Masters Running

The middle hump of the month, 4.13.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sounds like a great time and a great race last weekend, Aamos. You're one of the few people I know who gets upset by being beat by a relay team in a race (people like me assume that will happen...). Great news that DH will be racing on Sunday! Will he be racewalking or running?

Good running, Enke. And, yes, that is pretty tall (no matter what Mike says - ).

Tet, there's no such thing as parking in NYC with more than just a few bare inches to spare.

Sorry about the swamp, Holly, but nice recovery run.

I'm sorry you're still DL'd, Henry. I hope the Ortho was some help.

I'm glad your knee is better, WC. Enjoy the rest of the trip!

I'm glad your quad is better, TW.

Good running, walking, traveling, visiting and napping, Tselbes.

I hope your leg is healed, TwoCat, so you can start running again.

Another tough 16, Mike. Keep up the good work, but don't overdo it and get sidelined. That would be bad.

Good workouts, Deeze, and good work at work. I hope you got some sleep last night.

Right on both counts, Steve:

New rule: stay off of the DL.

Aamos, you're simply a neat person.

I took Monday off as a SRD, and yesterday too because I was too dang tired after a late meeting on Monday evening. 7.6 RW miles this morning in 35F temps, under clear skies. I decided to follow my own advice to my racewalking group, and did some speed work by way of fartleks this morning. So I pretended to be fast every other mile, and averaged about 10:38 in those miles, and 11:20 overall. Now I'm going out for BWB, and then I have appointments and meetings the whole dang day. I thought things would slow down when someone else took over as Chair of our conservation commission. It hasn't happened yet, but I sure hope it does soon!

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I'm still here on Long Island. I've gotten up each morning and ran an easy 2 miles on the hotel treadmill.  Its better than nothing.

...mornin' guys//..........jay, I am absolutely Amazed at a 10:30 RaceWalking.......

talked to my CrazyBrother last night,

he is having

HeelSpurs and now Metatarsal Problems

our Hike

on the SawTooth Mountains

may have just turned into a TRAILBIKE Adventure on Boise's GreenWays!!!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_greenbelt

I don't know nothin' about Birthin' No Babies

nor

Riding No TrailBikes>>>>>>>>>any tips I can practice on??

also

If I'm flying home in a BodyCast do I get Preferred Seating???????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

tw: Butterfly McQueen!  (played Prissy in GWTW and uttered that line......oh oh, again revealing high level nerd quotient.   ooops.)

So Jay, not to lean on you too much, but if you are so inclined, DH, one of your biggest fans, is hoping to follow along with you at the 5K Sunday.  He is willing to jog parts as he realizes he won't be able to keep up with you if he strictly race walks, but just wants to see your form and observe the master.   So basically, to answer your question, his plan is to stalk you.    In a good way.

And y'all, I'm actually kind of an organized clutter sort of person, although I aspire to minimalism and hope to achieve it.

In addition to tapering, I slept a whole bunch last night.    Kinda going straight to this: Image result for sloth

So I'm reading a paperback novel, got to page 178 only to find the next page is 211.  A whole section got left out.  I am hoping the good people at Goodreads will come through with a quick summary for me.

Say, did any of you see a little article on FB about getting messages that FB filtered for you?  Evidently there's an automatic feature that works kind of like the spam filter on your regular email and pulls messages that start out "Hi, you don't know me....." etc.

Since I had some time at the airport, I looked into this and found a message from 4 years ago.

The message was from a young woman who used to go to the Senior Living Apt where my mom lived (the Hi-Rise, as it's called in Punxsy) to visit her grandmom when she was 6 or 7 about 30 years ago.  It was all about how my mom encouraged her in her school work and reading at a time when she felt sort of geeky.  She wanted to let me know she never forgot my mom and her support at a time when she needed it.

The sad thing is, she mentioned her grandmom, but didn't leave her name or any contact info.  Whatever FB identity she had is no longer in use.    I'm going to see if my cousins might be able to figure it out.  Kinda like a mystery story, no?

Whee, past noon here on the east coast!   Funny, running less has not resulted in a decrease in my appetite.  Going to go rustle up some soup.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...mornin' guys//..........jay, I am absolutely Amazed at a 10:30 RaceWalking.......

If I'm flying home in a BodyCast do I get Preferred Seating???????

I, too, am amazed by a 10:30 race walking place.  I'd be hard-pressed to keep up some days.

And yes, you get preferred seating when in a full body cast.   Something to look forward to.

I can't get caught up yet on everything I've been missing, but I'm guessing Aamos, once again, amazed all at a race.  When I grow up, I wanted to be like Aamos.

Today would've been my Pops' 75 birthday.  I really miss him.

I feel like between work at work, work at home, running, and trying to get ready for my dad's - I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. And trying to get up to speed on this new stuff at work - eye, yi, yi!  The associate I'm working with is coming at me from all directions - do we have this?  Can we do this?  Did this get to this person?  Aagh!  I'm still trying to figure out what all the frigging acronyms mean!  I wish I had the extra time to sit and try to get a good handle on it all, but I seriously don't have hardly an extra hour anywhere right now.  My poor Hub is probably feeling like work and running widower.

Although this morning he left me a really great card with lots of wonderful mushy stuff in it.  I sometimes take him and all he does and all he puts up with from me for granted, but I do love that man.

But - so far this week I've had a 6-mile steady paced run, and solid hour of core/ST, and this morning a 45-min solid stat bike workout.  I'm realizing that if I didn't do all this exercising, I'd probably be tearing my hair out by now.  Exercise = A Good Thing = Keeps Me from Killing People = Keeps Me Out of Jail = A Good Thing.

Later, peeps ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

'' Exercise = A Good Thing = Keeps Me from Killing People = Keeps Me Out of Jail = A Good Thing.''

....but I'm sure you'd get off early for Good Behaviour

=============

ok,

40-min PoolRun, no belt, closed fists, run in shallows

(which could be similair to Riding a TrailBike)

(if it were UnderWater)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Cracking up so had to share this.....under the category of, "it's a guy thing."

I think I mentioned I'm going home to run the Detroit marathon in the fall.  So today I get an email inviting me to vote on which Chevy will be on the medal.  Without even looking at the website, I forwarded it to the DH with my encouragement that he vote for me.  Not too much later, I get this response:

"Done!  I went with the modern look, not a nostalgia approach, tho' their cars from my yout' were quite compelling.  But they've done a good job with their recent cars, including the new Camaro we voted for, and since Detroit's comeback is an ongoing issue, I thought we should stay with current thinking.

Now if the cars they pictured had been blue instead of red, I might've gone with the 1963 Corvette, since I had a 1963 blue Corvette model.  I think that might've overwhelmed my reasoning -- but their picture was a red one instead.  So I could maintain my resolve.

Anyway, those were my considerations.  And I had a chance to look at some cool cars.  Thanks!"

It was right and good I gave him my vote.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It was right and good I gave him my vote.

There was definitely some depth of thought there.

First run around the lake in over a week and a half.  3.1 miles in 33°.  If I had realized it was that chilly I might have been tempted towards long pants.  One of my rules, however is "No long pants for running in April".  I will admit the gloves felt pretty good.  Was hoping there was a tiny bit of speed left for such a short distances and found a tiny bit--under 9 m/m.  By about 3 seconds.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Some tapir to go with your sloth, Amy.  Team RA Masters sign up work?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My first car was using grandpa's 1949 cream chevy sedan with extreme angled rear window so no one could see in in case there was anything to see which there never was was. I wish some of the all-night parkers I've encountered on early morning runs over the years would have had the same.

After a twocat because of yesterday afternoon's rains,

returned to what's becoming the normal 5-mile 'mute this morning.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

stumpy--

Not sure about the sign up, but I just sent the note around noon.  They're prolly wicked busy.  (website is "wicked fun running co.")

Tet - are you running those 5 commuting miles or cycling?  I believe you switched from the latter to the former, correct?  Pretty awesome!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

aamos, that's a neat FB note you got about your mother.  Mike, nice long run.

This morning, I got on the TM to run a mile in 11:11 and then walk 3 miles at a 13:43 pace.  This afternoon, I went outside and walked 2 more miles at a 13:24 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

coastwalker that thread title is going to make people wonder what is in the daily! Well that plus enkephalin's recent posts about her rendezvous with MBE.  Think of the kids people!

Another day without running. But I did clear over 200 emails from my inbox! That should count as exercise. Next I have to keep whittling down the supply of inbox emails that should be cleared out. I have a colleague who makes it a point not to leave his office until his email inbox is empty. Oh if only I had such self discipline! Then again compared to my DW I do. Her inbox has a few thousand old emails in it. Folders? She scoffs at filing emails into folders. Says searches work just as well. Maybe but I would have a nightmares if my inbox had 1,000+ emails in it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Umm...clear out emails?  Hmmm...interesting...

Well, I did 6 miles, then worked on that stupid plan for a little bit...now, it's bedtime.

That's it.  Gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - are you running those 5 commuting miles or cycling?  

thanks enks - I don't mind cycling in the rain buit I'm pretty much following two-cat's no-run-in-rain rule to take advantages of one of the benefits of being retired to not have to be at work in white shirt and tie at 8am every day and, especially since it’s my little office where, unless I have some meetings, nobody caring what I wear there except me, I can show up any time in the morning I like so, even though my running five miles takes more than an hour at a pace that’s slower than tselbs’ walking and more than three minutes off Coastwalker’s RW’ing, I’m really enjoying the run across the MI floating bridge and the extra half mile up through Daejong Sister City Park that avoids the rush hour traffic along Rainier Ave, etc., to say nothing of all the derelicts camped out along Dearborn who think I have nothing better to do than give them money for doing nothing.

ps - I’m delighted you got into the Portland Half Mary.

I look forward to meeting Mr. BE there too if it works out.

Does he (and maybe you this year) do the annual summertime

112-mile Cascade Cycle Club’s annual STP (Seattle-to-Portland)?

I did the regular, two day’er in 1994 and loved it so much I vowed

to do it every year but, sorry to say, it hasn’t happened yet. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)