Masters Running

Saturday, January 24 Runs (Read 418 times)

anachrotech

2 miles for me this morning and first run in nearly two weeks. We're done moving my MIL in and today have to move my BIL and his family to her house. I can't wait until this is done.
    umwb

Good Morning anachrotech, and all.! Today is a rest day for me in preparation for tomorrows Soles 4 souls charity run. Smile Donate an old pair of running shoes, I get a free T shirt, And get to run too!! YAY Big grin. Also the New Balance truck will be there, so there will be a chance to check out they're new line of shoes. Cool Have a great day
      When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !

Hill Runner

Good morning Anachotech & UMWB Where is everyone today? Good luck to Bill & the racers this weekend! ...Loved the photos yesterday! This is my first run since last Sunday. It feels SOOO good to be back Smile Knee felt great. 8.03 mils of hills@ 9:08 pace...perfect 51F & cloudy running weather...daffodils starting to pop up...it won't be long until they bloom. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Anachrotech, Oogly and Peter!! That is great news about your knee Peter! Your "soles" run sounds like a great charity event Jim. Have fun! I hope the moving goes smoothly anachrotech. I have to say that this morning's run was probably one of the most enjoyable runs I have had in quite some time. It was 15° out with a wind chill of about 5°. My goal was to just take it slow - pace didn't matter just keep it steady and keep the HR in the 150's. Mission accomplished! 11:43 / 155 11:44 / 153 11:53 / 156 12:06 / 158 11:59 / 157 11:52 / 156 12:08 / 157 12:13 / 159 12:08 / 159 9 miles is also the longest I've run in a couple of months I think. Cheers!!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Hi anachrotech, umwb, Peter and hopeful4ever, Sounds like some good running, racing and general accomplishments (moving folks!) out there this morning. I ran 14 miles out today. No back. First time I've ever gone more than 13.1, and it was great fun! Renee ran with me for 12 mi, and then my ride drove by, so I flagged them down and threw the dog in the car. I feel good! My legs and joints were definitely starting to tighten, but my lungs felt great. This marks my longest run ever. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hi anachrotech, umwb, Peter, hopeful4ever and nono (how long can we keep this up Smile )? I have to go back to yesterday and look at the picture -- I was in an all day meeting (every Friday, ugh), so didn't get to read or post I think. 6.1 miles "recovery", 52:21, 8:40/mi, AHR 152 -- HR high and pace fast due to 10 x 20sec striders MTA: congrats on the longest run ever, nono! That's always such a good feeling!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

PDR wrote:
                And he knows better than to get between me and that pot in the morning. I have no sense of humor about that.
                My sentiments exactly. Big grin Some nice pics yesterday on the daily. Henry, you have such an infectious smile! And SR, you better hide that picture away, or you will ruin your curmudgeon reputation. Smile Anachrotek - you have my sympathies... Peter - good news! And I'm jealous about the daffidils - we have a long way before we see those here. Mary - nice run! Nono - congratulations on your longest run ever! 20.05 miles for me today in 23 degrees. Not counting two potty stops, average pace was 10:08, even with that long slow last mile with the torturous hill to my house. This is actually a very fast ave pace for me for a run this long. Normally I would expect the ave pace to be 10:35-10:50 for a 20-mile run. Still a pretty hard slog in those last miles though. No getting around it, 20 miles is a LONG WAY. Four more of these and then a race. Now for birthday cake baking, house cleaning, DD's swim lessons, maybe a nap later, too....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oogly we could use one of those events in my area. It's always hard to find someone to take the old shoes. Some charities take them on a hit & miss and the #1 local running store used to have a collection box but it got to involved so they stopped. Sad Nono congrats on that milestone, don't the little victorys make you feel good? Smile Holly you tough girl, a 20 miler in 3rd week of January won't be on my schedule in this lifetime, unless I go somewhere warm Smile. Mary your weather was identical to mine 5 miles easy around the neighborhood w/DW after 47F yesterday about 3 inches of the snow melted so there was a lot of ice in unusual places this morning. Didn't slip until we were done & I stopped to get our newspaper out of the box I hit some ice & almost went down. Roll eyes

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Slo

Good Morning all. Hope everyone is having a great start to the tweekend. Good Luck umwb on the Soles 4 Souls ! I'm taking a rest day.......I had planned on going 30+ days before taking a day off but I'm thinking my training may have caught up to me......no pending injuries......just wiped out......struggling thru runs. I hoping for some feed back and/or positive reinforcement. This has been a tough week. My easy runs were a bit slower than usual. I missed my goal on Tuesdays Interval, I didn't have the gas to complete my cool down run, and last nights tempo I completely Blow'd up on. Last night called for a 2 mile easy, 4 miles at 1/2 mary, and 2 easy. I completed the 1st 2 miler at 8:34.....felt great. Sipped a little water and set my pace for 7:18. This pace is probably faster than my current 1/2 mary but I really should'nt have a problem completing 4 miles. Started of fine. Mile 2 was terrible. I could really feel the acid in my legs......the next half mile was a mental game. The mind won at 2.67 miles.......Walked 1/4 lap......determined to get something out of the work out I set the pace at 7:22.......1/2 mile was all I made. Took another water break.......about 3 mins. Tried again with a goal to do 2 miles at 7:20. Completed 10 mins....1.4 miles. This morning I slept in.......got a decent core and upper body workout in......nothing intensive. Plan is to lay off today....no running. Do a 6 - 7 miler tomorrow very very easy......like a 9:00 pace. Monday is a short run and Tues will be my next quality workout. A very key workout......2 weeks out from a goal race. 6 x 1k @ Race Pace w/400m jog recoveries. Basically I'll be covering the race distance at my goal pace........6:45. (Kinda scary right now considering I couldn't do it last night at a pace 30sec/mile slower Shocked ) I'm thinking I did just a little too much over the last two weeks and need to tone it down a bit. Nutrition has been spot on. Sleep has been average to good......7 hrs or better. Next weeks training is really a mental thing. There is no training I'm going to do two weeks out from a race that is going to have a significant impact. But nailing Tuesday workout will really give me the confidence on Feb 7th to back up my Smack Talk Wink
                      This must be the day for long runs. 10 miles for me this morning at a 9:41 pace. Doing it on a dreadmill isn't the same as running outside, I know, but it's my first double digit run since last spring. The thing I hate about long runs on treadmills is the Y set the timers on all of them to 32 minutes max. I had to cycle through 3 times! Nice LONG run this morning, Holly. Are you burning off some pre-birthday party stress? Sleepovers were always rough at our house when the kids were little. NO ONE got any sleep! It sounds like you've got a great party planned - what a nice mother you are! Nono and Mary - great long runs for you both this morning. Mary - how were you dressed? I debated about running outside, but it was -2° with a pretty stiff wind. I'm such a wimp. Peter - good to hear your knee isn't causing you any problems. All our flowers are still burried under 10 feet of snow. I hope all our weekend racers run well and give us a report about their adventures. Have a great Saturday, everyone.
                        enke, nice run after last week's scare. nono and enke, glad to hear your husbands survived the layoffs. Roy, that picture says it all about a nasty turned ankle. I hope it recovers quickly. Holly, happy birthday to your son and good luck to you surviving the party. dg, nice tempo run. Tramps sorry to hear about your messed up ankle/shin. I hope it's not serious. perch, sorry to hear about your layoff. My thoughts are with you. derrick, that's a tough deal with your furnace conking out. With the cold weather we've been having it could be serious. I hope you can get it fixed or replaced soon. PDR and WRFB, congrats on the news about you becoming grandparents soon. anachrotech, it's good you got in your first run in a couple weeks and that you got half of your moving chores done. Peter, good job on your first run in a week and with a knee that felt great. hopeful, good job on longest run in a couple of months. Sarge, nice run with your wife. Nice long runs for Diverdoc, perch, nono (longest ever), and Holly. This morning, the temp was about 8° when I went out and may have dropped a degree or two while I was out. For the first time in a couple of weeks I felt the roads were good enough to leave the Yaks at home (I did have to pick my route carefully). Even though I almost talked myself out of running today and thought of cutting the run short through the first 4 miles or so, it ended up the first run I've felt good about in quite awhile. The first time I checked my pace was at 3 miles when I made a bathroom stop and it was 9:48. Since I haven't done an 8 mile run in under a 10 min pace in about 3 weeks, I was encouraged. I didn't check my pace again until I was done and was pleased to find I'd done the 8 miles in enough under 1:17 for a 9:35 pace. The run was a little hard but not real bad. Checking my log, I had to go back a month to find an 8 miler at that pace. Also, every mile was under 10 minutes, the trend was to get faster as the run progressed, almost a progression run and I definitely had negative splits. I'm glad my obsession with sticking to a schedule overruled my desire not to run. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                          6 miles around the lake, running solo at a very easy 9:50 pace, bundled up in 10F weather. I ran it counter-clockwise for the first time and was amazed as usual how a change of direction on a route can make it seem totally unfamiliar. The only other people at the park besides runners were ice fishermen. As a group of runners walked past a group of ice fishers, we looked at each other and you could tell that each group was thinking "are those guys nuts??" Roll eyes Have a good weekend, everyone.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

6The only other people at the park besides runners were ice fishermen. As a group of runners walked past a group of ice fishers, we looked at each other and you could tell that each group was thinking "are those guys nuts??" Roll eyes
                            Funny - that is what my husband is doing right now. He just called and he's catching perch as quick as he can reel them in. (Sorry Steve) Wink JLynne - I wore thermal pants with wind pants over them. An underarmor mock turtleneck with a tech shirt over that and a wind jacket. Headband, gloves and mittens over the gloves. It was just perfect.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

4 slow today just to wrap up my first ever 35-mile week. Hoping to run long tomorrow. Nono, that was impressive. SLO, I don't know what to tell you. Try going back to the Intervals thread I started and see where you went wrong. I can see it at a glance, and it appears you can too, but it will help if you can articulate it so that you won't put yourself in this position down the road. A couple of things to consider however: 1) There is no such thing as "nailing a workout" if someone else created it for you who knows nothing of your current competencies. 2) Half marathon pace (if indeed that is what you meant by "half mary") should be your current HM pace, not something faster that you think should be okay. 3) In every key workout you do (by key I am referring to LR's and any workouts that have some quality component) you should be thinking of the workout you expect to do 2-3 days from then. Spareribs
                                Hey every one! Mary, Jeane, NoNo, Nice runs. Holly? 20.05? Why not just round that up to 21? Nice run though I'm jealous I wish my training base was up to 20! Slo and Jim enjoy your rest days they are part of training and should be enjoyed. My day began with a nice mile warm up followed by a 25k race....ran it in 2:06:16 (8:08) pace...I finished strong and felt very good. I even jogged a little cool down. no one passed me after mile five. Not because I ran fast but because I kept a good solid pace and my legs never got tired...well maybe a little on that last hill. (Yes they found the only #$*&^ ! hill in Virginia beach to run up...I was gobsmackedShocked!!!) Things that went right....Hammer Gel Espresso love....Fuel belt filled with Gatorade...ran a faster second half than first. Training base seems pretty good legs are tired, but not sore, Weather!!!! woot! finished race at 2:06 ran began at 2:19 sweeeeet Big grin The only thing that had a potential of going wrong was the fact that I did something impulsive yesterday. My normal running shoes are NB 1062's which if you've ever run in are comfy (heavy) shoes...while I was in the store buying my gels I was eyeballing the NB shoes....I've always wanted to get back into a lighter faster shoe that I wore when I was young and more aerodynamic (cough cough). So I bought a pair of NB 826 and wore them the rest of the afternoon...that should be plenty of break in time!!! Right?.... Well long story short I wore them in the race and had no problems at all....hmmmmm.... Take care everyone Karl