Masters Running

Post your winter running tips here (Read 496 times)

Johnny Tsunami here who moved from Hawaii to New England and needs cold weather running tips for a warm weather wimp. Any words on how to keep warm will be greatly appreciated. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

evanflein

Layers... Ok, maybe some more info... Dress for the end of your run, or at least after you're warmed up. You'll be chilly at first but that's ok. Over-dressing is bad because you'll sweat too much and get chilled. I don't deal with wind but I do run in some pretty cold temps (down to -23 last year) and layers are my best defense. For really cold runs, I wear poly-pro gloves inside of Brooks mitts, Brooks winter-weight tights under heavier pants (can't recall the brand), a wool vest under two long sleeved winter weight tech shirts, a fleece jacket over all of it, full balaclava face mask with headband over that for my ears, neck gaitor... hmm, maybe that's it? I wear Smart-wool socks in normal running shoes. I know Holly has lots of cold weather ideas, too.
      wildchild

Carolyn

I agree with Erika about dressing to be comfortable at the end of your run, unless you're running somewhere remote or that will take you a fairly long way from home. In that case, I usually dress to be fairly comfortable for the first mile, then take off gloves/hat/windshirt as necessary and carry them. That way I have a few extra layers to put on later if it gets colder. The weather can be changeable, and I wouldn't want to get caught out without enough clothing if the temperature drops 10 degrees or the wind picks up. I also made an excel spreadsheet from my running log, with columns for temperature, weather conditions, what I wore, and how it worked. I sort on temperature. I refer to it when dressing for a run in cold weather. It reminds me of what layers work well for a given temperature.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, just remember that it will be HARD to make yourself get out the door at first, but almost always you'll be glad you made the effort. I love running in the cold (as long as it's not too terribly windy). I find that I overdress early in the season, and dress lighter as time goes on. It's just so invigorating and beautiful in the winter. I should add that I wimp out and use a treadmill if it's below zero F. But everyone has their own limit. Another tip that I learned on RA: If it's windy, when you go out for a run, head INTO it, so it won't be as cold on your return trip. Sometimes it's not convenient, but I've learned that it's important enough that I will figure out a different route if I have to.

Top 'O the World!

Yak Trax &/or "snow sneakers" ...pay attention to warm feet!
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            TammyinGP

Treadmill.

Tammy

xor

My favorite winter running tip: Go back to Hawai'i for a visit. Ok, aside from that, if you are an island boy like I am... be prepared to layer up more than other people and be able to absorb the accompanying ridicule. I show up in three shirts when everyone else is in short sleeves. I've gotten a little better at bracing through cold, but I just decided not to worry about it as much. That said: pay particular notice to evanflein's comment about chilling after a run if you've sweated buckets into your layers. Edited to add: Oh wait. "Johnny Tsunami" isn't a boy; it's you. Ignore the island BOY comment, and just substitute the word PERSON.

Hey Flyin! The wind chill factor can be tough here too on our shared running paths of Western, MA. I echo the layers approach and I also throw my running pants and inner core layer into the dryer for a few minutes before I head out. I don't do this on all runs, but when I am running a longish run and I have time, I'll throw the layers into the dryer and then dress in the laundry room and zip out the door. It helps with that first bite of cold. As long as my core and extremities are warm, I am good. Erika's advice about dressing for the end of your run is great. You will warm up and even sweat lots. It seems weird, but I'll even do a few jumping jacks inside before I go out just to get the blood moving and the warmth going. Go for it....you'll be fine! CNY PS....as of January 1 the Smith College indoor track is open from 6-8 AM free of charge for the community until Spring break in March. A great place to get some miles or speed in when it's just too icy and snowy out.

Renee the dog

and I also throw my running pants and inner core layer into the dryer for a few minutes before I head out. I don't do this on all runs, but when I am running a longish run and I have time, I'll throw the layers into the dryer and then dress in the laundry room and zip out the door.
                    LOL -- I put my socks over the heat register until they are toasty...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Me

Move to Tennessee! Bwaa Haa Haa Haa Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Mike
                        Bandana - must carry a bandana for the runny nose.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Prince of Fatness

Dress for the end of your run, or at least after you're warmed up. You'll be chilly at first but that's ok. Over-dressing is bad because you'll sweat too much and get chilled.
                          Add another vote here. My rule of thumb is if I feel comfortable when I step outside I am overdressed. Some other things.... The wind is a major factor. Running into the wind can make you feel chilly, but you can get real hot with the wind to your back. On real windy days I'll bring a jacket that has a zipper, so I can adjust a little as I go. Bottom line is that you'll need to experiment with what clothing works for you in the colder temps. Not a temperature tip .... Less daylight in the winter. If you are running in the dark wear reflective gear, and NEVER assume that drivers see you. In the northeast we often can have a rainstorm, followed by a sudden drop in temperatures. It can go from 60 to 30 in minutes. Watch out for black ice ... much worse than snow. Sometimes running in the winter can be a chore. Getting out the door is the hardest part. Just keep telling yourself that it's money in the bank for when the spring racing season comes.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Move to Tennessee! Bwaa Haa Haa Haa Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Mike
                            Ack, no thank you. There was a reason I moved away from the south. Big grin
                              Evan, 23 below?! Ugh. I dont think I have even been in temps much below zero. Youre hard core. Karin, I knew Smith had an indoor track but didnt know it was open to the public. Thanks! lopez, Hawaii and Miami have been calling my name. I have a feeling though if I visit either I would end up staying. Mike, I had a blast down there during A and C school. It would be fun again. Such a beautiful place. Thanks everyone else. Its 35 out right now and thats brrr to this warm weather wimp. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

coastwalker

I was nodding my head while reading most of the earlier posts: Layering is great; dress to be chilly at the start of your workout, or you'll be hot and sweaty by the time you finish; be aware of the wind, but don't let it deter you from your workout; get the blood flowing a bit before you head out so you'll get to a comfortable temperature more quickly; and do be very mindful of black ice - one slip can easily lead to an injury. Two things to add: Don't think about the temperature before heading out or you might not go - just get dressed and get out there, and you'll be glad you did. Also, be careful of your hands and feet, especially if you have poor circulation or other issues. I do have poor circ in my hands, and so I glove more heavily than others. Lined, water/wind-proof mittens are the only things that work for me when the temp gets down to single digits or below. Winter workouts are fantastic! The air is clean, fresh, crisp, and invigorating. I alway think about taking a month or so off in the winter, but I never do, and I'm never disappointed from having been outside as much as possible during that time. But I also know I have to be more flexible: I don't have a treadmill, and the gyms don't open early enough for me. So when the roads are too slick or the snow's too deep, I just sleep in. Also keep in mind that snowshoeing and cross-country skiing are great winter cross-training options. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.