Masters Running

LSD (Read 465 times)

So here's my question on long slow...or steady....distance. I recently did some research on Lydiard's techniques. I found that he's hopelessly over simplified as being the "father" of LSD, implying that's all he's about. OK, so I now know that's not even true, as he was a proponant of long steady runs, below race pace but at good aerobic effort. (ANd his plans have lots of speed work included--it's just that he focuses on base building more than most, or at least, that's the conclusion I came to.) So, here are my questions: 1) Many marathon schedules have you run a long run 2 weeks in a row, then go a bit shorter the 3rd week, maybe do some more intense speed work that week. ......Do you run both those at the same LSD? Do you stick some fast miles in each, but still overall keep them at a similar overall pace? 1A) Any reason not to pull back that 3rd week? 2) Ribs said he does long runs slow, as there's plenty of opportunity to run fast on other days. 3) Bob thoughtfully explained:
    Here's my take on long runs for marathon training, for what it's worth. As with any workout (tempo runs, recovery runs, VO2max runs, etc) there is a correct pace to get the desired benefits from it. With long runs for marathon training, if you go too slowly, you won't be giving your body the stimulus it needs to perform adequately on race day. Your posture will be different, your stride will be different, the muscles you use will be different, you won't be taxing your heartrate or breathing enough. So yes, there is a point where the "S" in LSD is too slow. Conversely, if you do your long runs too fast, your risk of injury goes up. You also need extra recovery time by running your long runs too quickly, thus detracting from your future workouts. The success of your training depends on being able to stress and recover your body repeatedly over many weeks, and is the cumulation of many workouts. Putting all your eggs into a single long run, then having to spend the rest of the week recovering from it, is not the most efficient method of improvement. An ideal marathon training program will contain a variety of long run types. Steady state runs where you maintain the same pace the entire time. These are usually done at the "higher" end of the long run pace spectrum. Then there are progressive paced long runs, where the bulk of the run is done at the lower end of the pace spectrum, but increases gradually to marathon pace as the run progresses. As a reminder, the long run provides the following benefits that are essential to success in the marathon. o - they increase the amount of capillaries in your muscles, thus allowing more blow flow, thus allowing better transport of energy and removal of waste to your muscles. o - they teach your body to store more glycogen. More glycogen means more energy available for you. o - they teach your body to utilize and burn fat more efficiently, thus conserving glycogen. This pushes off "the wall" in the marathon. o - they increase the size and number of the mitochondria in your cells. The mitochondria are what takes the glycogen and converts it into energy that your muscles can use.
    So who does steady state runs and who tries to do progressive ones? (And what about those of us who go out and slow down at the end Undecided Confused Pfitz seems to suggest running long runs faster than do most other coaches, and I know a number of folks here us his book/schedules. Do you run your long runs as fast as he wants you to? I'm really interested as I'm trying to put together a training schedule--because I do a lot of marathons, I don't really follow a schedule and I'm really curious what you all do. I'm thinking maybe I should run some marathons slower and see what happens. IF so, would it be better to try for steady through it? Thanks--don't feel obliged anyone, this is just meant for anyone who has some opinions or experiences they want to contribute.
    Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Keep in mind that I am assuming you mean marathon training only: First, what you say about Lydiard is correct. He was often accused falsely of being in favor of tons of "aerobic" miles, but what he meant, and what you clarified, is that when he said "aerobic" he meant a good steady pace with some energy in it. I can dig up some of his quotes on this subject if you like. Let me also add that someone in recovery (like me), or building mileage for an initial base, like a first time marathoner, should use good judgment in this regard. Sometimes it's hard to do a long run at what Pfitzinger and calls "general aerobic" and Daniels calls "easy." If I were going to do a marathon, and I will have to do one at the end of this year to go to Boston next year, I will grow my long run as slowly as I like, for these three reasons: 1) I will do a mess of long runs, not just 3, 2) I will intersperse my long runs with medium long runs of 14 miles or so that include a lot of "wave" work, progression or tempo miles. My 20 miler is usually around 3 hours anyway, so I don't agonize about the pace too much, and 3) I am a masters runner, a really OLD masters runner. The theories about running your long run at a good pace may be okay for people in their 30's, but after 40 people need to use a bit more caution in running for 3 hours. You must acknowledge too Amy, that a plan you adopt will naturally be different for a first-time marathoner. Likewise, evanflein, CNYrunner and the like are also strong marathoners and would have a plan different from slower runners with less experience. No one plan here will work for everyone. You have incredible endurance and strength right now. I think Bob is right that for runners like you the long run should be at a good pace, maybe no slower than a minute per mile off your marathon pace, perhaps 9 minutes per mile, which would give you a nice 20-miler in three hours also, although you are faster than I am, of course. I don't like any of the 16-18 week plans, no matter who writes them, for the average marathoner because 1) they aren't long enough, 2) they try to do too many things at once, growing mileage and incorporating too much speedwork and 3) they presume that one plan will work well for everyone who reads the book. (Note that the exceptions to this point are the people who have been through the Higdon or Pfitz cycle two or more times. It is different for them. Breger, Perch and the Beers come to mind.) If I took over someone's coaching I would have them do nothing but build mileage safely as they could for as long as they could (NO speed!), and I would like to see them get up to 60 mpw and hold it there awhile until I knew they were okay there. Then, like Lydiard, I would add hills (4 weeks), and finally in the final 4-6 weeks, add speed, including 3 races. I don't like those VO2 max workouts in today's plans. I would throw them out and instead encourage the runner to race a bit more often at short distances. Nothing forges steel like racing. Now as to that 60 miles per week. Not everyone can handle 60- mpw physically. Not everyone has the time for it. Not everyone wants to run that much. That doesn't mean they can't run the marathon if they do less. Many of them do far less and run pretty good marathons. But I don't think they run the BEST marathon they CAN on less. In other words, someone who trains at 45-50 miles a week and runs a nice 3:40 marathon and is very happy with it is certainly a fine runner in my book. What I am saying is that that same runner has the potential to run a much faster marathon on more mileage. It is the single biggest and most consistent indicator of marathon success. I also have opinions about the Maniacs. I admire them greatly, you, JJJ, Evanflein and others. You do stuff I could never do. But one thing you all do is forego speed for the opportunity to run many races. So the final thing I will add here is objectives: what is it you want to achieve in your training plan? Do you want to rebuild a base and see how fast you can run one? That is an important call. Of course I am offering my opinions here on the approach Lydiard took vis a vis the new "scientists", and my own personal biases based on my own experience and observation of many runners over many years. Runners are getting slower, not faster. Shoes and poor training approaches are causing injuries. I like to post my position on these matters because they encourage discussion and debate, so thanks for this. Spareribs
        I'm with Ribs on this... http://lydiardfoundation.org/ I like training programs that build mileage first-over months (if not years)- then intensity in the form of hills and tempo all the while continuing medLR's, occ LR's and a few strides then event specific training (ie marathon training) which for me means long tempos of various sorts/goalMP runs and shorter, quicker fartlek runs and of course building the LR in terms of distance first than add some pace-fast finish/tempo or progression followed by taper and then the race -------------------------------------------------- you can take shortcuts and avoid mileage with appropriate cross training, but it takes intensity to improve and you can't improve the most until you've 'maxed' your mileage

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great topic Aamos. For Long runs, I'm of the opinion that you run them long enough to give a good stimulus (17-23 miles) and fast enough so that it is within 10-20% of MP and yet recovery is short. Short recovery means you are good enough for hard work Tuesday or Wednesday. If an LT run Tuesday and a medium long run Wednesday (10-13 miles), for example, feel good then you have not run the long run too hard. When you do multiple marathons how does that work? Base building after you already have a great base is confusing to me. Shouldn't you just keep a nice mileage, say 50's and mix a bit of LT and VO2max with GA(or MP) and recovery runs? Then close to the next race start to work harder workouts (faster tempo or repeats)? Or After a marathon maybe you should recover and then do short distance specific training to nail a 1/2 marathon or 10K to get a new VO2max PR and then build the marathon training based on the new VO2max? I'm also wondering what to do next (but I haven't signed up for the Grandfather Mountain Marathon either Big grin) Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

The question is, "when you do multiple marathons..." and I have little experience with this, except for when I was younger and would sometimes do 3 in a year, which is not even close to what the MM's do. I do know that you can hold peak condition for quite some time if you are careful not to do too much anaerobic work while you are racing. Here is what Lydiard said in Japan on this topic: "You can’t train hard and race well at the same time. If you want to keep the athletes, remember two words; you’ve got to keep them fresh and sharp. If you do it in aerobic nature, it’s not too long; and if you do anaerobic training, it shouldn’t be too long a duration, shouldn’t be too demanding; it has to be short and sharp. I think, by doing this, when I had Snell in Tokyo in 1964, we jogged an hour in the morning very easily. He raced 6 races in 7 days. He won two gold medals, and the last day when he won the 1,500 meters, it was very easy for him, it was like a training run, he won by 40 meters. He said afterwards he didn’t have to run hard. When we used to go to the track during the day time and see the athletes he’d run against still training hard. You can hold your form once you are fit. You can hold your top form for a long time, providing you make sure that you allow the recovery from very hard races. This is also in relation to your conditioning base." Note this last sentence Perch, "in relation to your conditioning base" as that will have been fixed from your initial training when you are at your peak. Spareribs
              Thanks for taking the time to write on this topic. I had a few reasons for asking: 1) As I mentioned, I recently read some Lydiard (in the course of preparing one of my running columns on long distance running)--I started wondering, are there some questions you could develop that would help you figure out whether you, an individual runner, needs to do more speed work, or needs more mileage, or needs strength and hill work, or needs to run the long runs faster. 2) long runs seem to mean different things to people. Even here--Steve and Bob seem to put more emphasis on running the Long Run at a pace just reduced from marathon pace, while Ribs and Dale are less concerned about the pace, or so I interpret them (and Dale does say add some pace into the LR toward the end of training, in the last 2 lines of his post.) And Pfitz says 10-20% slower--well, for a 3:30 marathoner, that's a wide range, no? Help me with the math, but wouldn't that be running at 8:50 to 9:40 pace for long runs? 3) I agree that you need to put in mileage. Some coaches call for you to run more than 26 miles in your long run (Galloway, for one). So, if you run a marathon a couple of times a month and call it your long run, why does that mean you sacrifice speed? If anything, running a marathon makes it easier to achieve 60 miles a week! This assumes you don't run each marathon full-tilt. 4) I'm leery of schedules as the one time I got seriously hurt was when I was following a training schedule, training for a specific marathon, and doing regular speed work sessions. It seems that when you train to run your fastest, you are flirting with injury, whereas dialing back the speed a little bit allows you to run healthy. (Please feel free to debunk this thought.) 5) I'm taking suggestions. I should finish up the states soon, by the end of this year or early next, and no way and I doing that again! So, since I'll be in a new age group come spring of 09, I wonder if I want to consider focusing on a particular marathon and see what would happen if I trained more traditionally for it. It could be fun, or I could crack up Confused Geez, we need a nice bottle of wine so we can sit around and really discuss this! grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles

Top 'O the World!

** passing the wine*** waiting for more reading material......
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Hey Amy - good question and good comments so far. I only have a second, but just wanted to mention the McMillan website. He has nice article on his philosophy about alternating slow steady state LSD's with long runs in which you run the first half to three quarters at steady state and then run the rest at race pace.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

King of PhotoShop

I have no idea what a slow steady state LSD run is. To me "steady state" means something completely different. Aamos, you said "So, if you run a marathon a couple of times a month and call it your long run, why does that mean you sacrifice speed? If anything, running a marathon makes it easier to achieve 60 miles a week! This assumes you don't run each marathon full-tilt." My answer is that I don't know why chronic marathoners lose speed, but I observe that they do in most cases. I imagine it's just one of those things that "everyone knows" but I confess I don't know the science of it. Maybe it is because as you say, they don't run them all at full tilt. I will use TomD as an example, because I don't think he would mind and he is a good guy who we all know. He runs a ton of marathons. He generally will start them all at about 8 minute pace, then slow down and finish around 4 hours. My guess is if he rested a bit and prepared thoroughly for a couple of marathons a year, he would be under 3:30. Aamos, your times are outstanding for a woman of your age. I have often wondered what your "full tilt" totally rested marathon time would be. I am sure it will be faster than even some of the amazing times you are posting now. Will someone else weigh in on this hypothesis? Do the MM's who run loads of marathons sacrifice speed? Could they run a couple of marathons each year considerably faster with a system of periodic training buildup? Someone else comment here please. Spareribs
                      On the other hand, Dane Rauschenberg ran a marathon a week in 06 and I believe his times got steadily better. Let's see if I can get him to chime in here.
                      Masters 2000 miles
                      evanflein

Will someone else weigh in on this hypothesis? Do the MM's who run loads of marathons sacrifice speed? Could they run a couple of marathons each year considerably faster with a system of periodic training buildup? Someone else comment here please. Spareribs
                        Ok, I'll bite. I love doing marathons, as much for the social aspect as the run itself. But I don't do anywhere near what TomD and Aamos do... What limits me? Well, money primarily. Living where I do, it's very expensive and time intensive to travel and there aren't too many year 'round options close to home. BUT, I also figured I could do one a month and by using some as long training runs and watching recovery carefully, I could maintain that as long as the travel funds held up. Primary goal at beginning of the year was to BQ, so I trained for the August marathon and achieved that goal with a 3:53, hoping for 3:45... Next up was the Equinox 4 weeks later, no time goal just finish the thing. I did run 18 miles halfway between the two, but not fast cuz my focus was hills (given next race profile). Three weeks later I did Bellingham, no time goal but ran in stiff wind to a 4:00:09 finish (barely a BQ). My legs definitely were not 100% recovered from Equinox. I had 7 weeks to prepare for the next one, Seattle, and I took my time with recovery and got in two long runs (19 and 20) before a 2 week taper. The long runs were done 3:1 style, with the last 5 miles done just faster than goal pace. I PR'd at Seattle with 3:49... Next up was the Christmas marathon in Olympia. I didn't care about this race, treated it as a training run (just needed a December marathon). Had fun and ran part way with Divechief (his last marathon in quite awhile), saw Soundrunner (she did the half). My goal on this was to hit 20 miles before 3 hours, and I think I got there at 2:52 so that was good. Took it easy the last 10k for a 3:53 finish. Carlsbad was next and I had one 19 mile long run 2 weeks before that, pace was slow but that was due to the conditions as much as anything (hey, it was January 6 in Fairbanks!!). Carlsbad was hillier than I was expecting (not sure why, I had an elevation chart), and I finished in 3:51. It was my 5th BQ time in six months, but I always wondered what I could do if I trained for a goal race. So I did... For Boston... I followed the training schedule I've used for many races, with lots of tweaks and modifications, and increased my long runs almost by the book. Pace was almost always too fast, but I did try to keep a 3:1 plan. I did some short race specific training in late January/February to prepare for the Ragnar relay in AZ... mile repeats at 10k pace on the treadmill were my favorite, trying to string some together if possible (got up to 3 at a time). Kept up my long runs with the 3:1 plan, but had to move my first 20 miler up to account for Ragnar. The last month before taper (March) I decided to increase my goal MP to 8:20, primarily because I'd been doing my long runs so easily and faster than the old 8:35 pace would dictate. Seemed to work, I PR'd at Boston by 11 minutes (3:38:48). Not sure if this answered any questions, sounds like a rambling serial race report. Basically, I tweak my long runs depending on my next marathon. If it's a hilly course (Equinox), I'll incorporate hills into my long and ML runs. Especially towards the end of the run (for Boston). If the marathon is not a goal race, I'll treat it as a training run. Do multiple marathons decrease your pace? I think so... When I took a break between Carlsbad and Boston, I know I got faster. Will I change what I do? Well, I've had to for other reasons. But I'll be doing a couple of back-to-back marathons this fall and will always look for the opportunity to do others. As for long runs, I saw the biggest improvement when I started doing the faster finish long run (the 3:1 plan).

King of PhotoShop

That makes perfect sense, and as Erika suggests, it is the decision of the runner in what they choose to do, rather than some impediment to speed. As I view it, the MM's simply love the idea of travel, meeting old and new friends and the fun and adventure of it. Aamos for example is doing the 50-state thing. Those people aren't looking at PR's as their objective is different. What a great year you had Erika. Spareribs
                          mustang sally

Bad faerie

I can't hold a candle to the experience accumulated above me, but that's never stopped me from shooting my mouth off anyway. I just ran my first marathon (3:45) after three training cycles, two aborted in injury. I left everything I had on the course. 10 days later, I have no interest whatsoever in doing any heavy running, so I simply can't imagine the Maniac lifestyle. My gut sense is that it will be a month before I'm champing at the bit again. So to speak. I need a two weeks on, one-off cycle, or I start getting seriously run down. Until the runs hit about 17 miles, they'd be run with sections (about 20-30 minutes) at MP, five minutes easy, then lather/rinse/repeat as necessary. Later in the cycle, the 17+ runs were run progressive style, generally MP + :30, MP + :15, MP, MP - :15. (That last bit was no fun, and I walked about a mile after most of these runs until I got my bearings back). So, there was a fair bit of quality built into those LRs. I was a little light on distance - only three 21+ over the cycle, but there were three quality workouts per week (one hills or tempo, one track session, and the LR). Next time (and I don't plan another until April 09), I intend to lay a bigger easy base, hitting 60 MPW sooner, and holding for a while with minimal quality until later in the cycle. I think the progression runs set me up to manage pace at Eugene very well, but they knocked the stuffing out of me for days afterward. It's such a delicate balance. (sits back and waits for more people who actually know what they're talking about to contribute)
                              Hmmm...all these responses are great and thoughtful. Mustang Sally---you do too know what you are talking about and just experienced it in Eugene---I am glad you chimed in! Aamos, thanks for the question in the first place. I have only my own experiences and trial and error to serve me. Boston 2008 was my 29th marathon since 1987, but I have never run more than three in one year, so I may not be the best to throw in two cents. I do know that I used to run my LSD runs too fast and as a result didn't recover as well and had more injuries. That was when I was in my early thirties and didn't want to acknowledge a loss of elasticity, speed or anything that comes with getting older. I had major surgery in my middle-late 30s and had to take six months off completely. Maybe it was the combination of forced time off and finally getting a wee bit smarter about this that changed the mix. I now run my long runs at a much slower pace in the first weeks of a marathon training cycle and don't include tempo paces or fast finishes until the middle to end of the training cycle (20 weeks usually). I should say up front that goals are a big driver and while I don't have the time or the body to get back down to my fastest times, I do want to drive down my masters times. I have often wondered where the red line is for me at this stage. I am not a marathon maniac and money and time would prevent that anyway. I do run 20 plus milers (up to 24 miles) on consecutive weekends and also run midweek long runs of up to 16 miles with embedded tempo miles in consecutive weeks. Perhaps the difference is that I am not racing a marathon when I am training each week, but seem to have the capacity to add more miles without crumbling. For the last four years I have tried to hit high 60 and 70 mile weeks and will try hitting at least three weeks of 80-plus miles if my body can stand it for a fall '08 marathon. I know that after years of building a base, running unstructured LSDs and scaling back between marathons, I can now handle structured LSDs and quality work outs during the week as long as my non-workout runs are relaxed and by feel. I think I am way off the trolley as far as the original question. Aamos, it seems to me that your almost consecutive weekend marathons don't slow you down and yet is there a 3:15 in there if you focused on just one marathon and trained exclusively for that?----using a combination of long SLOW distance runs and structured LSDs. Karin
                                I don't know nothing about birthing no babies, but I wanted to hang out with the serious runners, hence the post. For my last training cycle, I did a progression run every weekend long run. I have no idea whether it helped or hurt me in the end -- too many variables and too few samples to determine.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com