Masters Running

Go Packers Sunday - January 04, 2015 (Read 43 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Still shuddering from so many races in the rain last year and savoring the new year’s rare Resolution 5K Run in the sun so I’ll be listening to a few football games while puttering around for Wednesday’s trip to Japan.  GO PACKERS!!   Except when Roger Staubach was there, I ‘ve never figured out how Dallas became “America’s team” over the Packers.  Maybe they’ll prove it too today but I’m rooting for Detroit. 

ps mike: I wonder if my friend Bernie who came up to the Alaska fish camp from his college in Minnesota is still as crazy about the Twins as in 1962.  What a history.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' Tet and everyone,

I seem to have lost interest in football: I haven't seen a single game this (or last) year, and that's OK. So I'll continue my streak, and not watch any games today either.

We got some snow overnight, which turned to sleet and freezing rain, and which we hope will turn to rain in a little while. The driveway was crunchy when I went out to get the paper earlier, and I'd rather not have to chip it all away if I can avoid it. It is supposed to get to the upper 40s later today, and we hope it does and takes all this mess away. We'll be in the freezer for the rest of the week, so whatever doesn't get cleaned up today will be here for a while.

I hope you're feeling better after your fall, Jlynne. Good for you for reallocating yard equipment to DS2 so he doesn't have to go shopping. At our very first house, we and 3 neighbors shared a $15 push lawnmower so we each didn't have to lay out the money for one. The last couple in their house kept the mower.

Good for you for easing back to running, Robin. Keep up the good work.

Holly, I also can't relate to a $200 bottle of wine. I really like my $8 Chateau Langlade Medoc from Trader Joe's, and DW likes Estancia Pinot Grigio and Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc, both on sale at the NH State Liquor Store for under $9/bottle.

I think Marj & Henry ARE everywhere!

Leslie, yard work should be in a training log! Sometimes/often it is harder than a road workout.

Tet, it is so easy to post/speak about things that loom large in our minds, but are not quite at the forefront of other people's thoughts. When our company was here, many thoughts were brought up out of context, and we had to reel them back in to figure out what was really being said. Lesson learned.

Congrats to W-C for an early 2015 AG win!

Because of the weather forecast, I took today as an SRD. I still have chores to do, including washing the kitchen floor and house-wide vacuuming. But I also hope to find some time to go butt-down, feet-up later this afternoon with a book and maybe a glass of that wine.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I'm with you - I'd be just as happy with a simple merlot like Red Diamond or Little Black Dress.  Some of the Cameron Hughes merlot and meritage lots have been quite nice as well.  DH really likes Bridlewood Blend #175, says it's his all-time favorite, sells for about $16 I think.

52 degrees when I woke up today, but the temps are dropping fast, and by the time I got out running it was 47 and 42 when I got back from my run.  The 20-25mph winds made it seem colder than that, and I could have used another layer.  Still, it will be down to 16 degrees tonight and looks to be pretty darn cold the rest of the week.

9.05 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...yep,  GO PACKERS///////...........our HS team modeled on them, and won 2-State Championships doing it.......

=========

...30-min poolrun yesterday,

60-min bikeride today..40's and raining,

FINALLY

figured out I had my helmet mirror on SIDEWAYS and had a much safer ride

duh

...............almost makes me want to cancel my Self-Taught SkyDiving Lesson for next weekend........

.....good running guys...............if you can't do something Smart, at least do Something.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

The Pack earned a bye week!  We'll all have to root for them next week!

Wine...I do not have a discerning enough palate to tell the difference between a $12 bottle of wine and a $200...I do know what I like. Red, on the dry side and more than one glass.

If wine is like Bourbon, I can spend $30 on a bottle that will rival a $150 bottle every time.

Short 4.8 miles. New snow, 3" so it was a good workout.

New skirt in town

Mmmm, wine. That is all.

Lots of snow and slush on the ground, which is fine by me because my plans called for a non-running day today. 1.5 hours on the elliptical this AM, and then 45 minutes at my ballroom dance lesson with DH.  No metatarsal complaints.

The rest of the morning will be spent de-Christmasify-ing the house, which is exercise in itself.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Dave59

I ran a 5k yesterday in some nice heavy snow. The numbers were down for this race and it is probably from the bad roads.  It is the 2nd of 4 in a winter series.  You get 10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd, etc. (in each age group.)  I was 3 of 5 the first race, and this time the 1st place guy didn't show and I was 2 or 3 in my age group.  I just need that one other guy to miss a race and I have a shot at the age group award. 

I hurt my hip a week or two ago on the hip abductor machine at the gym.  I always stayed away from the abductor and adductor machines because I heard they were worthless, but someone talked my into it to strengthen my hips and improve my running.  I have been running every day, even with the soreness, but after the race yesterday my hip got a little worse.  Running harder and on snow and ice must have aggravated it some more.  It even looks a bit puffy to me, but that could be fat.

Anyway, long story short, I am going to skip running until my hip feels better.  Today will be nothing but steering the snowblower around the driveway and sidewalks.  Tomorrow I'll go get a look at the newly remodeled gym and do an upper body workout.

We've got about 6-8 inches of snow.  I ran the snow blower yesterday just to make sure it still worked.  I ran it this morning before Cindy and I went out to breakfast, but then we got another burst so I'll have to get it out again.  I need to clean up everything as much as I can before the temperature drops to 5 degrees tonight.  Otherwise everything will be rutted and icy until the next thaw which could be weeks away.  Scheduled for a cold, cold week.

See y'all later, a  pan of peanut butter cookies is about to come out of the oven!

Tramps

Nice running folks.

I have a soft spot for the Packers because they're a publicly owned non-profit, but won't be rooting for them until next week.

Dave--hope the hip improves quickly.

Cold nasty rain all day yesterday so I sat it out.  Did 11 today to keep up with the bunny.  It's an oddly warm, misting day.  I went back and forth on a 1.5 stretch of road in case the dark threatening skies ever let loose.  They never did.

Be safe. Be kind.

Nice to see y'all cheering for the Packers, and nice to see y'all running in much warmer temps than we have in Wisconsin right now. I was just thinking it's a good thing the playoff game isn't this weekend at Lambeau. It's 14° here with a "wind chill advisory" making it fee like -11. Oh. And it's snowing. Has been since yesterday afternoon. Probably about 4-6 inches of new stuff. I'll really have to bundle up at the game if it stays like this into next weekend.

Round and round the track at the Y this morning for 4 miles (got tired of saying "on your right" and "excuse me" to walkers who were using the middle lane instead of the inside one). Darn new people!  Then 30 minutes of weights and core.

Careful with that sky diving lesson, Tom. But thanks for the laugh!

Take care of your sore hip Dave.

We had the grand boys over for dinner last night and they were playing in the snow before we ate. I brought out a bunch of kitchen utensils and some old pans for them to play with which are now buried under the new snow we just got. I'm wondering what the new owners will think if we can't find them before March 1

evanflein

Jlynne, that's a good use of old kitchen utensils, but yes it could be an interesting "find" for the new owners.

Dave, probably a good plan to rest that hip. You can google some good hip flexor strengthening exercises that keep you away from those machines. I agree they're not very effective.

The more expensive wines tend to be much more complex and some people either don't detect/notice the elements (some say "layers") or don't like it. I think Holly had a Silver Oak cabernet, right? That's a very pricey producer and they make a very high quality, luscious wine and I love it. But I don't buy it. You can get very high quality wines in the $30 to $50 retail range. And yes, there is a glut of pretty good grapes in the lower price range that make some good "daily drinkers" but they tend to be pretty "fruit forward" (also called "fruit bombs") and a lot of people don't like them. But a lot of people who just want a simple glass of wine find them just fine. To each his own. I like a range of styles, but prefer a wine with more acidity than most simple wines just because it goes better with food. There aren't many Italian wines I don't like....  Smile

-22 this morning and zero here at the house. Dang. I guess I'm on the treadmill again today. I just don't care to bundle up that much today.

Back to work tomorrow. Geez it's amazing how the time flies.

King of PhotoShop

I'm with EK on not liking most of those old gym machines, such as Nautilus.  And some good exercises and laying off the running are good ideas.  Hope you feel better soon Dave.

For my wife it's Malbec.  Go figure. I don't drink wine very much.

Honestly, I don't know any football fan who does not like the Packers, for many reasons mentioned here. As for jlynne's "sorry Ribs" the other day, I root for the Cowboys mostly because of my RP and her husband.  He works for the team and she has been so kind to have me at many games in the Cowboys suite.  But as some of you know I am a Jets fan, and next year when the NFC east plays the AFC east, there will be a Jets-Cowboys game and I will root for the Jets, horrible as they are.

As for today, Matt Stafford, QB of the Lions, graduated from Highland Park High School here in Dallas and has many local fans.  Everyone has followed the kid since h.s. and Detroit will get a lot of support locally today.  Dallas is by far the most popular team in the U.S., but they are also very polarizing, and locally we have many fans who hate them.  A lot like the Yankees who are the most popular baseball team.

Breger is a Dolphins fan and gets very frustrated with them. And at 4-12 this year I haven't had much fun either.  On FB just before the season ended I posted to him, "hey Bill, Jets-Dolphins Sunday!"  He didn't reply.

Felt sorry for Mike E. yesterday.  He was able to run just under two hours, but the Saint and I outperformed him easily this morning, running for 2 hours, 17 minutes.  Of course he did 16 and we did 13 but that is not important.  The Saint did her first ever "wave" run and she found it very difficult. I was proud she got through it however.

Watching the very talented Andrew Luck as I write this.  What a fun time of the year it is.  Spareribs

...jylnne//.......be gentle to the New Year Resolutioners

........they'll be gone in about 3- weeks anyway..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet--you're really pushing it, now.  I can respect the Packers...but I don't have to like them.  Actually...when I was a kid...I felt sorry for the Packers because they were so bad.  I always rooted for them when they weren't playing the Vikings...but, I haven't rooted for them for awhile, now.

My wife likes the complex taste and elements of Windsor...wait...

Yes--this is my favorite time of the football season.  I like the playoff games better than the Super Bowl.  And Andrew Luck is very good...if his receivers could hang onto the ball, this would be a blowout.

I am very glad you figured out your rear view mirror, tomwhite...those things are tricky.

I did a 6 mile run on the treadmill...it's cold and windy.

Okay--that's it.  I need to get something else done, today...whatever that might be.  See ya!

Oh--hey--happy birthday, Dave!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Afternoon run with running buddy in very humid and 50 degree temps with windy conditions. We ended up dong 9.1 miles on very muddy towpath in 1:18:15.  Both of us started with windbreakers, but by end both finished without them due to humidity.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

wildchild

Carolyn

It's 29F and windy here, and not very pleasant out, but I managed 7 miles.  I'm  behind the pace bunny, but I figure as long as I run more than 5.5 miles a day, I'll catch up eventually!

Happy Birthday, Dave!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.