Masters Running

Tall's Best Race - Franktown 10K (Read 321 times)

This was a tune up for my marathon in two weeks. I had hoped to get a PB of sub 36:51 which I ran last year at this race. I do not like running 10K’s since they feel like a race at 5K intensity that never ends. Would this year be different? My running after not running all of February due to bad chest cold and tough personal circumstances made me unsure of what to expect. The last month and half my running seems to have turned the corner and I owe it all to two things. Finally running LR’s of longer than 20 miles. In training up to my 3 last marathons I have never but once run longer than 20 miles but once, most of my long runs have been 13 or 15 milers. People are astounded I have been able to run sub 3 on that and never run more than 60 miles in any week. This year I pushed my coach to let me run longer and I have, 3 38K’s in the last 3 weeks, a solid 1:21:51 half marathon race and all this on 4 days of training, 1LR, 1 interval day, 1 tempo day and one easy day. Still under 60 miles a week, closer to 50-52. On Tuesday at my interval day, I told Adrian a very fast runner on my team that I would be running this race, he said he would run to. Well there goes any chance of winning the race but maybe a good person to try and keep in sight. At the race, which my two girls attended (lots of fun since there were tons of kids). I bumped into Adrian and he had brought an old friend from Alberta with him, someone he said who should be right in my range. “Great”. The race starts off fast. I am just a bit behind Adrian and his buddy Alan who run the first K in 3:28. The next ones are in the wind, and I just tuck behind Alan, Adrian is already running 5 seconds ahead. We are running 3:30’s. I can hear Alan struggling, I am feeling fine so I surge once we out of the wind and pass him aggressively. Now it’s only Adrian and I. I stay with him. all k’s are in the 3:30-3:35 range. At the turn around, Adrian looks and is shocked I believe to see I am still within 5 seconds of him. He hits the after burners and makes up some more time on me. I am starting to feel tired but just keep focusing on form and turnover…Adrian makes more time on me 10-15 seconds but I am solidly into 2nd and legs feel great…lungs not bad. I try not to lose too much contact with Adrian but he is a speedster who has run 33’s….so it’s hard. With a K to go Adrian is probably 25-30 seconds ahead of me and I realize the PB is mine but what will it be…I run hard down the chute passing 5K’ers’ and 15k’ers that started at different times. 35:26 (official chip time) a PB by 1:25 seconds over last year. Yeah baby, this is the big one for me. A major accomplishment in my toughest race distance. I think I am ready for the Ottawa Marathon in two weeks. Girls were cheering me on the whole way in….I will be running with pictures of them on me during the Ottawa Marathon. (my strength) Fashion report for the ladies: Black Sugoi shorts, Mizuno blue and white racing singlet, red Mizuno Ronin racing flats and blue Oakley Radar’s. Super Happy Tall. and I won the coffee bet from my coach too...(bragging rights, although he would kick my ass in a race) Now for beers with L and friends at Topdown’s. Tons of kids too. Should be fun

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

Yes, you are definitely ready for Ottawa! Nice run Tall. Spareribs
        Great race Tall.....why am I not surprised at the PB? Good luck as you prepare for Ottawa. Is that run downtown?.....Running up Bank Street towards the Parliament buildings would be interesting. Good luck and thanks for the report. CONGRATULATIONS ! Joey
        Vista
        evanflein

Aaack! So did you pass Adrian?? Hangin' on the edge of my seat here, Tall!! Good job on the PB! I like 10k's better than 5k's but I don't run them as hard as you. Wow, you are tuned and ready for your marathon! Have fun at Topdown's tonight.
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice job! Congrats on the great time and personal best! You're so ready for Ottawa!
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
              Great job, Tall. You beat your already fast 10K time by a bunch. Congrats on the well run race. TomS
              HermosaBoy

Great race Tall! Made me feel good just reading it!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

.....very Strong Racing//.......Congratulations.... you might try stepping on the back of Ol' Adrian's shoe next race.... .......just a thought.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

It is so inspiring to see so many Master's just getting faster and faster! I can't wait to hear all about your marathon in two weeks. Good Luck Tall!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Sweet Race Tall Speedster!

SteveP

Great race Tall and Congratulations on the PR! I would say you are more than ready for Ottawa. Can't wait to read that report. Karin
                          Great racing Tall, It looks like you are rounding into top form at just the right time. Ottawa here we come!
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            WOW!!! That's a great race Tall...Congratulations on your PR!!!
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              I second the WOW Blush 35:33 ... Absolutely awesome and about a half a minute faster than I have ever or ever will run. This indicates great fitness and a great marathon - looking forward to hearing your report from that one. Ray
                                Great race...man, you're not only tall but fast too!! Congrats on the PB! And good luck on the M.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM