Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 2.17.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sending a big CONGRATULATIONS!! to Mike on his win and sub-3 marathon on Sunday! Simply outstanding!

Yesterday's party was a lot of fun; the first guests arrived right on time at 2:17, and we might as well have just left the front door open for the next half hour or so because more and more people kept coming. The newbies fit right in with the folks who had been to our winter party in previous years. We had 5 teams, each working on segments of our custom jigsaw puzzle, when we then assembled to reveal a group photo from last year's party. We also had an 'ugly or different' sweater theme this year, and gave out prizes to some pretty outstanding examples. We went through a lot of food, 15+ bottles of wine, a case of beer, and sodas, etc. After everyone left and DW and I did the kitchen clean-up, we just sat down with our own glasses of wine and asked each other: "What just happened?" While we love hosting these parties, they always seem to go by too fast, and we never have time to spend with people who's company we really enjoy.

This morning, it was 10F and the wind was howling, and I just didn't want to deal with it. So I didn't. But I'd better get out tomorrow morning because we have more snow coming later in the day. I love that we're having a 'real' winter this year!

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that sounds like a great party!  You are right, though.  Sometimes being host means you don't get to relax and enjoy as much.

No run for me today, just 45 minutes or so of weights and core watching Eight Below.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

So excited about yesterday's brief speedwork, but today I took it easy a bit, just over 3 miles at the park, jog/walk.

Wrote up the Fresh Foam 980 by New Balance, my first shoe review.  Case you're interested:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/new-balance-fresh-foam-980-heres-my-take.html/

Spareribs

Mike E congratulations again!

coastwalker that is a LOT of wine to go though!  I do not think I know enough people to throw a party that would consume so much.  [Hick!]

NHLA congratulations on your 2nd AG placement!

Dave59 uh, hmm, way to go with the flights and getting a voucher!?  I am always glad when I am on an overbooked flight there is somebody like you who does not mind getting delayed a bit, well does not mind less than me and thus willing to trade for a voucher.

I managed 8 miles this morning in the freezing cold.  Somehow though I managed to overdress.    Busy day for me.  My DW has the day off but I have an important faculty vote to go to this afternoon.  That means driving to the office for a 90 minute meeting, casting a vote and driving home.  If I lived close to the office that would be fine but 40+ minutes each way .  Oh well, at least my DW has agreed to pick up some fish for dinner which saves me from doing so.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all.

Ummm Jay. I do not love having a real winter this year but I've been spoiled over the past several. It all evens out.

Pssst Ribs. I usually buy my NB's at Joe's NB Outlet and won't pay more than $50 and I think that's outrageous. Yup - I'm tighter than bark on a tree. I did like the write up and "gulp" am actually thinking about a pair.

Fish for dinner. Thanks for the idea twocat.

7 at lunch today. A bit faster than usual. Will run again tonight with kiddo.

Ice storms headed to Indy. We'll be sending those along to you in Dayton very soon Holly. Enjoy.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks C-R, I'll be looking out for them.  We're supposed to get 3-5" of snow on top of the ice, if the forecasters are to be believed.  Plus of course the 25-30mph wind.  Looks like I'll be on the TM again tomorrow morning.  Still, a warm-up is expected over the next few days, and this snowpack may be gone by the weekend.

I was listening to a report on climate change, etc. and they said that the coming summer is expected to be the hottest on record.  Ribs and Breger better stock up on ice.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I was listening to a report on climate change, etc. and they said that the coming summer is expected to be the hottest on record.  Ribs and Breger better stock up on ice.....

I'll not be there come summer!  (MI)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

No running today as I continue my every other day plan. But I did walk this morning and hit the Y for yoga. Despite the ice and snow many of our sidewalks are well plowed. Bike lanes are clear and Heartbreak Hill is almost always down to pavement, as attested to by the costant hordes of runners.

Ribs, most of my shoes are NB. I get them at the outlet store but, since the foams won't get there for another 6 months at least, I'll get them retail at our local running store (where we get a 15% discount). Our newspaper had a big story on them (and the new Adidis and Nikes) this morning.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I am in sunny Florida...lying in bed...I'm sick!  But, it gave me some time to write my race report.

Speaking of my race...I really appreciate your nice comments.

I am in sunny Florida...lying in bed...I'm sick!  

Sorry Mike - you ran so fast you scared all of those germs right out of your body! Hope you feel better quickly so you get to actually enjoy some of that sunny, warm Florida weather.

Sigh. Speaking of weather, we're in the middle of another snowstorm. It's blowing pretty good right now with 6 to 8 inches predicted. School was cancelled for the afternoon and at this rate, those kids will still be going in July. Whatever happened to the concept of global warming?!  Without using a snow blower, the banks up and down our driveway are so high we can't pitch it that far any more

Sounds like a good time was had by all, Jay. Nice job on the party planning.

Six miles on the mill this morning, then jumped into the middle of a "tough mudder" class and did that for 30 minutes. They even had tractor tires to jump through. I'm signing up for a "Tough Mudder" race this summer, though my kids think this will lead to my ultimate demise....

...jylnne///............pack up and move the crew down here, bring twocat with you.......

http://www.wkrn.com/weather?C=126081&redirected=true

=============

still having BackSpasms

hopefully

poolrun tomorrow

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Just popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS to Mike.  Wow.  Will be exciting to read your RR and figure out what you did this time to nail it!  Rest up and get better soon!

I was away at the cabin, so nice and quiet.  I ran my mountain trail.  There was snow on the second day, so so pretty.  5 miles Sat and 6 Sunday.  Then it snowed more and the power went out.  On and off all night long.  Wasn't much I could do with no power except sleep, so sleep I did.  Feeling very well rested now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

tomwhite can I hang with you until I find a place to live?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

I'll not be there come summer!  (MI)

Bill

Breger's way of saying, "Let the old guy fend for himself."  Thanks Bill.  Spareribs

Maniac 505

Mike:  huge congrats on your HUGE results.  I know you worked really hard for this.  Congrats again.

I see that Boston says they will not allow drop bags at Hopkinton this year.  They also say they will pull bandits off the course since they are a security risk?  I am as much against bandits as anyone, but they have a long history at Boston,  it seems that for many many years, they have been planned for and accepted.  What kind of security risk could a Boston Bandit be?

On another note,  they say things will not change around Wellesley  collage (my favorite part of the course)