Masters Running

Wednesday 10/14 - National Chocolate Covered Insect Day (Read 30 times)

Dave59

Make sure to enjoy a snack today.

4.26 miles for me,

Now I will post this and then come back and see if I can add pictures.

Here is where I run now (most of the time).  Barboursville Park.

Starting point:

3 Random Spots:

Lake William (In Michigan the word Lake means something different than here.) - Watch out for duck poop

I should add that it is usually dark and/or foggy when I run here.  Today it was nice and I ran late so I took my phone/camera.

There are trails up in the hills that I have been on a little, and a 3.5 mile trail along the Guyandotte River that starts 0.2 miles from my home that I have run on a number of times.  The river trail has multiple points where you can access the park.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - what a lovely place to run!

No time for a run today, since I had to take my little Dexter-dog in early for surgery.  The doctor called me a little while ago to say Dexter came through fine, that they repaired his tendon and also a torn meniscus.  I should be able to pick up the little guy at 5pm.

30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...what a Gorgeous Spot........

============

..50s and sunny,,,,,,,,,

45-min HH walk with cane

signing up for Social Security Benefits this afternoon,

the whole time I was walking

I kept thinking ''Damn, am I as Old as that??''

.................good running guys....Dodder as Necessary, BUT KEEP ON TRUCKIN'........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Best wishes to Dexter and his rehab time in the cone of shame.

Nice spot, Dave.  Are you suggesting that Lake Michigan doesn't have a fountain?

6.3 miles by doing a double lake loop.  Felt like it took forever, but only an hour.  I kept thinking of the scene in "Blazing Saddles" where the posse comes over the hill, multiple times, without ever getting closer.  There was, however, no horse punching involved.

eta:  Hi TW.  I like doddering.  Is it slower than meandering?

Also, I did have a nice piece of dark chocoltae with sea salt caremel after lunch, but did not notice any insects (or parts)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow, what a photo - the insoles I mean.  I suppose that was one of those things: don't try anything new on race day?

La T - I wasn't sure of your Thanksgiving question.  Being 100% Canadian, and living in the States, I only celebrate American Thanksgiving.  That's because those are the days we get off work/school.  Not sure what I will do this year to celebrate, as I won't have my kids around.

I wish I had a run to report, but I've been lazy, and the darkness at 6 am is not helping much.  I wish I could just wake up half a mile into my run, and not have to deal with getting out of a warm bed to dress in the cold darkness and don a headlamp.  I wish the kids didn't always dump "emergencies" on me in the mornings.  So, maybe I need to switch to evening running instead?

Funny thing BE's surgeon said last week.  She was explaining how she had sutured off the ends of some blood vessels under his skin, in his fat layer, then said "not that he has any fat, but you know what I mean".  We watched a couple movies at the cabin - lazy weekend, it was great!  I forgot to bring my jogbra, so I ended up going for a VERY slow walk instead.  All good, except I'm getting fluffy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

eta:  Hi TW.  I like doddering.  Is it slower than meandering?

...when in Doubt, just Amble......

......got back from SS Office WHICH NOW CLOSES AT NOON ON WEDNESDAYS/////////

anything ELSE they forgot to tell me??

...........tomorrow I am going in, sing a couple of verses of Alice's Restaurant and walk out

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I don't like chocolate anyway but, if I'm lucky, maybe today's

lunchtime hot dog might count for some insect parts.

Nice summertime photos though, dave.

.....got back from SS Office WHICH NOW CLOSES AT NOON ON WEDNESDAYS/////////

UPOTD  (unbelievable post-of-the-day) TW - I haven't been over there since early summer but, after 35 minutes of waiting on the phone trying to get an appointment they recommend (but won't do by internet), I was about ready to go over to the Federal Buldinhg and take a number when you made me remember ours is too. whew.

ps enke - so sorry that you'll be missing the kids on Thanksgiving.

We can only hope you'll think of something to do.

If all else fails, . . . Seattle Quadzilla?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I ended up going for a VERY slow walk instead.  All good, except I'm getting fluffy.

I've seen pictures. You are NOT getting fluffy! And yes, it's getting really hard to swing these old legs over the side of the bed when the alarm goes off at 5:00 AM. But you just feel so much better starting your day with a run! 5 slow miles this morning in 38° temps. Darkness, stars and no wind. And the gloves came back out of the running stuff bin.

No insects or chocolate to report, but I did find this really cool app for my phone. It's called "Fooducate"  Does anyone else use it? You use your smart phone to scan the bar code on food and the app gives it a grade based on nutrition, ingredients, etc. After going through my pantry, I haven't found anything with higher than a B- rating. And lots of C- and D's! No wonder I can't lose weight and have no energy

Hey Dave - will you get snow in your new location? I can send you some if you don't.  Just so you don't experience winter withdrawal.

That's the government for ya, Tom.

Hope Dexter is doing okay Holly.

Today is grandson Will's 6th birthday. We're off to Chuck E Cheese to eat crappy pizza and spend too much money on Skeeball and other assorted games. But - isn't that what good grandparents do?

Have a great evening everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't like chocolate anyway but, if I'm lucky, maybe today's

lunchtime hot dog might count for some insect parts.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

...when in Doubt, just Amble......

Marathon Maniac #957

Dexter is good, resting comfortably with a favorite stuffed animal .  Anyone else have dogs that like to snuggle with a stuffed toy?  Dexter usually puts it into his mouth, sort of, or rests his chin on it, then goes to sleep.  Very cute.

Henrun

This has not been a good week for Texas teams (Astros TBD). Go Blue Jays!

Another post-race rest day

SteveP – thanks for the FB thumbs-up. This has been a tough year and a half, so a fun filled week-end with a race no less, was a real joy.

Such beautiful photos from Dave!

TomWhite - another Robert Crumb fan?

Enke – as 50% Canadian and living in the US – we celebrate in November as well

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Dave59 what no under or over passes?  What kind of place to run is that?

Jlynne see what happens if you scan a celery stalk.  

tomwhite you retired, they retired we all retired!  Hmm, hard to man the office then . . .  have to come up with a new plan.    I hope you manage to get in to see whoever you need to see with a minimal amount of additional aggravation.

My hip flexor feels pretty good these days.  Good enough that today I forgot I have been avoiding stairs.  It may be time to try a run once again.  Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be nice so . . . maybe.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It looks like you found a great place to run, Dave.  Hopefully, you haven't made any new friends, yet...

Ever since I started the Hanson's training plan, I look ahead and dread getting to the 10 mile tempo runs.  Tonight, was my last one!  The plan called for 6:40's and I did them in 6:37's.  Since it was my last tough workout before MCM, I was trying to be really careful about going to hard.  I was doing okay, until a bunch of kids came up on me on their bikes, thinking it was funny passing an old guy running down the street.  (I really don't know that they were actually thinking that, but that's what went into my head).  By the time I had put them well behind me, my pace had dropped to 6:22...I backed off real quick.  Anyway--with the warm up and cool down--I did 13 miles in 1:29:26.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!