Masters Running

Senior Games (Read 41 times)

#artbydmcbride

Feats of Strength!!

Runners run

No more marathons

Quick update - our local senior games track events started last week, and this morning was the 1,500.  There were maybe a dozen entrants, and at 62 I was by far the youngest.  With no competition, and no event specific training (just finished last marathon two weeks ago) I am encouraged by my 5:54 time.  This is about what the pace predictors show based on a recent 10K.  That would have given me a 9th place finish at the last National Senior Games in 2013.

Track 5K and 800 coming up on Wednesday.  Don't expect any more competition for those, so it might be hard to press too much for a 5K.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

great job!

I glanced at our state games to see what lies out there for me to train for at 50+.  Apparently in Wisconsin if you want to race farther than 200 meters you have to walk.  True!

We do have something called Badger State games that has different masters levels.  But there is not a lot of participation there either.  But the record times are pretty good.  So that must be what some good runners use for national qualifying every once in a while.

Walk-Jogger

Bluesky, got any comments on your 800m and 5K track races? I peeked at your times, and they look good. I'm just wondering if the races went down as you thought they might? Those of us who will be running similar races this summer are curious about these matters.

Retired &  Loving It

I think personally, I'll stick to trail races.

Mike, the 2015 National Senior Games is in Minneapolis!  You should do state this year to qualify for nationals next year - you'd totally clean up!

+1 ~~~~~~~~

Walk-Jogger

great job!

I glanced at our state games to see what lies out there for me to train for at 50+.  Apparently in Wisconsin if you want to race farther than 200 meters you have to walk.  True!

We do have something called Badger State games that has different masters levels.  But there is not a lot of participation there either.  But the record times are pretty good.  So that must be what some good runners use for national qualifying every once in a while.

The Wisconsin Senior Olympics is a qualifying meet for the National Senior Games, and has the usual line-up of track & field events.

http://www.nsga.com/state-games.aspx?state=wisconsin

Retired &  Loving It

The Wisconsin Senior Olympics is a qualifying meet for the National Senior Games, and has the usual line-up of track & field events.

http://www.nsga.com/state-games.aspx?state=wisconsin

thanks.  what's weird is I was looking at a site called Wisconsin Senior Games and it talks about the senior Olympics (see link below) so I assumed that was the same thing.  It has only 100m, 200m, and 800m as a race-walk.

http://www.wiseniorgames.org/

bap

If you go to the USATF Masters web-site, click on region, then city/state, it usually has a calendar of local events.

I won the 50-54 age group in my debut 100 meter dash at the NJ "Senior Olympics" in 2013. I ran an amazing 15s, beating out  the only other runner in my age group by 2 100ths of a second.

The winner of the 55-59 AG, Val Barnwell, ran 11.5, a solid start to his return from a 2 year drug ban.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

No more marathons

Bluesky, got any comments on your 800m and 5K track races? I peeked at your times, and they look good. I'm just wondering if the races went down as you thought they might? Those of us who will be running similar races this summer are curious about these matters.

Hi Cecil - yeah those two events went about the same as the 1,500.  No competition, but at least there were more people out there for the events.  Maybe 15 or so.  Anyway, I did manage to pull in a 22:00 even for the 5K  - 7:15, 7:07, 6:56 - so only 20 or so seconds off of my phat old man PR - have to think if I was pushed I could have shaved that much off.  The 800 was about 30 minutes after the 5K was finished and I managed a 2:58 - with 1:29 splits.  So all in all I was pleased with my results and am now doing a little more serious training for the State games which in NC are in September.

He's a leaker!

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice!

No more marathons

great job!

It looks like participation in NC is spotty.  We actually have some pretty fast runners in the over 80 set.  One gentleman in the 1500 with me ran a 6:58, which would be a state record for the senior games. For my age group the record was set in 2002 @ 5:01.  And that wouldn't even crack the top 10 at the national level.  There are some speedy 60 year olds out there.

Looking at last years results I'd be happy with a top 10 in the 1500 and a top 5 in the 5k and 10k (if I could figure out what I need to do to qualify for that event since we don't have one at the state level).

He's a leaker!

someone started a new group by the way for track specifically.

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/TrackandField/forum

No more marathons

someone started a new group by the way for track specifically.

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/TrackandField/forum

Thanks - joined in the discussion there.

He's a leaker!