Masters Running

40s On the Run - Living Life to Its Fullest (Wk. of 05/04/08) (Read 387 times)

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life. (Greg Anderson) I have no idea who Greg Anderson is, but I like the quote. So how'd it go for you, Cindy and Joe? Race reports and fashion reports - waiting breathlessly for both! Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Still no reports Wink bummer I could tell ya about the teeny tiny Goodall Gallop 5 k but I want to hear about the haf mary's. Cool yup

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey Guys ~ was waiting for Cindy to post (ladies first ya know) but hopefully she got delayed by the arrival of her new Grandbaby (fingers are crossed) Nice opening Leslie. Thanks once again Smile My race went really well. The official times are not in yet but I believe that I met or exceeded my goal time of under 2hrs.Probably only by a matter of seconds,but I'm thrilled about it anyway. Have to work for now,will have more about it later. Cindy,how about you? And Farm too? He had a race yesterday,how about it? C ya's

Top 'O the World!

Okay! Okay! dern it guys! I'm still lookin' fer my legs!!! somebody stole my legs!! Shocked an left these thick noodly things instead!c Shocked ....new grandbaby labor keeps starting & stopping... Undecided....Doc's are gonna boost her tom. am (I believe) if she doesn't move fwd w/the program today.... I've only a few minutes right now, so will try to eloquently (as much as I'm capable!!) disclose day's features later....including time spent in porta-potty w/UK, Australian ladies....... Evil grin all in all, I'm pleased w/the outcome/experience....2:24:12/11:01 ave pc = just a little south of middle of the pack...not bad for 1st Half Mary!!! Big grin Big grin.....gotta dump the pics.... right now, gotta get GD to school, Mairead for a walk (more on that later too!) & "run to Boulder" to register DH for the Bolder Boulder...... Cindy
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Wooohhhoooo!!!! Way to go halfers Joe and Cindy! EXCELLENT results for both of you, and I didn't hear any say anything about injuries either. Remember what a small portion of the population even enters a 1/2, much less completes it. That makes you both "elite" in my book. What's with all this working stuff, you need to be basking in the glow of your accomplishment. Why don't employers and children understand that? Yep, we need more info to get the full flavor of your experiences. R2, we definitely need a race report. No race is too small or too short. They are all part of the journey and we need details! Thanks for starting us off Leslie Smile Busy week/weekend, so not much time to post lately. My parents were on vacation in DC and Maryland and my stepdad had to go to the hospital with heart issues. Fortunately turned out to be treatable, but he will require some maintenance meds and such. He's back home now, but not fun speding your VC in the hospital! DH and I are supposed to leave for vacation this Saturday, and trying to shake summer colds. Haven't run since Friday, so living vicariously through everyone elses running adventures at the moment Smile
            Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Congrats Joe and Cindy! Full reports coming soon, I hope, good to know for now that you finished well and didn't hurt anything. Don't forget the fashion report! Cindy - sending well-wishes for that new grandbaby... r2 - YES, we want to hear about your 5K! 5Ks are hard! Carol - sorry to hear about your stepdad, what a rotten way to spend vacation! Sad You rest up with that cold, nothing's less fun than running while you're hacking up a lung. Got my 40mi last week - didn't think it was going to happen this time since I needed 14 on Sunday. So I went out for my normal "10, but if I feel good, maybe 12"...but at around 10 I was feeling REALLY good, so I did 14. I felt a little low blood sugary the last 2 mi, or at least I think that's what that wooziness is, because it wasn't hot and I was keeping at it with the water. I guess this is the point for me where I need to plan on bringing along some calories. Arla

Ex runner

Farmer Jim - I echo the sentiments that we definitely want to hear about your teeny tiny Goodall Gallop 5k (are there any horses involved??). A race is a race - and we want a full report, including fashion, so set those fingers to typing, my friend. Joe - I am so happy your race went well. Two hours for a HM. Nice! Can't wait to hear more. Cindy - Sweet cheeks, I understand the "Where are my legs??" sentiment. You'd swear you were walking around on a coupla stumps. Keeping in the fingers crossed re the new baby. Of course, we will expect pics again. Carol - Sorry to hear about your stepdad. Hopefully, he'll listen to the doctors. Evil grin Hope you have a fun vacation planned. As hard as you've been working, sounds like you could definitely use one. Arla - Congrats on the 40 miles! The wooziness - if you were only taking in plain water, you were probably low on electrolytes. Time to start including a replacement, girlfriend. And don't forget to get some carbs and protein in you as soon as you can after those long runs. You'll feel so much better throughout the day. My coach gave me a nutrition plan (before,during, and after exercise) awhile back based on my age (42), weight (140), and height (5'8"). If you're interested in the info, I can email it to you. You can email me at fatozzig@yahoo.com. Did my PT yesterday afternoon, which ended up being a mistake for this morning after Saturday's 3 hours. My legs were PO'd! Very tired and heavy from the outset. Had to remember Long Run Nick's advice and not get ticked when I had to briefly walk a few times, which is why my time surprised the heck outta me. 5.03 miles in 53:11 (10:35 pace). And even though I didn't want to, did my 8 hill sprints at the end. Besides my Llama friend this a.m., I had a horse very interested in the goings-on, and he even came over to the fence and watched me awhile. Have a good week, everyone! Cool

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - yes, I wondered about the electrolyte issue. I didn't bring my gatorade, I assume it's an acceptable electrolyte supplement, but probably not the best. The BEST post-run carb & protein boost is Ovaltine in 1% milk! Yum! It's part of why I look forward to the weekly long run Big grin I'd like to see your coach's diet plan, I'm roughly the same age and size that you are. I'm usually pretty good at eating plenty of quality foods...but I'm interested in his opinion on timing. I'm at arla.hile@gmail.com Arla

Ex runner

Congrats Joe and Cindy! Can't wait to hear the L-O-N-G versions of your races. You both had excellent times! I haven't done much at all the past few days. I think we've hit summer here. High 80's early in the week to low 90's for the Friday, Saturday, Sunday forecast. I have no headlamp for running in the a.m. so....I either need to quit belly aching and go buy one OR don't run. Hmmmm....don't have much of a choice. Arla-Re: The humidity is tough. Combine that with very warm/hot temps and the window of opportunity to run in any given day can pass you by in a snap. Having said that...it can be done, it's just a matter of my commitment to it. Congrats on your 40 for the week! I've got to head out so.....I'll catch up later with everyone. Jewels
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Ok Folks- a little more time now .I don't know what is with these customers I have. Just because we bill them $150 per hour to work on their computers, they have some kind of problem when I want to post at RA?! Undecided Anyway, my report~ I'll get the fashion stuff right out of the way first.Blue poly shorts,poly skivvies Blush ,blue tech short,white long sleeve tech shirt underneath.I regretted the long sleeve after about 2 miles. The weather was pretty much perfect for the 7:30am start. A foggy,misty 50* with hardly any wind.Got to the race in Long Branch (about 45 mins north of me) at about 6. Had an excellent warmup of about 2 miles and felt very loose at the start. My plan was to try and keep with the 4 hr marathoners for the first 10 miles and have something left in the tank for the last 3. The course was very flat. It starts at the beach,goes through some very nice neighborhoods, then ends up by the beach again. Same start place and time for the half, full marathon and relay. It's a 13.1 mile course, so the full marathoners run the half course twice. 8500 runners at the start. It's Very well run and features "pacers" with little flags. My pacer was a 4hr marathoner which translates into each mile being 9:09 per .It makes it very easy to be able to keep pace by simply keeping with the pacer. I had little trouble staying on pace through the first 5m or so, so I started to move a little faster, keeping the pacer a little ways back. Felt really good through the middle, but started losing gas around mile 9. The rest of the race was really a big mental struggle not to give up. I kept telling myself that as long as the pacer guy doesn't pass me, I'm at my goal. I managed to do that and had a little kick on the last half mile but it was tough. I was thrilled to finish under my goal time and the fact that I did not walk at all. It was alot tougher than I thought it would be. Some other thoughts; my parts all held up well and I feel fine today.Yesterday I had the same affliction that Cindy has, rubber legs. DW was there to cheer me on and it really helped toward the end. She was by the beach part so I first passed her at mile 7.5.She then crossed the street and waited for me.When I passed her again it was about mile 11. On the first pass I was feeling good so my words were "love ya ".The second time I was sucking wind so it was "I'm really hurtin" Tongue My virtual and real worlds collided when I met the esteemed poster Mississippi from here at RA. I knew from her avatar and such that she would be there but with that many runners,what's the chances? Well around about mile 4 or so someone calls her name(Michelle).She just happened to be pretty much right next to me so I noticed her responding at the same time I saw the RA logo on the back of her shirt.She must have been a bit surprised when I was next to her and said " Mississippi?" She said yes," Hi, I'm NJ Joe.Good luck to ya" shook hands and we proceeded to run our races. She was going for the full .Looking forward to seeing how she did. Another thing I found out is that I'm very,very,very Happy that I did not try to do a full marathon! I was SO not ready for that.I have a whole new appreciation for the strength and the mental fortitude that's needed to go that distance in a race. Shocked I had a breakfast of scrambled eggs and oatmeal about 2.5 hrs before race time.I was sipping water the first 5 miles,had one gu, then more water up until about 10 miles when I switched to Gatorade.I felt fueled and was not dehydrated at the end. I want to THANK YOU guys very much for all the support and well wishes.This is Really the best way to have a running club and I was thinking about how to relay the experience to you. Smile Carol- Hope you and DHub are feeling better and especially your DStepDad.Geez, some vacation right? Arla-Great going on your mileage! I'm going to try and stay with you,or probably a little behind(35mpw) Leslie-are you sure you're not secrectly WonderWoman? You are doing alot! Jewels-Wow,that's hot.Afraid we're both going to have to get up early to run now.Buddy can't go in the heat. Cry We are sure living life to it's fullest.I don't know a busier,more vibrant group than this!! I've rambled enough.Now it's Cindy and Farm's turn. Joe

Great report, Joe! And kudos to DW for greeting you along the way. Re WonderWoman status, mmm, I think it was more StupidWoman status this time around. Wink My legs are still barking at me at 3:30 in the afternoon. Arla - I emailed you the nutrition info. It's coming from my address that starts with catlovers2 (go figure . . . Blush) I'm thinking my biggest obstacle to completing my 50k is going to be blisters. I developed a nice new one Saturday in only 3 hours. Will try yet another remedy this weekend, so we'll see!!!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Well folks, here goes.....I expect to be a bit "windy" so, grab a coffee & I hope to entertain ya'll jest a bit! Wink................I was still feeling a little apprehensive Sat am...should I really be 'resting' this much?...right medial quad still feeling a bit quirky & thinking in the back of my mind that Kristi should be kicking the labor into full gear about line up time "what am I thinking to do this now!?!?" ....my "karma" is gonna kick in any minute now.... I didn't get nearly the training that I'd wanted done, yada, yada, yada....still!! I went to work for 3 1/2 hrs, then drove up to Ft Collins & got my race packet ~ including getting my name changed from "Unknown, Unknown" (thank you Active!) to Cindy... poked around the itty bitty expo, bought a coupla things including a "13.1" sticker & a blue & white "Gas Cap" ~ tech hat (Brooks) that has little slots for GU packets along the rim..visualizing what it might look like "loaded!"....'course I wore it for the race! Big grin Checking into my room, I noticed all the hotels along the corridor had folks out jogging around them...Uh-oh.. this is like maybe gonna be a real race!..website advertises that 17% BQ!..I'm calculating that I'd be tickled pink to get around 2:30!.. Wink....popped on the TV to watch the ending of the Kentucky Derby Cry Angry (another discussion!!) grabbed my shoes & went out for a light shuffle...about 2 miles out, it finally let go a little bit. so, I did 4 reeeal easy miles & stretches..My mindset has now become, "just finish it - & have a good time....@ what ever pace works. even if you have to walk a bit (maybe alot)...just see it as a long 'group run"... back to the room wait for DH to arrive so we could go for dinner & turn in early....HM buses load @ 5:00 am- 5:45 am for a 7am start....Well, I guess the bed was too hard, room too stuffy...whatever, DH flopped about all night like a toad in a toddler's pocket! Tongue (I had a brief visualization of holding the pillow down.. Evil grin..)..IOW - at best, I got maybe a couple of hrs sleep before I gave up, got up, & started getting ready....ooohhh, this is gonna be good! Roll eyes breakfast: grazing slowly...coffee & Luna bar. pocketed an apple for the bus ride out...picked up a bagel chunk @ the bus (I've got two hrs, right!) It's appoximately 32* F/12% H slightly breezy & semi dark in the canyon - forecast is for a perfect Colorado day! But right now, it's kinda cold!!! No shelters set up & the buses went back for the next group! People started huddling together - tightly!! Some were even hiding out inside the porta potties!! I was invited to join just such a group of ladies in that locale, & even took pics for them to share w/their friends back home! I didn't bother warming up (other than in the porta potty!), figured I'd use the first coupla miles for that.....right leg still a little tight Undecided....so, I spent the wait time visiting w/various people...participating in the "Popsicle Huddle" & watching the sun creep down the canyon wall....a hawk & couple of ravens floating in the dawn air....It is sooo beautiful up here!! Smile thinking that I'd love to run the whole thing sometime ....we didn't even get to the most scenic part of that particular canyon w/only doing the half.....6:55: "lined up" almost completely to the back of a pack of about 1100..ipod on low - just "background music".....first 4 miles, easy easy...slight downhill, canyon winding into the sunrise, watching the layers come off ~ the pants are the most entertaining!! thinking, "I should have a backpack to pick up some of this stuff! some of these folks' throw-aways are much nicer stuff than MY training gear!!" Shocked ... Taking pictures, not paying attention to my watch....just being...breathing...listening...relaxing...aaahhh....right leg? all happy & loose now! Smile chatting, heckling road workers bearing "slow" signs! mile 5: feeling freaking awesome! picked up the pace a little bit...passing a few people (not counting out loud....) mile 6: Bagel Hill? (our only hill) now I looked! 10:49 pc ! I'm nearly giddy! Somebody told me earlier that it was "quite a hill!" ~ NOT!... crest of the hill, I was passed "handily" by a youngun in a pink/whi striped singlet....flat cruizin'!! & making it look easy! to run 26.2! Smile DH later confirmed he was indead the leader @ 2:30Tight lippedx It felt like a full 5 mins before the next group came by...some of those didn't look quite as effortless...more pictures, more people passed....mile 9: looks like I've caught up to the back of the lead pack (not really - it's just a bigger group that used ta be waaaay ahead of me! the leaders are already finished!) mile 10: I think I'm slowing down a little...not quite as easy....mile 11: starting to be work...not passing anyone anymore...just holding my place in "line"....funny funny signs all along the course! "May the 4th be with you" "There is no Tri, Do or Do Not!"..... & then Princess Leia handing out water @ the next aid station! Big grin...Mile 12: hearing Jim, "the Hay's in the barn..."... brief walk break...song on the ipod "...just breathe....it won't be long now... breathe..." mile 13....couple more really brief walk breaks...feels alot slower now....I KNOW I'm not ready for 26 yet!! more people along the route cheering/clapping....last corner...dammit! CANNOT WALK ACROSS THE FINISH LINE!! so, I didn't...surprisingly, even though it didn't feel easy or light, I felt 'fast(ish) that last quarter mile... (okay, BLOCK!) & as I vaulted across the mat, I had this incredible feeling of....."Somebody catch me!!!!!" I think that's when I first noticed that my legs had gone missing ! Tongue Amazingly, I didn't fall over! but it took a bit of concentration to get to the folks handing out water bottles, & food(eeww!) I took it, but it didn't look the least bit interesting! should I sit down or should I walk?! Beer tent! Kewl! & alternating sitting & walking! Great idea! More chatting w/finishers...several BQ's happened Sunday! Lotsa kewl folks from all over....even ran into one of my Thurs Snug Runners people..he was only 10 mins ahead of me! Shocked ..says he won't ever do a full 'cause he's heard of guys having inopportune bowel movements during races....!? You're Kidding!!?? I did my best to look shocked over that statement! Big grin The Houston ladies were NOT having a great time! The elevation was kicking their butts pretty seriously! I believe that area is around 5400' .....other than that, I'm thinking this one could be a really cool one to consider for a "gathering" as well ~ other than amenities were mostly "on your own" ....however, being in "Olde Town Ft Collins" made up for that......All in all, I'm VERY PLEASED w/my day!! And of course, DH is starting to think all of this is a good idea....so now we're both signed up for the Bolder Boulder in 3 weeks! Big grin.......NEXT!! link to (I hope) my photobucket album: http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Holy Cow Cindy - that's awesome! My report is a big snorfest after yours!! Big grin If you decide on a new vocation, how about writing ?! Hilarious! MTA- Great pics too !!! Oh yea, official time for me- 1:58:32!! Yahooo! Cough up the report now , Farm ?!

Top 'O the World!

Thank ya kindly Joe! Big grin Jiiiimmm.....Ooooh Jiiiim...? come out come out where-ever you are! ya can't hide, we know whereabouts you live! Evil grin

flatland mountaineer

We just got in the house, but will get to it, I promise. Really great reports, was like a kid waiting for Christmas waiting for you all's and was not disappointed. more later

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III