Masters Running

Hooked on running with Audiobooks... (Read 459 times)

I started listening to audiobooks a few weeks back when someone on the CR forums mentioned them - I run by myself and on trails and I find it really great way to pass the time.... I'm almost through Ken Folletts latest (20+hours) and put in way too many miles. I've been purchasing thorugh audible.com but I may try to find stuff at local library... I'm an avid reader, but don't get much time to do it, so this is a great thing for me....my only fear is that it inspires me to run too much (I did 90ish miles last couple of weeks). Any other audiblites out there? Ray
      Ray, I bought a book a couple of months ago for my Ipod (since I love to read and like you have little time to do so) but have not tried it yet. Based on your posting I am long overdue so I will give it a go. Seems like you can combine two passions together reading and running so how can it not work out. The only problem for me lately is finding a place to run that is not covered in 6 inches of snow. Very tough winter to get the miles in... Will keep you posted and thanks for inspiring me to try this again. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Ray, This is a good tip for the long runners here, and the wanna-be long runners. Obviously it has worked for you, and that is the best kind of tip. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
          I download free podcasts from iTunes, mostly of various NPR feature shows. I find that running while listening to these stories is generally easier than with music playing, but sometimes I still prefer the music. I don't have an iPod though, so always have to download shows that are available in MP3 format. We also get books on CD from the large collection in our local library, and sometimes rip them to MP3 format if we don't have time to finish them in the checkout period. I haven't tried them on my MP3 player yet, but that's a possibility. The problem is to get them to play in order since they're usually broken up into 3 or 4-minute tracks.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I like to listen to http://www.steverunner.com/. His "goofy little podcasts" usually last about an hour and run the gamut from race reports to profiles of famous runners to rants about Chicago 2007.

Head Procrastinator

I too just recently started listening to audio books on my mp3 player as well to work out and run to and love it. I am getting them free via the web from my local library. They use what they call Nassau Digital Doorway and the software used is Overdrive Media Console. Some libraries use a service called Net Library. That one uses mp3 format, mine uses wma which can't be played on an Ipod (which I don't have). I am interested in hearing what books you love to listen to. I have not stopped one once started but I definitely like some narrators more then others so far. My favorite one so far was The Secret Life of Bees. Not sure a guy would read/listen to that but the narrator was fabulous. My new car has an audio jack too and I've been listening there as well. I also just finished T is for Terror and after going through the rest of that series I have to say that is NOT the voice I had in my head of Kinsey Millhone. I am now listening to Bridge of Sighs.
              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                Ray - I am in my second year with Audible.com. I was sceptical when my husband gave me a Creative Zen for Christmas, but I am hooked at this point. I don't think I could afford enough books for 90 miles/week ;-). I only listen during long trail runs and occasionally on the treadmill when I don't have other suitable distractions. I enrolled in one of the programs - the gold I think. I don't know if it saves much money, but it does make purchasing a breeze, and the subscription seems to last a whole year. I 've become pretty selective - I try to find unabridged books with at least 12 hours playtime and preferably 15 or more hours. I just downloaded a James Patterson trilogy with 22 hours - woohoo! I am also a voracious reader, so I try to stay away from my favorite authors. Happy listening! Sue

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

I like listening to audio books on my LRs. I get them from the library and download them into my computer, then load them onto my mp3 player one disc at a time. Usually I will listen to one disk (about an hour) of an audio book, then switch to music for the rest of my run. My recent book, Eldest, was a 20-disc set, and so got me through the last few months. I find that the narrator is really crucial, and the narrator of Eldest has a wonderful voice, perfect for this epic adventure, able to make dwarves and elves believable. Tonight I will load a Tony Hillarman book and start that Sunday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I love to hook up to an audio book for long runs--it's how I get myself out the door on some days when the weather is bad or I'm just feeling lazy! I agree with you, Barb and Holly; the reader makes a huge difference. Sometimes I'll even select something if I particularly like the reader, even if the book looks iffy (of course, I take mine out of the library, so if I don't like something I don't feel at all compelled to continue with it.) Recently, I listened to a radio show, maybe Talk of the Nation, where folks were discussing if a book you listen to "counts" as being read. I think of course (who is counting, anyway??)--I certainly wouldn't go and read a book I'd listened to, although I have stopped listening to a book because I realized I wanted to read it. (The Thin Place, by Kathryn Davis is one of those. My standards for what I listen to are much lower than what I read, and every once in a while I realize that I'd appreciate a book lots more if I read it. I wish I'd stopped listening to After This, by Alice McDermott--she's a favorite of mine, and I think the audio format obscured the very distinct sketch-type style she used. I'll even do abridged version on audio. A few of Chris Bohjalian's novels worked well; can't remember if they were abridged. grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      My wife, also an avid reader, hates it when I talk of listening to books - she thinks that listening rather than reading is somewhat blasphemous. Just like the hard core runners who would never put on headphones for a run... Ray Shocked
                        I also just finished T is for Terror and after going through the rest of that series I have to say that is NOT the voice I had in my head of Kinsey Millhone.
                        I'll have to get these. I love those books. Who narrates them/voices Kinsey Millhone? Podcasts were my saving grace when training for my first HM, but now that I'm sticking to trails for my long runs, I don't listen to them as much. I need to be able to hear if a wild animal is charging up behind me! Wink

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Head Procrastinator

I'll have to get these. I love those books. Who narrates them/voices Kinsey Millhone? Wink
                          Judy Kay? Don't know her. This is the only one I've heard but apparently she IS the voice Confused And doh me, it's T is for Trespass not terror Amy, I feel the same about lowering my standards when I listen. You don't want to miss any really good writing.
                          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Manchild

My wife, also an avid reader, hates it when I talk of listening to books - she thinks that listening rather than reading is somewhat blasphemous. Just like the hard core runners who would never put on headphones for a run... Ray Shocked
                            I've gotten alot of guff from runners at events on the island about listening to my iPod while running and I'm not sure why. I keep it at a volume that allows me to hear the environs around me and to take part in conversation. I never wore an iPod before two years ago and I find it nice to listen to music or an occasional podcast. I will have to try an audio book. Chris
                            nowor

My wife, also an avid reader, hates it when I talk of listening to books - she thinks that listening rather than reading is somewhat blasphemous. J Ray Shocked
                              When I run I need my ears but I'm addicted to listening to audio books on CD when I drive familiar routes. Otherwise I daydream and end up on my way unexpected. The book corrals the roving part and the other part drives dutifully. I read a lot but love to listen to a stories. I think it's because my mother read aloud every night and since I was from a large family I heard books too old for me (Treasure Island, Wizard of Oz were read to older brother and sister and totally perplexed me) and books too young as my little sisters were read to. She was a good reader and we all stopped for the 1/2 hour she read. A treasured memory is hearing her read all of the Little House books aloud 3 times. Of course we were reading and rereading them during the day.

The Jogger

I have got a french course which I have on my mp3, I listen to and repeat while running, did the first lesson today, good job it's along empty country trails. Big grin I think it's called Pimsler. Roy