Masters Running

Friday 9.25.15 (Read 31 times)

Mariposai

Reporting a 3 miles run around the center of Sophia,  Bulgaria this morning.  This was a historic run around the city for the Easy Pacer and I since the run signifies the end of our lovely 30 year anniversary celebration trip.  Now is time to fly bach home and back to reality.

Enjoy your Friday,  my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' folks.

Sounds like an excellent run through history, Mariposai. Congrats on having a great anniversary trip with the EP!

One of DW's sisters and her family are coming for a weekend visit tonight. 4 are arriving, and 3 will be departing on Sunday. Their 18 year-old daughter is staying behind and will be living with us for about 3 months while she works on an internship. It'll be interesting, since we've not had kids, to all-of-a-sudden have a girl living with us. She's pretty mature, but is still 18, so I should scan "Parenting For Dummies" during lunch today. Anybody have any advice/suggestions?

5.4 RW miles at 4 in 54F temps. Nice morning, clear skies with just a hint of high haze. I saw a critter's eyes light up in my headlamp this morning - I couldn't tell what it was, but it was fairly low to the ground, and so could have been a cat or a fox. At another spot, I saw a pair o' fox cross the road, and it was unusual to see them in twos - they are almost always solo. I also saw a nice old wooden, barrel-top trunk by the side of the road. i went back on my way to the office, and it was still there, and looked pretty good on the inside too. So I picked it up and put it in the back of the car. We can clean it up a bit and use it for blankets, etc. in our guest house. People do that a lot around here - leave stuff by the side of the road that is in decent condition, but that they don't want any more - it's a good way to share, and most reasonably stuff gets taken away in a day or so.

I'm wishing good luck, fleet feet, and big smiles for this weekend's racers:

09/26 DennisLey - Grand Lake Half Marathon - Celina OH

09/27 Ileneforward - Global Energy 10k, LB CA

Have a greta Feriday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - Happy Anniversary!

Jay - you sure get a lot of houseguests.  I admit that I would find that fun but exhausting.  But since you mentioned a guest house, I expect that makes it a little less cramped when guests are there.  Ours have to camp in the living room on an air mattress or the sectional.....

Only 3 miles for me today, since I had an early appointment for the dogs at the vet.  Will try to do some weights later.

After two weeks, we are finally having the funeral for my stepmom this afternoon.  I believe my two brothers from Virginia are both in town for it, but I will find out for sure at the service.  We are not big on communication in this family, sadly.

Enjoy your Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey--has anybody seen my wooden trunk?  I went inside to get something and, when I came back it was gone!  Let me know if you happen to see it...it was really nice...it had a wooden, barrel top...

King of PhotoShop

My condolences to you Holly.

Mariposai, happy anniversary and I am so happy also for your exciting trip.

I've been out of the loop for a few days. Ten Wednesday, zero yesterday as I flew to NJ and back in one day for a meeting, and 3+ this morning on the dirt track.  Feeling fine.  Saint still walking through her injury.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly survived the attack of the munching moppets, pshew.  Hope this afternoon goes ok for you.

Welcome home Ribs.

No word from Steve...he usually ends yesterday's daily....

Happy Anniversary, Mari.

Jay, my roomie in Reston recently had a college student relative for a 3 month house guest.  She said she (the guest) was pretty self-entertaining, being partial to watching movies on her tablet and Skyping w/her boyfriend.  She's a vegetarian and was happy to help in the kitchen, also enjoyed being able to use the community health facilities.  On the flip side, my chum was able to update her cellphone skills by a considerable margin.

People here seem to just dump things on major roads.  At least, that's what I think, as it's not uncommon when we get the traffic report on the radio for the announcer to alert us to "debris on the northbound lane of I-75, looks like a sofa," for example.   Maybe it's b/c the announcers miss being able to talk about ice and snow, or maybe people are just slobs here .

Question: should people who have run Boston once step aside in order to allow other, slower runners who qualify but don't make the cut to experience the race?

It rained yesterday afternoon so was really nice out (altho there were puddles) for Speedsters last night so I ran 11 with 2 bridge RTs.  Beautiful sunset over the river.  Six easy this am.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Hey--has anybody seen my wooden trunk?  I went inside to get something and, when I came back it was gone!  Let me know if you happen to see it...it was really nice...it had a wooden, barrel top...

...did it happen to have Fudge in it by any chance??

===========

60's and drizzle...........Storm moving in from the East which is weird for us, usually south or west

sorry jay//....that hill kicked my butt

35-min walk at city park

had to skip

the final hill-repeat,

cramped up Wed.

also

1st of 2 PT work-outs

............good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Jay, you should post a picture of your find. I have a hard time imagining what that would look like. Cool find though. I remember Holly came across a chest of drawers or something like that once while out for a run. Was that a garage sale find or a curb-side special?

Good work, tomwhite, but don't over do it! I was thinking the other day that you've been taking on more and more (which is what you want, right?) and hope you've got some recovery built into the plan.

Welcome home, Mariposai, that was quite the adventure!

Hoping Deez heals up just fine, I agree a rest day sounds like a good idea.

Econo, it is fun to find those old CR posts. I love the race report of our Ragnar Relay from AZ a few years ago.

Aamos, I always wonder if sometimes getting into the Boston Marathon doesn't become more of the competition than the race itself. Since most of us will never win it (dang it), the challenge becomes just qualifying and then getting accepted. But I also think if you've done it a few times (will concede to more than once) it might be time to go do something else and give someone else a chance. I've started it four times (my only DNF was Boston in 2009) and don't plan to enter it again, even though qualifying isn't a big deal for me. There are so many other races/states to run!

It's snowing. It's gonna keep snowing. Roads are wet in town but icy up where we live so we took the truck to come in this morning. I saw this coming though and decided earlier in the week that Friday looked like a good day for a SRD. I don't think I'll hit my 200 miles this month. Oh well.

Jay, just give her the keys to one of your cars and she'll be fine. 

Welcome home, 'posai. I enjoyed all your photos on FB.

Deez, how is the healing going?

One thing about the old CR posts being available is that I thought that those forums -- like this one -- required a login and were thus hidden from the search engines. A little spooky having them all public now.

Anyone have a way for me to convince my DW that if we're going to Europe for 12 days with a one-bag, 50-lb luggage limit apiece that it's really not necessary to have a different outfit for every day of the trip?

Went to the gym this morning for a general strength workout. Taking a day off from anything strenuous after the previous five days' activities, so I'll hold it down to mowing the lawn and taking a walk later with the aforementioned DW.

Have a good day everyone. (Really, Erika? Snow??).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My first run today since the relay.  I should have gotten out there earlier in the week, but a combo of life getting in the way (DD frantic I find things for her yesterday morning so she could finish an art project) and being oddly tired all week (my mild cold?) prevented me.  I hope to log a bunch of miles this weekend, as I have a 5K race next Sunday and I'd at least like to take a stab at my PR.

So 4.2 easy miles in a very light rain.  I often pass my son walking to HS on these runs, and say hi, or high 5 him, or stop briefly like today to chat - I hope years from now he remembers this and thinks it cool his old mom was out there running in the mornings.

Aamos - that is a very good question and I'd be curious to hear what others think.  I was explaining to Blue Eyes recently that they had to tighten the qualifying times a few years ago because just too many people were qualifying and wanted to run the race.  I explaining the whole rolling registration to him, with the fastest runners getting first dibs.

Nice find Jay!

BE's neighbourhood seems to do this all the time.  I picked up a nice coffee mug and glazed bowl the other day...  They even sometimes put out veggies from their boulevard gardens for people to take (they garden in the space between the sidewalk and road....kind of neat)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our favorite caped runner!!!!!!

What a great find, Jay!  And I agree - pictures are necessary.  Most of the stuff out on the sidewalks here nobody wants . . .

Snow??  Then I won't tell you it's beautiful and warm here today.

Hi, Posie!  It sounds like you've been having a wonderful vacation.

I did about 30 min of the new evil DVD.  I decided I needed to be able to run my 10 tomorrow.

My dad's memorial yesterday was incredible.   . . . . . I was a very, very lucky daughter . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker personally, I would advocate running away from home for 3 weeks.

fatozzig I am glad to hear your dad's memorial service brought you a good memory for the future.

I am still in Quebec.  Tomorrow I leave on a 5am flight.    I am still in couch potato mode.  There is some chance that will break this weekend or I may wait another week.  My abdomen has felt pretty good the past few days, but there was a few times where it said "Here I am!" for a few steps.  Yeah, I should probably wait until I have several days without any such announcements.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

coastwalker personally, I would advocate running away from home for 3 weeks.

Did you forget who you were talking to?  He would  racewalk away....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our favorite caped runner!!!!!!

..Is it SteveP's B'Day??

happen to have a Present for Him......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpp5LEEaj0

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....