Masters Running

Autumn Tuesday, 9.23.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm so far out of the loop that it is ridiculous. DW and I had a great time touring the central region of the gorgeous state of Vermont last week. It was good news and bad news that I had no internet access: I was forced to not do any work while I was away; but I had (and still have) a heck of a lot of catching up to do and emails to respond to, now that I am wired again. We stayed at a gorgeous B&B in Quechee, VT (just outside of Woodstock) for most of the week, and then moved to Hunter, NY (near that state's Woodstock) on Friday for a nephew's wedding on Saturday evening. It was a fantastic wedding - an outdoor ceremony with sheep and llamas looking on from a near-by pasture, and then dinner/dancing in a rustic and beautiful barn with a huge bonfire blazing outside, near the shore of a small pond. You couldn't miss in a setting like that. It was great to get away, and it was also great to get back home. Now, one of DW's sisters is visiting for the week. We like her a lot, so it'll be good to have her here for a while.

5 RW miles at the usual time this morning in 45F temps, under a star-filled, moonless sky. I've got a bit of leg fatigue, so there was no snap, crackle or pop in my workout today. So it goes...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

If anybody deserves a vacation like that, Jay, it's you. Welcome back. Now get to work, dangit.
      Dave59

7 miles of hills this morning. I always look forward to my Tuesday run with the hill gang.

Mariposai

Welcome back Jay! Is Vermont starting to look like Autumn? Once again, congrats to your DW and you on your anniversary.

No running for me here this morning. I did run with the Easy Pacer last night after work. I will run tonight again after work. It is so nice now that the weather is cooler because it gives me the opportunity to run either morning or afternoon.

This morning I am testing out a new recipe for marinara sauce. With the bumper crop of tomatoes and basil this year from my garden I decided to be creative and explore other recipes.

Deez4boys, it is so great that you had the change to run with OrangeMat. I miss that girl. Did she move to Boston then? If so, maybe I will finally able to meet her in April, if I get in for Boston 2015 (I am still waiting to her from them).

I am looking forward to reading and seeing pictures of the VT, RA family meeting.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Sounds like a beautiful vacation Jay, and as I am from that area of upstate NY, I can picture it easily.  Glad you enjoyed it.

5.5 miles with the Saint this morning, including 3 x 1/2 mile at 9 minute pace, which is a bit quicker than her 5K pace, but I am easing her into this workout. Considering she ran a tenK on Saturday she did well.  Plan is to add another half mile to this workout until we get to 6 x 1/2 mile, then to begin decreasing the rest interval from 1/2 to 1/4 mile. She will be in fabulous shape by then.  Spareribs

...Good for you Jay//........you probably needed to Sleep In........

===========

...20-min xbike standing

double wgt sessions

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

G'day!

I've been out of internet/phone contact, like Jay, so I'm also furiously playing catch-up.  I DO know Erika won her AG and came in 11th woman at Equinox, I think, and wanted to share this quote from the woman who won the dang thins AND broke the long-standing course time recod (meaning: she is a beast!).  Here it is:

"as soon as I got out there I said, ‘OK, it’s really gnarly if you’re a road racer, but it is nothing if you’re a mountain racer.’”

I'm going to suggest a little added emphasis and also that the initial part of her comment is the apt part, i.e, that the Equinox is REALLY gnarly.  Period.

I almost got to meet up with Mike, but Friday, by the time we landed in the Cities and got our rental, it was after 6 and we had 360 miles to drive before the race Sunday morning (and the same back yesterday) so DH got us on the road.    Beautiful weather, and the trees in northern MN and beyond are turning for true!  We really enjoyed our taste of autumn.

Oh, and we found this incredible restaurant, Sushi Station, that is all you can eat (which normally isn't a plus for me) but this one had no buffet table.  You ordered from a variety of Japanese and Thai dishes  and got little tasting dishes that were prepared as you ordered them.  The all you can eat part is that you can just keep ordering.  No kidding; it was a new experience.  Felt like we were  putting on a huge gala with a caterer bringing out tasting dishes to show  what s/he could do.   We had sushi, tempura, curries, etc., etc.   And yes, I was a piggy--even got green tea ice cream for dessert, which I haven't done for years.    Once again, I travel to a marathon and gain weight!

Have a fabulous rest of the day.  3 perky miles this am for the first ones since Sunday; cooler here this am, too!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that does sound lovely!

Mariposai - you can't go wrong with a good marinara.

Tammy - he is such a cutie...

(((Lamerunner and DD)))

Surprisingly we still have barely any leaves turning yet.  Probably it's because we had a good amount of rain this summer, and I'm hoping that means we will have even more vibrant colors.  However, I am happy to enjoy the green a little longer.

5.2 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 43 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome back Amy.
                    Was that the one up in Canada where tall runner is?
                    However, I bet he never got first place AG though. 
                    Congratulations on another superlative sub-3:30 marathon.
                    <<<swoon/swoon)>>>
                    Welcome back too jay.
                    Does race walking produce sore quads as in heel running? 
                    After walking most of the recent Tunnel-Lite Marathon (in 7:08:48, more than 2X amy) 7:08:48) instead of the mid/fore-foot running I’d planned on on the rails-to-trails 2% descending grade for the consequent sore calves as in past runnings, I ended up with sore quads for the first time in four or five years as if from heel-striking or thrashing ‘em on some of multi-mile steep descents of certain ultras around here. <<<(WhiteRiver50/WhiteRivertt50)>>>.  I can’t imagine quad thrashing on a 2% grade but the heel striking, yes.  How about you?
                    ps amy - I hope you dropped off a hydration  pack, vest and bottles for Mike as it looks like he’s going to be needing all the help he can get back in Vt.  Be sure not to tell him to look at what CNY does and do the same.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

...I DO know Erika won her AG and came in 11th woman at Equinox, I think, and wanted to share this quote from the woman who won the dang thins AND broke the long-standing course time recod (meaning: she is a beast!).  Here it is:

"as soon as I got out there I said, ‘OK, it’s really gnarly if you’re a road racer, but it is nothing if you’re a mountain racer.’”

11th?? Wow, I wish... Thanks, but no, I was 19th. Which is better than last year's 20th placing, and even with a slower time. But I'll take it.

Loved the pictures of David yesterday, Tammy. He has the look.

Good workout for the Saint, Ribs. She's lucky to have such a dedicated and enthusiastic coach!

Leaves are just about all gone here. A quote from a friend worth repeating: "I love fall in Fairbanks. Both days." Yes indeed. We've got a chance of snow this afternoon/tonight, but so far it's looking pretty nice out there. I saw the forecast for rain and snow mix and left my running stuff at home. Unless I go out tonight while dinner is on the grill (beer can chicken!), this will be a rest day.

C-R

Hey All and welcome back Jay. Sounded like a nice vacation.

Sounded like a great place to eat Amy.

Getting ready for XC stuff here so run #1 was at the local course. Setting a bar to see if I can get better. Our Hoosier XC Grand Prix. 6 races in the area and we have Masters divisions. Can't wait to enter. Since Patrick is tearing it up, I might as well get some mud on my shoes too.

Well back at it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

"I love fall in Fairbanks. Both days." 

and also 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R good luck with your cross country training.

tutsujin209 one word sneakers.  Maybe two, socks and sneakers.

PBJ good luck.  If you need to pass on AC just remember you will heal up and then run well in the next one.

StarrRuns sounds like a good plan to me!  But, you can probably run short one of the two days prior to the race and not do your final race time any harm.

BTY happy belated birthday!

Mike E have you checked the VT weather forecast recently?  

evanflein after your AG with, hitting 200 miles for the month . . . why bother?

rochrunner we had a brutal winter, a cool summer and now it looks like winter will come in quick.  I am expecting to see polar bears outside my house any day now.  

coastwalker glad you had a good time on your trip.  Leg fatigue happens especially after a trip when the whole system is often sort of run down.

Dave59 most people would view a weekly hill workout as something other than an event to "look forward to."  Survive maybe, but not look forward to.  

Mariposai you know where to send jars of that sauce to, right?

Spareribs nothing like having a personal coach!  I am sure the Saint appreciates your help.

tomwhite other than you did something for 20 minutes I am stumped.

AamosY if you have ever been to a Korean barbecue they often operate the same way.  If you have never been to one, go!  They are often really, really good.

Holly S. we are starting to see some trees turn around here in CT, so I am guessing yours will too pretty soon.

Anyone that wishes to get my recap of the Reach the Beach Relay race can find my completed set of blog posts at rosieruizfanclub.blogspot.com.

I nearly died this morning.  Yes, sad but true.  I got up.  Put on my running clothes, short sleeved shirt and short pants and went down to get ready to head out.  Then I looked at the outside temperature and it said, oh I cannot believe it, it said 41°!  NO!!!!  Too cold, too cold.  Up I went and put on, put on, . . . I can't, I can't go on . . . put on a long sleeved shirt!    Yes, the horror!  Then I went back down stairs and bagged the whole run in the cold thing, got some work done and waited for the temperature to at least hit the mid 40's.  Somehow, I then survived an 8 mile run.  [Editor:  There, there Twocat.  Twocat:  I can't go on in the cold like this!!!!    Editor:  Not to worry, see I have the emergency ticket to Australia for you.  If it actually hits freezing you can use it to get away.  Twocat: sniff, sniff, really?  Oh, thank you!!  Thank you!]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Me, I was seriously bummed that I didn't reset my alarm clock this morning and missed a chance for 5 miles in a brisk 45F.  Oh well, it's supposed to be the same tonight.  I do my best not to break out the long pants until the end of October.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Good afternoon.

Great pictures of Tammy's son yesterday!  He is running great!   Jay, sounds like a great time in Vermont. Very pretty this time of year. And Amy snuck in another marathon; how ever do you do it!

Twocat, I  hate to tell you but January is coming, at which point 41 will seem warm.

... it was about 41 here too, and our heat does not work and we have some windows open, so actually I went running to get warm. Light long sleeves, shorts, gloves ( which I did not need but they are comforting). It was quite sunny though. 6.5 miles around town with tired legs (  for  insufficient reason) but with new shoes.

I thought about swimming too but the late day schedule won't work.  Maybe yoga tomorrow at lunch. It has been a while...