Masters Running

Monday, 3.28.16 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Looks like there were some great long runs, healing runs, golf outings, celebratory (or not) family meals and gatherings yesterday. Great photos from Steve and Ribs!

Here is a photo from our 'political dinner' on Saturday night. Bernie was left off the cake because, in the mind of the host, he has not chance of winning and it is unlikely the Democrats will have a divided convention. He also assumes that anything can/will happen at the Republican convention.

After my workout yesterday, I spent a lot of time cleaning out garden beds in advance of the spring growing season. I was tired and achy by the end of the day, and glad that today is my SRD.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

We're sitting in the Phoenix airport waiting to fly home. We had a good visit and enjoyed the sunny, warm weather.  It got up to the mid 80s most days.  I did a couple 5 mile runs in the early morning when it was in the mid 50s.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...Love that cake.......

==========

well,

apparently you can be a Little Bit Too Tuned-Up

darn big toe has swelled up again,

it's like having

an ingrown nail, but it isn't ingrown

slept in that Toe Gel Sleeve overnite, still plan on hiking tomorrow,

bringing a lighter and SwissArmyKnife in case I have to stick it

meh

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning y'all,

My brother's birthday would have been this coming Thursday and he got an early present this year; he didn't graduate, but went to Villanova.

Speaking of family, being the child of two depression era parents is how I explain why the pantry is always fully stocked.

Ran a marathon Saturday and thought the race's motto is worth sharing: "Live your life well."  We hadn't been to Tomoka, near Ormond Beach and an area called "The Casements."  It was a home of John D. Rockefeller but now is open to the public.  It's by the water, and there's this lovely bridge [see below], and you know I love bridges.  But who puts a bridge at mile 25 in a marathon???  Argo bargo, I know I was forewarned, and I do like to run bridges, but this was challenging, I must admit.  On the up side, you could tell yourself that the sooner you got over it, the sooner you could stop running.  Anyway, pretty spot and good race.  If you do the half, you go over the bridge twice, and the 5K is pretty much the bridge--you go over it, run out a half mile, turn around and go back over.  So we marathoners were lucky.

Have greta Mondays.   Last one in March.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - that is indeed a lovely bridge, although at mile 25 in a race it could be downright cruel....

Just 1.4 miles on the TM for me today, after about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Good thing srd for us.  Train is delayed over 2 hours but not considered significant by. Amtrak.  Based on messages it seems gt then 3 hrs is significant - strange math!

aamos impressive bridge and I'm sure great views

Howdy Do, All ~

I haven't been around much, okay basically at all, but I've been thinking about you all.

Lovely picture, Aamos.  Sucky thing to have to tackle at Mile 25!

TW - Hope you don't have to lance the toe!

Hope everyone had a good Easter yesterday.  I worked at the Welcome Center at church for the first service and it was busy.  I'm guessing the 11:00 service was even busier.

Saturday I volunteered at a local 5.5 trail race in the Community Forest.  Had 11 on the schedule, so I went out early and ran the course, then was stationed at a strategic turning point - which ended up being good 'cause I was able to keep mountain bikers off a section that had runners coming up - then ran the course again as sweep.  AND - I got sucked into being sweep again for Grasshopper Peak 30k in June - the race with which I have a love/hate relationship.  As least as sweep, though, there's no pressure to PR or anything.  

Have a great week ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All! 

that is quite a bridge to run over - maybe it would be better at about mile 5 though 

busy weekend for us but I took Friday off work, so got in a bit over 5 miles on Friday and just a couple miles on the trails with the dogs yesterday. Went up to my parents for dinner in the afternoon. My brother had to work all day but his girlfriend joined us, so that was nice. 

Today will be a rest day, not because I need to rest, but just because I won't have time to get in a run at all. But the rest of the week is looking pretty good for 'after work' runs and on one of those I need to get in about 7-8 miles as my "long run".  I still don't know how in the heck I plan on getting up to 18 miles for a 30K on 4/23. That's 4 wks from this saturday! Is that even possible or should I bag it?

Tammy

Cake looks yummy Jay!

SRD - although I did bike up the hill to work - wow, I had no leg strength and then on top of that some weird tendony/ligamenty thing going on at the back of my left knee.

Figures the one day I come in a little late to work, my boss is uncharacteristically early.  So now she is going to think I always come in after 9 am.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Rainy run followed by an eye exam, so I can barely read what I am posting Wink

Lovely bridge Amy, maybe a good distraction to get you to the finish?

Happy Trails!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

amy - though I don't even know where it is (VA?) or who else went there,

with the michigans long gone and oregon the same, count me on the Villanova side too.

My brother's birthday would have been this coming Thursday and he got an early present this year; he didn't graduate, but went to Villanova.

Aamos - that is indeed a lovely bridge, although at mile 25 in a race it could be downright cruel.

nice, especially with an ocean view like that. .

Unfortunately, I don't think I can enjoy them as much as would have been possible

before I reached this stage but, except for the occasional running in inclement weather

that has made some so, I can't recall any races I've ever done

that would, for me, qualify as "cruel" in their own right.

However, I'm adding it to my standard "the-longer-and-harder-the-better"

criteria and hope I can find one sometime that will work out but I doubt it. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Monday & Thursday are the days I come into the office. I set my alarm for 5:00am so I can run before work but I only actually get up and do that 1 in 10 mornings. Today was the usual. Turn off the alarm, get another hour of sleep, get up, and come into the office.

Sayhey! MM#130

--tet--Bruce graduated from Notre Dame High in Detroit, an all boys Catholic school, so not surprising he chose to go to 'Nova, in Philly.   Our Aunt Rose was a head nurse in Philly and we both spent a lot of time there.......

"Villanova's Augustinian Catholic intellectual tradition is the cornerstone of an academic community where students learn to think critically, act compassionately and succeed while serving others."  It didn't go co-ed until the mid 60's, I think.

But y'know CNY (Karin) is big on those Orangemen and they too are in the Final Four.

And you gotta run a lot to play good basketball.

And I am not even mentioning how baseball season is about to start!!!!!!!!

Ran 8 yesterday am and again this am (different routes).  Always enjoy the runs after a marathon.  They seem so short!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

-

But y'know CNY (Karin) is big on those Orangemen and they too are in the Final Four.

And Stumpy comes from SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, situated right next to the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. (Which wasn't there when I went) So will be all Orange for me for the next week.

And on the running front, I haven't been doing any since last Tuesday.  The joint on my left big toe has been alternating between sore (almost a normal state) and VERY SORE (not normal) since then.  Guessing there is arthritis in there somewhere, but not sure what aggravates it so much at times.  Plenty of ibu seems to have done the trick--we'll see how it feels at 5:30am tomorrow.

Good luck with your toe, TW.  Hope no surgery is required.

Great marathon, Amy.  Sad to see that the bridge bothered so much that you only won your AG by 1:15 or so.    Of course, I would have been ecstatic to have the runner's up time.

You are in a bunch of grownups, Jay.  It would have seemed more likely that that cake would have ended up in someone's face and not on your plates.

Cute new kitty, LaT.  Should drag the FB picture over here, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Great marathon, Amy.  Sad to see that the bridge bothered so much that you only won your AG by 1:15 or so.    

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance