Masters Running

Sunday May 25 Runs - Top of the Morn'in to Everybody (Read 403 times)

Top of the morn'in to everybody! Your faithful runner reporting from Dublin today. Which means that I have a five hour head start on all the US runners and get to start the daily! Smile The goal today was 6 miles in the morning with DW and then 4 later on. We started on part I and my Garmin conked out. I must have left it on or something when I packed it. So all I really know is we ran for about 70 minutes which I guess is about 6 miles given her typical pace. We are off to tour today and when I get back the Garmin should be all set for the afternoon run. Good luck today Tall and all our other racers today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat - Have a Guiness for me... Up and ready to run. Stomach feeling better. If there are any early birds that want to see how I am doing this morning, the race is at 7am and you can track me by entering my bib #164 at this site. http://liveresults.sportstats.ca/s.php You will get my splits for 10K, half marathon and 30K Hopefully it will be over by 10:00 If I have a miracle (-: race and run sub 2:14 I could qualify for the Olympic Games in Beijing this summer as this race is the qualifying race for Canadian marathoners (Fat chance) Adios Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

top o the morning to you too two!! have a great race Tall - can't wait to hear all about it!! i'm heading out for the 5 mile run of the Boston Run to Remember - today's race is to honor fallen police officers!! i'm running the 5 with a few friends from work who know i might need to walk part of it depending on how my back is feeling and then some of our group is running the 1/2 marathon so we'll all meet up after anyway and head over to the Barking Crab for some fun!! hope i see Henry and Marj today!! Have a glorious Sunday all!!

denise

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good luck on the races Tall and Deez. Sounds like fun in Dunlin Twocat Tory and I ran 8.6 Magical Heang Miles of Hills in 1:23:17 (9:40 pace, AHR 141). It was IRC 51F!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Well, I followed up last night's run with 5 more mi this morning alone, without Renee. I wanted to run on the boardwalk, and it's one thing to run a dog up there in off-season, but just not right to do so in-season. In the first 1/2 mi, a cop yelled to me, "Weren't you running last night on the beach with your dog?" I said, "Yep." Can't get away with much around here, and it was nice of him last night not to hassle me for having my dog on the beach now that it is season. So I was thinking this morning how successful running is like successful investing. Patience, consistency, regrouping after a setback...Avoiding "get rich/get fast schemes"...So that's what bounced around my head today. Glad to have something other than my Mother's condition, construction details and the kids occupying my thoughts. More staining of my deck today. My 4 yr old has been helping. She's not bad at it, but it sure slows me down! Smile Best of luck to all racers!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Have fun in Dublin TwoCat. That one's on my list! Go get 'em Tall. See you in Beijing! The longest run since Eugene for me this morning. 10.5 easy miles at 9:14 pace, 32.2 for the week. The last 6.5 miles were sub-9. Felt slow, wasn't really. Avg. HR only 135. 74 degrees 91% humidity. (A lot of numbers in two lines, huh?) There is a church on my normal route that has the coldest drinking fountain. I always work things out so I'm running by there during the 2nd half of my longer runs. The local running clubbers always go by there too. I ran by on my run today and they have the water turned off. Their church school year ended this week and I suspect they shut it off for the summer. Bummer. I might have to call their church office and see if I can get it turned back on. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning everyone. The weather looks perfect here this morning and I hope that Tall has some of it up in Ottawa. I hope all of our racers find this good weather wherever they are. I greatly appreciate all of the concern and prayers for my brother. I will keep you updated as things progress. I did want to respond to Rindaroo's kind post yesterday. Some of this is a bit difficult for me to answer and I have not talked to my brother yet today. The fact we are 800 miles apart has allowed details to be a little hazy. My lack of knowledge on Diabetes also enters in. All of that being said, here is what I believe to be accurate: My brother has been diagnosed with the Diabetes for about 10 years. He is 63 years old now. Our father also had diabetes, diagnosed when he was about 65. Their cases are similar......adult diabetes that moved into the need to do insulin shots, which my brother has been doing. He has only been doing the shots for a little over a year. Up to that point it was diet and exercise, both of which I am not sure he has been as disciplined with as he should have been. The word he used to describe his foot was that they sensed no activity in that foot at all. He asked the examiner what they would do next and the response was that most likely they will try to either bypass the problem in the leg (assuming that is where the blockage is) or try to stent the problem. I felt that this indicated that they felt his foot could be saved. A big factor here is that my brother has a bent towards seeing things from the "half empty" perspective. That is often where I have been a help in his life. Yesterday on the phone he admitted to thinking the worst and I firmly but gently reminded him that until he KNOWS the medical facts and has gotten a second opinion, his thoughts are not only inaccurate but also detrimental to himself. We then went into a "how to handle these thoughts" conversation. I basically gave him "triggers" that he can use when the wrong thoughts pop into his head. Anyway, thanks for this information on options to losing the foot. I had THOUGHT similarly, but your good imput here simply gives me ammunition for how to advise them. Trust me....I WILL use this information Thanks again my friends. You are most encouraging and helpful. The special thanks here goes to you Rindaroo and also TomWhite.
                Vista
                  Good morning Boomers. I'm supposed to run a 4 mile race in a little over an hour, but it's thundering, dark and starting to rain. All I need is a little "lightening" to speed up my pace. This could be an interesting run! Vista, my dad had diabetes. Caused mostly by alcoholism and a really poor diet. He had to have a leg amputated in his late 60's. He's been gone over 15 years now, but I'll never forget what a wonderful attitude he had about the whole thing. Never felt sorry for himself and just kind of took each day for what it brought him. Good luck with your brother - I hope everything works out for him. Tall - go get 'em! Run a great race today. We're anxious to get the report. Twocat - isn't Ireland great?! We were there two years ago (southwest part of the country), and the people were so friendly and accomodating. Love the Guiness and lamb stew. Will you be getting to Belfast? Nice runs, Breger and Perch. Nonoruns, hope you get your staining project done. It's always an adventure when you have a four year old helping. Deez4boyz - good luck with your 5 miler today. Off to find my rain gear - enjoy your Sunday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                    Twocat and Tall, the talk of Dublin and Guiness reminds me of a good song by Reckless Kelly "Seven Nights in Ireland. "The laughing eyes of Ireland, sparklin' blue and green, with hair as black as Guiness stout and barely seventeen." Tall I'm gonna track you right now, unless your done already. Thanks for that link. Berger 91% humidity...I'm sweatin' already. Yesterday I crosstrained with my father in law. We replaced some siding on my house around the chimney. Climbing up on the roof, up and down ladders....he's 70 something and worked my butt (can I say that on the internet?) clean to the ground. I'm constantly amazed at the skills this guy has, and told him so again yesterday. He is da man! I"m sure he'll be peeking his head in the door for more of it today. I'll try to get 3 recoveries in today if I can get out the door soon enough. Good runs to all.....Halller, where is that report?
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, Twocat...time for a 405? Had a hard time getting up this morning and my old nemesis..left AT felt really sore. I think that all this pollen is also getting to me lately. I walked around a little and decided to run anyway. It felt better at the end of the run but I'm icing as a precaution. 10.16 miles of hills @ 9:14 pace with my HR lower than normal today. Good runs to all today

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tall is at 1:25:20 at the half. He is now at 2:00:58 at the 30 KM point. (18.6 miles)
                        Vista
                        Dave59

I thought about running a few miles this morning, but instead, I showered, shaved, dressed and started lounging around. Roll eyes What I'd like to do tomorrow is run down to the parade, cheer the service men and women and then run home. So I guess a rest day today is no problem. Vista. It's great how you can help your brother. I could use some tips someday on the "glass half empty" thinking. In fact, I actually have a glass that marks the "half empty"point.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Vista, I can tell from your posts that you're a positive person! When I was a teenager, I was a "half-empty" person. My sweet mother gently changed me, partly by her role modeling. She also bought me the book, "The Power of Positive Thinking," by Norman Vincent Peale. To be honest, I can't remember anything he wrote, but the fact that Mom thought I needed to read the book really struck me! So I resolved to start seeing the bright side of things, and life got much easier for me. Now my running partner laughs at me, because I'm always saying things like, "Well, the race starts on a hill, but at least it's halfway UP the hill - it could be worse!" So it is possible to change! Two of my kids are half-full types, and one is half-empty, so I need to help him like my mom did me. Guests for lunch today after church, so I'm going to run late this afternoon. I have to keep my resolve!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Hoping Tall did well out there today. Nonoruns – I spent most of my run thinking about paint colors for my family room and kitchen. Breger – Give them a call – it’s worth a try. Vista – sending thoughts and prayers out for your brother. My DH is diabetic; sadly he eats poorly and doesn’t exercise, counting on the medication to do all the work for him. Last night we had friends over to our new home for the first time. I served thinly-sliced, marinated, grilled London Broil over salad with hot crusty bread and goat cheese and red wine. Dessert was a frozen concoction of strawberries, Cool Whip, sweetened condensed milk and Oreo cookie crust (saw the recipe in the Sunday paper last week). A simple meal, but it was fabulous. Boy, did I overeat, but every now and then you have to let go and really enjoy a great meal. We sat on the deck as the sun went down and lit a fire in the chiminea. The kids toasted marshmallows and made s’mores, then ran around the backyard squealing in the dark while we enjoyed the lovely evening. It doesn’t get much better than that. Smile I have to share this marinade with you, because it turned out so delicious: ¼ c. soy sauce, ¼ c. Worcestershire, ¼ c. balsamic vinegar, 3-4 cloves garlic, and 1 tblspn. Emeril’s steak rub. Score the London Broil on both sides, marinade for 24 hours, and grill. Amazingly good. I was feeling the effects this morning of a little too much wine last night, so I wasn’t sure how far I would run, but although the first few miles were kind of queasy and clammy, after 4 miles I felt surprisingly good 10.2 comfortably-paced (ave 9:53) miles on a glorious sunshiny morning. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

8 beautiful miles in 1:20 a 10:00 pace w/ DW, I finished strong the last half mile because we had fallen 40 seconds behind our 10:00 pace. Off to the in-laws for the big holiday feast from the grill. Big grin Hired my neighbor to do the cookin' for 50 Cool It's too much work & would leave no time for the family. Perfect weather for it, Sunny 78F. Everyone enjoy this wonderful day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.