Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.4.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I hope you all had a good week last week - I did! We were on vacation in Castine, ME, and we had a terrific, relaxing time. It was great to get away, but it's also very good to be back. I did a lot of hill work while I was away, 'cause that is all there were. Too bad that now I go back to being a flatlander, and all that good hill training will now fade away.

I'm way behind on the "daily," and have a lot of ketchup to do. I also have an early meeting this morning that I still need to prep for, so this'll be quick: 4.6 easy RW miles at JJ o'clock this morning in incredibly dense fog. Visibility was about 1/8 of a mile at best. You know the fog is thick when you can feel it on your face. But it was 61F, so it was a nice cool fog, and I didn't mind it at all.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you do the ketchup and I'll do the mustard....

I had a great time at the Kenny Loggins concert with DD last night.  What a great concert!  I'd see him again in a heartbeat.  The woman who sat next to us was such a super-fan, she was overcome by emotion and sobbing for much of the concert - something I have not seen before.  DD and I were not overcome, but we did a lot of singing along and some dancing...

Rest day for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..Great Pictures of the 3-toms............good looking crew

((mari))........I know that's tough, but at least you're safe

{{{steveP]]........just know we're concerned for you and the family

jay//....we thought you had been kidnapped, nice to see your post

=========

...rest day here too,

felt like I spent the night sleeping in a CementMixer......

don't ask how I know this.

......................good running guys

eta-

oh, ps,,

,for any of you History Buffs,

''Apocalypse World War 1'' starts tonite on the HistoryChannel,

100th Anniversary

of The War to End All Wars

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Yay!  Jay is home safe and sound.  I saw how folks were dressed at Fenway last night; nippy times there!

I can't envision you in tears at a concert, Holly.  Glaad it was good.

Did you leave the bed vibrate button on last night tw??

Cloudly sunrise and I spooked a grey heron at Lakes Park, sorry to say.  I suppose s/he needed to get up soon, anyway, right?  SInce my eyes were not as engaged as they usually are there, my nose went into overdrive as I passed the Fragrance Garden.  I really wanted to detour down the paths there but somehow didn't succumb and stayed the course....not that it was anything spectacular.  Just 8 miles at a 9+ pace, being lazy still.

Say, if we had an August long weekend holiday, what should it commemorate?  I'll start: how about a Peach Festival?  I know peaches are harvested as far north as Massachusetts (Wilbraham Peaches!)   Peaches are super fruit, lots of varieties, and a good reason to get together with friends and family to make peach based recipes, run races for bushels of peaches as prizes, and otherwise celebrate summer.

Please feel free to share favorite peach based recipes.  I have just started grilling them and I love them in am oatmeal.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Ok - if Jay does the ketchup and Holly does the mustard, I'll do the relish!!

Had a nice day yesterday in Maine with dh - snuck out for an hour in the middle of the afternoon for a bike ride but no run.  He left early today for work and I slept a little later than planned but went out for my long run before 8.  13.2 miles in 2:08  Really working on slowing down my long runs but didn't master that today - my first mile was over 10 min/mile but after that they were all sub 9:50 with the last 2 miles at 9:25 and 9:11.  I need to get better at running slower on my long runs and see if that helps me avoid the cramp and crash at mile 17 for Philly.

Just found out I need to rotate to a few nights on the September schedule - not happy about that and I'm sure that riled me up a few times during my run.  I understand the need to staff up nights a little better, but I don't like how they blindside us and just put us on random nights during our schedule rather than let us know ahead of time.  Oh well, at least I have a job I love - the nights may not be pretty but I'll get them done!!

HAPPY MONDAY!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Swamped with work just now.  And that gig in Rochester came through, as did a big one in Cincinnati.  So adios to my slow summer.

After yesterday's "long" run, today was recovery day for the Saint and me, so we did a 3.4 miler at the park at about 10:30 pace.

Last night's lamb vindaloo with naan was outstanding.  Tamarind paste in the marinade really does the job.  But there were no peaches in it Aamos.

It pains me to look at the AL standings and see the Red Sox and Rangers.  Our team is on pace to lose 100 games, after winning 90 last season.  That's a tough achievement!    Spareribs

Mariposai

Happy Monday to you all.

Holly, which son of Kenny Loggins is your DD's favorite?

Tselbs, great picture of the three of you! That baby is adorable.

Grilled peaches, that sounds like yummie. I will be grilling some salmon tonight, maybe I will get some peaches to grill along with the other veggies I already have.

Last night's dinner with our friends was a humbling experience. Here at our table we had two couple who are victims of the fire, both of them have such a positive attitude about the whole thing (including the one who lost everything) that I was in tears when they left. Both couple are daily going up to their area and helping the less fortunate, those who did not have insurance, to go over their char burned property to clean up. Their strong faith is admirable.

Happy Monday, Happy week to us all. I welcome the week with 4 smile miles this morning. Yeahhh, just the way I like it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

what is it about summer that makes a guy wanna run barefoot instead of in sweaty socks and stomping shoes?  Four more barefoot miles this morning pickin’ a handful of blackberries (for morning cereal), along with disposing of some of the litter some picnickers’ forgot to put in nearby refuse containers.  
                  if you’ve ever thought about incorporating a little barefoot running

into your routine to toughen up feet and strengthen ankles

to say nothing of improving forefoot form, summer’s the time to do it.

Besides, it’s fun.
                  good luck Steve.

posie mo ganbatte.

ohayou gozaimasu mikemp

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet, will you be running the upcoming ultra up at Lake Stevens this year?  I know you've done it in the past. A local ultra guy "Rob" will be running and just about every run he does is for raising $ and awareness of the Wounded Warrior Project. Often he runs ultra's holding up an American Flag .

Sad photos of the fire devastation Nancy. I'm so sorry. We are in the midst of our own wildfires too. The one closest to me is not very large at 204 acres and 85% contained. But the largest one, over by Klamath area, is very large and burning quickly. Already 8 homes lost I believe and many evacuations. It's tough terrain. 

Wonderful picture of the Tom's!  Glad you had a nice family reunion.

Starr - Those grandkids are so adorable! love the pics!

Congrats to Mike on his track meet! However, I do think my son would have a few words of advice for you on getting to the starting line and psyching out the competition a bit earlier than a split second before the gun goes off.

We saw the James Brown movie "Get on Up" this wknd. Huge JB fans here so we enjoyed the movie. A bit raw at times. but if anything it made my conversation and meeting with him and the things we talked about even more special and memorable knowing so much more about his past, upbringing and difficulties growing up. 

Tammy

Slo

Hello all !

Fresh back to work after spending a week on Table Rock Lake in MO. The whole family at Big Cedar Lodge...quite the place.

Excellent time spent each morning running with two of my sisters. We got some hill work in. Pretty hard to avoid the hills if you are trying to cover any worth while distance.

Hard to return to normal after a week of indulgence.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, will you be running the upcoming ultra up at Lake Stevens this year?  I know you've done it in the past. A local ultra guy "Rob" will be running and just about every run he does is for raising $ and awareness of the Wounded Warrior Project. Often he runs ultra's holding up an American Flag .

Tammy -
                        My uncle had a place on Lake Stevens in those days and I used to love the hilly Lake Stevens Half Ironman, . . . until the Ironman Corporation started requiring shoes on the cycle and run courses.

I don’t know of any Lake Stevens ultras though.

Might it be my favorite 12-hour at Carkeek Park near Northgate on November 1, 2014?

i know runners who regularly carry U.S. flags for several marathons

but ultras would be extremely daunting.

I hope I can meet your Rob. .
                        Was it this weekend or will David be doing the Mariner’s Run-around-the-Bases next week?. There’s a marathon/50K in Bothell on Sunday (8/9) I’m hoping to do if it works out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet, I looked back at what my friend posted on our running groups facebook page. He's competing in the ironman at Lake Stevens the wknd of Aug 16th, and then 2 wks later running a local 100K relay down here, but he's running it solo. 

it's this upcoming wknd when we'll be in Seattle. We leave to drive up on Friday and then leave Monday for the long drive back.  He's especially excited that the two games we will be at, we'll see Iwakuma and Hernandez pitch. And then seeing Pinella inducted at Saturday's game will be exciting as I'm sure many of the former players that I remember from my days up there will be in attendance - Griffey Jr, the Big Unit, Bone, et al. 
                          For Sundays game we got some good seats by 3rd base, 6th row up. Good foul ball territory and David will be sitting in seat 1, so he can quickly get out if needed. 

Tammy

Dave59

I've been busy with family stuff.  Daughter and boyfriend here from Chicago.  Other daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter here from Tallahassee.  Annabelle has been super glued to me for a couple days, but she just headed off up north to spend a couple days with the other grandparents.  I told her to keep an eye out for a batman and a talking dog when she goes camping up in Steve's neck of the woods.

After a 10-day running streak I woke up today just feeling beat up.  Falling on the sidewalk Saturday and keeping up with a 6-year old for 2 straight days didn't help.  So I am taking today off and hoping for some energy for tomorrow's hill workout.

I've been toying with the idea of playing trombone again.  I did all through high school, college and beyond for a while but then I gave my instrument away to a nephew 20+ years ago.  I bought one off Ebay a few years ago but haven't been motivated to play it.  Then I saw this article about a kid who was robbed of his trombone at gunpoint, and someone known as "Trombone Shorty" who is stepping in to get the kid a new one.  (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/arts/music/trombone-shorty-helps-a-young-victim.html)  I started listening to some of his music and I feel some motivation growing to play again.

evanflein

It's so easy to get so far behind here. Even when you're trying to keep up.

Loved the picture of the Toms. That's really sweet. Starr's grandkids, too. Just adorable.

Not a bad idea to take it easy, Dave, especially after that fall (even though it sounded spectacular).

I'm just really wanting to ask tomwhite to go into that cement mixer story....

Nancy, my heart goes out to you and your communities dealing with that fire. When we have big fires around here, a lot of scrub gets burned, and wildlife displaced/some killed but we mainly have to deal with the smoke. It's an entirely different situation in more populated areas where people's homes and lives are being destroyed.

Welcome back, Jay! And Slo! Sounds like you had great getaways.

I thought I posted here yesterday, but I guess not. We had one of our nicest weekend days here yesterday, it was so nice! Especially appreciated after Saturday's dreadful conditions. I got out for 14.3 miles in the sunny afternoon, which was a little more than I was planning on after the half marathon on Saturday. My legs weren't entirely happy with me about it, but I did decide to scrap an additional loop around the neighborhood to get to 15+ miles. I just didn't have it in me. That's fine. Got me to 53 and change for the week. Spose I ought to think about a taper sometime soon?

Hi, All -

Very behind again, but love the Toms pick and Starr's grandkids pics!

Holly - Last Friday I was referenced your friend who was going to run a 50k then two weeks later run her first 50-miler.  Was wondering what she did re the 50k and how she did in the 50-miler.

Welcome back, Jay ~

Posie - The devastation in your area is incredible. But with folks like your friends and the support of the rest of the community, people will overcome the losses.  }{HUGS and PRAYERS to all of them}}

Amy - Is there a course in law school called "Procrastination 101 (Or How to Drive Your Support Personnel Crazy)"?

Friday - Our office settled a large litigation case (which I knew nothing about since I don't work in that department), so the partners gave all of us 2-weeks' pay as a bonus. I was so shocked, I started crying. I made sure I personally thanked every single partner for the bonus. It's a HUGE help to us. Then Friday night, the office paid for everyone and their families to go to the baseball game. The game has a 50/50 raffle. The winner was the secretary of our department and her husband - $796 - so it was a double bonus day for them. They really struggle financially, so I was very happy for them.

My runs on Saturday and Sunday went well. Saturday was 14 in the Community Forest, which meant lots of up and down. Some of you probably saw my FB post re seeing the guy with the yaks, the cops looking for someone who had beat up his girlfriend, etc. It wasn't a boring run! The guy with the yaks - whoa-dee! He had some major issues. I won't go into all he said to me and the ladies who were trying to keep their horses calm, but suffice to say I was happy I didn't see him again.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance