Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.26.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

The good news is that we had new gutters installed on our house yesterday - the old ones were leaking more water than they were transporting. The bad news is that one (only one) of the downspouts sounded like someone hitting a snare drum when it rained last night. Of course, that is the downspout right outside our bedroom. I know that is where the problem was because I went out at 3am to investigate. All of the other downspouts were quietly doing their job, as expected. I don't know what the solution is, but I guess I'll be making a phone call today...

We're leaving this afternoon for Falmouth, MA. We're staying overnight because we have to catch an 8am ferry tomorrow to Martha's Vineyard so we can watch a nephew officially take over as the commander of the Coast Guard station there. It's very exciting for him and his family, and we're very proud of him. We're also glad to have them relatively close by for at least the next few years, and to have a good excuse to spend more time on the Vineyard. When we head back home tomorrow night, we'll be bringing a 17 year-old niece (from a different family) to stay with us for a week or so.

HERE is a link to the photos of the sand sculptures from last week's competition here. Impressive work, eh?

No workout today, as I tried to get a bit more sleep after the drum quieted down. So it goes.

Enjoy your Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Wow, Jay.  Those sand sculptures are impressive.

I'm envious of folks on or going to the cool, breezy Cape.  Enjoy.

Stumpy--I've had the ghost run thing happen on my upload a couple of times but then it just stopped.  No idea why.

Mari--I forgot to answer the other day; thanks for asking. TriBee's working hard at it but this isn't just a temporary injury, it's a full-blown herniated disk with long-term--probably permanent--issues.  Right now the focus is seeing if enough rehab can allow her to avoid surgery.  Some light swimming and spinning allowed but no running allowed at all. Major drag.

EZ 7 for me today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Nice morning here: 55°, clear & dry.

4 easy for me.  I had a 7:00 am meeting and didn't get started early enough to do any more than that.

Mariposai

Tramps, I am so sorry to read about TriBee. Please give her a butterfly hug from me today.

I had a long, but very rewarding day at work yesterday, which made me exhausted and with a need of sleeping in today. No running to report, but as soon I am done posting I will hit the yoga mat.

I know that many of you here have had the chance to meet my son David in person. He is in Macedonia now as a Peace Corps volunteer. His work made it in the local national Daily yesterday and today he is being interviewed by 4 different TV stations. All this media attention will be terrific for his project. Here is the link to the article, you can have google translate it for you into English.

http://www.dnevnik.mk/default.asp?ItemID=2EA6D44CDB4E5A41A52C256536D3A2E6

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

OK, I get to ask Fletch, what are striders?   I know, Karin and others of you use that term, but I really am sort of not able to define it so I'm just going to confess my ignorance and ask.  And thanks in advance.

How are you feeling about Mt. Hood, Leslie?   Coming up in a few, right?

So FB and the News, Ribs, but not us, right?  You're not leaving us in the lurtch for the summer, please no?

Happy belated anniversary, but most sincerely, Erika and Peter.  You two are such a good match, or so it seems to me.  Got things in perspective, enjoy each other, independent, balanced (like saving the champagne until the deck is finished).    To many more!

Agree with you Jay on enke's pithy comment about the bald boys.  And congrats to your nephew; that's pretty huge, no?  ISn't the prez going to be there soon?  Let us know what kind of headaches that creates....can only imagine.  Anyone enjoying the coverage of the prez as the "bear" (ala Secret Service), getting cabin fever of late and going out for walks to Starbucks and Chipotle?

So sorry to learn aboutTriBee's injury, Tramps.  Give her my best.  Hope she's able to really get into her swimming this summer.

hiya tet, so good to remember tall.  Thanks for keeping track of my stats, too.  I hadn't realised that was a seoncd best.  Really can't get you to the SF Marathon next month?  Miss you.

Let us know if you find out what the charge is on your neighbor, Mary, Amos asked nosely......or perhaps it was just her old public defender cells kicking in for a bit......

Rained last night on our fun run, felt so good.......and then fell asleep with the Sox on, monitoring on and off, and So Good, we won one!

Oh, and at the fun run, which is sponsored by a local running store, learned about a new FUll and Half marathon, November 15 in Tampa,  that will benefit Adoptive Famiies and Orphans worldwide.   Chosen Marathon Tampa

Being prudent this week, mileage is less and running more slowly.  Eight this am at just under 9 minute miles.  Maybe the bridge tonight with the Speedsters, but slow.

Whoosh, June just flew by faster than Tag chasing the Penguin......or Bugs Bunny eating an ice cream cone.  Hope he got some of DW's last night.....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Mari, wow, your son is doing fabulous things.  And you certainly can see you in him, both in his face and in his work.  Thanks for sharing that, and it was cool to see it as it appeared in the local paper.  Please give him my best wishes for continued success.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Fletch

C-R - Nice 7 mile run.  Germany AND USA, huh.  I guess today IS tough for you!

Stumpy - Nice run.  I feel your pain/heat.  71 degrees, 83% humidity here at 6:30 this morning.

Evanflein - dinner with friends on a dreary day...nice use of a rest day.

SteveP - ice cream...    ice cream that makes the wife happy...

Henrun - sounds like a good trip to Cape Cod!

enke - my scales said I couldn't do beer, too.  So I stopped (not the beer, just stopped getting on the scales).

Toms - nice 4 miler.

Fatozzig - Yay, predawn run.  Yay, shorts.  Yay, rain!

Jay - have a good trip.  Thanks for the pics.  Amazing sand scuptures!

Tramps - nice 7 miles.

Dave59 - nice job getting the run in before an early meeting.

Mariposai - big thumbs up to David for the work he is doing!

5 easy miles this morning.  DW and I are headed to Nags Head, NC to visit friends for the weekend.

Happy running, everyone!

Fletch

Marathon Maniac #957

Mari, wow, your son is doing fabulous things.  And you certainly can see you in him, both in his face and in his work.  Thanks for sharing that, and it was cool to see it as it appeared in the local paper.  Please give him my best wishes for continued success.

+1

Jay - those sculptures are amazing!

No run for me today, core work instead.

Bought my car last night!  It's blue and has 4 doors and a nice stereo system.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Wonderful pics. reminds me of my time in Hawaii. Sure miss that place.

No run yet. Started the 30 day ab challenge. Yeah I'm either early or late but that how I roll. Run later assuming I haven't fainted from the soccer at lunch. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Amy - strides were explained to me as 100 yard type runs where you take the first 60 to get to full speed and then coast the last 40. Focuses on leg turnover. I think.

Congrats on the new car Holly.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Fletch

Amy - I think I was busy writing today's post when you posted your question.  Wasn't ignoring you, just missed your post.

I know many of you here are not fans of RW magazine, but this is a good article explaining striders:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-run-striders

Rained on your fun run   (I LOVE running in the rain!!)

Cheers!

King of PhotoShop

Sorry to hear about Tribee. Hope her recovery goes well.

Good news on your son Mariposai.

No Aamos, I could never leave you.  FB and the News yes, but you never.

I did some calculations and I think I'm not getting enough protein.  Will bump it up some.  I write stuff down to keep track.  Up to just 130 lbs. now.

3.5 easy miles with my wife this morning, now to watch soccer.  Spareribs

Henrun

Jay, those sand sculptures are fabulous. There were a bunch on the Cape but not as good.

((Tribee))- I can feel your pain- PT , swimming, elliptical helped me get back to running.

4.2 sweaty miles this morning- but faster than usual-getting back to racing helps. Marj cycled downtown to meet a friend for lunch.

Amazing sand sculptures!  Thanks for sharing, Jay.

Posie Lady - It's easy to see your sons take after you, not just looks-wise, but heart-wise, as well.

Tramps - Count me in those hoping your DW is able to find some non-surgical relief for her back.  Not fun stuff.

Ribs - Cripes, I weigh more than you!  (Please tell me you're not as tall as you look in your pictures. )

Amy - I'm starting to get a bit nervous about Mt. Hood, but excited, as well.  I think I'm totally trained up for it; it's just going to be a matter of keeping track of my nutrition and keeping my gut from going south (last time I threw up around the halfway point).  I've decided to dump the UCAN I've been training with and go back to using Hammer Sustained Energy in my water.  The UCAN tastes horrible and is a real PITA to use.  I had to smile at your "slow" pace. 

Holly - Congrats on the car.  Sounds like it has the necessary basics.  Doors are good!

1 hr of core/strength training for me today, with some good single leg work and balancing on the BOSU.

My dad left Monday to drive down to the other end of the state to spend time with his DS and BIL (15-hr drive).  He was suppose to call me when he got there, but so far no phone call.  I know he made it, or my aunt and uncle would've been calling me, but he's still on my list.  Between this, smashing up my car, and the last time he left town and didn't let me know he was even leaving - - he's got a lot of negative points racked up against him right now.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mayor Mari, President David, first triathlete head-of-state.
                              I’m lucky to be the beneficiary of both of your friendships with you both running my slow pace many times to prove it, david's internships, 100th mary party, Bloomsday, .Dr. Feman at the Orchards, . . . .    thanks.
                              Hey stumps/tramps, where can I get one of the gremlins with the ghost workouts? 
                              I kind of desperately need some more miles for this month.
                              Amy - no SF on my calendar since I missed it a couple of years ago. Maybe make a mistake and come north instead of back east on your return so we can hear about it first hand.  Otherwise, the Carkeek 12 hour on the last Saturday in October is one of my favorites around here, or maybe a reunion SM

Best call of the US/Germany soccer game: “with the money involved, they’d have to be in boats for FIFA to call the game because of rain.”  Fortunately, no boats necessary as rain doesn’t bother any of our marathons around here in the PNW.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, I am 6 feet even.  My normal weight is about 148 or so.  When I was younger and running the marathon seriously, I was just under 140.  I was hoping to put the weight back on gradually but it's 8 weeks since surgery and I've gone from 127 to 130.

Today I had a Jersey Mike's turkey sub sandwich for lunch.  Spareribs