Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run w/e 12/30 (Read 283 times)

3 miles this afternoon.  Beautiful day.  Cold and snow (and dark) expected tonite.

Enjoy, my running campaneros!

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house.....

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Merry Christmas, Friends ~

I haven't been able to get in here much the last few days, but I see everyone is still percolating right along.

Will be praying for Stevie Ray and whatever is going on with him.

I'm on the injured reserve list.  Saturday toward the end of my LR, my foot (the one I injured in 2011) suddenly started hurting like before.  I wasn't running fast, downhill, or anything.  Just a nice easy road run.  Once I got home, it stopped bothering me and I completely forgot about it.  Then yesterday, about a mile into 4 EZ, it hit again and I had to limp 1.25 miles home .  It's the same sensation as before, plus the same swelling and discoloring, so I fear the ligament is damaged again.  I'm really worried.  I'm waffling about whether to get back on the crutches until I can get in to see my ortho as I don't know if I'm doing more damage when I walk on it.

I have had absolutely no problems with my foot in over a year and I"m not running excessive mileage right now, so I don't understand. Suffice to say, all plans for next year are officially on hold until I find out what's going on.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

8.2 Sunday and a couple cold ones today, This week's schedule might be a bit of a challenge with temps and yr end.

Ev bet you got lots of snow......and dark last nite :-)

Leslie hope your foot problems are minor.

Merry Christmas from Dessa Lou and company.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

ev - thanks for starting us out, sounds like you might have awakened to a white Christmas! We only got the dark part.

Leslie - ooooooooooh....bummer....take care of that foot! Seems to me you saw a doctor last time? I can't remember what you did to fix it.

Jim - bundled up to the max in that pic! Doesn't look very running friendly. Maybe Dessa Lou disagrees, she looks happy.

Merry Christmas to everyone else out there. My wishes for a happy and healthy new year for everyone!

Signed up for Nobby's program to get me pointed in the right direction for racing 5Ks and 10Ks in 2013, just to have a look at the kind of thing I'm supposed to be doing. Looks tough! Should be interesting...

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Merry Christmas to the 40's................crew.  Hope it was happy and everyone is relaxing and playing with their new toys.

We actually had a white Christmas (for a few hours) this morning.  I went out for a 3.1 lake loop this morning before DD struggled out of bed at 10am.  less than an inch on the ground, but still the first run of the season with snow.  Just over 9 minute pace--fastest non-race loop in quite a while.  Surprised DW with a Kindle Fire so she's spent some time figuring it out and already has a book or three downloaded.  Hope she enjoys it.

Leslie--sorry to hear that the foot is acting up again.  It seemed like you were builidng up slowly to avoid this.  maybe yor'e allergic to roads.  Stick to the trails.  hope you find out good things soon.

Ev--your miles seem to be increasing gradually, too.  Onward into the new year.  Dark is the one thing that the meterologist seem to nail every day.  the rest, not so much.

Jim--so just in case the actual farming isn't hard enough, then you get abused with all the end of year accounting.  Hope it's not just to find out how hard you worked for so little reward.  Hope Desi got lots of goodies.

Max the dog was acting a lot closer to puppy than the 12-1/2 that he is--good thing he's got a strong stomach.  He had two rawhide candy canes, a handful of happy hips treats, and a peanut butter bone on top of his regular breakfast.  And still wanted whatever we ere eating.

Happy rest of the holiday week--I won't know what to do with myself.  Not back to work until 1/2/13.

Joe and Arla--here's hoping you'll catch that wascally wabbit.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

Hi to All and Merry Christmas!

Thanks Ev- Big game for you guys Sunday night.  Maybe it's the Cowboy's turn this year.

Leslie- hope that you caught that in time and your foot is not seriously hurt. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Nice pic Jim! What is that white stuff all over the place?

Arla- good luck with your plan. I'm sure it's going to make you faster.

Stumpy- Enjoy your time off! Sounds like you deserve it.

Nice quiet holiday weekend with only an 8 er to show for on Monday. Time to buckle the chin strap and chug out another 50 miles before New Year's.

Max the dog was acting a lot closer to puppy than the 12-1/2 that he is--good thing he's got a strong stomach.  He had two rawhide candy canes, a handful of happy hips treats, and a peanut butter bone on top of his regular breakfast.  And still wanted whatever we ere eating.

Go, Max!  (Hope there was no barfing involved later in the day)

Go, Arla and Joe!!  Catch that bunny!

Jim - It looks freaking cold there.

I have a doctor appointment for the 3rd.  In the meantime, I've put myself on crutches and am doing the same routine as before - icing, ibu, contrast baths, elevation.  I've revised my goals and just want to be in the clear to crew for Kate at Western States at the end of June.  The rest of it . . . well, we're in this running biz for the long haul, aren't we?  Patience is a virtue.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Stumpy - sounds like you had a nice Christmas with your family, and nice tempo-ish run there! Guess that white stuff will motivate you to get it done!

Joe - almost there! Bring it on in.

Leslie - sounds like you're doing the right thing. I hope that you can get to the bottom of what's causing this. Stumpy might have a point that keeping away from the road as much as possible is a good thing. I also find that getting out there more often, daily if possible, seems to keep the doctor away, as Nobby and others point out "active recovery" really can work.

Family matters conspired yesterday to make me have to bag run #2 of the day, so now I'm going to have to find somewhere else to plug in 9 more miles here and there over the next few days. 56 more miles in 5 days, so close but yet so far.

Ex runner

56 miles in the next 5 days - - Good luck!

Karen has also mentioned getting off the road, but it's not an option for me.  I can't get out and run in the middle of the day, so it has to be before or after work.  There is absolutely no way Shorty would let me run on trails in the dark by myself, and to be honest, I would not feel comfortable at all.  There are too many weird people living off the grid in our area.  But also as I told her, when you're powering down a hill or power walking up a hill on the forefoot, I would assume you're putting just as much strain on the foot as on the road because of the angles.  I don't know, we'll see.  I'm preparing myself for the worst and hoping for the best.

In the meantime, I need to get reacquainted with my stationary bike. Dead

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Maybe you need some Hokas, but by golly they're expensive!

Ex runner

Leslie.....hopin the foot is just a minor thing.  Sounds like youre taking care of it.  Here's to the best...

JIm.....nice Sunday run for you  I had a couple of cold ones myself. Wink   We got 1.5 inches here at my place.  Othr parts of the state got a little more or a little less.  I believe it was dark for nearly evryone.

Arla.....indeed we did wake up to a beautiful white Christmas.  Good luck on the race for mileage....I'm pullin' for you....you're awesome!

Yes, Stumpy, I'm working those miles upward and onward!  Looks like you're puttin in some nice consistent miles.

Joe....you mean the Cowboys still have a chance?  Are you kidding me?  Just shows the state of the eastern division.  sigh...   Good luck, just 50 more huh?  It's in the bag!  You're awesome!

Anothr 3 spot for me this afternoon.  Still got snow on the ground as it's not been above 20 something for several days.  It finally creeped up past 30 today.

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Arla - I said the same thing to Karen!  And yes, they are very expensive.  Reeediculous!

Howdy Do, Everybody ~

Okay - I was wide awake at 4:00 and the cats wanted to be fed and The Hub was ignoring them, so I got up.  30 min of stationary cycling (it's been awhile since I have been acquainted with that seat. Shocked), followed by about 45 min of strength training while sitting on the stability ball and core workout with the ball and on the BOSU.  Am doing modified leg strength training that doesn't require any standing.   . . . . I'm already bored with this routine and it's only been one day. Yeah, that's right, I'm still throwin' myself a pity party!  My hands hurt from the crutches, I'm sore where they rub near my bra line, and I've succumbed once again to crawling around on the floor to get things done.    . . . . . Okay.  I feel much better.  Thanks. Smile

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

ev - it just keeps on getting colder out your way! Here I am whining about highs in the 50s.

Joe - four...

Leslie - sounds apropos to throw yourself a pity party. Thinking more about those crazy Hoka Oneone shoes, even if they do cost a bundle, it just might be worth it if it saves you on medical bills or missed races or what-not. I know a lot of ultra folks swear by them, there must be something to that.

Made my am jog loop past the local running shop. They keep big binders with past race results in them, so I took a look at what the 50 - 54 women have been doing. The best times are 45 - 48:00 for the 10K, and 20 - 22:00 for the 5K. Current PRs are 48:44 and 22:30, so it's realistic but there's gonna be some work to do! Big grin

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Are those soles as thick as they look?  It would seem like your'e on stilts.

I made it out for just under 5 miles this morning. 29° and a nice breeze. I took a different route than around the lake after I noticed a nearby road that I don't travel on very often not only had a nice asphalt sidewalk for several miles, but was situated such that I could run into the wind on the way out and have it at my back on the way back.  Seems that no matter which way I go around the lake that the wind is in my face for the last section.  I was nice and comfortable on the way out, but as soon as I turned around, I started overheating, so no gloves, hat, or wind shirt by the end.

Won't get to my 1000K, but I already have more miles this month than since March.  I think I'm going to try a half by the end of Feb/beginning of March and aim for a marathon May/June.  There's a brand new one in Lubec, ME that will run into Canada to Campebello island.  Sounds like it might be neat.  So, all you experts--If I am at a 7-8 mile long run and about 20 miles a week, does this make doing a Higdon beginner training a realistic goal?  And it would seem that I may actually not be travelling TOO much during that time frame.

Arla--With all your miles, being that close, I would think there may be some AG wins in your future.

Happy warmup weekend for New Year's to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey running folks.

an easy 3 spot for me this afternoon.

Keep going Arla and Joe....you can do it.

Whethr your running in 20, 30, 50 or 70 degree weathr, enjoy it all!