Masters Running

Monday January 5 back-to-work runs and stuff... (Read 481 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Where is everyone today? Mariposai – beautiful photos yesterday. Dg – poor Sadie.... Erika – enjoy your time in the sun. Tammy – I made that apple cinnamon cake this weekend and it is unbelievably good! But I don’t understand why it was in Cooking Light magazine – it’s not exactly what I would consider low-calorie. But then, who could possibly limit themselves to a sliver that is 1/12th of the cake? One bite and you’re hooked... No run for me today, light x-training instead, mostly core work and upper body. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hill Runner

Good morning Holly et all, I took my MP3 player on my run this morning...first time in a long time. I really enjoyed it! I was listening to Bob Seeger's Katmandu and forgot to stop at 10 today. 11.50 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace...drizzly, heavy fog glaring back into my eyes from the headlamp, Garmin on my wrist...I was fully wired up...Big grin Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning Holly and Peter. Nice run this morning, Peter. I've got some Bob Seger on my IPod as well. Holly - what is this apple cinnamon cake you're talking about, and is this a recipe I should try? I signed up for a half marathon last week and it feels good to have something to train for, even if it's not until May. I did intervals this morning - one mile warmup followed by 30 minutes of intervals on the dreadmill with the rest speed set at 6.3 and work speed at 7.3, two minutes of each. I finished with a mile cool-down and 3 minutes of Holly's inclined lunges. I'm ready to go lay down! Have a great day, everyone.
          6 miles of running in a giant Slurpee...8:30 pace
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
          Mariposai

5 easy miles on four inches on fresh snow plus one hour of snow shoveling as a XTRoll eyes I don't want to go to work today....I want to play more in the snow... Erika sistah...have fun in Florida!!!!!!!!! Jlynne, great workout. wonderful news about your Half Marathon in May...great time to start aiming at a race. Holly, are we going to keep the weekly non-weight-gain challenge? I hope so, that was helpful. Hi Tramps Twocats, keep up with the stretches three times a day...you will be amazed at the result after one week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Holly—I was here earlier but I couldn’t bring myself to start the thread. It just seemed wrong. Jeanne--Intervals on a Monday morning? Ouch. Gordon—what flavor? Mari—beautiful x-country pics yesterday on great groomed trails. I grew up in a small town with the nation’s oldest continuously running ski club (lots of Scandinavians in town) which maintained some trails just a couple of miles from my house. We got plenty of snow and I learned to love x-country. The rich kids skied downhill (at nearby resorts that cost $$) and the rest of us did x-country…for free. Those photos took me right back to those days! Started a cutback week with an easy 5.2 mile run @ 8:34 pace.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

6 miles of running in a giant Slurpee...8:30 pace
                That is a great way of putting it. Make that a Cola flavored Slurpee No runs or other workouts for me yet today. I had the alarm set for 4:15am with my swim gear set out but decided I had earned a morning off and stayed warmly snuggled next to my wife. I hoping to get a decent swim in after work followed by a quick 5 miler tonight. There is nothing on the schedule for activities tonight so I should have the time. Over the last several weeks I have been preparing for an upcoming 4 mile local race. I've been talking alot of smack so I need to make sure I can back my $h!t up! The stakes just got higher because I just found out that one of my competitors has been sandbagging on our public log. He hasn't fully disclosed all the miles or his actual pace.......That just tells me he must be scarred Wink (or I've been talking TO MUCH smack and now I'm due for a dose) Everyone have a Great Day Running !
                umwb

Good Morning everyoneSmileSmile I got up this morning logged in, and noticed that nobody had started the morning thread, so I got all excited about starting it until I remembered I had'nt run yet!! Sad Blush First day back at work, I walk into the electrical supply house and what do I see? A BIG box of doughnutsShockedShocked we're talking maple bars, apple fritters, chocolate twists.......I bought some supplies and ran out the door.. Have a great day !!
                  When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - Yes, indeed! Here’s the link to the recipe: Cinnamon-Apple Cake from Cooking Light http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222502 I used Golden Delicious apples instead of Rome, and this was melt-in-your-mouth good! I recommend it warm with vanilla ice cream. Mariposai – the final weigh-in on the 5-week challenge is this Thursday, but I agree that we should set new post-holiday goals at that point and start another session. Slo_Hand – sandbagging on a running log? Not very competitive, is he? Big grin UMWB - you mean you have to actually run to starth the thread? Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

TrampYes, we are so lucky to live in a place where we are surrounded by Xcountry trails. The places where we went this past weekend were free trails also, wll you need to purchase a snow park permit but that is all. My Dh and I were talking about having gone full circle with our skiing. First we Xcountry all the time, we were too poor to waste $$ on downhill...then we had kids, they wanted to downhill, so we learned to downhill. Being so closed to Canada, we have great hills there. We still do some downhill, but my heart is happies when I can Xcountry.... It is so wrong to have to be back to work.Black eye Holly, I agree...new goals would be good

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hi Back at work too.... feels wierd 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory this morning in 40:10 (10:02 pace). Ran in new shoes, shorts and tee in 55F...nice

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ran in new shoes, shorts and tee in 55F...nice It was -2F here this morning, we had an ice storm over the weekend and our driveway is still like an ice rink. I want some warm weather.Sad
                          wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Boomers, Happy Monday! Undecided I'm just getting around to posting yesterday's run: 3 miles with DD at the rec center indoor track. It only got up to 12 degrees yesterday and I just wasn't up for running outside on the big hills. Tramps, your hills look pretty big, from the graph you posted yesterday, but that elevation is so low! Is your low point really 20 ft? My hills are similar sized but the low point is 9200 ft! I thought my dogs would be bummed that I wasn't gonna take them running, but they looked pretty darn comfy sleeping on the window seat, so off I went to the rec center. This was DD's first time running 3 miles straight in her C25K program! I lapped her once at about 0.5 miles, but when I caught up to her the second time, she sped up and wouldn't let me by! I took one short break to take my shoes off ( I did half the run barefoot) and when I caught up to her, she wouldn't let me by again! I tried a couple of times but she sped up each time. So I just ran easy right behind her. Smile Avg pace about 9:45.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

Good Morning! Where is everyone today?
                              'nother rest day for me. Leg and back feels good. Why ruin it? Big grin In reality, it's just how my schedule laid out, and I've had my head buried in cookbooks all morning, planning my winter menus. My kids are now allowing me time in the kitchen to cook without endangering their lives or mine, and both my husband and I want to take advantage of this. Good runs and rests to all.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

good morning! Gordon... yuck! did you freeze your feet? Erika... "Amazing how I've finally figured out how to manage it after fighting it for so long...". What are you doing that is working? glad you get a few days to adjust. not like New York. S.h.Steve, when's your race? Jeanne, cool. Which half? speaking of those lunges... where's Mary? Holly. "I used Golden Delicious apples instead of Rome, and this was melt-in-your-mouth good! I recommend it warm with vanilla ice cream.". Stop it!!! oogly... narrow escape. I was still a little sore this morning & really didn't know what was best to do. I decided to go ahead & try a gentle workout & see what happened. I think it was a good choice. Smile. 2.57 miles at about a 10.34 pace, then 20 min. on the elliptical. This recovery run stuff is pretty cool. (thanks). I think I feel better than I did. Still will probably take it easy for a day or 2. Sunday was probably a mistake. I will try to make those less often. MTA, Carolyn, that's so nice to read about your DD! good for her. Nono... glad your legs & back seem ok. didn't remember it was your legs too..