Masters Running

Friday 12/19 Master Runs - Last shopping weekend! (Read 434 times)

This morning was just a get-in-some miles type of day as I look forward to running with the Big Boys and Girls tomorrow. So a nice easy 5 miles with the last 4 miles at 8:50 pace or so. It's nice that my easy pace has been coming down. Love running in this weather. Last shopping weekend everyone. I'm done but for those of you who aren't there seem to be an abundance of sales if you look around. I did virtually all my shopping online. The prices were better, no tax and the local stores wouldn't match - even though I would have liked to have given my money to some of them. If you're going to buy online, do it quick to ensure arrival by Christmas. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Bill - I so impressed with your shopping tips!! I am done too, but the tonsil-less kid didn't have time to get 2 of her important presents (BF and Dad) so I'll be doing that for her sometime soon. I picked a good day to not run. We've gotten 6" of snow since 3:00 this morning and it is still coming down steady. Days like today I love my 4-wheel drive, but on the other hand if I didn't have it maybe I could stay home..... The boss is taking us to the Country club for a Christmas lunch today though, so I better go. Tim - I hope your spirits are better today. TGIF!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks Byll. We did all of ours online too. Just too easy. I haven't been to a mall in months. Off today (til Jan 5th) so I got up at 4 am for my favorite run Confused 54F very dense fog. Too foggy to use the headlamp so let eyes adjust and ran by the light of the relecting strips on the road. Sometimes could only see about 10 feet ahead on the road. No problem with cars because the few out lit the sky like in "Close Encounters". Nice 14 miles of hills. The run started off (first 2 miles) very rusty due to no run yesterday but the legs came to life after the first 300 ft hill. Due to the limited visibility it was like running on a treadmill outside Smile No sightings of anything. 14 miles in 1:57:21 (8:23 pace, AHR 158)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - 14 miles this moring Perch! Sounds like a very interesting run - nice job!! The snow is falling at a rate of 2" per hour. It was definitely a white knuckle drive in and I find myself wondering what my avg. heart rate was. Wink I'm here safe and sound though.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Perch—that sounds like a wild run (and a nice vacation). Aamos has the post of the day week month yesterday. Hang in there. Good to see Tall post. Whatever happened to DH? Did I miss something? Interesting pace discussions yesterday (though I am curious as to what Walt was holding back on). The usefulness of HR monitors is another important point. I use mine almost all the time, though I don’t use any alarms and I only look at the readings on those H&H days where I’m walking that fine line between pushing and blowing up. However, I do look at the metrics afterward and often find them useful. A higher-than-normal HR is a red flag, for example. I was interested to see that I maxed out (179) climbing that big hill I my recent half and still felt pretty decent doing it. I think that's a good sign. 5.2 easy miles @ 8:32. My Ipod randomly pulled up mcsolar’s classical mix (does he still do those?) and the end of my run coincided perfectly with the blaring horns of Handel’s “La Rejouissance.” A bit of overkill for an easy 5-miler but it did make me smile. Forecast is for a nasty cold rain Sunday morning so I may move my long run ahead to tomorrow and take it especially easy. Have a good weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Schlickerry Schtreets today...13 degrees and 20 mph wind out of the NE...3 miles at an 8:23 pace...Ice Ice Baby...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Breger - you couldn't get me near a mall this weekend.... Perch - nice run! Mary - good luck fighting the crowds... Tongue Tramps - same forecast here, but I have plans at church tomorrow morning, so I may be doing my LR on the TM Sunday. In trying to figure out what I did different in the summer of 2007 to make me so much faster than I am now, I have come up with what I think made the difference: I raced. A lot. I ran 9 races between March and November of 2007, almost one per month, including 2 marathons, 2 HMs, one 5-miler, and four 5Ks. I never seem to be able to push myself in training runs the way I do in races, and I ran faster in those 5Ks than I had ever run before on my own. Something to think about. Truth be told, I did have intentions of racing more this last summer, until I injured myself. If I am able to, I will try next year to race more, especially 5Ks. I hate 5Ks, actually. They hurt. But I think running more of them (if I don’t injure myself) might do a lot for improving my speed. No run for me today – light x-training instead: leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, dumbbell curls, lateral raises, lunges, push-ups, bench dips, and stability ball crunches. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No running for me since last Saturday. It's been cold and snowy, but that's not even the best excuse. I think I'm just being lazy. One nice side effect, though, is that I was able to run down the stairs for the first time in a long, long time. It surprised me, actually. I guess I'm so used to my ankle and lower calf on my left leg being various stages of stiff, sore, or in pain, that I've forgotten what it was like to not be stiff, sore or in pain. Shouldn't I be getting used to this one of these days? I don't run, fast...I don't run far, why do I hurt all of the time? Schools all over the area are canceled today. My daughter took one final yesterday, a day early in prep for predicted outage. I was surprised thinking that some kids would complain that they lost a day of study. However, the final was 50 questions and they only had to do 30...of their choosing! The other final she will take online today over the internet and it's allowed to be open book, obviously. Why couldn't I get those kindof breaks when I was a kid? Good runs to everyone...I'll be out there again this weekend, braving the cold and ice here in the midwest. Can't keep up with the daily thread these days, but warm thoughts to everyone on the disabled list and even warmer thoughts to everyone running outside in these freezing temps and icy conditions. Janet

Renee the dog

Ah, woke up to no rain as predicted. Took my time getting out and was blessed to run my first mile with my hero riding on her bike. She's 86 and rides 10 mi every morning, then walks in the afternoon. We had a lovely time chatting and then Renee and I headed to the beach and did another 6 miles. We were the only ones on the beach 'till we got to the southern tip of the island and finally found another woman walking along. Renee was off leash at that point and totally showboated. She cranked up her pace to infinity and zoomed past he woman and around her (not within 100 ft). The woman was hysterical laughing at Renee's antics and probably relieved that my dog isn't one who insists on any contact. (If she were, I'd never have her off-leash). I thought of how much having Renee running off-leash restores my humor and joy with running. Soooo, anyone who's lost his/her mojo, you have an invitation to come run on the beach with my silly dog. She'll make you happy to be a runner again. Big grin Going out shopping tonight with the kids Bill. They have to pick out gifts for Mr Nono and their aunt, uncle and cousin. This is always the most fun shopping to be had as they pick some crazy and some brilliant gifts. MIL comes tomorrow for a week. G*d help my liver.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning all. looking forward to the storm that Hopeful has now, later this afternoon. 8-12" by the end and then another storm on Sunday. May need snowshoes for my long run. Today was 3.2 miles on what the skiers might call loose and frozen granular. Chunky enough for traction, so I could tuck my yaktrax in my waistband and run unencombered. 28:35 at 23 F. Felt a little like trail running. eta: Nono--I would love to run with my Max off leash, but he's one dog that absolutely requires (and seeks)contact. the more the better. Some people don't think that a 90 lb Golden bearing down on them at warp speed has good intentions. Go figure. The most dangerous part of him is his tail.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Holly--good point about the importance of racing and a great example of how having a running log can be useful. I'm one of those people who tends to be conservative in running. I'd rather stay healthy than push it and be on the DL. Signing up for local races, though, does give me a chance to push a bit even though I rarely go all out.

Be safe. Be kind.

flatland mountaineer

Below 0 here this morn on the plains. Just couldn't get my mojo going enough to get out the door before work. We used to always have livestock to feed and ice to break to get me going in the morning. Can't say I miss that. Not alot going on here this afternoon so gonna try and sneak a run in then. Maybe by posting here it will commit me to getting it done. I have had a 305 for years but never used the HR strap. Might have to give it a try.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Slippery and short run last night with my son, 3.7 miles, slow pace. Holly I noticed that your times for the races you have run are very consistent; by which I mean you don't slow down very much going from one distance to the next, a sign that you trained well for each distance. Very often I see people running much faster in the shorter distances and much slower at longer races, due to lack of mileage and lack of long runs, I suppose. I am very impressed with your marathon time, though I can match you at the shorter distances; certainly makes it clear to me what I need to do if I want to run a marathon. simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Wonderful post by Aamos yesterday! It's always good to be reminded of the saints in our midst. I think the work that you are doing Aamos is fantastic, even if it does sometimes bring you down. I have represented abused and battered women in juvenile court through one of our local pro bono programs and it is rewarding, though also somewhat dispiriting. I hope that you find some purpose in your running soon. Perch, very nice 14 miler today! I am planning 14 on Sunday and hope that it goes as well as yours, though I am not interested in fog! Holly, I hope that you have found the answer to your slower race time. Maybe lots of racing is what you need to be faster. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the summer. Nono, sending you patience vibes! Good to see Tall post yesterday. I have a little twingy hamstring this morning too - will have to break out the foam roller tonight. Leslie, what I meant by a small HR range is that even at easy pace, my HR is higher than most folks - I think in the 150 range but then it doesn't go up a whole lot higher even at tempo - 160s. That means I have a very tight range to deal with and I find it frustrating sometimes. Unlike most folks who can run easy from say 130 to 150, my easy range is like 150 to 155. I may give it another shot, but I like to run at least a couple runs a week with it off so I can enjoy myself. 5 miles on the TM this morning at the gym. I kept right at 8:00 miles so as to be sure to stay at E pace. Did some squats, lunges, leg extensions and core work to top off the workout. I am not done shopping but hope to finish up this weekend. I still need those running socks! Meg

Once a runner . . .

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, that sounds like a surreal run in the dark and the fog! "Like running on a treadmill outside" - Big grin Why did you get up at 4am if you're on vacation, though? Aamos, that was a lovely post yesterday - thanks for stopping by! Hope to hear more from you soon! I hope Pedey doesn't tell all of Dan's heartfelt secrets! I don't have a heart rate monitor - I have a Forerunner 205. I don't think I'd like wearing the chest strap. But if it's that useful for training, I should think about getting one. Handymom, glad you stopped in to say hi! I'm glad to hear your week off made your ankle/calf feel better! Nono, when Tazzie was a puppy we were on the Oregon coast for a family reunion, and we let her run off-leash on the beach. She was so funny, and I totally know what you mean about it giving you so much joy to watch Renee! But I have the same issue that Stumpy does: my dogs like to make contact with people and dogs we meet. So I only run them off leash on our dead-end road, but put them on leashes for the loop around the neighborhood. It's supposed to be in the 40's today in town, with a cold front coming through for the weekend. The high temps at home this weekend are predicted to be in the single digits. So I'm gonna try to get out for a long-ish run at lunchtime today (hope my boss won't mind). Good luck to the midwesterners and northeasterners with the big snowstorms! Hope you all stay safe and warm.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.