Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 4.18.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I made some progress at the historical society yesterday, tracking (with a lot of help) the ownership of the pond back to 1867. However, there is no reference to the dam in any of the deeds. The art show/fundraiser went great last night: lots of people, lots of buzz, lots of activity. I bought a gorgeous photo of a red-belllied woodpecker against a dark background. The sharpness and the richness of it are amazing.

2.5 easy RW miles this morning, just to stay loose for the 5K with my RA friends in Somerville tomorrow. But first, DW and I are going to our favorite dive for breakfast, and then I'll spend a chunk of today getting dirty in the yard. Dinner at a neighbor's home tonight should be fun, and a great way top off the day.

Gotta go - Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

My two days back from vacation have been filled with trying to catch up from being gone for a few days,  Its a good thing I'm taking a few days off from running.

It's a church clean up day so, I really should get going, but I just wanted to wish everybody racing today good luck.  And  safe travels for those heading to Boston!

Okay--that's it--gotta go--see ya!

King of PhotoShop

The Saint and I got 4 in this morning at the Park, giving me 35 for the week and 32 for her.  Beautiful bright sunny day after all that weird weather yesterday with more coming tonight.

So Deez doesn't like sitting through 2 training sessions eh?  Try 5 days a week of them as the trainer and on your feet the whole time.

So they tested my blood for the possibility of low testosterone as the solution for the fatigue and it tested on the high side.  The dr. told me if I took a testosterone additive I'd get accused of doping, so that idea is out. But what I did learn is that my protein intake is way lower than it ought to be so I'm adjusting my diet accordingly.  Out is the steel cut oatmeal (7 grams) for breakfast and in is Special K Protein with skim milk (23 grams), plus some other modifications.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So they tested my blood for the possibility of low testosterone as the solution for the fatigue and it tested on the high side.  The dr. told me if I took a testosterone additive I'd get accused of doping, so that idea is out.

Braggart

I'm resting up even more than Jay today.  Although there appears to be some yard work in my future, too.  It's been quite a while since I ran a 5K race.  I remember them as very painful.  But the company will make up for it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...actually ribs///..........most of our customers don't have ''Low-T''....they just want ''Some Mo'-T''

.........which shuts off whats making the ''T'' in the first place,

I just LOVE TV commercials.

================

...but I digress.......

......38-min poolrun, no belt, closed fists....

my Old Running Buddy wants me to show him How to Do This,

so

I may get another work-out

OR

have to explain to his wife Why he Drowned.

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Careful there, tomwhite, don't want to have to explain a drowning! I don't know how you do that with nbcf though. Tough.

And yes, those "Low T" commercials drive me nuts. While it can be a legitimate problem for some, for most it's a "want" not a "need." My dad had extremely low testosterone, found after months of continuing fatigue and weakness, and falls. Got him on therapy and what an amazing recovery. Now he's doing great and will soon be 88 (in June this year).

Ribs, I bet it is low protein. While most people get more than enough, with your VB6 diet it might be a struggle. Remember that combining foods helps make complete protein, like having beans with rice, etc. My mom was big on "eating lower on the food chain" and one of her favorite books was "Diet for a Small Planet." Not sure if it's still in print or not, but lots of the recipes featured combinations designed to provide complete proteins from non-animal sources. I should dig that book out, I'm sure I have it here somewhere....

I think Perchcreek is running that Martian Marathon somewhere in MI today. Go Perch!

Go David! Love to see how he is progressing and that he's not intimidated to go up against seniors! Woot!

Will be looking forward to all the Boston excitement this weekend! Twocat, I hope you had better luck clearing your calendar than I did with mine.

Today is gorgeous, but we've got a big chinook coming in this weekend so we'll have warm dry windy conditions. With the low snowcover we had to start with, and lots of dry grass exposed now, we could see some wildfires sparking up around here. I hope not! April is way too soon for fire season! My windchimes are singing away out there.... The bike path here is in good shape so I'll run from home later, and have lots of yard work (and vole damage repair) to do this weekend.

Dave59

I finished my best and last spring yard cleanup. Did a little bit here and there over the past fees days and then got an early start today and got it all done. 21 bags of yard debris to take out to the road on Wednesday.

Cindy had a girl (young woman) from church who is doing odd jobs come over and help clean around the house. All the places you don't normally clean.

My feet and back are a little sore now but I think I'll survive.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you TW and EK.  Those ads drive me nuts.  I wouldn't have considered testosterone at all, but my urologist was the one who suggested that might be the issue. Then after the test he discounted it.  He is the Dept. Head at UT Southwestern, one of the top hospitals and medical schools in the country.

And EK makes a good point. I was reveling in this VB6 diet with my low LDL, but wasn't paying attention to the protein side.  I keep learning.

This morning I started a huge batch of chili.  We'll have that tonight with rice and a salad.  Spareribs

henrun in NY and CT you can give out free samples, but you cannot sell any unless you are a licensed liquor store.  Even if the event is a wine, beer or whatever show.  I wonder if MA is the same?

deez4boyz 2 training sessions of 8 hours each!  I would kill myself.  All I want is a manual.  Then give me a test on using whatever it is.  Skip the long yak sessions.  With apologies to Spareribs.  I know, I know, most people would not read the manual.  Fail the test.  Not know how to use the system.  Then complain if their pay or whatever was docked as a result.  I guess it is why people show up to my classes as well.  Something like a 2 year training session.

TammyinGP the nice thing about David's age is he will get faster as the years roll by!

tetsujin209 regarding most of that menu -- ooow, yuck!  

coastwalker sounds like a full day.  I hope your neighbor is a good cook!  Are you race walking the 5k tomorrow?  You should carry a microphone to record all the comments as you pass the runners!  During last year's relay it sure was entertaining to hear them!

Mike E you are taking a few days off from running?  I am thumbing an ancient scroll this second to see if that is some sort of omen.  Man, omens can be really good or bad.  [Sound of thumbing pages quickly.]  

stumpy77 what you said about the results from Spareribs' blood test.

tomwhite hmm, Mo' -T, there is an idea . . .

evanflein no dice on the calendar.  I tried to explain to the dean that Monday is the Boston marathon and I could not possibly be expected to meet my classes since I HAD to watch the race.  Odd, but he said no before throwing me out.  I hope you get a bit lucky and the wild fires do not become a problem.

Dave59 as long as you do not have to join the cleaning party I think you should be okay.  Feign a heart attack if asked to help.  It generally gets guys out of most household chores.  

Today it was out for 20 miles with 9 at MP.  I tell you keeping myself fooled is not easy!  First it was, just make it to mile 5 and you can stop this MP stuff.  Then it was make it to 7.  After all I did 7 last week.  Upon reaching 7 it was look I can do just 2 miles of this.  Really, I can and it is downhill too.  All I can say is I am so stupid this works!  Once home I was abandoned by my DW.  She left for a haircut and a massage.  She is running the More Half Marathon tomorrow in Central Park along with two of her friends.  The race is basically two laps around.  I am running race support, which really means driving everyone in to NY then home and taking pictures during the race.

After today's run I think I am going to sign up for the June 6 Sunburst marathon in South Bend Indiana.  Anyone here know anything about it?  I am a bit hesitant to sign up since it normally finishes in the Notre Dame stadium.  But this year construction will prevent that.  A stadium finish line is very cool and it would be nice to do this race when that was possible.  On the other hand, I ended up with this race since it met a bunch of other constraints, which means I am more or less likely to sign up absent some other information.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Yum!  Just finished carbo loading for tomorrow......at a neighborhood Italian place in Coolidge Corner.   Watched the invitational mile this am on the end of the Marathon course.  High school boys......winner in with a 4-something, Irish lad from Framingham, looking like a throwback from the 50s.  So exciting!

marj, the hotel is on Longwood between Binney and Brookline so just tell me which corner.

wow, really here......really sleepy!  Couldn't bail on the game last night!

no running for taper girl here.    Totally crazy nutty here.....runners are antsy.  Brookline is a good bit saner, phew.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Aamos - messaged you instructions

did a walking Criime & Punishment in the 1600's Boston tour this morning.  Some interesting facts. lots of crimes were of a sexual nature and they used public shaming as punishments (this was before social media, i think).  capital punishment was primarily by public hanging

and on a more cheerful note..enjoy carbo loading - specially those providing support in the next couple of days!

marj

C-R

Finally made it to Boston. Several plane issues in Baltimore. Expo was crowwwdedd.

Anyone hear how Holly made out in Carmel? It was a wonderful day there today.

TW - I've run Sunburst several times and it is a great little race. The course is nice through tree lined neighborhoods and along river paths and a couple of miles that are forgettable. Only one "hill" at mile 23. Well supported but thin on crowds until you get to the end. In past years they staggered the race starts with full going at 6am, half at 7 and so on. It made for a crowded finish and I expect it was to minimize the overall time for crowds in the stadium. Running through the tunnel to the field is pretty neat. The only iffy part is the temp. That's why the early start. I ran one year and it was close to 80 and another it was 65. I would recommend it.

Well off to get something to eat.

Good running everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 regarding most of that menu -- ooow, yuck!  

Huh, that was the hotel's "western" menu.

It took more wherewithall than going out for a run in the midst of a busy weekend preparing for next week's meetings but with the hotel's all-you-can-eat western and Japanese menu breakfast smorgasbord starting at 6:30 a.m., I  arranged  for the early morning hotel shuttle bus at 6:30 a.m. to the local train station to get to the five hour Shinkansen bullet train to the big city for tomorrow. My stomach is not happy, saying I can start running and eating less when I get back next week.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Amy - I wish I knew you were in the expo area this morning!!  we ran the BAA 5k, went to the Pour House for breakfast and then to the expo -- would have loved to see you this morning!!  It was crazy in Boston this morning but so much fun!!

I just don't like sitting that long for anything, but have to admit the training session yesterday was really helpful.  The instructor was one of our unit coordinators (secretary) so she really understands the flow of our unit and helped us navigate the site.  Plus we each had our own computer so we were practicing each section after she demonstrated.

The walking yesterday, run today, and more walking has left my heel very cranky   - so not fun!!

Wish I was joining the Somerville crowd tomorrow, but I knew my heel wouldn't want me running 2 days in a row and it needs to feel better for volunteering Monday -- so I will stay home in the morning and put in 90 minutes on my indoor trainor!!

Off to the MVS pasta partay!!  Happy Saturday night!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone hear how Holly made out in Carmel? It was a wonderful day there today.

Surprisingly good, considering I was off running for almost 6 weeks and then a 2-week training plan.  Results aren't posted yet, but my Garmin had me at a 4:56 finish (which included 4 potty stops), which I was very pleased with.  The day was sunny and pretty darn hot - low to mid 70's for the 2nd half of the race.  Now, like Twocat, I am not one to complain about the heat, but I can see that I am not acclimated at all yet.  By mile 16, I was parched, dry-mouthed and "where the heck is the aid station?"  I drank 2 cups of water at every aid station (every two miles) from 16.5 to the end of the race, something I have never done on a road marathon before.  Slathered on the sunscreen, though, so I didn't come out with a burn, as I expected many did.  Best part - no injury, nothing in particular sore, just kind of beat.  Good start to the running season and Marathon #30 in the books!

Okay, now let's get back to the Boston news!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."