Masters Running

First State RR (Read 296 times)

I don't like to write a report for every race for several reasons: 1) probably akin to why I'm uncomfy Embarrassedwhen everyone sings Happy Birthday to me on my b-day; 2) unless I have something of interest to impart, it seems sort of boring Sleepy/self-aggrandizing; 3) I really truly do not have a good memory Confusedof all the miles, etc. So, here is one, but PLEASE be content to read (or not) and not feel as if "o, I better put in a line to Aamos." Really. Really, really really, for true. Delaware Marathon (no, Delaware is NOT a suburb of Philly but a state, and the first one, as they tell us on their license plates.) Course is one 10 mile loop, then 3 loops of 5.4 miles. The first loop goes through a very pretty Park, Brandywine--the other 3 are along the river for a lot of the time. It's flat. There's a 10 miler and loads of relay teams that start 5 minutes after the marathon--they made it a well-populated course, plus we all got to see each other running the loops as there were out and backs. Very well-organized, good pasta party and excellent food (including big soft pretzels--there is a Philly connection, after all!) afterwards. What I learned: well, I knew that about Delaware being a state, but I'd forgotten it was the 1st one. Also, first time I got a calf cramp in a race--think it's b/c I didn't have my usual pretzel snack the night before, and perhaps b/c I decided, as I was reading the Powerbar label of the bar I was eating the morning of the race, not to take my usual multi-vit until after the race. THis seemed like a good idea as there are a lot of vitamins in the Powerbar. Those are the only 2 things I did differently--had my accelerade with me, etc. So, got one little cramp--just slowed and ran it out, then a bit later got another, "don't ignore me" cramp maybe around mile 19. Remembering past discussions here, I stopped and walked (right at an intersection where I'd just heard the cop tell a line of motorists: "you can go after she [pointing at me] gets across"...immediately whereupon I start walking. Shocked Lots of nasty looks, but no one showed me their finger, pshew Black eye), ripped into the bag of sports beans I was carrying for emergencies, and of course made sure to take in water. That took care of the cramp, and I credit all who have contributed their techniques and experiences. Hope I never have another one of those! Also saw bunches of people start out too fast. So I relearned that. Just wore basic Maniac black [see avatar] and the blue/silver asics again. WHite Rocket City cap (really enjoying wearing caps--stay on head better with short hair!) Chip: 3:30:31 72/551; 6/189; 1/15. No "hardwear" but very cute bobblehead doll.
    Masters 2000 miles
      Happy Birthday Aamos! Oops, sorry. Wrong thread. Wink Nothing you ever post is boring or self/aggrandizing. Don't be shy! Nice going on the AG win. Also, thanks for letting us all be reminded to not change anything going into a race, even when it's a little thing like pretzels. You reacted quickly to remedy that calf cramp with the short walk and the sport beans. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Aamos, that was another fine marathon by one of our speedy maniacs. Congrats on a great race and AG win. TomS
          Great marathon Aamos, sorry to hear about the cramps and too funny about stopping in the intersection..What tired bodies will do to us..when our mind tells us something else. Thanks for sharing Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

#artbydmcbride

Roll eyes 1st in AG again?? sheesh! Big grin Great job! Even cramps can't slow you down.

Runners run

Thanks you all, even if you are ignoring my plea!! Say, I figured out the race splits, which are published with the results. These are interesting, as they really do illustrate how many of us go out too fast-- There are 4 splits listed. The first is the time after the 10 mile loop. Where you see the break down is in the last 3 numbers. We ran 3 loops of 5.4 miles, so each split is for exactly the same terrain. You can see how many folks just got progressively slower. (The second column is just overall time as it accumulates.) Hope this is helpful, or at least of interest to you numbers folks: http://www.lin-mark.com/delmarsplits08.txt
              Masters 2000 miles
                Oh, Amos, really, really, really, ANY marathon deserves a race report and EVERY marathon RR deserves a shout-out - especially when an AG award is very slyly hidden at the end. You are amazing! Big grin I grew up and still live about 10 miles from the Delaware state line, so I feel compelled to set you and your dear readers straight on a few points. The folks "down Del-wer" (that is indeed the correct pronunciation in Del-wer County, PA) may think of themselves as a state, but we SE Pennsylvanians know that Del-wer is really our own personal tax-free suburb. I can remember when the blue laws were still in effect in the 70s and the PA stores were closed on Sundays - my family would go "down Del-ware" for tax-free shopping nearly every Sunday afternoon. Philly pretzels are a regional thing, but the fact that they served them at the "Del-ware" marathon just proves its status as our suburb and not a real state. Wink OTOH, the fact that the people waiting for you DIDN'T give you the finger when you started to walk across the street proves unquestionably that you weren't in Philly! Really, really, really - fantastic race! Big grin Thanks for the RR. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Do they even honk before they run you down in Philly? I know it's optional in Boston. Wink Too bad you had to walk a little, you might have won your age group....oh wait, you did anyway Big grin Don't worry about boring me anyway. I love reading marathon reports. I'm pretty sure they're about as close as I'll get to being in one! Glad you enjoyed your run (and pretzels) Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Whoa, those splits ARE really interesting....almost no-one, except you and a few others ran faster on the last loop. I have often wondered if there is a good SAFE formula for pacing a marathon. Like first 6 miles MP+30 sec, next 14 at MP and last 6 MP -30 sec?? Congrats! and keep the RR's coming, they are always interesting! And, you crack me up...."happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Those splits are interesting ( yeah, I guess I'm a numbers nerd). You must have been passing people like crazy on the last two laps. There were a bunch of folks who finished after you who finished the 10 mile lap and the first short lap in under two hours, then slowed waaay down. Your steady splits speak volumes about your training and smart racing. Oh, and by the way, folks on this site NEVER get tired of reading race reports. Especially from boomer goddesses who routinely win their age group and give us all some valuable pointers/reminders, as well as humor.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Aamos---you are my idol...hands down. Just sayin' Don't ever stop reporting either! We all learn lots and love to cheer for you too. I am getting tons of mileage by saying I know you anyway. Karin
                          Oh yeah! I love when this happens! So we go to a marathon and I run a shorter distance race... I then stand on the sidelines and cheer for folks while I wait for Ralph to run by... if I am lucky, like I was yesterday... Amy will run by first and I get to cheer for her! You looked fab. finishing right at 3:30, looked fresher than us 10 Miler participants. (Love the new 'do by the way) Thanks for dissuading my fears while the clock ticked past the usual Ralph-time. You were right, he shut it down early, knowing he wasn't on pace for anything great. Congratulations on the bobble-head! Cutest trophies I have ever seen at a big race. Oh, and I agree, Delaware puts on a top-notch event. Food and beverages for all runners and nice shirts and so well-organized. (I am glad that I only had to run that first loop, it was pretty and the weather was ideal) Run on, Amy, run on. mta: my stats La Vita F 44 Williams VA 1:35:04 (chip) 9:31 (pace) 1:35:17 (gun) 12/28 F40-49 41/108 F
                          LaVita
                          SteveP

Thanks for the RR. Thanks for sharing your techniques and experiences. They're valuable.

SteveP

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Amy! I love hearing about your races - I live vicariously through you fast people!! Smile
                                Nice racing, Aamos. First in AG!! WTG Shocked Nice report.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM