Masters Running

Happy Saturday to all 7-12-14 (Read 35 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

No run, but I'm going to sneak in and brag on my DW.  She just got her first smart phone last week.  And when the cat woke her up at 4:30 this morning, she got up and took these...........

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

That is gorgeous!

No running yet, but we are waiting for our friends to wake up so ce can all run together for a few miles.

I will be working todat, but that means I will have Monday off.

Go racers go!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Beautiful pics, stumpy.

Out for 5.7 miles with 4 MP-ish miles in the middle.

Go racers!

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Nice pictures. Just a quick check-in from Oklahoma, I ran with Opie this morning. Haven't done that in awhile. Got all caught up with him on a nice 15.3 mile run.

Have a great weekend.

King of PhotoShop

Nice pics wife of Stumpy.

pfriese, I see on Twitter you have a nice running streak going.  Keep it up. Say hi to Opie for us.

My wife and I have colds, not allergy problems, but we managed to get in 5 miles at easy pace in the park.  This was a cutback week for me and it ended with 32.5 miles.

Today I take my son and grand-daughter home, as he assures me he is pain free, but of course I'm nervous about how he will eat.  I'll get him squared away once I get to his house. He ate like a king here, so takeout food is going to be a surprise for him.  He assures me he has many friends who have sworn to come over and help him out.   They had better.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Speaking of a full moon over a lake, I celebrated our first midnight madness swim of the year last night with a sunny four miles this morning already up to 60 degrees. Why does 60 degrees running seem warmer than 70 degrees swimming, at least at first?

Especially if you can find a sandy beach that reflects the moonlight off the bottom, please go jump in the lake or ocean tonight and swim into multitudes of shimmering silver bubbles bursting forth from every stroke. Even if you can’t swim, go stand or sit up to your chest and splash the dark waters into your own shining seas.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good morning good people. Awesome pictures by your DW Stumpy. The water looks like glass.

Maybe you could do "meals on wheels" for your DS Ribs. I'm sure he'd very much appreciate your wonderful meals delivered to his house. Hope you and Mrs. Ribs feel better soon.

Ran a local 5k with my niece and DS this morning. This was Molly's first race since her mother (my sister) passed away and she had a lot of stress and energy to get rid of. Ran it freaky fast and finished first in her AG, second woman overall. I managed to keep up with DS pushing Will and Ben in a double stroller   We finished in around 28:34 which was good enough for first in my AG, though there were only 3 women in the 60+ category. This race is held in conjunction with a 3-day slow pitch softball tournament, and there's always a parade after the race. The floats throw water balloons and candy, which Will and Ben thought was pretty cool. Just a nice morning to hang with my family.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and good luck to all who are racing today.

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Oh-oh, did you hear NYC intends to require those wearing superhero hero costumes in the city to be licensed?  Seems some interlopers pose for photos with tourists, then demand money.  Watch out Tag and Steve!

Those are supervillains...Grrr...

TwoCat, what is "an imaginary running partner"?

Hi Opie.

Spareribs, make sure they all have ice cream.

Jlynne. that sounds like lots of fun!

When it was yesterday, Dad came home in a big big truck! When I saw him come home, I was very rexcited and danced and sang until Mom let me out to get him! I didn't think I was ever going to see him again. I went run run run to get him and he gave me pettings and hugs. I was so happy that I went to get him a big stick to have. Then I decided to keep it. But dad wanted it really bad and he chased me all over. When he caught me, he took my best stick and threw it way far away.  I ran and got it again and did not let him have it back.

When it was this morning, Dad asked if I wanted to go to work with him so I can see what he does while I lay around the house all day and watch TV. Dad has said before, if he doesn't go to work, we can not get ice cream. Yikes! I went to jump in the truck, but Dad had to lift me up too.

We went for a long bye bye ride and I got to see way up high. It was very interesting. When I got to see critters, though, Dad didn't slow down so I could see them good. It must be great to go for bye bye rides all the time so we can have ice cream. We finally got to where people were putting a house together and Dad backed the truck up to it.  One nice man asked Dad if I could come out and I got to run run run all over some place new. When Dad got into the back of the truck, I was sure he was going to have ice cream, so I jumped in there too. All there was in there were stoopid windows.

I jumped out and looked around. I got very rexcited and went run run run back to the truck and jumped in again. "Dad!! Really!! You have to come and see this!". All he did was take windows and give them to other people. He was starting to smell like he went run run run, but he sure wasn't running.  I guess he was looking for something, so I went and looked around some more. I saw a big big pile of sticks stacked all nice! I dragged one over to show Dad and one man said, "Your dog is getting into our boards.". ...Tattle Tale. I wanted to surprise Dad, but Dad said, "I'm not surprised". I looked in the truck some more, and Dad was still digging out windows. Maybe he was looking for ice cream that was in the truck! I sniffed around and all I could smell was burning bacon like when Dad goes run run run and his thighs rub together. Maybe Dad goes run run run in the truck when no one is looking.  "Come on Dad!! Let's go!" He was missing so much stuff.

When the truck was empty, there was still no ice cream!! And he smelled like he went run run run without me! The guys at the new house petted me and Dad made me get back in the truck. All we did was go home! I was so sad. Sad. We saw all kinds of great places to chase critters and we didn't stop even once!

When we got home, all I wanted to do was take a nap. Dad gave me and the cat both water and told us to be good. Then he left again.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Stumpy, it appears that it didn't take DW long to master the photo phunction of her smaat phone. I'm sure having good subject matter to shoot didn't hurt.

Enjoy your run with friends, Mariposai.

Nice runs, Tramps and Pfriese (and Opie).

Summer colds just seem totally unfair, Ribs. I hope you and DW recover quickly. I'm glad DS is good enough to go home.

It seems you had a glorious moon under which to do your midnight swim, Tet.

Great racing by you and Molly this morning, Jlynne! It seems like it was a good way for everyone to work off some stress, and a good parade afterwards for Will and Ben to enjoy. Good family time...

I got out at JJ o'clock for 11.25 RW miles in delicious weather: 57F temps and nice and dry air. I headed north-east up the coast, watching the glow on the horizon of the approaching sun. Then I went around a curve and had a view (to the west) of that huge, glorious yellow moon sitting above the trees, staring right at me. I just stopped and took it all in for a moment or two. Then I resumed my march up the coast, where soon a bright orange dot evolved into the sun gliding up over the horizon. After my turn-around, I had the warmth of the sun on my neck, except when I found my way under some trees, where the coolness of the shade was a nice counterpoint to the sun's warmth. I picked up the pace over the last couple 'o miles, and was cruising at below 11 min/mile as I got back to our driveway. After stretching and a shower, DW and I went to our favorite dive for a delicious breakfast, and then to the farmer's market for more fresh veggies for this week. Now I get to exhaust myself with yard work, but I don't care, 'cause this is a great day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Holly S.  nothing like an easy to put together meal you really like!

Dave59 making all your colleagues happy at once is nothing to be sneezed at!  In your case perhaps literally with all that dust around. Gesundheit!

deez4boyz a pretty demanding day all to yourself!  Glad you are having fun.

Mariposai nice pic!

wildchild I have a Bluetooth headset with microphone built in.  I is a Motorola but nothing special.  They all break before the warranty expires.  But it costs more for the shipping than it is worth.  I have had models from several brands.  They all work well until they do not.  The only company I would stay far away from is Jabra.  Their earpieces are asymmetric and in my case one side fit and the other side kept popping off.  Really horrible.  Those I just tossed while they still worked.

tetsujin209 I would imagine the answer to your question is yes.  Also, swimming in 70 degree water is like running in the a winter drizzle as far as I am concerned!  Brrrr!

stumpy77 congratulations on getting your DW to make the move to a smart phone!  Best wishes on graduating her to using installing and using apps!

Tramps nice little run at MP.

pfriese a 15.3 mile run sure does provide a lot of time to get caught up!

Spareribs guy + friends offering to help = odds of maybe 1/3.  Such is the life of a guy.  I will continue to wish your DS a speedy recover.

Jlynne congratulations on a fine set of race results all around.  It is also good to see your niece figuring out how to deal with your sister's passing.

Avenger Doggie you know that talking human you claim to run with on occasion?  Humans do not talk.  He is just imaginary.

coastwalker it is Saturday dude!  S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y!  What are you doing up early enough to see the sun rise!? Other than that, nice workout.

Today was one of the local crazy distance races.  This is the third in the series and the first I have run.  Boy am I out of racing shape!  Every stride felt stiff.    By far my worst finish in years, 61 out of I am guessing 100 or so people.  As they say every marathon begins with a first 3.781 mile race!    Yes, I just looked it up and that is the saying.

In non-running news:  We have some friends from the city over who are spending the night.  Lunch is something called Peruvian grilled chicken.  I am not sure how "Peruvian" the recipe really is, but it looked good!  Dinner includes another experiment, orzo with artichokes and pine nuts.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I've been out of touch for awhile as last Sunday night, lightining took out a bunch of electronics.  We lost our computer, internet connection, 2 TVs, a DVD player, cordless phone, digital media player (Apple TV), and an antenna signal amplifier.  Most of it is replaced and a new computer is having it's data transferred by the Geek Squad.  I hope our insurance is good.

I haven't looked back at the last week so will start anew with today.  Stumpy, those are neat early AM pictures your wife took.  pfriese, great you got to run with opie.  jlynne, nice family racing with 1 in AG by you and your niece.  Twocat, good job on your "strange distance" race.

Nice long runs for  pfriese and Jay.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 60s and there was a little wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:14 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tom, wow, that stinks, all that damage. I hope your insurance covers it.

Stumpy, lovely picture!  I still do not own a smartyphone (as Tammy calls them).

Jlynne - that is a pretty awesome 5K time considering you were pushing a stroller with 2 kids in it.  Well done!

Twocat - I am sure your next race will feel better.  Orzo....I have some of that in the cupboard, you just gave me an idea.

Quiet weekend here....enjoying it greatly.

4 miles only at the horse trails.  I wasn't quite ready to do more than that in this 70F plus heat....saving a longer run for tomorrow (if I do 11 tomorrow, that will be 30 for the week, a number I haven't seen in a LONG time), and will start earlier in the day to avoid the higher temperatures.  I am thinking of setting up a tent and sleeping outside tonight....heat wave is beginning....

I noticed another scratch on my car.  I know I didn't do it, and it is near the front wheel, so how the heck did it get there?  good thing I just ordered some touch up paint.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jlynne - that is a pretty awesome 5K time considering you were pushing a stroller with 2 kids in it.  Well done!

No, DS was pushing the stroller with his two sons in it. I was just trying to keep up! Good grief - this getting old stuff is not for sissies

A Dog - I'm taking my grandsons for ice cream cones after dinner tonight. Would you like to come with?

Thanks guys.  I keep thinking I'll check back in.  Facebook takes a lot of my online time, which is probably too much!

I have some news, sorta.  Early this week, New Mexico State University flew me out to interview for an attorney position.  With the hotel and meal expenses as well, I felt very grateful and told them so.  I spent all day in the process and it went well.  If only I knew the competition!  Why can't it be like a 5k?  I feel like, whether I get the position or not, my persistence has paid off as it's been 1.5 years since I worked fulll time.  If I get the position, I will be giving students legal advice.  Will let you know in a couple of weeks if I'll be moving to Las Cruces.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

SteveP

Holy Wow, TomS.

Enke, when I repair scratches in painted metal, (at least once a week) I do not brush the paint on, but dab it with the tip of the brush.

Honey got dropped off. Just for kicks, we hit a trail that has a stream about every 1/2 mile so I don't have to carry water for the dogs. It goes along the Manistee River. I didn't go as fast as the bugs this time, however, it was still a good time. One the return trip, we heard some canoers enjoying the day. As my keen intellect accessed all the survivalist documentaries I've watched, there was only one sensible course of action. As loud as I could, I yelled, "Be vewy vewy quiet! I'm hunting wabbits!". And you know what? It did get vewy vewy quiet. Then there was a return yell, "It's Duck season!". Oh good! A formidable adversary!

"It's wabbit season!"

"Duck season!"

"Wabbit season!"

"It's baseball season!".

Touche stranger....touche.

7.4 miles without banjo music.

SteveP