Masters Running

Friday, 2.6.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Speaking of fat-tire bikes, hers is an electric version that has a great price, but that price apparently goes up after today: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storm-electric-bike

There is more snow in the forecast for this weekend, starting Saturday night and going through Monday night. It looks like we'll get at least a foot, and possibly closer to 20". Although we hate to do it, DW and I decided to cancel our "Wacky Winter Party" that was scheduled for Sunday - we just don't want to put our friends at risk. This is the second time that snow has forced us to cancel the party.

It was easy to get a MMTD day today: 5.6 miles in 2F temps (-1 WC). We've still got some snow and frozen slush on the roads so, even with my Yaks, it felt like I was working twice as hard. I don't mind the temps so much, but clear roads would be a real treat. Racewalking training tomorrow morning, so we'll be on an indoor track which I expect will be free of snow...

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning, Jay and all who follow ~

Great pic of Marj and Henry yesterday.

I echo Holly on the whole "only -7" thing.  Dang . . .

Never knew that calling a guy "cute" was a bad thing.

POURING rain and wind here, and it's supposed to get worse over the next few hours.  Shorty can't work, so he's home manning the sump pump.  A look at the map shows that The Tamster is getting the same soaking.  California needs it!  I do wish it was colder, though (sorry all those of you in the snow), because with it this warm, we aren't going to get the snow pack we also desperately need.

And so much for my optimism for running after work.  I even brought all my stuff with me!  Alas, we're supposed to go get our passport photos taken.  Since we've been putting it off, we have to get this done.  So it looks like I'll be doing Thursday's hill workout during my LR tomorrow and make up the missing 6 miles on Sunday.  You snooze you lose, right?

Have a great weekend ~~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

some parts here are already flooding. And with heavy gusts coming later today and tomorrow and the ground as saturated as it is, we are fully anticipating downed trees, power outages etc.

tomorrow will be a great day for a 5K, dontcha think?  

An acquaintance of David's committed suicide on Tuesday. Not really a close friend per se, but they had a class together and associated together in that class. But at a small highschool you pretty much know everyone and even if it wasn't someone in your grade or someone you socialized with, it still rocks your world. He's never had to deal with anything this tragic before, and sadly, he'll probably lose at least one more friend over the next few yrs - either via drugs, car wreck, suicide.

Tammy

evanflein

Oh Tammy, that's so sad. My heart goes out to his family as they must be just devastated. And yes, unfortunately, David will probably experience this or something like it again before he's out of high school.

Rain on the West coast, snow on the East coast. We're still just socked in with cold. It was -38° this morning. And re: the "only -7" comment. After a couple weeks of -20 to -45, yes a minus single digit looks pretty appealing. Of course, when we first felt minus anything it felt really cold. As a friend of my dad's always said "It sure feels a lot better on the way up than on the way down!"

Might run 3 easy miles tonight after work. I have an eye exam late this afternoon so it feels like I'm getting off work early. And it's Friday. And it's payday! Yay! Funny how it takes having an eye dr. appointment to get me out of here before 5 and it feels like I'm getting away with something.

Dave59

Ran 3 during an early lunch today.  Felt very sluggish.  Low biorhythms I guess.

Playing with the cat last night she really bit me hard in the palm of my hand.  Probably get infected and kill me. That has been this cat's goal all her life.

Playing with the cat last night she really bit me hard in the palm of my hand.  Probably get infected and kill me. That has been this cat's goal all her life.

Don't touch her "there" anymore.  She doesn't like it.    Seriously, though, hope you cleaned it out really well 'cause cat bites can be nasty buggers.

Tammy - My prayers to the family who lost their child in such an incomprehensible way.  I was the kind of kid who really struggled in my teens, especially 7th through 10th grade.  In high school, I spent a lot of time with the counselor, just to spend time with him.  He was a wonderful man who I loved dearly, and I'd say he's pretty much the reason I made it through, although I doubt even he knew the extent of my struggles.  I think "signs" with teens are very hard to recognize because It's "you now, the teen years."  My prayer is that with this loss, maybe someone else's life will be saved.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - how awful!  What a tragedy....

On sort of a similar note, one of my coworkers got called out of work yesterday and all we knew was that her husband was in ICU - no idea why.  Then today we get word that he died this morning.  She is only about 40, and already lost her teenaged daughter to cancer several years ago.  I really feel for her.

I did some internet research and diagnosed my knee problem with pes anserine bursitis.  (I'm not a doctor but play one at my desk.)   I then looked up how Kinesio tape for this and what a difference!  I was able to run today with almost no pain at all, and now, many hours later, am still okay.  I have really become a believer in Kinesio tape.

11 miles for me today in 16 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A number of years ago, the bursa sac in one of Shorty's hips became inflamed.  The pain was so bad, he was off work for about 2 weeks, part of that basically lying down 'cause he couldn't sit comfortably or even walk, and did some PT therapy.  Hasn't had it since, but man, I feel for you Holly.  Glad you found a way to tape it to help.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP losing a child like that must be crushing.  My sympathies to all involved.  As for your DS's other friend, you never know.  Some kids all of a sudden straighten out.  Hopefully, this one will.

Yes, the thing we need in New England more than anything at this point is more snow and if at all possible really frigid temperatures.  Fortunately, nature got to work on the latter this morning.  It was 3° out.    On the plus side since I ran yesterday today was an elliptical day no matter what.  In more good news, we are supposed to get some additional snow on Saturday and then a wintery mix on Sunday!  Oh joy!  With some luck the roads will be really slick for my Monday commute.  Where are those tickets to Florida . . . 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya all!

Tammy, just echoing what's been said about the young man who committed suicide.  I was just reading about a 19 year old young woman who did the same in her freshman year at UPenn.  I think it was recently the year anniversary of her death, and her parents were hoping to bring awareness to others.  She was a super student, cute, ran track, just seemed to have it all going for her and then found college harder than she'd expected.  So tragic.

Dave, listen to Leslie.

Speaking of kitties, since adding litterbox 2, no problems with my ladies.  (Simon is so jealous of them; dive bombing them is his latest.   They really are ladies, to put up with him.)

Speaking of birds (I was).....

Um, Pacific NW folks! So how come I have to hear about the runner-attacking owl in Salem from Rachel??   What's the skinny on the bird?

Holly, I've been using KT tape on my ankle--is Kinesiotape similar do you know?

Ran with the Speedsters for a bit last night--being prudent, I started out on my own from the opposite direction so I'd go slow, then met up with them around mile 3 and ran the last 3 with them.  Been missing that.  Then got to Lakes Park this morning, hitting my old haunts.  Love it, just so good x3!

Lot of local runners are off doing the Ragnar Miami to the Keys 100 this weekend, then there's a new half up in Sarasota.  Just some local 5Ks maybe for me and some more miles (while I listen to Scott Saturday.  He's got a piece on Eugene Levy).  Ft. Lauderdale Marathon next weekend, I hope!

Happy Friday and hope it stops snowing and warms up for you.  It's a shame to have to cancel a winter party due to snow.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I was able to run today with almost no pain at all, and now, many hours later, am still okay.  I have really become a believer in Kinesio tape.

How do you apply it to your whole body?   This getting old thing ain't for sissies. It's been a week since I fell and I still hurt all over!

So sorry for David and his classmates Tammy. Suicide is a horrible thing and devastating for those who are left behind to figure out why it happened. My niece committed suicide 3 years ago. My sister still grieves and thinks a lot about "what if" and "how did I not see this".  I hope the family has a lot of support and can recover.

The whole country is in a rotten weather period. Rain out west, snow out east, and cold in the middle. That's your biorhythm problem Dave. We're going to get through this.

Up at 3:30 this morning for work and then did 45 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes of core. DH was kind enough to pass his cold on to me and I feel pretty carpy. Speaking of cats, I see a catnap in my future. The grandboys are coming over tonight while their parents go out for dinner and I'm going to need every ounce of energy I can muster!

Have a great evening everyone.

evanflein

It's a shame to have to cancel a winter party due to snow.

I was thinking the same thing....

I was thinking about the weekend and what all I was going to get done (it's going to be a cold one!) and I get an e-mail showing the itinerary my mom just sent me. She and Dad are going to Hilo for two weeks leaving tomorrow! Waaahh! I tell ya, that's what the real Alaskans do when the cold drags on. Pack up and head to Hawaii!

Pack up and head to Hawaii!

Psst - I'm going there on the 19th for about 9 days.  YEE HAA!!!!  . . . . I'm so excited.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

thanks for the condolences everyone. I appreciate the thoughts, prayers and supportive words. 

I didn't quite make it home in time to avoid the flooding. the road leading to our house off the highway is flooded over. my DH 4x4 barely makes it through. my passenger never could. So I turned around and drove 5 miles and parked it at a church lot until the water recedes, which might  be a few days. lots of flooding devastation already. here's the end of our road coming off the highway.  I'm about 3/4 mile up a hill, so once we get up here, it's totally fine, but down along the highway, the "creek" that parallels the road is a raging river that is beginning to crest over the highway.

Tammy

Mariposai

The same water that came down at Tamster's place also came down at our place causing bad erosion on the Carlton Complex fire area.

We are having some warm weather around here, but we really need snow at this point for the sake of our land.

I did managed to run 18 miles today in the afternoon. Felt great, but amazingly slow Smile. It was raining the whole time, but I was happy to be running out in the wild.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard