Masters Running

Boca PAL Half RR - getting a read on Conditioning ... (Long winded warning) (Read 350 times)

Recently our weather has become glorious again after 5 months of H&H. (If you ever consider a trip to South Florida, November is a great choice. Pleasant, calm, sunny days one after another. But, as TomWhite would say, I digress ...) The nice weather, and the modified F.I.R.S.T. training program I've been loosely following since Eugene, has found me running faster and easier to where almost all my MLR's and LR's are being run at MP or near-MP - without really trying to. So not being totally dense, I figured I'd better find myself a Race right quick, and see where I really am with my conditioning. I looked at the running calendar and found the Boca PAL (Police Athletic League) Half Marathon was coming up and the weather forecast was for 61F degrees when I checked earlier in the week. That sounds like a winner ... Perchcreek commented one day that it must be nice to be in good enough shape to just decide to run an HM at the last minute. That comment stuck with me and further encouraged me. The Boca PAL HM is a favorite of the local runners despite a somewhat quirky course (more on that in a bit). It comes at the beginning to middle of the training cycles for the upcoming Marathon season down here, and it is always well-represented by the local running talent. You don't cherry pick an AG podium spot on this one. You have to earn this one. Fast results are the norm. I would be happy with a 1:47 something, since the F.I.R.S.T. plan wants me to run a 1:47 HM before starting their 3:45 BQ training program. But I was fairly certain with the way I was running that I had a sub-1:45 in me. And my HM PR is 1:45:48. I'd like to erase that if possible but that one was run in IRC. My Smokin' Dope goal (geez, I miss CNYRunner ...) was for a 1:43 something. The weather forecast changed a little and at 5:15 AM when I left the house it was 67F and 80% humidity. Not bad really, but I would have preferred the upper 50s or low 60s. Ah well, deal with it. I decided to run 8 minute miles and see what would happen. If I ran outta steam, I'd still be good for the 1:47. If I felt great, I'd kick it in the last 5K and try for the Smokin' Dope time. I register and make my way to the start in a shady park along A1A. It was great catching up with some old pals before the start. The local running clubbers were there of course, including several of my favorites. There was Big Shot Attorney (BSA - no disrespect intended, he is the nicest guy around). There were the local Maniac 50 Staters who run together all the time at their leisurely and fun pace (50S - again no disrespect intended. I envy them that a little.) I met up with an ex-Co-Worker (XCW) - I didn't even know he was a runner since I wasn't a runner when I worked there. And I said Hi to another acquaintance and sometime training buddy, Young Gorgeous Triathlete (YGT). The race started and YGT took off like a shot. She is a new runner/triathlete and finished a 5K just seconds ahead of me a while back when I had a meh day. As she streaked off I thought "Oh My. I'll be seeing her later on, I'll bet". Mile 1 - 8:05 2 - 8:03 3 - 7:54 4 - 7:52 Okay, careful. Don't get stoopid. Ease off a touch. 5 - 8:06 At mile 5 or so I caught up with XCW. "Wow. He's ahead of me. He runs pretty good." We chatted for a while about the ex-workplace and the other people I used to work with. He asked what my goal was for the race. When I told him he said "I'm shooting for sub-2 hours". I told him he was on pace for a whole lot less than that. He said he was running out of gas. ("Oops. He's going to regret this early pace. I'm going to have to say goodbye to him shortly.") 6 - 8:01 At this point the course has a turnaround. I'd already waved at YGT as she was still cookin' along ahead of me. After I made the turn around I see BST who waves and I wave back. Then I saw the 50S'ers gabbing away having a great ole time. Great guys. They cheered me on loudly and happily. 7 - 8:06 Yellow Shirt Guy (YSG), Red Shirt Guy (RSG), Tall Guy (TG), and I have been running more or less together for miles now - always within 25 yards of each other consistently running 8's. No one seems willing (or able!) to move away. We all seem content to just keep moving on. 8 - 7:54 Mile 7 and 8 are back in the park where we started and you actually pass close by the Finish Line before heading back out onto A1A. I hate that. It so mentally challenging to see the Finish Line and know you have major miles ahead - and the hardest miles at that. I trudge my sorry butt out of the park grumbling to myself. 9 - 8:00 10 - 8:02 It might seem to you that I'm clicking off these 8 minute miles rather easily. Not. They are all Hard and I'm thinking long Tempo run thoughts to keep me going - concentrating on running form. 11 - 7:56 Okay. If we're going to kick it in, it has to be now. I look ahead and there's YGT. She's slowing up a little and I'm gaining. As I expected I did catch her. But she has really run well! She says to me "You got a rope, Bob?" I Wish I did, I tell her. I'd be using it to keep up with her. I'm too tired to tell her I'm not Bob. (Wish I was.) 12 - 8:09 Nothin' to kick with. Gassed. Hanging on. Slowest mile of all. 13 - 8:00ish Forgot to press the Lap button. Too busy trying to finish. As I round the last corner I can see the Finish Line and finally the clock comes into view: 1:44:45, 1:44:46, ... Oh Crap! I'm going to have to sprint. I Don't Wanna Sprint! But sprint I do and sneak over the finishing mat at 1:44:59. How's that for eeking out goal #2? A slight PR of 49 seconds or so. Avg HR 161 (89% of maximum), highest HR 172. TG finishes right ahead of me. YGT finishes right behind me and she thanks me for pulling her in. She says that her previous HM PR is just under 2 hours. Dang. Whatever triathlete training she's doing is working. This one has some talent. She's going to be leaving me in the dust real soon. I find YSG, RSG, and TG and we congratulate each other and thank each other for pulling each other along. It seems we were all barely hanging on. I thought I was more tired than they all looked. XCW came in at 1:57 and made his goal! YSG said he slowed down at a water station and when I went by him he thought "Wow. I didn't know anyone was back there. How long were you behind me?" Many Miles I tell him. He compliments me on being such a quiet, smooth runner. I tell him that I was huffing and puffing bigtime and I thank him for not minding that I drafted off him a lot. As expected the local talent came out. Ronnie Hollasie won the Men's HM in 1:10:43. I ended up 5th out of 13 in my AG - 72nd out of 308 overall. I'm happy with this race and the result. But I'm more happy that I seem to have gotten out of my running funk. Running faster for a little less miles seems to have worked. The zip is back and I am feeling confident and looking forward again. Maybe if I can get a good weather day at Maimi I can run that HM at 7:50 or 7:55 pace and trim a minute or two more off this HM PR ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo Bregster! You've been running well and your FIRST training looks like it's paying off! Nice PR, and you've definitely got a faster time in you with cooler weather. You had amazingly even splits- every mile was 8:00 +/- 9 seconds!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hey there Zippy Byll! Yes, that is the good news, you're back! Maybe you should try and find YGT to see if she needs a running partner Wink Congrats! grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Running faster for a little less miles seems to have worked. This is my new mantra - I'm hoping it might make 2009 a speedier year for me... It's great watching your progress, Bob, Smile and you are have just been getting faster and faster. Congratulations on your new HM PR!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Hey Bob! Greta race there, man! I love the names you give for everyone. I do that too! Gotta keep the mind somewhat distracted so the legs can work on running! Congrats on the PR and the nice pacing. It does look like your funky running days are behind you!

Hill Runner

Bill,...So that's your secret to a great PR....find a YGT in the field and keep up with her... Big grin. Whatever you have been doing seems to be working for you. You are SO ready for you next and final BQ attempt Smile, it's going to be in the bag! I'm looking forward to finally meeting you in Boston!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Great job, breger. You saw a lot of friends, smoked your first goal, got your second goal, got a PR, and got your running mojo back. Congratulations. TomS
                  Hooray!!! You did excellent, Bob! Wink And a smart thing too to sign up for a race when you are feeling good.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Do you mind if I call you Bob??? that sounds like a sweet race!!!!! PRs simply feel good.

SteveP

Congrats on a fine race, Bill. Nice pacing. And a very nice RR. Confidence.....I seem to remember that. As I remember it makes you feel so.....so....confident. Glad you're feeling it....keep it up!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Tramps

The funk is officially over. Nice job, Byll! I'm still amazed that 67F, 80% at the start is "not bad" weather for you. I'd be whining all the way through the report! Give me upper 30's!

Be safe. Be kind.

The funk is officially over. Nice job, Byll! I'm still amazed that 67F, 80% at the start is "not bad" weather for you. I'd be whining all the way through the report! Give me upper 30's!
                          I ditto that Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - Greta job Bob, err I mean Byll! You done good and the F.I.R.S.T. training really seems to be paying dividends. I loved all your abbreviations for people. Great read!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

The great PR aside, I was most impressed by the consistency. You ran well and you ran smart. There is more to come for you too. Nice going Bill. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Very cool. Loved reading about such a greatly run race!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!