Masters Running

Eastern States 20 mile race---CNYrunner can't count! (Read 330 times)

Eastern States 20-mile race (Three states and one race) March 30, 2008 11 AM 33F at the start—43F-45F (not exactly sure) at finish winds at 10 mph (guessing here) on the bridges and the finish Stats Male overall winner: David Bedoya 1:48.46 (31) (course record: Ed Sheehan 1:46:17 ’94 ) Female overall winner: Jodie Elger 2:10.14 (48) (course record: Emily Levan 2:01:49 ’05 ) CNYrunner time: 2:38:51 (7:57 pace) Overall Place: 134/573 Masters place (40—49): 6/77 Fashion (if you can call it that) Purple and grey Addidas classic control sneakers, black Capri length pants, black long-sleeved shirt (until I ripped it off at mile 15)----white Asics NYC Marathon 2003 long sleeve shirt, orange ‘Cuse cap and prescription sunglasses Goals 2:40 (8:00 pace the whole way ----should feel “easy”) 2:35 (7:45ish pace----if gas in the tank/should feel comfortably hard) 2:30 (Coach Mary said try this if I was feeling frisky at mile 17 and could fly in….) The Race Mr. CNYrunner woke me up at 5:45 AM with a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. He really is a fabulous man and knew that I would be hyper about eating early enough. I usually wake up every hour on the hour before a race and he had to nudge me awake…uh, oh. Boogie the beagle nosed his way into the kiddo’s room and after some groaning and grumbling, we were all ready and out the door at 7:15 AM. We made the trek to Kittery, Me (race start) along Route 2 and then up 495 (2.5 hours). It was only 17F, so I was hoping for at least 10 more degrees. The sun was spectacular and the sky even more so. Not one cloud in the sky the whole day and the snow was sparkling beautifully along Route 2. We got to Traip Academy (local school) just before 10 AM----perfect. I hung out in the school lobby area and affixed my number and started to feel some serious butterflies. I came into this race on some big miles and I was interested in seeing what I could do even though tired and at the breaking point. This was not a target race and yet, when the gun goes off I am transported back to countless starting lines when I want to zoom. That will come back to haunt me….and Yes! I know better. A woman with a broad smile approached us and it was deez4boys! She was there with a runner friend. She is beautiful and even nicer and more enthusiastic than her posts here would suggest. So awesome to meet her! I introduced her to my boys (I call my husband and son-- my boys…..) and we chatted for a bit. We didn’t end up going to the finish party/award ceremony at the Ashworth hotel, so I hope she met up with Henrun and Marj (doing the half-marathon and that started elsewhere so as to finish at the same place). I am sorry we didn’t meet Henry and Marj. Next time? One of my running pals was there as well (her parents live near Rye Beach right along the course). We walked to the start together---she had a great race and finished in ---2:36 (4/77 masters)-- running a May marathon. The sun was gaining height in the sky and it felt pretty good outside---33F or so. Phew. The race was chip timed—although not with a mat at the start, just the finish----so I lined up at about the middle of the pack, not wanting to be too far back and not wanting to get run over by the serious racers. The chips looked like diaphragms (sorry….but they did!). They were these 4” clear discs with a wire/chip thing encircling the edge. Hard to explain, but I guess they worked! Timing company is owned by none other than Dave Camire---Mr. Coolrunning I didn’t hear anything, but all of a sudden the bodies were moving and we were off. The course is spectacular as it follows the coast past the Portsmouth Navy yard (the oldest continuously operating Navy yard in the US) and winds down the coast through Hampton Beach and Rye Beach in NH and then ends up just over the bridge into Salisbury, MA. Dick and Ricky Hoyt were there-----the amazing father/son team---Dick pushes Ricky’s wheelchair----through Boston marathons, Ironman races and so forth. I am sure many here know their story. I love seeing them at races. One of my running pals went to high school with Ricky in Westfield, MA and remembers him well. Amazing. I passed them at mile 1---7:50 on the nose. Miles I remember: Mile 1---7:50----feeling fine, light and all systems go Mile 3---22:30---feeling fine still and rolling into NH now Mile 6---44:23---this feels too easy----worried now that I am going too fast Mile 9---1:14-----What the heck?!!! How could this be mile 9!!!!---turns out it was mile 10----EEK---I just went through that faster than the 10 mile race I ran in February----tactical error that I can’t even blame on my poor eyesight since I had my prescription shades on! I just spaced out and lost track of the mile markers spray painted on the road. Of course I didn’t realize this until Mile 12 and I had just run a 7:15 mile to get back on track. OY Mile 13---trying to dial it back, but went through at 1:38…slow down!! Mile 14---tripped over the leash of a beagle running with the guy in front of me….GRRRR…..fell, dropped my water bottle and got right back up…beagles are cute, but not in races! Mile 15---saw my husband and son and hit the wrong button on my watch as I was ripping off my top layer to throw it to them…..pooh Mile 16-19---feeling every one of the miles on my legs now and wishing for a hill to break up the relentless stress on my calves from the flat course, arms pumping though and running tall Mile 20---2:37:34 on my watch…reset and added and 2:38.56 on the clock/chip results….relief! Tactical Errors Remember that 8 is followed by the number 9 and not the number 10!!!! Pay attention and quit gawking at the Atlantic ocean as it pounds the rocks just feet away…..Hydrate better and eat a bit more during the race-----I haven’t been training with anything but water for runs of 15 miles or more. I had two gels with me and only ate half of one at mile 16---too late. I also had enough salt on my face at the finish for a nice dermabrasion----dehydrated. So why I am happy when a 7:27 pace would be far better in the second half of the race rather than for the first 12 miles? I pulled it back and calmed my racing jets and I am happy I did that. I have an overwhelming drive at times and this was one of those times when I could have ripped it to the finish forgetting that I am 43 and not 23. I would then suffer all week and that’s not the deal now. Yeah, I am a wuss, but need to arrive in Hopkinton with fresh legs and a calm focus. So, patience is best folks and when it feels really easy, watch those mile markers carefully! Thanks for reading! CNYrunner P.S. I am pretty sure Mainerunnah from CR passed me in mile 1. I remember his photos from a fall at the Beach to Beacon race or race near then. He was running with a friend and I was too shy to utter: “Hey, I think you posted on CR when I was lurking and now I post on……” he was running strong and the results indicate that as well!
      Well done Karin. 6th AG is pretty impressive! Glad your guys were there for you. This was a tune up race and it served the purpose well. You are going to shine at Boston. Just remember to keep that early exuberance in check. You are SO PRIMED for a great race in Beantown. BELIEVE Karin! Skip

Marathon Maniac #957

Wait,...what was that blur that just went by?....why, that's CNYrunner! Way to go, amazing woman!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I changed my mind. The next time you're in S. Florida, don't call me. I don't need the embarrassment of seeing how I won't be able to keep up with you. Wink Excellent race, especially your smarts in dialing it back - keeping yourself in check for Boston. That is going to be fun to watch from afar. Shy Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Great job. That sounds like a great race. Three states huh? Just think, at the pace you were running you could have finished off the other three New England states by supper time....(opps...."suppa" time). So THAT is what a diaphragm looks like huh? I don't think I have ever seen one. We have a girl on the local university basketball team whose name is Kittery Maine. I guess that is better than calling her Moosehead Maine (or Mattawamkeag or Passadumkeag or Wytopitlock or Melunkus or Meddybemps). You are going to have a great run in Boston. Thanks for sharing this fun and inspiring report. Joey
            Vista
              Karin - You are AMAZING!! it was so wonderful to meet you and "your boys" and you ran a FABULOUS race!! your descriptions are perfect!! you also gave me insight as to why my calves and toes cramped so bad - maybe it was the flatness of the course altho i usually hate hills and maybe it was because i didnt have my 2nd gel - i bet that would have helped cuz i too was covered with salt at the end. YOU ROCK!! 21 DAYS TIL BOSTON!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

If this is how you tune up, I would hate to race you! Very nice job of implementing your plan, and glad you got to meet some friends. Spareribs
                PJH

Great race, CYNrunner! You are indeed fast and ready for Boston. I'm afraid I wouldn't have the nerve to run a race with my dog! PJ
                  Henrun

Great race and excellent report. You were only 13 min. behind me and I ran 6.9 miles less Wink. We'll get a chance to meet yet. Good luck in Boston-we'll look for you.
                      Great race, CNY. You ran a fast, smart, one. It was neat you got to see deez and others you knew and share in the experience with your family. Congratulations. TomS
                        Whoosh! Geez, I ran a tune-up race this weekend too, but I was no where near the 20 mile marker at 2:38. Wave when you pass me at Boston, please? Congrats! grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

What discipline you showed out there! A great compromise of great finish time but leaving room for Bawston! You are super speedy!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

arf

MM #405

Great Race CNY!! Wowza Shocked I wish I could run 20 that fast! Great placing and I love it how you call your hubby one of your boys. Big grin Great that the whole family was out there supporting you! Congrats again!
                            evanflein

I can't believe they'd let a dog on the course, much less a beagle!!?? Good job recovering from that, and the jackrabbit start. Oh boy do I know that story! Congratulations on an excellent race, and getting to meet deez4boyz is a real bonus! I love masters/boomers meetings...! Can't wait to meet you in Boston!
                                Thanks for the props folks....Does a girl good! Vista---you made me laugh so hard. To be named Kittery Maine though! My husband snapped a shot of the infamous beagle blocking me as I tried to turn into the finish chute. I'll try to post it. I can laugh about it now, but I was annoyed at the time. It was such a spectacular day and made today's sleet/rain/wintry mix less painful. CNYrunner