend.

Tammy

I am sorry for your loss Tom and a loss for the running community as well. I hope the good memories sustain you. I feel sure your friendship mattered to him. Karin
                            So sad. It sounds like he was a wonderful friend. I hope his daughter comes to know of all the people who he touched and befriended.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

huskydon

Tom, Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope the memories of him live on in the people around him. huskydon
                              Mariposai

What a silent powerful life. Thanks for sharing this memory with us.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard