Masters Running

Wednesday, May 21st Daily (Read 490 times)

Good morning all! Whew, another week rolls along. I am waking this morning actually startled to find that it is Wednesday. My management of the week is not going very well. Thanks to each one for responding to the question about parents who ran, etc. As Biketm Tim mentioned, it seems that the majority of us did NOT have parents who ran. However, most of us are feeling that we want to give the example and encouragemen to our kids about the benefits and value that running and exercise brings. That was a VERY interesting read yesterday. As I mentioned yesterday, our parents were from a generation that had a different mind set on all of this. Not only was exercise viewed differently, but the same thing would be true with diet. That may lead to another question for another day. Sorry that I gave away the final answer to the baseball question too soon Seemomgo. It was good that several of you had figured out the answer, the Mets being probably the surprising team to be included. One last related interesting fact is that while these four teams (Tampa Bay, San Diego, Colorado, and New York Mets) have never had a pitcher throw a 'no hitter', EVERY major league team has had at least one thrown against them. More college baseball for me again today. Yesterday we worked around some rain showers to get the games in and this will need to be done again today. Good weather is forecast for the rest of the week. LaVitaDolce Rose, W& M is not in this particular tournament but is most certainly in their Colonial League one after a good solid season. Being on the road this week is going to bring me a challenge for getting my running in. In some cases running on the road work to an advantage but probably not this week. Good luck with YOUR running today. Let us know how it goes. Joey
    Vista

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I hope you are able to get your run in Joey! How is your finger doing?? Out for 3 miles this morning by myself. Had a real restless sleep last night - probably due to the overeating last night too. I just didn't care. Today I care again. My run was sluggish because of it, heart rate a bit high, and the only thing good was that I actually ran without my headlamp for the first time this season. Smile Need to go get a puppy fix before heading into work again. Been a tough week there . . . . Happy Hump Day!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Out this morning for a short 3.5 mile recovery run at 9:36 min/mile pace. Avg HR 129. I had intended to run 5 or so but overslept a little and could only squeeze in the 3.5. It seemed weird that I would "need" a recovery run after only running a 7 miler yesterday, but it was the right thing to do. It sems very wrong that conditioning goes so quickly when getting into good shape takes so long. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, It must be the full moon on the way....still not sleeping much even though I was back in my own bed last night. One of the running Js isn't sleeping either and we e-mailed one another at midnight and made a running plan. Out at 5:45 AM for 11.3 miles at 8:47ish pace. We took to the hills and ran a really hilly loop, but kept it steady. We whined about the sleepless nights, but cherished the chance to run together and well before most everyone was rolling with the day. I sent her off with a steaming mug of coffee and now the work of the day awaits. Chilly at 39F under clear skies here in Western, MA (rain later today they predict). Happy Wednesday all---like you vista, this week is disappearing before my eyes. CNYrunnner/Karin
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. no run today, but this popped up while looking at my morning online funnies. Seemed appropriate for this forum.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I did a little research and am doing a little research in the areas that Vista touched on yesterday. I found it interesting that Dwight Gooden threw a no hitter but it was with the Yankees and not with the Mets. Also interesting that Johnny VanderMeer threw no hitters in consecutive starts-wow! I am putting together my research proposal for my Master's thesis. I am going to do a study on how parental role modeling relates to children's BMI and exercise patterns. Like CNYRunner I find this week is going by extremely fast, luckily our school district has Friday and Monday off for Memorial Day Weekend. DW and I are taking advantage and driving to Pittsburgh to take in a Cubs game Friday night. An nice relaxing 6 miler in 42 degree temps. Nobody passed me and I wasn't on a treadmill- thanks for the laugh Stumpy.
                Good morning, all! Stumpy - great cartoon!! Joey - best of luck with getting your runs in this week! {{{{Mary}}}}} only a few more days till the holiday weekend - hang in there. CNY - sounds like a great start for your day in spite of your sleeping problems. Speaking of sleeping problems. This was the second day in a row that Jesse's digestive system decided to strike in the predawn hours. Yesterday she waited until 4 am - this morning it was 3 am. I just can't go back to sleep after these episodes, so I feel like a zombie this morning. No more new treats for awhile until she gets back on a reasonable schedule. 3 easy miles for me this morning followed by 35 minutes of abs and upper body weights. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Wednesday, huh....I thought it was Thursday today. I just gained a day... Smile 10.19 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace on a perfect morning. 60'ish , Honeysuckle in the air and everything covered with dew from last nights thunderstorms. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning everyone, 4 days to go..and the taper is getting to me. I am cooking so much since I cannot run and all I want to do is eat which I am resisting. Help. Going for my last massage this morning. Temperature for race day has taken a turn for the better with 50-73F temperatures (not bad but still too hot for me)sunny with cloudy breaks and a light 5K Westerly wind. 10% chance of rain. Sleeping well. Girls are running the Nortel Kids Marathon just before I come in to the marathon. They have been running 1K over the last 41 days with their school and they get to finish the last 1.2 with thousands of other kids. They cross the official finish line, get a regular medal, good bag, t-shirt...post race food and get to wait for their dad in the recovery area..how cool is that. Take care and run for me today..I need to burn off nervous energy. L is better and running again. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all Smile While we as a society may be "trying" to be more fit and healthy, childhood obesity is at a all time high...epidemic proportions actually. Something really needs to change fast, or I hate to see the heart disease and health problems coming down the pike in 20 years or so...sad commentary to say the least. Always nice to hear about your runs Mary...was Brinkley upset with you. Yeah, I hate when I over eat....then the next day I care too and get back to my normal routine. Last Thurs we had a lunch carry in where I ate waaaay to much. My run that night was the worst ever and felt sick the whole time...like to never made it home. That's some great early morning run there Karin....your an impressive runner Smile Bill....you will be as strong as ever sooner than you think...always enjoy reading about your runs. Thanks for the funny cartoon stumpy. I have a question to ask about a couple of 10K races coming up....my first 10K races ever....well, a couple of questions actually. 1 - Knowing my type A personality, I know I will go out too fast at the start like a 5K which will make for a agonizing 6.2 miles. As others have said here....a 10K is like a 5K that seems to never end. Since my fastest 5K this year is 20:01, would running about 22:00 for the first 5K be a reasonable plan, then put the hammer down the last 5K. Just curious because I want to do well and not blow up. 2 - As Karin and others have done.... I like to run/jog to my races as a good warm up. These 10K's are 5 miles from home and I would like to run there also for these races, then run home. I find running there for my 5K's was a perfect warm up. Do you guys/gals think this would be a little much to perform my best in the 10K races....I think it would be fine myself, and would make for a good 16 mile day. Just pondering things here this morning.... Have a great hump day all....can't wait for a 3 day weekend coming up Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

CNY, I'd love to have been able to run "11.3 miles at 8:47ish pace" with you. Easy for you no doubt, but a really fine, near-MP run for me. That would be a very cool workout to do. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

....hope the finger is better vista, just make sure it scabs Red and not Yellow......soak off the scab if it does... ========== ....35min street run...........push off/shoulder turn worked well, knee was still sore for some reason..... ..................good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I went back to the gym for the first time since April 4th. After going through my upper body workout and a couple exercises with the legs I did 3 slow miles on the treadmill. It's hard to run when you're already tired. I didn't do anything yesterday and skipped posting, so here is my answer to the question about parents and running. My mother had too many medical issues to do anything like run, but my father was always in great shape. He didn't run, but he rode his bike to work everyday (unless there was too much snow) until he retired in his 60's. (And his job for most of his 40+ years was physical, so he really was in good shape.)

My parents didn't run. In fact, I don't remember them doing much of anything exercise-wise. Maybe some walking after dinner, but not much. I had trouble finding the RA web site this morning around 6:30 ET -- anyone else? I guess I'm posting my runs for the last two days, yesterday was 5 GA (about 8:20/mi, 153 AHR), and today was 5 easy (about 8:40/mi 148 AHR). I looked at where we are in relation to Portland Oct 5, and this Sunday will be 19 weeks left -- yikes! I guess I'd better get serious. Well, I won't do anything stupid -- I need to ramp up at a reasonable rate. While I was only "out" completely for a week, I've not been running much in the last 4 weeks, and I can see I've lost some conditioning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Nice run CNYrunner. I went out with my TP for some speedwork this morning. I had suggested 12 miles with 7 at HM pace or so. Very "or so" considering my current post injury conditioning. Anyway she talked me into 4x1 mile intervals at HM pace. Good thing too! I nearly died trying to do them. Tongue Worse, if that is my HM pace I am in big trouble come my July marathon! The last one was at 7:15. Ugh! Then it was 5 miles back home. Nearly had to crawl it. On the other hand this was a really good workout and hopefully will help me get back to where I was. I am thinking of running the Ironhorse Half Marathon in Simsbury which is a week from Sunday to get a race in under my belt. My DW has said there is not a chance she is coming out and is making noises objecting to my going. Sigh. Good Wednesday all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/