Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 6/15/08 (Read 605 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's a last week's tally. Sorry I took so long...busy week...
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Twocat72.89 Lots of running, including a 5K
    CNYrunner62.5 Already ramping up for fall marathon.
    Ultrachick62 Nice 20-miler, lots of x-training.
    Perch61.8 Hardest 20-miler ever in the heat. Perch, that’s got to be a dangerous amount of water loss.
    Slojim50.1 Including a 5K.
    Hermosaboy49.6 Giving the legs a little recovery.
    Biketm49 With a 20+ miler in the heat! Happy 1000 miles!
    DfromBG48.742 miles of it hiking – sounds like so much fun!
    Slowgino48 Park trails have to be cooler, these days. I’m tempted to try that myself.
    BCMorant47 I love 7-milers, too.
    PeterNC43.3 As the temps get hotter.
    Holly43.05 Trying to throw in some faster paces.
    Breger41.35 Bill, I don’t even know if I could do 8 miles at MP right now – I was so impressed with that!
    Jim243154014 straight weekend races – whew! Time for some rest and recovery.
    The Jogger40 Hi Roy!
    Tetsujin31.3only a 5k and a marathon this week.
    Evenflein31.2 Lots of gardening and soccer.
    Pfriese19.6 Enjoy those grandsons, Paul.
    Here's my plan for this week. My first 5K of the season is on Saturday, but I have no hopes of a PR - my speed muscles need a couple more months of work, I think. Still, good to set a season baseline to work on improving from.
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday00 Rest day, due to emergency orthodontist appt for DS
    Tuesday8-9 7 Intervals on treadmill
    Wednesday7 8.45 Easy-frisky pace, with 2 @ MP
    Thursday5 6.6 Easy pace
    Friday00 Weights and abs
    Saturday10-12 7.7Included a 5K, flat tire changed my LR plans
    Sunday7 12 Easy Pace
    Total38-42 41.8

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi there Holly---goddess of the 40/40 thread. It will be great to see you next week! Here's the plan: 6/9----8 mile recovery run---8.6 sweaty recovery miles 6/10--off/early train to NYC---done 6/11--14 with 3x1 mile at 6:55 pace---14.55 with 3x 1.25 at 6:55 and 6:54 pace 6/12--10 easy---10 miles at 9:05 pace 6/13--8 with 8-10 strides---8.3 at 8:45 pace with some strides 6/14--10 including 10k race---10.2 miles including 10k in 43Tight lipped 6/15--14-16 easy and a Father's Day hike----17.6 in 8:54 pace--felt surprisingly strong, lost lots of sweat no hike....husband and son went fishing Total: 64--69 core, weights etc 3xweek
      evanflein

Hopefully I'll be able to get some good runs in before leaving for Hawaii on Saturday morning. I may not get much updated before I leave on Saturday...
        Day Plan Actual Comments
        Monday4 miles4 MilesTry out new shoes on the treadmill
        Tuesday6 miles6.6 milesEasy pace, MP, and 200m intervals
        Wednesday4 miles6.05 Miles8:26 avg pace, good pace up the hill to home
        Thursday6 miles6.85 milesIncl. 1.75 mile w/u, one mile race, 4.1 mile tempo run afterwards
        Friday8 miles9 milesNice run but too much headwind on the way back up the hill!
        SaturdayRest Day0 milesSpent on a plane...
        Sunday6 miles9.25 milesHawaii!
        Totals:34 Miles41.75 miles actual total
        Wow... I made 40 for the first time in seemingly forever! Smile
          Back from reverse taperville (hoooray). I see that Holly has maintained the threads, as always (double hooray and thanks) M--6.51. hilly, steamy trail run out of the sun, 1:01:04, 154/194 T-- W--6.84, 1:04:13; 136/154 TH- F--7.62, 1:08:00 S--9.56. 1:34:24, 144/171 S--had the girls for FD...lots of swimming (their favorite), no running 30.53 for the week
          HermosaBoy

DayPlanActualCommentary
            Sunday14.0 15.16 in 1:54:015 miles with the dog and then a nice 10 miler with KeeMan
            Monday AM3.25 3.27 in 25:43 Me and Rosie…
            PM5.0 5.05 in 38:50 Includes 8x100 hill repeats with 100 recovery
            Tuesday AM3.25 1.1 Stomach issues cut this short.
            PM11.00 12.3 Includes: 6x500 in 75 with 400 recovery 30 min Fartlek (4.54 miles) 4x100 with 100 recovery
            Wednesday AM3.25 3.27 in 26:12 Morning schlog with the dog
            PM9.5 7.5 in 55:30 First trip to the ski hill this year. Rainy and muddy, but fun.
            Thursday AM3.25 0 Decided an extra hour of sleep sounded good.
            PM11 8 in 55:25 Cut this one short -- was supposed to be 4x0.75 miles @ 5:45 then 12x300. Bagged it after the 3/4s cuz my head just wasn’t into it.
            Friday AM3.25 0 Sleepy sleepy
            PM4.05.05 in 35:36 Felt pretty good.
            Saturday127 in 46:16 Threw in a few up tempo miles. Cut distance short to cheer friends in a half Ironman – those athletes are amazing!!!
            Total83 67.7 A bit short of goal, but had good quality!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Thanks again for the thread, Holly. No special plan, just take it easy and keep the legs fresh for Saturday... Mon - 1.5 miles easier, 10.5 miles easy on park trails Tue - 1.5 miles easier, 5.5 miles easy Wed - 3 miles easier, 4.5 miles easy Thu - 1.5 miles easier, 3 miles easy Fri - off Sat - 0.25 miles easiest, 13.1 miles medium, 1.25 miles easier Sun - 1.5 miles easier, 5 miles easy Total - 52.1 miles "Plan" worked ok... legs felt great after Saturday's half.

Marathon Maniac #3309

DayPlanActualCommentary
                Sunday14.0
                Monday AM3.25
                PM5.0
                Tuesday AM3.25
                PM11.00
                Wednesday AM3.25
                PM9.5
                Thursday AM3.25
                PM11
                Friday AM3.25
                PM4.0
                Saturday12
                Total83
                Geez, and you gave me the Shocked Shocked Shocked on my long bike and running brick....you are a machine

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Holly, I will need a pass this week as I figure some things out, plus I need to bike and swim more with a few Tri's coming up. Thanks for all you do with the 40/40....it has really kept me motivated Smile Will definitely be back strong next week. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks Holly Smile This week...... Sun. 8 recovery Mon. 8.5 easy Tues. 10.5 med long Wed rest Thurs. 9 easy Fri. 14 long Total 50
                      Thanks for the props on the MP runs, Holly. But I don't want to run 8 of them, I want to run 26.2 of them. Gotta very long way to go to get there, if ever ...
                      DayPlanActualComments
                      MondayPlanned Rest Day0.0 milesDone!
                      Tuesday8 miles GA8.0 milesAt MP with 1 mile Tempo! 8:30ish overall (Garmin out of power)
                      Wednesday6 miles recovery6.05 milesEasy 9:35 min/mile pace. Avg HR 133
                      ThursdayPlanned Rest Day5 milesEasy 9 min/mile pace. Decided to forego the rest day
                      Friday9 miles with 8x100 striders9.25 miles9:14 pace with 2 hill repeats and 6x100m striders
                      Saturday6 miles easy5.5 milesTreadmill, 6.3 up to 7.5 miles per hour
                      Sunday12 miles easy14.5 milesEasy pace but tough run. It's done though ...
                      Totals:42ish48.3 milesMost weekly mileage since Eugene
                      Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

HermosaBoy

Geez, and you gave me the Shocked Shocked Shocked on my long bike and running brick....you are a machine
                        That's cuz if I was in the saddle that long you would have to surgically remove it. Shocked

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I Can Go The Distance

Thanks for keeping this thread going Holly. I am cutting back to 40 miles this week and next as I taper for two upcoming 5k races. Monday Rest Day Tuesday 6 miles w/8x400 m Wednesday 6 miles easy Thursday 6 miles w/3 mile tempo run Friday 6 miles easy Saturday 10.2 mi LR easy pace Sunday 6 miles easy Total 40.2 Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Great thread idea Holly where did you come up with it? Wink Amazing how many people are actually part of this thread. Go geezers!
                            DayPlanActualForecastReality
                            Monday1010.245x600m@5K
                            Tuesday56.06 Run with friends.
                            Wednesday1414.18 Run with TP.8.75 miles with TP. Rest solo. IRC!
                            Thursday00 Always a tough day!
                            Friday6.210.5910K race. May not run it since you need to show up over an hour early for late registration! DW came down ill so the race, an hour forty-five from home, was out. Decided to do a tempo run instead. 6.25miles@7:28.
                            Saturday186.23 Easy run with the local running club.
                            Sunday1018.196AM, 4PM
                            Total63.265.49

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

I'm still up in the PNW babysitting grandsons, enjoying their cool June temps, and running when I can.
                              DayMilesComment
                              Monday5.2 miles running - done 9:04/mile avg pace
                              Tuesday15.4 miles running - done 9:23/mile avg pace
                              Wednesday4.0 miles running - done 9:31/mile avg pace
                              Thursdayrest day - done
                              Friday14.3 miles running - done 9:19/mile avg pace
                              Saturdayrest day - done
                              Sundayrest day - done
                              Total38.9 miles running Done
                              Paul

Ultrachick

Thanks Holly for doing this! This helps keep me motivated to get the miles in-of course, having a few goal races helps as well...
                                DayPlanActualCommentary
                                Monday47.2 3m run/walk, 15 min abs class, 30 min strength class, 4m
                                Tuesday86 Trail run, 50 min circuit class
                                Wednesday10 106 on Rec path, 4 on trails
                                Thursday66Little speed work around a hay field tonight
                                Friday OffOffTook the day off, should have run since it was beautiful out
                                Saturday1211Busy day at soccer field and ran out of time to get it all in
                                Sunday2617.8What I didn't get in miles I got in time-6 hours to go up and over Mt Mansfield twice
                                Total6658
                                I'm a little disappointed I didn't make my planned miles but my long run (more of a speed hike, run where you can) was an out and back on the Long Trail going up Mt Mansfield to the Nose and running 4.5 miles down the Toll Rd and back. It rained last night so the trails were full of water and plenty slippery. We'll see how I do going downstairs tomorrow Big grin Kelly
                                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.