Masters Running

City of Lomita Founder's Day 5k RR (Read 240 times)

I Can Go The Distance

HuskyDon has already reported on the 10k, so this is a report of the 5k. The Stats: Race Start Temp: Around 80F 5k time 25:37 (8:15/mi) Splits: 8:00, 8:24, 8:34, :38 AG: 4th (55-59) won a medal Overall 54th out of 225-250 The Details: I was hoping to run around 24 min in this race, but when I woke up at 4 am on Saturday and it was already 72F, I knew that was not to be. I took the bus to a point about 2.7 miles from the race and then ran/walked to the race for a warm-up (10 min run/5 min walk). When I got to the race I did some stretching and then met up with HuskyDon, Dromedary and her husband Lew. What great people they are! I hope we have the chance to run together again. Two members of my daily running group, Karen and her father Jerry, were also at the race. Don and Drom ran the 10k, the rest of us did the 5k. A number of people who had planned on the 10k did the 5k instead. I ran the first mile in 8:00. I felt fine except that my legs felt heavy because of the heat. At the mile two aide station, I drank some water and poured some over my head and it really helped. There was a slight incline just before mile three that on a normal day I would have sped up on, but again my legs would not allow it. I was able to put on a little kick near the end and finished strong. While I did not get the PR I was hoping for, it was still a good run considering the heat. Both our RA group and my daily group had a fine showing. Karen took 2nd in 50-54 AG, her father was 1st in 75-80 and I was 4th in my age group. Drom also won a medal, but I will let her tell you all about it in her RR. She also took some pictures of all of us. After the races we all stayed around for the medal cememony and got to know each other a little more, which was great fun. We all cheered each other when they called out our names for medals. I had planned on just getting a ride back to the bus stop, but Don was kind enough to drive me home. Thanks again Don. For a local race Lomita was well run. There was plenty of water during and after the race as well a food. Times were called out at each mile, which does not alway happen at small races. Except for the heat it was a great day! Big grin Thanks for reading Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

King of PhotoShop

Oh, am I going to give it to you, you sandbagger! Everybody go back and read this line: "I was able to put on a little kick near the end and finished strong." Bruce, you did the final tenth in 38 seconds! Well done my friend. As I said on today's daily, but for the heat, you would have had your 24. BTW, Dromedary and Lewis were guests at my house last year, and you couldn't have met two finer people. They are both musicians you know. And at one point in the evening Riblet played a couple of piano pieces for them, and they were so gracious and praiseworthy of his playing. He was so pumped up about it, and I was very proud of him. What a lovely couple. Also, I wanted to mention that I thought you handled this race week quite well, including your light work on Tuesday, but getting some strides in. That was good thinking. You old guys are tough! Spareribs
        Well run 5k Bruce. Next time out you will get that 24 I bet. But beware then 23 becomes just as important then 22 then 21 ............. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sound like a pretty good race for the heat. I know I certainly wouldn't be going very fast in that temperature. and an AG medal on top of it. better times aren't far away Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Wow, Bruce, you guys all cleaned up on the medals! It is amazing how that heat can slow you down... sort of like slow-mo running, eh? Good job on the 5k and I agree you'll get your sub-25 next time out. (aren't the social aspects of these events the best part??)
            wildchild

Carolyn

Great job, Bruce! I'm sure the heat slowed down the whole field, so even though you didn't PR, I bet no one else did either. How many guys were there in the 75-80 group that Karen's dad won? He sounds amazing. My dad's 79, and in pretty good shape, but he's not a runner. Hmmm, maybe I should talk him into at least walking a 5k... Can't wait to see the pictures!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HermosaBoy

Fast in hot Lomita! Can't even get an ocean breeze to blow and help cool you off. GREAT running!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

huskydon

Bruce, Again, it was a real pleasure to meet and chat with you. You are a good runner, and training well, so I expect you to break 24 next time out and then challenge 23 as well. Congrats on your first AG win!! The medal looks real good on you. I am sure we will meet up again. huskydon
                  Mariposai

and I was 4th in my age group. Bruce Bruce, being 4th in your age group is a reason for a huge celebration. Congrats on a fun and well ran race!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Hi Bruce, Congrats to you too for a very fine effort (and some AG hardware) in some extreme heat. It is hard to get the legs moving when the heat is enveloping you and there is no relief. But you toughed it out, and even found some gas in the tank for a right fast finish. Sounds like a nice get-together for some SoCal RA members and friends. Sometimes, meeting up with new and old friends is the best part of racing... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice racing and placing Bruce! The heat is a huge factor even when you know it's coming. You ran smart and strong and 24 minutes is no barrier is what I am thinking. On a better weather day, you'll be there. It sounds like you had a great time and met new friends. Congratulations Karin/CNYrunner
                          Bruce.... congrats on a great race and some AG hardware!! Being another So Cal runner I know it was a hot one on Saturday! I've met Don, Dromedary and Lew at a number of races and they're all wonderful people! Hopefully our paths will cross in an upcoming race and I can meet yet another RA Master runner! Jim
                            Nice job, BC. It's neat you got to be with husky. dromedary, and other friends. Congrats on a speedy race and AG award in the heat. TomS
                              hi Bruce, Lew and I enjoyed meeting you at the race. We think you did great considering the heat. Your age group was pretty tough and competitive so your AG medal is well earned. We look forward to seeing you at a local race soon again. Hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler at the July 4th Village Runner 5K. Smile
                                Great job Bruce!! Congratulations on a good race that was rewarded by the medal placement. You have some better times in you for sure. Thanks for the report. Joey
                                Vista