Masters Running

Friday, the Ides of August (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Slo, I applaud your work to create the Human Powered League to take on the role of trail builders and stewards in your town. It will be very rewarding to see people out there, enjoying what you and the group create. Meanwhile, nice hill-filled 40-min. run yesterday.

Nice lake loops yesterday, Stumpy. I hope the Corp. Challenge (with 'only' 6000 expected) went well last night.

Your friend has a gorgeous house, Roch. I'm glad you got to enjoy it for a bit. And I'm glad you had a good "October in August" 8-miler yesterday.

Good easy run for Holly. She must be resting up for the Ribs adventure in Mexico.

It's tough to take it easy when you've got fast friends, Ribs. Good running, even if it wasn't what you had planned.

Hills are tough enough without having to fight 2.5-ft. grass, Blazin! Nice workout.

Nice 5-miler, Leslie, even if it was on pavement. Thank you for volunteering, and good luck to you and the Hub (the fashionista) at Waldo.

You're getting in some impressive workouts these days, TW!

Congrats on meeting your goal with a new Senior Games record in the 10K, Trackrat!

Nice mid-day 5-miler, Dave. Try not to break anything on your body, OK?

I hope Evanflein mad her late/early flight OK, and that Abby kitty is OK too.

Nice 5-miler in the cool weather, Tselbes.

Nice track workout with EP, Mariposai. I'm glad you're starting to focus on Reach The Beach, 'cause it'll be here before we know it.

I'm glad you and DW had a good time in NYC, Twocat. Nice 16-miler after your early return to CT. I'm glad you avoided the flooding - we know how much you like water...

Wow, Enke - a surprise meetup with Divechief, and jets firing between you and Mr. Clooney!

Fly well, AAmos. Maybe you'll still meet up Ribs somewhere in Texas.

Tough day at work yesterday, with generator-only power, Deeze. I'm glad you could follow that with a return to your favorite spot in Maine Good luck in the 5K in OOB, and with your long run.

Gotta cut this short - DW's waiting for me for breakfast. I went 8.25 RW miles this morning with good hip rotation and turnover. It felt good, and my splits were good. I'm a little fatigued (in a good way) for now, but that'll pass.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Nice workout Jay.

WTG Slo. Awesome stuff with the trail restoration and upkeep.

Hope your kitty gets better soon Erika.

Wow Roch. That is one nice place. Enjoy.

Sub 37 10k? Man that is fast. Good stuff track.

End of a three day road trip. Nashville, Atlanta, Nashville and home. Lots of windshield time but I did get to stay with family in Nashville between meetings and get some runs in Monkeyville. Glad to be going home in a while to see DW and the kids.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slo--I'm a little slow myself, but that sounds like a tough, but imminently satisfying project you've started.

Jay--not sure where the "short" came in.  I think you covered everyone and then some.  So +++111 to what Jay said, since I'm not nearly that dedicated.

I had a good (for me) 5K last night.  Of course, I somehow managed to miss the start button on my garmin at the start, so was disappointed to see a "0" when I first looked at it.    I would have been interested to see what the splits were.  the first mile was particularly challenging--as you can see, there was almost 5 minutes to get to the start and an amazing abundance of walkers to weave through.  but there were 5632 finishers, so I was pretty happy with my results.  Oh yeah--you have to love age graded results--mine went down to 23:27!

2134    87/216            M5559             33:13   28:54               9:19

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

How I admire people like SLO and Jay, who give so much back to their communities. Good for you.

Aamos, once we aborted the plan, I made arrangements to play cards this afternoon, so I am out of pocket when you arrive in Dallas. I'm sorry.  There will be other times I'm sure.

Well, I got that gig in Rochester, NY so I'll be up there next week.

Imagine poor Holly having to rest up just to see me in Mexico.  You all forget that I'm 68 next week.

The Saint and I are racing a 5K tomorrow, so we decided to go out today and just do a short run.  2.3 for us at the Park, a stretch for me at the Y, and now a bit of work before I go off to dazzle the bridge players of the city of Dallas.  Spareribs

Dave59

Ran 4 miles this morning.  I signed up for a 10k that is tomorrow at 9:00 PM.  I almost signed up for the half, but since the races start at my usual bedtime I figured I'd take the shorter option.  I don't want to risk falling asleep during the race.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ran 4 miles this morning.  I signed up for a 10k that is tomorrow at 9:00 PM.  I almost signed up for the half, but since the races start at my usual bedtime I figured I'd take the shorter option.  I don't want to risk falling asleep during the race.

I'd agree, Dave.  it's bad enough running a 5k at 6:30--can't imagine a half at bedtime.

ribs--enjoy Rochester.  even though I grew up there, I've been away so long, there's not much I can recommend.  I know you're not a big red meat eater, but if you like old timey hamburger stands, try Don's original by the lake in Irondequoit.    A childhood (and still) favorite.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Do it Dave! - anyone can run a 10K but I don't know

anyone who's ever run a half marathon in their sleep.

It'll be a great memory longer than any 10K will last

Take a print of your avatar to keep you awake.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Prepare ye for my tale of woe.

Monday's Intervals workout was cut short by left hamstring tightness.  I rested Tuesday, and attempted to go nice and easy on Wednesday.  I ran a total of 4.5 with 3 at 9:00 even, pacing a couple of runners from my office in their tempo run.  At least that was the plan.  Right at the same place on the course that my hamstring tightened up on Monday, it did it again on Wednesday, to the point that I once again had to walk for a couple of minutes and then jog gingerly (no, not wearing a red wig) back to the building.   It's the only real uphill incline on the entire trail along the river, and it seems to be just enough to do the deed.

Wednesday evening I went to the cemetery in a light rain to do some weed whacking, and discovered a ground bees' nest, shortly after they discovered me.  They didn't like me swinging my ol' fashioned weed whacker in their general direction, or stepping on their nest.....

In running to the car to escape the growing angry (though somewhat drowsy) swarm, I think I pulled my tight hamstring.

Meh.  I was glad to not have been stung anywhere but in one ankle, which is I guess all they could really get at because of the way I was dressed.  However, that ankle hurt for a good 36 hours afterward, in spite of painkillers.   And since it's the ankle I have arthritis in, it was already swollen and I couldn't really tell how many stingers may have been in there. and I didnt stick around long enough to see if they were bees (one sting apiece) or hornets (multiple stings).   I do know that as I drove away from the cemetery there was still one of the little buggers trying to sting me.  I had to pull over and encourage him out of the car.  I wonder if he got home okay.

No running for me until next Friday the 22nd.  

Don't know where all of the ladies are today, but I'll post anyway

I always love reading Jay's recaps. That way if I miss anything skimming through the previous day(s),  Jay saves me from posting something stupid!

Nice job Kevin! Impressive time - it is too bad your Garmin didn't start so you could catch your splits.

I've always wanted to learn how to play bridge. Is it a complicated game Ribs?

I had a 45 minute PT session with my favorite Y trainer this morning. In an attempt to help me get ready for the tough mudder race in September, we concentrated on upper body and core today. Pushups, kettle bells, planks, sit-ups on the slant board holding a 10-lb. weight (two sets of 40) and other things guaranteed to make me hurt tomorrow. Tonight, some friends and I are running a "glow run" 5k that starts at 8:00 PM. Like Dave, that's pretty close to my bedtime these days. So, after being up since 3:30 this morning to open the Y, not sure how much gas I'll have left in the tank. And some of the ladies aren't taking the race quite as seriously. They're headed down to race start at 5:00 PM to have a few beers and listen to the music. Hope I can at least finish before them!

Have a great Friday everyone.

SubDood

I don't post much, but I just saw this on my way to lunch and thought it was good enough to share:

turkeys

I've always said there are a bunch of turkeys where I work.

Easy 7.5 miles this morning in nearly perfect conditions.

Happy Friday!

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,  just sent Ribs a note.....am actually on the plane.   Had my doubts.   He's not really playing cards, but thought I'd be too insufferable to deal with affter last night's events at Fenway.  I'll get  him next time around.

Nice photo SD.

Will try to check in again over the weekend.

Have good ones, everyone!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Howdie  everyone.

13 miles for my wings this early morning by the river. I was only looking for a 10, but I got lost and ended up with 13 miles.

Son Daniel left home today back to college. All is good, but I sure am already missing my buddy, biking partners and friend.

Warrior Stampede Obstacle race here this weekend. Nor racing, but helping out. Tons of fun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

Kevin - nice racing!

Ribs - almost 68 or no, I still can't keep up with you...

Subdood - cool picture!

Since DH and I are going out of town tomorrow for an overnight at Rising Sun, Indiana, I did my LR today.  Nice and cool start, I thought I would try to do the whole run at 9:30 pace.  I made it 12 miles before I began to slow down.  Boy am I out of speed shape.....

20 miles total.

Heading out soon to couples golf league.  We couldn't ask for a lovelier day for it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yikes, BTW! Bee or hornet stings really sound painful!

Rode 24 miles today up and back on the same rail trail where I'll be running tomorrow. The trip was running related though since I did it mainly to stop at the running store and order a pair shoes that they don't normally stock. Anyone notice that when you stick to the same model shoe, every time there's an update they cost another $10? $100 used to be an ouch-point for me, but now my favorite has edged all the way up to $130. OTOH I don't buy new ones as often as I used to.

Have a good weekend everyone. Wish I could run like Holly OR Ribs!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Do it Dave! - anyone can run a 10K but I don't know

anyone who's ever run a half marathon in their sleep.

It'll be a great memory longer than any 10K will last

Take a print of your avatar to keep you awake.

I am thinking of taking your dare.  I will decide tomorrow evening at check in time.