Masters Running

Wednesday, 8.5.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids,

The big winner in the Talk Like Tet fun yesterday was, well, Tet, because who can talk more like Tet than Tet, even though Mike tried to confuse (or defuse or infuse) the issue when he said: "I think enke talks like tet better than tet talks like tet and tet is tet!"  But I do agree that Enke is a great runner-up, and that Mike is, well he's just scary sometimes! BTW - Happy Birthday, Mike!

Aamos, running skirts for women at races are a great idea, and a nice change from race shirts. I may steal that idea...

Holly, how'd DD do in the V-ball tryouts?

Tet, thanks for letting us have some fun at your expense yesterday, and for reminding us of just how impressive and successful a runner our Aamos is.

Enke - so, you're having a good week?

Good line, Stumpy!

Nice to see B-C popping in. Jlynne too!

Yep, WildChild - family dynamics are always 'interesting.' I hope you have a good visit with your folks and DS.

I hope everything is OK back in Ludington, TSelbes.

Nice riding by Roch and Deeze yesterday! Sad story about Roger, Roch. How good of you all to take the extra time and effort to keep an eye on him to keep him safe.

Thanks for the photos and video, Steve. Seeing all those trees down is pretty dang scary.

6.2 RW miles in much better weather than yesterday: 63F and still a bit muggy, but I didn't feel it near as much in the cooler temps, so it was an enjoyable workout. Now I'm going out for BWB (breakfast with the boss) before heading to work.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning.  I think no one wants to follow Jay as he does such a perfectly swell job of saying all that needs to be said.

so, ah, just six and a third for me this am, and NO Speedsters last night, trying to be wise and prudent, still.......

Jay, the running skirts are by Brooks, if you do follow up on that.

And I forgot to add that another feature of the Blister is no harmful rays from automated  timing chips--just the RD's wife (RD ran the race) at the finish, noting our times----so the RD and family handmade our bibs, and we each got something individual, e.g, one fellow who was running his 100th marathon got a bib featuring that, a woman from Kentucky had "Kentucky Girl" on hers.  I got "Famous Amos" in the Famous Amos chocolate cookie design.  If you go to the Blister Facebook page, there are photos of them.    Very sweet.    OH, and we each got a jar of  homemade sweet hot picked peppers from the RD's wife at the finish.

OK and that's the end, I promise.  It really was a ton of fun and I recommend it bunches.

.......and now I need me another goal........

Image result for stick figure, one person walking into sunset

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Roch, what on earth is that Ilitch up to? He had the best GM in baseball and lets him go?

Update on statin experience.  Ran 9 today, hot morning, and it was effortless, about 22 seconds a mile faster than the last attempt at this distance, and rarely had to stop, so I'm encouraged.  I'm going to play bridge this afternoon as I have no work.

Never thought I would say this here but we are in the middle of a heat wave, which for us is different from what most people would call a heat wave.  Of our high temps this week, the lowest of them will be 104. But at 7 a.m. when I started today it was low 80's and fairly comfortable.   Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - she made the team!

Erika - while I don't necessarily welcome the constant to and from practices and games, DD has been driving me crazy this summer with her need to be constantly busy and her constantly pushing/pestering for freedoms that I am not yet comfortable allowing (like roaming the mall with her friends, etc.).  Therefore, I am looking forward to school and sports starting so her time will be filled with productive (and hopefully safer) activities.

Ribs - good news on the effortless running.

5.6 miles for me this morning in 64 degrees, including 6 x 1/4 to 1/3 mile fartleks, randomly thrown in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Roch, what on earth is that Ilitch up to? He had the best GM in baseball and lets him go?

Everyone's speculating on that, but it's clear that there must have been some recent incident or blow-up of some sort. The timing is so weird as well as the way his successor had his first press conference, but without anyone from the Ilitch family present.

Denise, I didn't know that you were such a strong biker. And doing a brick is harder than anyone who hasn't done one realizes, especially if you get off the bike and immediately try to start running.

Amy, I'll belatedly add my congratulations on your 150th! At least I was there as witness to your 149th.

I went back to the park this morning and ran another 6 miles with about 50% trails, this time taking a different route to avoid the big mudholes, and finished with dry shoes. The section of trail that I hadn't run on before was known to me as a favorite X-C skiing trail, but of course it looks a lot different in the summer. The mountain bikes that use the trails have caused a lot of erosion on the steeper downhills and I had to walk down a couple of them due to the deep ruts and loose gravel. We are in another run of great weather here now that the highs are barely hitting 80.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

And I forgot to add that another feature of the Blister is no harmful rays from automated  timing chips--just the RD's wife (RD ran the race) at the finish, noting our times----so the RD and family handmade our bibs, and we each got something individual, e.g, one fellow who was running his 100th marathon got a bib featuring that, a woman from Kentucky had "Kentucky Girl" on hers.  I got "Famous Amos" in the Famous Amos chocolate cookie design.  If you go to the Blister Facebook page, there are photos of them.    Very sweet.    OH, and we each got a jar of  homemade sweet hot picked peppers from the RD's wife at the finish.

OK and that's the end, I promise.  It really was a ton of fun and I recommend it bunches.

.......and now I need me another goal 

Image result for stick figure, one person walking into sunset

amy - what a great marathon for no. 150.

In case the PNW might work out again sometime,

. . . I'm thinking about some options for the other part.

however, please break that promise about the end of Blister reminiscing

Congratulations holly , and ribs.
              jay - thanks for the reality check yesterday, and inspiration (with help from mikeE and enkE).
              Sometimes this forum supposedly about running is too real, after all.
              I’ve turned over a new leaf and already set three PR’s:
              . . 1.  four consecutive months of training runs (May/June/July/August)
              . . 2.  two training runs in one day (yesterday: 7am-8am / 6pm-7pm)
              . . 3.  three training runs in 24 hours (this morning: 6am-7am)
              yippee
              Thanks

ps - love the sand dunes tales from Ludington by roch / tom / steve
              Only been there once but will never forget

Things To Do

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

jay - thanks for the reality check yesterday, and inspiration (with help from mikeE and enkE).
                Sometimes this forum supposedly about running is too real, after all.

Hey!  You better not go changing anything!  We love you just the way you are!

Henrun

Congrats to Aamos, Denise, Holly, Ribs, Tet and everyone I left out- what a dynamic group of people on this forum even when reality enters (or perhaps reality makes all the creative and interesting group  we experience here).

I did a very small brick this morning with the improving weather- a 3 mile bike trip to a meeting followed bya 5.6 mile run.

Now waiting for a visit from my DD, SIL and DGS's who flew in this morning from "Holly land" for their annual summer visit to Ma and NH to see family and friends (my DD grew up in "Jay land".

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey!  You better not go changing anything!  We love you just the way you are!

Absolutely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Denise, I didn't know that you were such a strong biker. And doing a brick is harder than anyone who hasn't done one realizes, especially if you get off the bike and immediately try to start running.

Thanks Roch!! I'm not fast, but I feel like I am getting stronger and my endurance is building. It's kind of funny if anyone was ever watching me do these bricks -- I dash into the house, use the bathroom really quick, change from bike shoes into sneakers and get right out the door. I'm sure it takes me a little longer than my transitions in a race, but I try to make it pretty real!

Ribs - so glad your runs are feeling better already!!

Aamos - that race sounds great - I am going to look up the FB page - not that I would ever do that course!! 

I went into work for 3am this morning and was asked to be the baby nurse again -- they were having such a busy night before I arrived the charge nurse had to carry the beeper and that's never a good plan!!  So anyway, I decided to keep a tally of the births, boys and girls for you guys:

Between 3am - 7p --- I attended 14 deliveries: 9 boys, 5 girls;  I didn't get to 5 deliveries because I was already in one of the others at the same time - those included 3 boys, 1 set of twin girls, and 1 very sad 22 week demise ........and this is not an unusual day for our labor floor.

Now I am going to sleep keeping all those families in my prayers.

denise

mrrun

Bricks - I remember those.  when I was running tri's, I'd come home from work on my bike and go out and run - I don't miss those days!  today a duathlon of sorts - I ran 5 miles to an outdoor concert and met DH.  at intermission, he stayed for the full concert and I ran home under a glorious sky.  I had planned on taking the T home, but it was a perfect night with low humidity - couldn't waste it!

ribs - keep up the good news

tet - nice training runs

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yeah, Deeze...I'm sure you have seen more than your fair share of sad outcomes...I don't think I could handle seeing one.

I am really glad to hear you're feeling better, Ribs...we all knew something wasn't right.  It sounds like you figured it out.

I hardly ever have breakfast with the boss, Jay...she usually just pats me on the head and kicks me out the door every morning.

I think you're famous for more than just cookies, Aamos!

Congratulations to that kid of yours Holly.  She is really a special athlete, isn't she?

Nice run, Roch.  Glad you were able to avoid the mud this time.

Have fun with the family Henry!

Congratulations on your PR's tet...are you training for anything special?

I did 11 miles, tonight in 1:17:21, which included 7 miles of tempo.

Okay--that's is.  See ya!

Oh--thanks for the all the nice birthday wishes, yesterday.  I had a pretty good day...except for turning 57 dang years old!

oops--hi Marj!

Just came by to say hello. I had a very busy day at work. It is late now. Good night. I hope to report back in with a run tomorrow. Here the dew point is supposed to get all the way down to 54°. Good relative to what we have seen lately. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Fun to read through the Tet Appreciation Day thread from yesterday!

Well got a late evening run in on a lovely balmy evening.

Back to Enke and her very happy week.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mariposai

Back to Enke and her very happy week.

Yeahhhh, back to Enke's week.

Just 4 milrs to report and a shout out to Holly for winning the hard battle of daughter wanting too much freedom.

Night everyone.  BTW,  yesterday's thread a la tet was fun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard