Masters Running

South Pasadena Tiger Run 5K (Read 226 times)

huskydon

Short Version: Hoped to score a PR but fell ten seconds short. But I felt better after claiming second place in my age group. Still, I think I will stick to the longer races because those don’t hurt so much. The sore foot that had bothered me for the last couple weeks behaved itself. Long Version: The South Pasadena Tiger Run is a community race put on to benefit the local high school’s booster club. It is decidedly low key and low budget. But it has a very friendly neighborhood feel to it. I ran the race two years ago in 24:21. There is also a 10K run. With my running drawer stuffed to the gills with t-shirts I decided to forego the shirt and register for the rock bottom price of $15. I kind of regretted it when I saw the bright orange long sleeve shirts being handed out. You just can’t beat a bright orange shirt when it comes to being seen. This was my annual 5K, and I was expecting to run about the same as last year’s 5K at Chapman University (23:19, 7:30/ mi). I had a sore foot the past couple weeks, so my mileage is way down, and then when it started getting better, I probably ran too many fast miles on the track, trying to get back into prime 5K shape. The course is flat and fast, and the conditions were excellent, about 50 degrees and clear. One nicety is that you finish on the high school track. I worked pretty hard during the first mile but the time (7:28) didn’t seem to reflect the effort. The second mile was pretty good (7:22, faster than I expected), but after that, I didn’t feel strong at all. The third mile was in 7:51, and the final tenth was in 0:47 (7:23/ mi pace, hard to believe, maybe it was short?) and it felt like I was really dragging. My stomach felt awful (again). I finished in 23:29 and was disappointed because I had bettered my PR’s in 2008 for the 10K, 10 mile, and half marathon distances and was looking to do the same in the 5K. It would have been my “grand slam.” But I guess I could find another 5K if I really wanted to. I happened to check to see where I finished and was quite surprised to see I was second in my AG. In past years, my time would have been good for 4th or 5th or something in that neighborhood. I guess this year the faster runners were running the 10K or out shopping. So, that was cool. In keeping with the low budget nature of the race, the prize was an acrylic picture frame with a card saying “second place finisher male 50-54 age group.” They took pictures of all the winners and will post them on their web site where we can print them and complete our “trophy.” I thought it was clever. After the race, I had a long coughing fit, like I did after the last two 5K’s I ran. I think I will stick to the 10K’s and half marathons, where it seems like my legs are the limiting factor. In the 5K, it seems like it is my lungs and stomach which prevent me from going faster. Anyhow, quite a few words about a short race. Thanks for reading. huskydon
    wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like a good effort, and congrats on the 2nd in AG. I like the picture frame prize where you can put your race photo! Great that you have 2008 PRs at several other distances - even if you don't get one in the 5K, that's still a pretty good year, I'd say.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice job, husky. Coming off an injury you got 2nd in AG and only 10 seconds from a PR. With several other PRs this year, you have done well. Congratulations. TomS

#artbydmcbride

Smile Great job anyway huskydon. I am sure you have a 5k PR fighting to come out. There are a few races you can do; Make Room for Santa and/or Rose Bowl 5k at 8:00 am and Manhatten Beach 5K at 5:00 pm both on Dec. 13. Big grin

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

, I think I will stick to the longer races because those don’t hurt so much.
            - <>GreenRiverMarathon)>>> In the meantime, listen to the PR goddess and get the 5K PR.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Great race Husky, 2nd in AG! That 5k pr will come soon if you pursue it I am sure. Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Good work, Huskydon. Very nice time and 2nd in AG!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                coastwalker

Hi Husky, For only racing one 5K a year, you did quite well! That is especially so when you add in the sore foot that hampered your training in the last few weeks. Congrats on the AG award as well - the frame into which you can put your race photo is a cool idea. Any idea of what caused the stomach pain? If you don't think it is anything serious, or is something you can prevent, I would also jump right into another 5K. Chances are excellent that, as Ilene said, you've got a 5K PR in you that is just waiting to bust out. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

DickyG

Don... Like Jay said...it certainly sounds like your sore foot cost you a PR...no big deal. I think your overall time and AG award are a terrific accomplishment...sounds like you pushed yourself as well as you could. The coughing spell...I've had them before..if you can remember, mention it to your doctor during your next checkup...you might have a mild case of exercised induced asthma (sp?). If so, doc will prescribe an inhaler...one or two puffs before a run...that'll take care of it. Again...great job. DickyG