Masters Running

Wednesday, October 8 Blood Moon Runs and Workouts (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

We're tracking the lunar eclipse here.  If it finishes before the sun comes up it is supposed to turn blood red - very cool!

No run for me today - thought I would give my cranky knee another rest day.  30 minutes or so of weights and core instead.

That stupid pace bunny is breathing down my neck....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Cloudy with intermittent rain around here, so no eclipse viewing for me.

Hope the rest fixes up your knee, Holly.

Set out for 8 this morning, but a break was demanded and I managed to finish a lake loop to end at a little over 5 and no time to get back out.

I've already throttled my pace bunny back and will still be doing well to get within a couple hundred miles.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

We had clear skies and a great view until it eventually dropped behind the trees and rooflines. I checked it out a few times and saw it go from about 25% to fully eclipsed.

Likewise I'm taking another day off, but mainly due to other things on my schedule. Maybe tomorrow...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

C-R

Rest up that knee Holly.

The moon was about 30 degrees above the horizon and directly in front of our front porch so the boys and I got the telescope and watched for a while. Simply beautiful.

Got a quick 7 in  this morning prior to my next trip to DC.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Last night, the moon was remarkable.  Sadly, the eclipsed was eclipsed by clouds.  MAde for a colorful sunrise, but no eclipse.  Evidently some science teachers organized a viewing; when I ran by a community center this am, bunches of kids were out in the parking lot, along with a few police cars directing traffic, lots of cars (parents picking up kiddoes, I think).

Those Maine races sound neat, Kevin.  Really not tough trails, Karin??  And Mari, I was supposed to run the Missoula one but my cat got a UTI so I stayed home with him.

....speaking of which, one of my two current kitties is peeing on the bed.  She started this back in April, which I chalked up to I was packing for Boston.  Since then, she's done it a few more times.  We flipped the mattress after treating it with enzyme cleaner, but it's gone on intermittently.  I don't think it's a UTI.  Both of them (both female and spayed) went to the vet just last month and are fine.  Plus she's not peeing all over, just on the bed.  I think it may be territorial, something to do with the other cat, but they get along fine (or so it seems to me).

So this morning, it happened again.  I know we are going away again, but there are no suitcases out and nothing to tip her off as it's just a car trip with only one overnight.  I was just about to leave for work and boom, there it was.

I scooped up bed covers and stuffed them in the wash before work and now I think I included my current book (paperback) that I was almost finished reading, argh.

Any ideas out there, cat whisperers?  We need help .

Last night I went to Speedsters, ran 4 warm up miles and one cool down, wrapped around 3 miles of 600s.  It was only in the 70s and just super.  Took it very easy this am, as evidenced by comparing times: 8.4 in 1:07 last night vs. 6.05 in 1:01 this morning.

Happy Hump Day!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

I'm jealous of all of you who saw the eclipse - clouds and light rain this morning.  Last night the moon was glorious.

ran 5 in incredibly humid conditions for october. wanted to do more but my body rebelled and all the water has been turned off

maine races sound interesting (specially if there's a short option), but portland is at least 2 hours from boston logan (traffic dependent)

aamos - good luck with the kitties

marj

BlazinCajun

The eclipse was beautiful here this morning - youngest daughter went to her science teachers home for the viewing and chocolate milk

Holly - sorry about your knee and hope it gets better. You need to find a way to put that pace bunny in your rear view mirror.

Good job getting those runs in: stumpy, C-R, AamosY, and mrrun.

AamosY - hope things work out with those cats - no advice to give

Have a run with my oldest daughter this evening. Andrew

Andrew
                ------------------
                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                Hb 3:19

King of PhotoShop

Holly, you will have a great opportunity to rest that knee when you and I are in Mexico. I have some good ideas.

Got the most interesting email today from a lady in CA who follows my Dallas Morning News blog.  She is looking for anyone who has a finisher's medal from Boston 1983.  Apparently, they ran out of medals that year and she has an old friend or relative, now aged 70, finished but didn't get a medal.  So my correspondent is looking to buy one from anybody and give it to her. What a sweet gesture.

Greg Meyer and Joan Benoit won that year. Meyer ran a 2:09 flat.

As for me, I didn't win the Boston Marathon today with my solo 4.4 mile run at the Park at a 10:29 pace, but I'm back in business tomorrow with a few 800 intervals.  Spareribs

Aamos - I have on idea.  We have 5 males cats, four of which are the same age, so the spraying is definitely territorial and something we are constantly dealing with, although things have calmed down somewhat the past couple of months.  Ask your vet about it maybe??

TwoKitty - I keep wondering if I should raise my rates.  As far as I know, I'm the only one who does transcription around here.  My current rate is $35 per hour, unless it's a rush (needed in fewer than 5 business days), and then it's $45 an hour.  After the first of the year, I'm thinking of going to $40/$50.  I basically have no expenses since I email all transcripts.  I'd like to figure out a cheap (read: free) way to market myself to outside the area, but I also don't want to get so bogged down with extra work that I have no time for anything else.

Our skies were/are overcast, so no moon - eclipsed or not - to look at.

Off to work my real job ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The moon was spectacular but the weather that followed was pretty damaging and very close to us.

The worst damage is near the road I use to get to the airport, so I am just grateful I got home yesterday before all this. And thankfully no fatalities or major structural damage.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/national_weather_service_exten_3.html

Ran 6 easy miles just now after a morning of client calls and report writing. Heading off to Ithaca later this afternoon and then no client travel until October 15.

The kiddo is working as the student manager for the xc and track teams now. He had to apply, interview, and beat out 15 others for the spot since they only take one freshman. We are so happy for him and he's loving the opportunity. This means he won't be home for as long over winter break and he will likely work there this summer, but this is his journey and we are watching with pride from a distance. In the meantime I am really liking the Lake of the Ozarks real estate listings. KIDDING!!

Mariposai

Holly, relax and rest the knee, you are going to need to be healthy for Mexico.

Stumpy, look at you running so well!!!

A Rochrunner sighting!!! Hurray!!!

{{{{Aamos, and Kitties}}}}

C-R, safe trip to DC. Business or pleasure??

Andrew, enjoy your run with your oldest daughter.

SpareRibs, that is such a sweet gesture from your reader. I wonder if she writes to the Boston RD if she would get something from them.

Long work days/week (working about 13 hours a day this week), having  house guests all week, and not being able to sleep due to those nasty hot flushes were barriers  to me waking up at 5am to enjoy a moon run. I did however enjoy 5 sunshine smile miles at 8am. It made me happy.

Last Saturday the Easy Pacer and I hiked with the Fjordrunners. We had an splendid time. We even spent the night at their place and we party until late Smile.

Here is picture of me, their dog Pelle and fjordrunner. She says hi to you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, you will have a great opportunity to rest that knee when you and I are in Mexico. I have some good ideas.

Racing back and forth across the continent to sneak around with you will not be restful.....and then of course I have to save some energy for running from the Saint if she finds out, and she's pretty darn fast these days......

Aamos - have you considered making the bedroom a "cat-free" zone?  Or at least locking them out of the bedroom at night and then throwing a plastic tarp over the bed before you leave for work?

Karin - that sounds scary!  At least it appears no one was hurt.

Mariposa - lovely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Karin, those are some incredible pictures. Looked like a giant swiped all those trees and snapped them off! Glad you made it home ok.

Overcast here so no view of the eclipse.

Love the picture of Mariposai and Fjordrunner! And Pelle! Sure miss her and some of the other former regulars from the old CR days. But so glad to have Aamos back here!

Aamos, I've never had a cat do this but apparently it's a common problem. Here's a link to an article about it that might help. Most of the articles I've seen talk about making sure the litter box is clean and accessible, be aware of any changes in the household and even a new cat hanging around outside, and kidney or UTI issues (although you already said she got a clean bill of health). Did you tell the vet about it? They might have some ideas for you.

Got in a really good run last night. Would've liked to go longer but it was getting dark. Today I head to Anchorage this afternoon and will try to get a run in there at the hotel before a reception tonight. I'm presenting at a conference on Thursday, and home tomorrow night. Might be hard to get a run in at all. It is frustrating when you're feeling good and want to run, run, run, but work, travel, weather, etc just seem to crowd out running time. And sorry no, getting up earlier to run in the morning ain't happening... (every now and then, sure, but not on a regular basis).

Great article, Erica.  She has a good sense of humor.

Now if only we could figure out how to train Chico to squat - even a little bit - when he uses the box.  He's a get-in-there-stand-straight-tall-and-proud-and-let-'er-fly kinda guy.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Woke up a little after 4am today. My daughter and Riley were up so I hung around to see if I could do anything to help, but Riley went back to sleep after eating.  No time to rest though because Annabelle woke up and I got her back to sleep. By then it was 6am and no sense in going back to bed.  But now I am pretty tired.

Annabelle said she had a dream about a little girl that didn't get the pet she wanted. Then she lost her hearing and ran away from home.   She wants a dog and there is no room or time for one now so I guess she is planning what she is going to do if she doesn't get her way.

I saw the start of the eclipse today but then it really fogged up and the sky disappeared.

I ran 2 miles because of a severe running addiction. If I don't at least get a small hit, then I can't make it through the work day. But since I've been tired the last couple evenings I kept it short. I did push the 2nd mile pretty hard. Felt good.

I leave in 4 days. I'll really miss Annabelle but I'll be glad to get in my own bed and have some time to myself again.  Counting the travel days this will be a 17 day trip and I am bushed.