Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 3.16.14 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

We snuck away for the weekend, to visit a friend on Long Island (NY). 6.7 RW miles yesterday, and 9.6 mile this morning. The winds this morning were fierce, and walking into them was a struggle. Coming back, with the wind at my back, was like floating. The setting fool moon was gorgeous!! Now DW is making GF waffles, so I gotta go...

You're right Stumpy - I'm signing up for as many of the Seacoast Series races as I can this year.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Sunrise on the Monument Valley course.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good morning Jay, Carolyn and all to follow. We've had that wind here too, Jay. Just gotta plan which way your route starts so you can "float" home as you so nicely posted.

Awesome pictures Carolyn - and great race yesterday. Will you be giving us more details about how everything went?

7.5 miles yesterday - outside - though the temp was only 15° when I started. Really? March is half over! Some warmer weather would be nice. This morning it was only 9° so I decided to accompany DH to the Y. Ran 2 miles on the treadmill and got bored so spent the next 50 minutes doing free weights and machines for upper body, then some core work.

Today is DH's 69th birthday, also our little Ben's 3rd birthday. I'm making angel food cake for DH and cupcakes for the little guys. DH also ordered grilled tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, asparagus and salad. Looks like I'll be spending the rest of the day in the kitchen.  Ben had a party yesterday at one of the local pizza places and got a "fart blaster gun." When you shoot it, it makes the sound of - well - someone passing gas. I told DH that at age 69, this wasn't a good gift for him

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Tramps

Stumpy—hope that hamstring’s feeling better today.

Tet’s doing 10-mile training runs.  The end must be near.

Tammy—great racing with David.  Funny to see him getting all that attention!

Paul—nice AG placement!  Great way to start the season.

Ribs—glad you’re feeling good about your race.

Mari—great picture of the eagles.  I get to see some here fairly regularly but I’ve never seen so many at once.  I always thought they were fairly solitary.

Dave—hope you’re feeling better.  Eating healthier is never a bad idea.

Leslie—sorry about the big bonk.  Nutrition?

NHLA—free beer can’t be bad.  Nice race.

Carolyn—wow, that sounds tough.  Gaiters next time?  But that picture is beautiful.

No wind here.  Very warm day in the 70s yesterday (tough for RnR runners in DC who weren’t used to it) but perfect 40s today for the Shamrock runners.  I went out late morning yesterday for a 12-mile trail run.  It felt very hot and I could have used more water than I brought; that time of year again.  Today, a nice little 5 miler to make-up for a missed day earlier this week.  I barely made 40-miles for the week, which is my run-regularly goal these days.

Winter's not over yet, though.  Forecast is for 4-6 inches of snow tonight. Really?

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, if he says he wants to save it, that's a great thing. One of my boys is a spender, the other a saver and I am blessed to at least get one out of two.

Well done Wild. Not only for doing the ultra and finishing in the money, but also completing such a challenging race. I'd have dropped out in those conditions.

A word of explanation. I was not planning to race yesterday.  the idea was that I would pace SpareTire. But he didn't show up as he was sick.  So now I'm down there alone and figured I might as well put some effort into it.  Glad I did.

Today I did a jog/walk with Lucy von Sheltie of 3.3 miles at the park.  Felt fine. Spareribs

pfriese

What a brutal wind we had for this morning's run with the running club marathon training group. The 35mph sustained wind with 45mph gusts made for much unpleasantness. When you throw in the light stinging rain and 37 degrees, it was enough for me to turn around at the half marathon training groups turn-around point with them. It still was better than running on a treadmill.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

What a brutal wind we had for this morning's run with the running club marathon training group. The 35mph sustained wind with 45mph gusts made for much unpleasantness.

Same wind was here, too, Paul, although we did not get the stinging rain at least.  I went out dressed for the temperature of 28 degrees, but didn't count on the wind, which felt like it was holding me up at times.  I had intended 19-20 miles, but wimped out and stopped at 16.6 miles.  I'll try again next week.  I am definitely not marathon ready, but oh well.

Jlynne - sounds yummy!  And maybe a fart gun is a good present for a 69yo - he can always blame it on the gun. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Jlynne - sounds yummy!  And maybe a fart gun is a good present for a 69yo - he can always blame it on the gun. 

I always blame it on DW...

TammyinGP

Tet, I don't dare even tell David about that seahawks race because he'd want to drive up there for that!  lol.

got in a good 10 mile run today which gives me 25.1 for the week. longest week of running probably since the marathon last May!  Now it's time to get outside and enjoy the sunshine - painting the neon green trim on David's Seahawks clubhouse.

Tammy

New skirt in town

Some greta racing in here! Such an inspiration to see Carolyn kicking butt in these ultras, and to see Ribs pacing himself to a swift finish so quickly after his own ultra!

Just 4.1 easy miles today, bringing me to 50.7 for the week. A few more weeks of ramping up to another 60+ mile week and then it's taper time. Or, as I prefer to call it, obsessively checking the Weather Channel and foam rolling.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

...when did tet EVER do TrainingRuns??...........did he sleep next to a Pod by any chance??

=============

ok, one more Funeral Story about my dad and I'll drop it-

he told the minister at the hospital

''I hope God doesn't disapoint me''

''How could GOD disapoint you???'' said the minister

''well,

if I don't wake up Dead tomorrow I am going to be VERY disapointed'' he said

(it's hard

to find a Good StraightMan)

we had a good service

and

then stood around at the memorial service

laughing at  all the CrazyShitte he and his friends had done over the decades

it actually

put the ''Fun'' back into ''Funeral''

my Mom's name was Ann

and

Pop's last words were ''Annie, take my Hand''.................which was perfect.......

ok,

no more about it,

but I just wanted to Brag on him One More Time.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

New skirt in town

TW, brag away! Great story.

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

my Mom's name was Ann

and

Pop's last words were ''Annie, take my Hand''.................which was perfect.......

Perfect!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe wildchild's RR can become a "my most brutal Marathon" post.

I've never run in such winds, let alone ever heard of it either,

and all of a sudden, three of us did it.  wow.

Tom - I think your dad has the perfect straightman. <<<(that would be you)>>>

Believe me, the inadvertent 10-mile training run yesterday was not vertent at all, . . .

and should last at least through May or June, if not December, . . . of 2020..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy, I hope the pulled hamstring is not too bad.  tet, great  that you got reunited with your "stuff".  Tammy, great 10K for you and 5K for your son with a big win and $$.  pfriese, good job on 3rd in AG in your 8K.  ribs, nice St Pat's race with 4th in AG.  mari, great picture of the bald eagles.  Dave, I hope you get feeling better.  wild, impressive 50K with 3rd female.  Steve, nice 5K with Tag. wild, wonderful sunrise picture.  jlynne, happy birthday to your husband and Ben.

Nice long runs for DrRobin, tet (wow), mari, fatozzig, Holly, and Tammy.

This morning, I did a St Pats race in Bay City.  They have both a 5K and an 8K which in the past have been run simultaneously.  This year their start times were 2 hours apart and you could run both for what they termed the "Irish Double".  I got talked into the double against my better judgment but survived the experience.  The temperature was about 10° and there was a pretty good wind.  In the 8K, my pace was 10:52, I was 773/924 OA and 2/2 in my AG (70-74).  In the 5K, my pace was 10:36.  My results didn't show up on line but it looks like I was about 1636/2487 OA and 4/5 in my AG.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS