Masters Running

RR - 26.2 w/Donna...Breast Cancer Marathon (Read 301 times)

munchkn883

This was without a doubt the most well organized event (at my speed I don't call them races!) I have participated in and would highly recommend it to everyone. Arrived in Jacksonville Beach about 9:30 Friday night and was finally able to get something for dinner. My friend from NC drove down on Thursday so she picked me up at the airport. We went back to the hotel after dinner and got an okay night of sleep. There was a soccer tournament also that weekend and I think all the kids were staying on our floor! Saturday morning we went to the expo which was also well organized. We bought a few things and then headed back to the hotel to pick up some more friends who had come in from other parts of Florida. Lunch and then back to the expo. Our packets contained a copy of the book Donna had written about her bouts with cancer. She is now on her third time also. We had been corresponding and I was able to finally meet her and get my book signed. Most wonderful women! Dinner at Carrabas and then back to get ready for Sunday's event. I got everything ready and tried to sleep....tried was about all I did! We got up at about 5:30 so one of the girls could put on her makeup...I couldn't believe she was putting on all that stuff to sweat in. Caught the 6:30 bus and we were off! We arrived at the event and I have never seen so many port-a-potties in my life! There were actually so many that waiting in line wasn't a big deal. Water and PowerAid stations about every mile and more port-a-potties at almost each stop. The course was full of spectators...some with water hoses...one group of guys had small cups of FREE BEER which I had to sample! About 1.5 miles of the race was on the beach which was beautiful. Finished in less than 4 hours which was fine with me (actually managed to run about the last 100 yds). Lots of ice in bags and water at the finish line for us. The Runners Village had lots of bagels, fruit and drinks. After leaving the village we found more beer!! WooHoo!! Oxycodone(sp?) was definitely in order that night. Today was the first day I could actually pick up my legs to get in the car or dressed! I also picked up race packets for Rick S. and his girlfriend...they were really nice young people (about my kids' ages)! I'm hoping to read their RRs soon. Dress Attire: Pink wicking shirt, black shorts, white socks and Brooks Addiction shoes. Oh, and black sun visor. Hope this is Boomer approved attire! Treatment went well this morning and I'm scheduled for another PET scan on 2/29.
      Congrats Munch! Enjoyed reading your report. Hope you're tests are pleasing this time.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Been waiting for this! I'm so happy you got there and thrilled to hear it was so much fun. I only wish I could have been there too. Any photos???? grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

Great job, Munchkn! Congratulations! Smile

Runners run

evanflein

Great job (you did the half... right?)... I loved hearing the run at the end! Gotta love a race with all that beer! Sorry about the soccer kids... sort of feel responsible for noisy rambunctious soccer players all across the nation sometimes! Hope you get some good results on the next scans...
            coastwalker

Hi Munch, Congratulations on a terrific "event" and also on a good treatment this morning. It sounds like you had a greta time in Jacksonville Beach (except for the lack of sleep), met some wonderful people, and had a fun race that even included beer sampling along the way (in addition to the post-race beer). How does it get any better than that? Best wishes for a successful scan on the 29th. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

btb1490

A weekend with friends, a run on the beach, meeting and getting an autograph from one of your mentors, and enough port-a-potties for everyone! Other than the soccer kids running amok in your hotel, you had a great weekend! I can't comment on the boomer approved attire, but this certainly was a boomer approved report! Well done munchkn! Best of luck for a good outcome on 2/29. Keep us posted.
                wildchild

Carolyn

Great job, munch! Glad you had fun, and nice that you got to meet Donna, too. Hope your next tests are good!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Munchkn What a wonderful RR and a joy to read. We can have challenges and still take some time for ourselves and experience joy. Sweet. You are in our continued prayers.

SteveP

seemomgo

Munch - I so wanted to come join you!! Sorry I wasn't able to make the trip after all. It sounds like a great event. I am happy that you did well, had a good time and aren't feeling too terrible now! Let's keep those prayers and good vibes going your direction!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Excellent Munch!! I thrilled you had such a great experience in Fla! Part of the course on the beach and good, free beer.. you so deserve this! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Sounds like a great time, Munch! Hope your scan goes well. Keep us posted.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whoopee, you did it. . . . and with another Donna, and at a steady pace I know so well from my own early-season running. In fact, I'll probably doing the same too when you're in Nashville at the end of next month.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Way to go Munch! Sounded like a fun time. Free Beer, beach, fantastic people. You didn't mention your back or hip hurting so I guess that was good. Hoping for the best on your next test.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

munchkn883

I'm thinking some Boomers might want to do this one next year! I didn't have any place to put my camera, but one of the other women took some pics and I'll post as soon as I get them. My back took a good punch and wasn't feeling real good after the race and is still bothering me some. I can't imagine what it would have felt like if I had tried to do the full. Tonight I'll take the Oxycodone again. Dr. gave me a new prescription b/c mine was about 2 years old and he said it probably wasn't doing what it should.