Masters Running

Tall's Suicidal Half Marathon - But it was fun (Read 353 times)

Things looked good heading in to the week. Two weeks before I had PB’ed in my last half marathon (Army Run). The night before in Picton I could not find a pasta restaurant and ended up eating fish and shrimp coated in butter (yum but yeech). Also ate a big delicious piece of pumpkin cheesecake. Slept so-so. Did not have a chance for a warm up..not smart due to porta potty line up’s. Within a hundred meters of the start I was in second running behind a thin guy wearing compression socks. Should have known and backed off. A few days earlier I had read an article where Dick Beardsley said “You have to find out if you can keep up with the leaders, you just have to go for it”. So I did and I paid the price. Here’s the script. 1k- 3.45 fast but it’s the fist k 2k -3.37 that’s crazy 3k -3.34 crazier 4k -3.38 how long can I keep this up 5k 3.44 Total time: 18.18 Yowzer……… 6k 3.43 leader still slightly in front but starting to pull away… 7k 3.49 okay back on pace..this guy is for real and I am going to pay for my quick pace. 8k 3.44 ok 9k 3.48 ok 10k 3.48 Total time: 37.10 50 seconds to fast after 10K…leader is 100 meters ahead of me , I think he might still blow it…RIGHT. 11k 3:50 okay it’s getting really hard now, must focus 12k 3.52 – going to slow… 13k 3.45 better It’s windy out here and there’s no one to hide behind. 14k 3.51 falling off darn wind, that must be what is slowing me down (-: 15k 3.58 Getting slower but I know the hills are coming Total time: 56:26 19 seconds ahead of sub 1:20 16k 3.53 5 seconds to slow but the hills are here 17k 4.24 Ugh…the big hill whips my butt again and I dry heave at the top and have to stop again…no more gels in half marathons for me, I do not seem to be able to absorb them quickly enough 18k 3.49 ok better, time to push thru the hills 19k 3.45 ok, good, might still make it…passing tons of full marathoners down the Picton Streets. 20k 3.48 Tired but keeping some in reserve to finish 21 3.47 still on pace but too late now…I lost it going to fast. .1 3.20 for at total time of 1:20:19 ……..a quick final burst but sub 1:20 is gone. Second overall..the fast guy was fast he won easily in 1:14. He was the real deal and I paid the price going with him. Nice guy we talked for a while when getting a massage. He was a young pup in his late 20’s. No wonder (-: I am happy with the race and yes I should have known better and kept to my pace but you know what sometime just going for it is FUN and is that not what running is all about. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Good grief, Tall...you're fast. I dry heaved just reading the report! I really admire how you put it all out there.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      evanflein

Nice running, dry heaves and all. I blame the shrimp. You were so close to 1:20.... simply amazing speed you've got there. And to have that young pup be all that stands between you and first place... ha, your age grade finish must be amazing.
          You are a tough, fast, runner Tall. Congrats on your fine performance and 2nd in AG. TomS
            Great job, Tall. You know I like to tease you, but that's just because I don't want you to get a big head after all your success. You are one of the most admired runners here and we all like to read your race reports. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              Thanks guys and gals, My ex coach was very frustrated with my race, here was an exchange we had that I thoght I would share. He's a tough guy but I have learnt a lot from him There’s being aggressive, and then there is what you did on Sunday. They are not quite the same thing. Coach Rick: I do think you can run 1:19:30, but not if you do it that way. Next time… Frank/Tall Well Rick – ITS FUN TO TRY SOMETIMES EVEN IF YOU FAIL… (and for me it’s managed failure – I still had enough to keep close to my goal). I expect with proper pacing maybe 1:19:30 or a tad lower but would have had as much fun???? Believe me Rick you have made me a much better runner, this springs’ marathon is a fine example..so it is sinking in and for a crazy big guy like me I never thought I could be as competitive as I am…so I have come a long way. I owe a lot to you and to my crazy streak…Its part of what makes me better. (although I pay for it sometimes). Rick says Hi Frank. At least you tried, and obviously did not give up on yourself when you fell off the pace. You kept pushing, BUT, going out at that pace was suicidal. I’m pulling for you, Frank, but I find it a very frustrating thing because I know you are smart enough to know it is suicidal, but you did it anyway. I don’t get it. Some day, you will have to explain that one to me. It’s not lack of experience anymore.

Recent Best times: None recently

WOW Tall you really are freakin FAST!! That was an incredible race, dry heaves and all...been there and done that...YUK...and yes going for it really is what "racing" really is all about. I am always amazed at your runs, races and reports and truly enjoy reading them. Congratulations on a great race, sub 1:20 BE DAMNED! Wink
                  freaking FAST, no understatement there. Hey coach was kind of hard on you.... I wish I had just an ounce of your go-for-it attitude!! Not sure where the Fun part came in, but I'll take your word on it. You got the next HM lined up, the one with the sub 1:20??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I blame it all on the pumpkin cheesecake - if only you had chosen the apple pie! Just kidding... I can only dream of running that kind of pace. Great job, Tall!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Fast yes...and great race and RR...but all those "K's" confuse the hell out of me...I like miles. Great job Tall!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

HermosaBoy

The only real pace is suicide pace... Wink Sounds like a pretty darn good race regardless.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

If I could only . . . sigh. Man, you "blew it" and finished second OA? In what world is a second OA finish any kind of blew it? Great job dude!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Awesome. I'm always truly amazed at all your race reports, and this was no exception. No gels next time and you're in!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

The only real pace is suicide pace... Wink Sounds like a pretty darn good race regardless.
                              ^^What Hermosa said. Congratulations. That is a SMOKIN' pace....Just...wow. Walt
                              SteveP

If it's not fun, why bother? Your pace is amazing and your RRs are always enjoyable.

SteveP