Masters Running

West Coast Monday, 01-12-15 (Read 40 times)

Am I really starting the daily???

Holly - That hairdo looks like a pain in the you-know-what.  Good luck, and yes, let us know how it turns out.  . . . . unless, of course, all of your daughter's hair falls out, then you may not want to share.

Great pic of the nieces and nephews, Nancy!  Happy to hear your Pappa is doing better and that you had a wonderful time.

Group runs - I'm still "stinging" from the one I tried to participate in on New Years Day.  I see the same lady who got that one together asking about folks wanting to get together and run, but at least now she's saying what pace she intends to run, which is entirely out of my league.

I didn't get much sleep after 1:30, so I, too, turned off the alarm and finally dragged myself out of bed at 6:00.  Will get in my ST/core workout tonight.

The Hub is fighting the crud that's going around - bad chest congestion, coughing a ton of crap up, and generally feeling terrible.  Thankfully, he decided to not work today and stayed home and in bed.  Keeping my fingers crossed I don't come down with it, but we already have had one person here at work get it, so I anticipate it making the rounds.  If I do get it, please let it be before I go on my trip in 5 weeks!

Have a good week, peeps ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

i'm shocked that not only did a westie start the daily, but the 2nd post is also from a westie! Lets call it the Leslie and Tammy show. 

Although I'm sure we won't be picked up for a 2nd season Leslie. 

Nancy, welcome back home and I'm glad you had a good visit with family that your father is doing better.   by the way, my Coach is my son 

Rest day for me. just stretching/core tonight. i'm a bit torn on what to do about the ribbon from Saturday's race. I received a 2nd place ribbon, but later found out I actually got 1st. A ribbon is really sort of a superficial thing so I'm leaning towards just letting it go (and really the fact that I got 1/6 with a time of 28:27 means I really cherry-picked that one anyways), yet David thinks I should request my 1st place ribbon. I think ribbons are more important to kids.

Tammy

evanflein

And the Westie Women continue!

Leslie, I hope you don't get that crud. My DH had it over Christmas break and it's no fun. I've so far managed to avoid it so hoping it misses me completely. And yes, running groups should always make clear the intended pace, or make sure there's someone to run with everyone. Otherwise, it's not much of a group run is it?

Tammy, we have a local race that gives out ribbons. Kinda silly, really. The little kids love them, but they do it for the grownups too. I never know what to do with mine. I admit they find their way to the trash pretty soon.

Another nice day on tap here, although we have snow flurries. I'll get out for a run later, but compounded by the fact DH has "that game" he wants to watch and it starts at 4:30, and he can't watch it at his office. Rats.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - That hairdo looks like a pain in the you-know-what.  Good luck, and yes, let us know how it turns out.  . . . . unless, of course, all of your daughter's hair falls out, then you may not want to share.

Ok, her hair didn't fall out, but she is not satisfied with it.  She says she doesn't hate it, but it didn't turn out exactly as she had pictured it.  Basically, I erred on the side of being too careful, so the change is not dramatic enough.  Oh well, I tried.  I expect we'll take her somewhere to let a professional give it a shot, though I shudder at what it might cost.

Nancy - Great pic!  And I am so happy to hear your papa is doing better.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core and stretching.  I have a New Year resolution to try to stretch more often, even if it's only for a couple minutes.  I feel like I'm turning into the Tin Man.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Mid Coast Report:

I broke down on Saturday and bought a 2 month Gym membership.

Just tired of trying to run on crappy streets, unshoveld sidewalks, blac ice and double digit sub zero temps. First treadmill run in a very long time this morning. I now remember how much i disliked treadmills...but I did get a good workout in.

C-R

Holly - she's a teen. You were never going to win on that one.

I get ya Slo. That tm in the basement is a life saver. Sleet and ice all over here today so it was used again. On the upside Slo, you can catch up on your Netflix shows.

Traveling the next two weeks. It will be a challenge to keep up in here and on the roads.

Back to the grind.

Stay warm and safe everyone.

Oh - great pics last few days.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and Good Monday!

i like the Leslie and Tammy Show.  <applause, applause>

Y'all are inspiring how you maintain in the winter--even buying a gym membership is keeping on, keeping on.  We're enjoying the reverse,  i.e., I got to sleep in Saturday and not start my long run until 9 am.  Felt downright lazy.

Greta games, indeed.  The only one I didn't stay with was the Seattle one, even tho I did sleep in a bit, it still got too late.  One of the guys I work with is a very very devoted Patriots fan.  He and his wife are expecting, so I asked him if they might name the baby Julian.  Got a huge, sunshiney grin from him for that!

I am sorry for my Bronco fan friends (lots of Rapid City folks).  The Luck-Brady match-up will be interesting.

Good idea, Holly-- I try and stir in tart cherries, nuts, and chocoate chips in every batch I make, no matter what else I use!

Reading Meg Wolitzer's The Interestings.  It is much better than it sounded a year or so ago when I heard some interviews with her about it.  Instead of a linear novel about a group of folks who were 15 and 16 in 1974, it goes back and forth, looking at how their early experiences shaped them as adults.  Very fine writing.

Well, I am tortoise-like these days, but at least I'm moving forward.  6.2 this morning.

My next door cubby-mate at work is a transplanted Ohioan.  Needless to say, he's a might bit jumped up today!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Anyone else remember when Holly's DD was just  little kid? Now she's going for "grown-up" hairstyles and all that stuff. Time does fly!

And as a Detroiter, I can't tell you how much it breaks my heart to see Dallas losing based on a reversed ref's call...

A few inches of fresh snow this morning so I opted for my regular spinning session and got a good workout that way. A lot of it is melting now, but tomorrow morning it will be near zero so it looks like the TM once again.

I have a fitness evaluation scheduled for Friday at a local hospital that includes the usual TM stress test. I wish that I could have gotten in for this when I first thought of it last November, when I was pretty much at my peak fitness level for the year. But just before I went to call them, the newspaper did a story about what a great program this is for the money ($300) and when I called them the next day they were already booked up for a few months. So now I'm going in after having slipped quite a bit in frequency and intensity of my aerobic activities. Oh well, we'll have to see how it goes.

Have a good week everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Just checked into my hotel here in Grand Rapids, MI where I will be working through Friday.  Ran slow 3 this morning and taking the week off from running until I get my legs and motivation back. Horrors!   Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

You betcha!

And as a Detroiter, I can't tell you how much it breaks my heart to see Dallas losing based on a reversed ref's call...

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Go Westie Women!

Still keeping to my Mon/Thurs/Sat schedule with LW, just not getting over here to say "hey" and post. Today's walk/run with LW to my run happened to coincide with a rain to sleet transition. I wasn't really aware of this until I hit some brick pavement - my right foot went out and somehow without thinking, my left foot caught up, and I went into a skiers crouch. Not sure how i stayed vertical, but I did. After that i stayed on pavement and avoided brickwork.

Amy - what do you add tart cherries, nuts, and chocolate chips to? and I am sure you meant "tortoise-like" in the kindest possible way

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nancy - glad your trip worked out and papa pilo is hanging in there.  I guess we know he’s a tough cookie since he’s your dad.  Hope to meet him up here sometime, if possible.
                          football - they had the national women’s ekiden on tv for the three hours over here in Japan and the New Year’s sumo tournament runs for two hours a day too so I’m getting my football information from the posts herein and and was glad for the Packers (though the Seahawks would have liked another chance at Dallas). Now if econo would come back to post something about Oregon/Ohio State. , which I hate anyway ever since I was in Michigan, beat Oregon but, at least, the Packers did better so I’ll be keeping my eye.  In the meantime, Jeanne and Tammy are my new favorite sportscasters.
                          As I told my Bronco’s fan sister in Deadwood (next to Amy’s Rapid City) before last year’s superbowl when, like Aaron Rodgers this year, Peyton Manning was universally acknowledged as leagues’ best quarterback, “at least I hope it isn’t a blowout.”  Fortunately, when it was, it was in our favor. 
                          After that, it wouldn’t get much better than to beat the Packers and then the Patriots this year (sorry henrun).  We can always dream as we did last year when it came true. No matter what, it’s a thrill finally being in the same league with the great teams of all my life.

Now if only econo could be the one to report on how Oregon fared.  I love holly but, having been a michigander in the bo-Schembechler/Woody Hayes days, I don’t know if I’d like it she got to do it. .

running (yep, I'm going to go running)

I must be training for another try at a 100-miler or something as I went 40 straight hours of work after arriving and barely survived Monday’s prolonged meeting before today’s continuation.  Fortunately, a break tomorrow (Wednesday) will be just in time for the weekly mid-week marathon the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club has every Wednesday.  When I called the RD about it, he said it was getting too cold for him to have wanted to don tights, gloves, etc. to run but that, since I was coming, he might as well walk it with me too. Guess my reputation’s getting solidified over here as well.
                          ps - still working on a possible reunion run with MikeMP, or walk, or maybe a restaurant break I seem to be getting to like even more than running,
                          sumo

pps to sports casters jeanne/tammy - after never seeing a female face on the sumo broadcasts even since I first came to japan in 1966, they now not only have, for the first time, a somewhat staid gal chiming in in the sports booth but, instead of having to listen to the wrestlers’ grunts and wheezingly uninformative “ganbarimashita’s” in post-match interviews, a looker down at ringside has elicited the first substantive comments as they pour out their feelings to her gushing adoration about pushing a grand champion out of the ring for the first time while the commentator upstairs is adding information on who’s married or single, who they’re related too and even how tight are some of their bared butts.  Oh Japan, what is becoming of you.

ppps roch - you’re not supposed to be in prime shape for your check-ups or they’ll think you’re okay.
                          pppps leslie - it’s just that I’ve survived 70 years without ever having dreamed of sheets becoming a topic of such interest that I just assumed you were in them too.

ppppps - why is it whenever I check in here, you guys all seem to be doing all your running in the middle of the night this winter.  Not only that, it’s still yesterday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Nancy, loved those family photos and glad your father is better.

Looks like I'm at odds with the westies and the Midwesties. I'll be cheering for the Pats and Ohio State ( my grandson is a freshman at Ohio).

Did a mini tri today. Got in a couple of miles before the rains started ( I'm with Twocat re running in the rain), followed by yoga and a short swim at the Y. Great cross training.

Mariposai

First day at work after a vacation is always hard, but I am managing to stay on top of my jet lag.  4 miles during lunch today in 40f weather and sunny. Hahah, I always wanted to post a lunch hour run like Tamster and others  and now I can.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

4 miles here as well after work, doing a sort of progression/interval run, 1/4 mile each alternating fast and slow but bumping the speed up one notch with each interval, then dropping it back to one higher than the previous recovery lap.  Ended 1 mph higher than started.  Not real speedy, but at this stage, I'll take it.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!