Masters Running

Friday July 18 Runs and Grins (Read 634 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mariposai and Lyndenrunner – where are you running a relay next week? I don’t see it listed in the Intrepid Racers thread. Roch – I noticed your tentative mile yesterday. Any after effects? No run for me today (again) – light x-training instead: leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up, leg lifts w/o weights, face-down, shoulder presses, bent rows, superman lifts, push-ups, crunches and three 60-second wall-sits (hey, these are hard!). Is it okay for me to continue to have this stream of non-running posts while I’m on the DL? I understand now how some people choose to disappear while they are injured,..it feels a little awkward being here without running… Sad No sitter today, so DD is coming to work with me for the morning (I’m taking off at noon.) This will be a nice surprise for my boss. Roll eyes Tonight is DD’s first-ever sleepover with 2 of her little girlfriends. I’m taking them to the pool and then they’re going to camp out in her tent, which I will put up in the family room. Might be a late night. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly...it's tough not running but your core will be solid! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 37:44 (9:27, AHR 143)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Thanks for getting us started this morning Holly and of course you can continue to post while on the DL, you are still a very integral part of this forum and would be sorely missed if you took any serious time away. Smile Oh and have fun with your DD's sleep over! Well I finally sent my Garmin 305 back for a swap out. I was just having too many issues with it and the battery life was pretty much non-existent for long runs. And every now and then (more often than not when traveling to races) it would simply not even come on. So I had to dig through my stuff and locate my old Garmin 201 which I had ended up keeping (glad I did now). I charged the 201 up and used it on yesterdays run, allthough I'll have to do without the heart rate info for now. Things aren’t looking really good for tomorrow’s 5 mile road race weather wise…high temps and high humidity are being predicted for Saturday. Shocked Even though this is an 8:00 AM start, this course can be brutal when it is hot! Oh well we can’t control the weather can we, so I’ll just play it by ear and do the best I can. One positive note is that the extreme temps here will force me to go nice and slow in my run this afternoon although I hope to at least be able to run a few strides in each mile to give those fast twitch muscles a wakeup call in preparation for tomorrow. My main goal coming into this race was to simply set a 5 mile PR which is currently 32:43 (set on this course last year) and to better my finishing position in both my AG (7/89) and OA (100/917). We’ve got some pretty fast guys in my age group up here including Tom Ryan who is nationally ranked and the usual winner in most races he runs for our age group. These are the top ten times in the 50-59 AG last year, very respectable for us old geezers wouldn’t you say? Cool 1 – 27:34 – 5:31 – 16 OA 2 – 29:54 – 5:59 – 44 OA 3 – 30:30 – 6:06 – 56 OA 4 – 31:13 – 6:15 – 66 OA 5 – 31:31 – 6:19 – 72 OA 6 – 32:08 – 6:26 – 86 OA 7 – 32:43 – 6:33 – 100 OA 8 – 33:17 – 6:40 – 124 OA 9 – 33:21 – 6:41 – 127 OA 10 – 33:38 – 6:44 – 134 OA
        Dave59

Is it okay for me to continue to have this stream of non-running posts while I’m on the DL?
          Since you do more on the DL, than I do "healthy", I don't see why not. Edited late to clarify: You are can keep posting even if you didn't do all those killer workouts while you're on the DL. It wouldn't be the same if you left. Rest day to try and do extra work.... Tomorrow I will run long, or do a 5k race. It all depends on how I feel when I wake up. When I entered the workforce after college, back in the summer of ’81, I was a "person". Companies had “Personnel Departments”. I worked in an office that was an actual room. Now, after 27 years, I have regressed to be a “thing”. Companies have “Human Resources” departments. And when I go into the office to work, I sit in a former furniture warehouse divided up by ugly little box like things. This was my view on Monday & Tuesday (when I wasn’t in meetings):

Looks a lot like my view Dave. Do you work here? Yes Mainerunnah mentions the anticipated high temps and humidity for his race and then sets his goals at a PR. You da Man! Shocked 3 recovery miles just to keep the legs loose. Strangely, I felt a few twinges. Maybe I was running too slow or too short. Evil grin Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai and Lyndenrunner – where are you running a relay next week? I don’t see it listed in the Intrepid Racers thread.
              It's the Northwest Passage Relay,part of the Ragnar series...I am on the same team as last year...some members of KR and RA are on one of the other teams...just a fun race to do with friends...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mainerunnah - I had to swap out my 305 after I first got it. They sent me a new one and I have not had a single problem with it (knock on wood). Thanks for starting us Holly. Your crosstraining ranks right up there - more than I do that's for sure! If you didn't see the picture of Riblet yesterday - you need to go back and check it out. I say that's a boy yearning to be home playing with Lucy. Rest day for me. TGIF!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all...and TGIF Holly, you are still a runner even though you are going through a set back right now...you BETTER NOT stop posting here or there WILL be major fines Smile Very nice x training girl Steve, you are the person who has got me "hooked" on those 4 mile recovery runs, when I didn't do these runs before..thanks buddie. Good luck mainerunnah with your 5 mile race...dude, you are fast. Hope the weather doesn't affect you effort too much. Have a nice rest day Dave, and hope you do well with the extra work you have to do. Well, you know how you hear stories about how runners get injured in the stooopid most silliest ways???...I did just that yesterday. I was out in the shop checking on the repair process of a few cars, and I stepped on a air hose wrong and I heard a loud "pop" in my right ankle. My ankle is about the size of a baseball now, and I could barely put any weight on it this morning. I hope it is just a sprain but in reality I suspect more...drats. If I can't run for a while, at least I can still cycle I imagine.....oh well. Have a good day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

With "grins" in the title, I thought for a moment Aamos had started us off today! Holly--don't be silly, not only is it "okay" for you keep posting, it's a requirement! Even 6 miles @ 9:14 today, keeping HR down to a comfortable 131. Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Dave59... aka Dilbert Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning to you all... I post over in the 40's on the run thread but I do "nose" around in this thread as well. So hello to everyone! Question for Holly......About 3 weeks ago I started getting pain in the "groin" area. Don't remember pulling anything or doing anything out of the norm, it just seemed to appear one day. Anyway, I took 2 weeks off and am just getting back into running. I didn't and don't have much of a base so I haven't "lost" anything. Did 3 very easy miles this morning and things feel pretty good. Here's my question: Is your pain right where the top of the leg meets the torso? Right in the crease/pelvic area? Just curious.......Also, do you remember how you injured it? I can't remember doing anything to trigger this injury, it is very mind boggling! Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                          ..holly//......keep posting, it's good for morale..... trust me on this. .........my crazy brother who is a MAJOR Backpacker sent me an article from backpacker.com the gist of it was- ''most runners think their joints are made out of plutonium, most backpackers know they're not'' train smart, back off when necessary, and use DiveCheif as your Re-Hab Role Model.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Here's my question: Is your pain right where the top of the leg meets the torso? Right in the crease/pelvic area? Just curious.......Also, do you remember how you injured it?
                            Sartorius? http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_groinstr_art.htm If so, regular leg lifts and "side-lying leg lift" did wonders for me http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_xgroinst_art.htm

Be safe. Be kind.

DickyG

Jeez...looks like just as I'm recovering, everyone else is getting hurt... Tramps: What a super effort on the hills..I got to get myself a Garmin. Holly: Continue to heal..and continue to post. The tee shirts...rats! It was a vendor at the Peachtree runner's expo...just forgot to write down vendors's info...I'll get it next year. Breger: If you think 73 deg & 89% hum is "nice", you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. TomWhite: I know I'm gonna regret this, but what is a "1000-yard stare" run? Rochrunner: I must have missed out...what put you out of commission? Mari: Night run with blinkies...very cool. Bruce: Great idea...splitting your run between streets & track...gonna have to try that. Ribs: Hmmm...let's see...white button-down shirt, pindot tie, navy slacks...yep...definately UVA material. Maine: You've been working extremely hard...use your training & experience...I have confidence in you...kick butt! Tim: I assume you iced the ankle and know the R.I.C.E. procedure? Hope it's not too serious. Good news on the running front..I called my doctor and got him to prescribe Albuterol, the stuff you spray down your throat if you have asthma. Did 4 miles this morning and cut my post-injury best time from 38:39 to 38:01...it still stinks but at least I'm improving. Also was able to run a little farther before I had to walk. Potential bad news on the golf front. My tee time for the first round of club championship is tomorrow...1:12. 2 of my 3 playing partners are...get this...younger than my youngest child. I'm expecting to be out-driven by 40-50 yards on every hole. The other guy is a friend of mine...early 40's...we usually play about the same. Today's pic...I just thought this was funny. DickyG
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But Dave, you have such lovely wall sconces Wink out for a nice run at 6am this morning. 4.2 in 37:50 . Is is possible to have a semi-sproinky run and not know it till you're done? Granted a 9 m/m pace is not flying along, but for what I thought was a large portion of the run, I felt like I was sort of plodding. I expected to see a time approaching 40:00 when I finished. (I never check till the end) No striders today, but i guess I did pick up the pace after stopping to pet a nice pair of Australian shepards. the last mile felt really good. And not even watching a 20-something girl go effortlessly flying by me spoiled it Smile Holly--you need to keep posting--can't go through both running and posting withdrawal at the sme time Smile Like DAve said, you do a lot more while on the DL than I do healthy. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.