Masters Running

Running on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and National Thesaurus Day (Read 35 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

King County's new logoOur whole King County got rededicated to MLK in 1986

after 134 years for a former vice president so

Dr. King is our logo too plus boulevards, etc.

named after him.

if i was down there, I'd like to run the length of MLK Blvd

Maybe I will when I get back from a little southeast of erika-land

ps - thanks erika for the geography reminder
    Local radio says today is also “National Thesaurus Day.”

TRIVIA - what is another word for “thesaurus?”

hint: if any.

;

ps - for some reason, DD moved me to a bedroom still with screens on the windows.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

We've entered another deep freeze. -7 yesterday, -9 this morning. I managed to log 4.5 this am.

King of PhotoShop

Ten yesterday and the Saint did nine.  Today it was 2.2 on the dirt track for recovery.

So Jay was in Chester, NY the other day, home of the Hustling Hambletonians, and near my home town.  Lovely area out there in Orange County, NY.

Yes, bad weather in FL.  The inaugural "Shark Bite Half" was delayed due to high winds from nearby storms.  My former RP was 2nd AG.

We DVR'd "Mercy Street" to watch it tonight on PBS.  Anyone see the debut?  Spareribs

mrrun

TRIVIA - what is another word for “thesaurus?”

Roget

snow and spinouts on road, meant no grandkids today   now the sun is shining....

Roget

...I love it......

>>>>Question to Jay//........when I bring my elbows/arms back to make the Hip Swivel,

I am getting

some Lower Back Twinges that night,

What am I doing wrong??

==================

.....40 min ''RaceWalking''

in 3-degrees with windchill.......... (yeah, I never said I was Bright)

..........good Whatever it is you're Doing guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Book of Synonyms

28F

4 miles with Ralph and Leonidas. Poor Leonidas, he really is a 3 miles dog but we always make him run a little more. We do take short sniffing breaks for the hound.

MLK Day. I am reflecting on where we were and where we are. We have a ways to go. Race. It is a complicated topic for our country. I spent a year at William and Mary studying this.  I have some book-learning but, not the life experiences.  I wish MLK would not have been assassinated. I believe we would be in a better place.

Aamos, Did you see Auntie Em or Miss Gulch when the winds were blowing? I have always associated Florida with hurricanes and forgot about tornados.

It is going to be 16F tomorrow morning. Some of my running group has deemed below 20F as the lower limit. I wonder if I can sway them to run?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

We DVR'd "Mercy Street" to watch it tonight on PBS.  Anyone see the debut?  Spareribs

Last night wasn't the debut??  Dang it!

Tammy - We got that same storm through here yesterday, as I believe just about all of NorCal and SoOr did.  We ran our sump pump almost none stop for probably 8-9 hrs.  The ground around here is absolutely saturated.  I am SO happy we had good weather for running on Saturday. It would've sucked running in that downpour.

I, too, think it's hilarious Aamos takes her bird with her on trips.  I'm betting the cats are just a little jealous.

I'm curious about Jay's answer to TomW's question about race the arm swing.

Holly - A number of years ago when I and some friends attended a conference in Southern California, we stumbled upon a Peruvian restaurant in a strip mall.  The food was unbelievable.  I ate until I thought my gut was gonna bust.

And does anybody else find it hard to believe Posie Lady has never made Peruvian food???  Just sayin', 'cause she seems to be the master of cooking anything and everything, especially foods from other countries.

This a.m. it was well over an hour of core/ST with some foundation training.  I'm trying to make Mondays my big core/ST day, then do about 30-40 min on Wed and Fri.

Okay - It's a "star" holiday here at work, so the office is open and we have the option of not working, so long as there's enough staff to cover.  I always work the star holidays, 'cause when you do, it's added on to your vacation time.  So since I'm here, I guess I'd better get to it.

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi everyone!

I'm very sorry about the unpleasant weather so many people are dealing with, be it rain, wind, snow, cold, or any combination thereof. It looks like Slo got MMTD this morning.

Ribs, one of the hilly roads I was on yesterday was Hambletonian Road. It is a beautiful, rural area. I'll be back, in Rock Hill, for a hilly half marathon in mic-March.

I'm glad you were safe this morning, Marj - the roads were a bit slick for a while.

TW, the short answer is that I don't know what you are doing wrong. I wonder if you are over-rotating your hips, and that is causing the back twinges, or perhaps bringing your arms back too quickly and bringing them to too sharp a halt at the end of the back swing? The swing should all be one fluid motion. Try to back off a bit on how far back you are bringing your arms, or how aggressively you are swinging them and see if that makes a difference. Can you have someone shoot a video of you doing your racewalking thing and email it to me? I might be able to help more if I can see what is going on.

Good that you take care of Leonidas, RCG, even if you are stretching his limits. I saw a video on FB just a week or two ago of a teacher asking her (white) students if they see how black people are treated in their community. She then asked how many of the students would want to be treated like that - no one raised their hand. Yes, we have a ways to go.

SRD today. But there was also 2-3" of snow on the roads when I got up, which meant that I would get no traction at all if I ventured out for a workout. I couldn't get the snow blower started, so I had an hour's shoveling workout, and will do more when I head home for lunch.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

tet, it sounds like you are having a good time with your family.  Holly, congrats to your son on making the deans list.  fatozzig, neat about you reuniting the dogs with their owners.  Aamos, it's great you and Tara got together.  It's a sort of mini Charlevoix reunion.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, mari, deez, and evan.

Today should have been a running day but, when I got up it was 9° and windy.  The forecast was about the same for the whole day.  Our TM is broken and the new one hasn't arrived yet.  Also, I'm not as tough as Slo, so I didn't run.

A good day and good runs for all.

TpmS

Marathon Maniac #957

One of my DD's best friends is a black girl who was adopted by white parents, who also adopted another black girl who is a year younger.  I have had many conversations with the mom about various times when her daughters were treated differently because of color.  Some of you may remember that lovely NE lady who used to post here who had adopted a Chinese child, and she told of schoolchildren taunting her child on the playground.  We still have a ways to go.

No run for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core watching The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I so agree Holly and RCG - we have a very long way to go and that makes me so sad. You would think we would be so much better at this by now!!

Big workout day for me --One hour computraining session with killer intervals then changed and went to the gym. Thought about running outside but the temp was 24 and the wind was blowing like crazy -- just didnt feel like dealing with that today and really wanted to do some speed work. So treadmill workout it was -- 1 mile warmup, .5 mile pickups with .25 mile recovery x 6, did the pickups between 8:13 down to 8:00 pace, finished with .7 easy to take my total to 6.2 miles 

Continued a little longer at the gym with a few machines - glutes, back, chest then a good stretch!!

DH was called on to a job starting tonight - yep - nights for him .....yuck!! They wanted someone with a CDL license for some bucket truck work in the tunnel in Boston -- will be a break for him from the physical electrical work, but will be exhausting in its own way!!

Peace

denise

Thanks for the attagirls yesterday.  Smile  You'd think I'd be used to running in a downpour, but the rain here is mostly misty, gentle stuff.  I followed yesterday's heroic 2-miler (roll eyes) with a 2-mile downhill jog to work (with bonus points for carrying my backpack), and an e-bike ride home.  The e-bike eats up the hills (600' elevation gain in 2.3 miles), yet it nevertheless is still a nice workout.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!

I ran 5 miles around the 'hood today, in screw shoes, mostly sproinky except for the mile out to the end of my road that included a lot of post-holing in unplowed drifts!  But that felt like a really good core workout.

Yesterday I ran 10.5 trail miles in Evergreen, since I had to go grocery shopping anyway.  I used my microspikes, since some of the trail was clear and some was icy/snowy, so they seemed a better choice than screw shoes, which you're stuck with for the whole run.  But the microspikes put pressure on my big toes, so I might have to try them with a different pair of shoes.

No deep freeze here - it actually got above freezing yesterday and today!  Not by much - not enough to make the snow slushy or anything, but still a nice change.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

No deep freeze here, either! Although some of you might call it that. We're continuing our trend this winter of above normal temperatures. We're hovering around zero, maybe up to 10° in the daytime and down to -10° or so at night. "Normal" for this time of year is much, much colder than that so I'm not minding this very much. We are getting some wind these days though, and that usually means a new weather system is coming in and sure enough, looks like below zero all week ahead (but still not bad).

Today was clear and sunny with the moon bright in the afternoon sky. We have the moon up almost all the time it seems. Temps here at the house were low teens and 15-20 mph wind from the north that really got my attention. Legs kind of tired after doing this hilly route on Saturday and then again today, with that cold longish (only 12, but still) run yesterday. So, hills, ice and wind... still it was a good run, just had to stop and turn my back to the wind a few times to warm up a bit. 7.5 hilly icy miles today.

Then I went to the vet to pick up Abby. Poor kitty is still pretty wobbly and is hunkered down under DS1's bed (seems to be the feline hiding spot here). We got a steroid ear drop bottle for the next week, a few drops a day. That ought to be fun! What surprised me was the price... $45 for a tiny bottle of kitty ear drops! Oy...

Erika, hope Abby recovers quickly and is a good kitty when you sneak up on her with the drops. Ribs, I watched Mercy Street with DD last night and thought it was excellent.

I had the day off for MLK day too and did reflect on the many immigrants we have in this small town. With the pork plant in tow it is a magnet for  minorities to come here to work. I would guess that almost half of the students are not Caucasian. I have heard that there are 60 different dialects spoken in Worthington. I try to help the non English speaking customers to the best of my ability when they come to the utilities office, trying to imagine how I would cope in tier country trying to communicate. This columnist says it all so well...http://billkeitel.areavoices.com/2013/07/

We were in Wisconsin for the weekend for a great niece's wedding. It was cold there but we missed the -17 here in SW MN. We actually got back to the hotel in time to watch the Packer football game and even rooted for them. What an exciting game, oh my!  We brought exercise clothes but they didn't have an exercise room. Sunday we took a side trip to meet the newest GS, Brock. He is a sweetie.

It was 0 degrees this morning and I ran 1 mile on the track at the Y this morning to earn my first MMTD. 9 miles on the bike and some weights took about another hour. Last week I was the winning bid on a 10 session yoga certificate, a bargain at $35. I know the benefits of yoga, just have never liked it. The pain in my foot hinders some of the poses but I had a private session tonight. For some reason no one else was there. It is at a new studio in town and they have lots of interesting classes. TRX has ropes and straps hanging from the ceiling. I will have to work up to that one. Isn't there a bar out in Tet's neck of the woods with a trepeeze or some such thing? The Pink Door, maybe?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich