Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 3.21.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TW, your advice to never read a doctor's report to a surgeon is good advice - except if you really want to know what is going on. And, as depressing as it may be, you are better off knowing. You're a tough guy (with a great sense of humor), and I wish you well.

Sounds like a great (or should I say 'grand') canyon extravaganza, Wildchild! Glad your quads held up during the decent.

Ribs, my folks used to play bridge when I was a kid, and I still remember the arguments over what was played vs. what should have been played. Is it any wonder why I've never warmed to the game? Congrats on being first - I have no idea what those numbers mean (it's not running, is it?).

Sorry you missed the farmer's market vendors, Aamos, but prudence is often a good thing. Still a nice 7er yesterday. I'm glad DW appears to have a good coach. I'll reply to his message directly - thanks for posting it.

Ouch! that's a heck of a way to mount a chairlift, dg! Yes, I believe you can (and probably should) use a rowing machine with a straight back.

Leslie, I bought a Safeco standup desk from Wayfair.com, and it wasn't all that expensive. I've seen kneeling chairs, and they might do the same thing for your back. I hope you get a chance to try it out. Nice "just run" yesterday.

Glad you checked in, Holly.

Nice run at Mudhole Bay, Starr. There are a lot of mudholes, especially this time of the year.

"Never underestimate the power of crawling.  Did it one time for a few hours while planting bulbs.  I now know why babies have such cute butts!

Congrats, Ribs!" I'm not quite sure how all these statements work together, but I'm sure there is a way they do. 

Thanks Tet - it's good to know that crawling is legit.

Yep, AD, that's what happens at the doc's office! Too bad you didn't get the squirrel. But at least you got some squirrel ice cream!

7.2 RW miles under the light of a bright moon this morning. I was just cruising along till I saw 2 headlamps bobbing along about a quarter mile in front of me. I tried, but couldn't catch them before my next turn. Still, it was good speed play, and I kept the pace up for the next mile+ to our mail box. Nice workout.

I'm wishing fleet feet, tailwinds, and big finish-line grins to this weekend's racers:

03/22 runnerclay - Bear Blaster 50k, Augusta,GA

03/22 tetsujin - Green Lake Dizzy Daze 12-hour (thongs)

03/22 pfriese - Frigid Five Mile Race, Edmond OK
    03/23 tetsujin - Mercer Island Half Mary (barefoot)

03/23 Ileneforward - Spirit Run 5k, Newport Beach, CA

03/23 Mike E - Irish Run 8K, St. Paul, MN

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Mornin' all!

O Ribs, I should have bet on you!  (Except I don't gamble, oops).  Congrats!

tw, if there was an aerobic crawling race, I'd bet on you!  (oops there I go again).

Leslie, thanks so much for the considered advice.  I especially appreciate it as I have long legs (for my height, stop snorting dive, Ribs, tet, et al) and a very short torso.   I had a camelback in South Dakota but had a hard time cleaning the bladder part so that there wasn't an aftertaste (or maybe it was my too-active imagination?)  I'll keep you posted on what develops, and again, thanks for your time and sage counsel.

Tag, please write a book so I can refer to it now and again and whenever I start to feel a little blue.  You are the best dog in America, and if you were here right now, I would give you a treat and take you for a long run.  We would have to use a leash, my chum, as you don't want to meet any alligators.  They have REALLY big mouths and will hurt us.  After our romp, we could stop by my local Starbucks.  Dino the dog is there most days sitting on a chair at a table outside with his human, Geoff.  He's a little dog, but friendly and could tell you a lot about the lay of the land here. 

tet, 2 races this weekend?  Me too, but nothing near a 12 hour one!  How do you muster the necessary mind control?  The fellow I'm pacing just did a 24 hour one.

<waving>  hi Holly!  Just say hi and that's great!

I'm such an eejit--modified to add my run this am, of personal note to me as my running companions under the moonlight this am were Ada, a delightful 1st grade teacher, and Bruce, a wickedly fast 60-something (who reined it in for we ladies).  This tickled me not just because they are fun, but also because my mom's name was Ada and my brother's was Bruce.

Happy Friday and weekends, all.  Let's hope spring starts exerting herself soon!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks amy but, believe me, there’s not gunna be much, if any, running in this weekend’s great walks.  Maybe some crawling might be in order though.
        However, with March already the third rainiest  on record, I don’t even want to read the weather advisory sent out by the RD for tomorrow’s Green Lake Dizzy Daze 12-hour walk/run. Oh well, at least I should be able to lose some of winter’s excesses around my waist I need to get rid of before Sunday’s half mary meet-up with my 83-yo, fit-as-a-fiddle, retired physician IM mentor.

DIZZY DAZE WEATHER ADVISORY
        We have some bad news. 
        The weather report for this weekend is looking uncharacteristically warm and pleasant, so we might not be able to provide the usual windy, miserably cold downpour and puddle-filled trail that we have in the past.  If any of you are dismayed by this, then we will have bags of ice and water that we could throw on you as you run past the main aid station to simulate the typical miserable experience we normally provide.  The truly desperate can run a couple of laps in the lake itself too, if you want..

. . .

DIZZY DAZE ADVISORY - BIOLOGICAL NECESSITIES (INPUT PART):
        We will have coffee, water and some sort of hummingbird nectar (i.e. Powerbar Perform most likely or Gatorade if we run low of the good stuff) plus rolls available at the start.  Once you head out, we’ll put out bananas, oranges, M&Ms, cookies, and will be flipping flapjacks from 7-10am and heating up soup with lots of PBJ and grilled cheese sandwiches around lunch time, the latter of which will be available all day.  The first round of pizzas comes at roughly 1 p.m. and the second round will come at 6:30 for the finishers, if any.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

[Village idiot checking in]

On Sunday morning, I combined a very light breakfast, with massive amounts of coffee, a stressful software install (that had a glitch), and I topped it all off with an Advil Cold & Sinus pill (pseudoephedrine) for a massive headache.  This sent my heart into about 20 hours of dancing.  I felt like it was skipping every 10th beat.  (What was really happening I don't know.)  I saw a doctor who did an EKG and a ton of blood tests.  Everything was normal and eventually my heart went back to normal.  The EKG matched one from a year ago when I also had a stress test that was ok.

The whole thing left me feeling like I ran 100 miles so I haven't done any running of working out this week.  Today is the first day that I am starting to feel normal.

I got a nasal spray for my swollen sinuses that were causing my headaches.  I have fluid in my ears which is what was probably causing my treadmill balance issues.

When I was at the doctor my heart was not showing that it was skipping beats but they are still going to have me wear some type of halter for 24 hours.  I get that on Monday.

King of PhotoShop

Trapped in the house today as my son's car is in the shop for a recall repair, so he has my car, the Saint has to use hers to work.  Got 5 in this morning and thinking about taking tomorrow off. I have 25 for the week so this way I can do a hard workout on Sunday.  No other news here. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

The weather report for this weekend is looking uncharacteristically warm and pleasant, so we might not be able to provide the usual windy, miserably cold downpour and puddle-filled trail that we have in the past.  If any of you are dismayed by this, then we will have bags of ice and water that we could throw on you as you run past the main aid station to simulate the typical miserable experience we normally provide.  The truly desperate can run a couple of laps in the lake itself too, if you want..

Jay – nice 7.2 this morning.  Is it getting any warmer for you yet?

Aamos – hiyah!  (waving back)

Dave – sounds like a scary combination!

No run for me today, 45 minutes or thereabouts of weights and core.

I just love that Avenger Doggie......

Tonight I will be accompanying DD as she walks the neighborhood soliciting donations for the American Heart Association.  Her motivation is that, if she gets the most donations, she gets to hit her Social Studies teacher in the face with a cream pie...."and Mom, I REALLY want to hit this particular teacher in the face!".......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...thanks

to tet's IRONMAN CRAWL article, I'll probably have Nightmares all week.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly - Your daughter cracks me up.  And it's nice to see that she's going out and soliciting the donations, as opposed to you.  I know it's probably stupid, but it irritates me when the parents do the soliciting for a fund raiser that their kids are supposed to be doing.  Happens quite a bit here at the office.  I remember walking many miles and hours selling magazine subscriptions.  It may be that it's not as safe these days for kids to go out on their own, but I give you and your DD a ^5 for your DD being the solicitor.  Also, whenever kids come to my door, I  make them tell me exactly why they're raising the money.  You gotta work for my dollar!

Amy - There are various ways to clean a hydration and bladder and tube, but I've never been real successful with any of them.  You just  kinda get used to it.  (PS - After a while, you simply don't look too closely at the mouthpiece of the tube. )

{{{Dave}}}

No workout this morning.  Too tired with all the after work work.  I slept the sleep of the dead from 9:30 'til about 2:30.  Dealt with the cats and when back to sleep 'til about 4:00, when Goofy decided he needed to get up close and personal on my side of the bed with the blanket that lays across our feet.  (And yeah, that kind of up close and personal.  He needs a girlfriend.) Sleeping was on and off at that point until I dragged myself out of bed at 7:00.  But those first 5 hours - sweet!

Happy Friday, and good luck to our racers this weekend (LOVED the blurbs re the 12-hr race, Tet!).

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Holly,  : D

((((Dave))))

Tet,  well just wow.    ... since you shared your taper with me, want some of my pent up miles?    they're not too fast but they're yours if you want 'em.

Amy you always make me grin.

Leslie, gee your cat story makes me feel. better.    oh.  hey, I have a cat!   Some of you might remember, 3 years ago I lost my dog, & both of my cats.  A month or 2 ago my DD said she knew I wasn't 'ready' but that I should look at the humane society website at one particular cat.   She's wonderful.     I'm not sleeping too well lately and sometimes she helps, curls up on my arm & puts her head on my shoulder & purrs.  she's tiny, & it's so sweet.    The other night my hands were numb again, I got up for a bit then went back to bed.  Gracie (as in say good night gracie) found the ceramic thing which covers the installation bolts on the toilet.   She sure is a playful cat.   She'll play with things forever & ever.

tw, I have 2 of these. 

dg.

Unclear pronoun reference.   It's my cat that curls up on my arm, not my DD.   Of course they are both wonderful.

Jay thank you for the rowing machine information.        Nice RW this morning!   Sounds like fun.     (everything sounds like fun ; ))       Do you ever start when it's light?

good luck racers!

mrrun

wonderful posts so far today!  (((to all those hurting or anyone who needs a hug))))

good luck to week-end racers

ran 5 on the Charles - good to be home (even if it's cold)

marj

Mariposai

Someday I want to meet Holly's daughter. She is fun!

Dave, good luck with the 24 hour heart monitor thing.

Tetsujin, you crack me up.

Spareribs, enjoy your day at home.

Aamos, what Leslie says about the bladders. After a while you get used to it Smile. My DH got me a nice Nathan brand for Christmas this year. This will replace my 8 year old, cheap one I had. I am looking forward to warmer weather when I run on the trail to use it.

Today was a fun day for me. I am off from work until 1pm. I had a lunch date with a friend, but she asked me to postpone it because she had to run 10 miles today, which is what I had to do too. So we had a run date instead. My friend is preparing for the orchards in bloom, so we ran part of the course. It was so fun! We got 11 miles in.

Hallelujah, Saturday is finally almost here!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg, I have kept my race streak going.  It's now over 10 years.  Nice long runs for Mike and mari.

I'm in Ludington visiting my mother, sister, and brother in law.  This morning, it was in the low to mid 20s and there was a light wind. I struggled through 8 miles at an 11:36 pace but got  to run by some of my favorite places for the first time in a long time.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

Enjoy the visit with family, tselbs!   brrrr, that's some cold temps.

Have a beautiful spring day here. mid 60's. since I have next week off for spring break, I hope we continue to have our nice weather. night are still down to freezing level though, so it's making it tricky to not get carried away with garden planting yet.

filled in as distance track coach yesterday and took the group of 7 runners out on a road run. David led the fast group that would be running 7:30's for 4 miles. I led the slower group and was aiming for 8:45's for 3.5 miles but was worried this would feel too slow and I would fall behind. Well, we started out with our goal, but then the kids slowed down to about 9:15's on the way back. But for their first road run and the first time running 3.5 miles continuously, they did great.

Found out yesterday that David will be award Rotary Student of the Year. I don't know what all that entails or exactly what the criteria for selection was, but know it's a big honor to get this award. The formal dinner, speech giving and award receiving will take place later in April.

Tammy

Fly by post

3.1 miles last night, lower back all fine and dandy.  Was tired and the run felt hard......I can't believe a little stress and a week off affects my conditioning that much, but it did.

Dave - "Massive amounts of coffee"

I am not surprised you had a bit of arrythmia after all that.  Easy to fix.....cut way back...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."