Masters Running

Job interview questions and fill in the blank contest (Read 313 times)

spacityrunner

Some time ago Spareribs posted this on CR..and I saved it. I recently had the occassion to use this info and got the job I was interviewed for. However, when I saved it I missed the last sentence...and don't know what ribs was going to say there...so, might I suggest we all take a crack at finishing that sentence for Mr. Ribs.....extra points for creativity Big grin Thanks to Spareribs for his insight... There are a number of important questions you should ask in any interview, and it's perfectly okay to write them down in advance. Avoid questions that sound self-serving, or superficial, or where the answer is available elsewhere, such as salary, days off, etc. ("Do we get Groundhog Day off?") Instead, you may want to ask your prospective supervisor to describe a day in the life of the incumbent, the culture of the work group, his or her management style and what is the most desirable trait he or she is seeking in this position. (That way you can provide a response that is "molded" to that vision.) Your new work unit will have some mission and goals (or not!) but try to find out what they are. "What is most important for this group to achieve, in your opinion? What is key to our success, or how to we help the bigger organization and how do I fit there?" Then if the answer is, "it's all about the customer here," you have plenty of responses about your customer service ethic, your telephone manner and your ability to relate to people. In other words, by preparing strong questions, you help turn the interview around, so that whatever answers you get, you can discuss how you fit, and what your desirable attributes are. The interviewer is looking for this ability in you, so when s/he says, "and what questions do you have?" you don't say, "Oh I don't have any." Instead you say, "actually I have quite a few" and then you conduct the interview. Approach this discussion with the mindset that they are getting a quality asset in you and you are evaluating whether they deserve you. Maintain your confidence and poise, consider how to phrase your questions, then write them down in bullet point form, so that you don't look like you are reciting what you wrote. Act your natural self. If the interviewer asks you if you want something to drink, say yes, and ask for some water or a soft drink. This shows you are relaxed, comfortable and assertive. And finally, you are a terr

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

You are a terrific ______? You are a terribly _______ _______? You are a terrier?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I added to the original post with the following, which may be more useful. 2009 may be a tough year for people, and I hope others can benefit: Whether you are male or female, there are some dead giveaways that often eliminate insecure people. Keep in mind that hiring decisions are often subjective, so impressions are crucial. Don’t tell the interviewer that you are good around people, or that you like being with people. This response will get you scratched off at once. It’s a huge and stupid thing to say. You may be sure the company is not looking for Golden Retrievers, people wandering from cubicle to cubicle, or organizing the holiday employee parties or the NCAA pool. Respond to questions about working with others with information about how you have worked in a team environment to the benefit of the company. Be business specific. Never touch your face or hair. Remember the old report cards “Keeps hands away from face.” Don’t scratch any part of your body. If you are dying, don’t scratch anywhere. Sit calmly; pretend you’re a lizard on a hot rock. Impress by your composure, not by a lot of body movement. Your long hair may be gorgeous but don’t shake it away from your face. It isn’t cute, and it’s a very affected gesture. If there is any part of your clothing that you need to adjust, make sure you do that in the restroom, never on the way to the interview room. Don’t hike up, pull down, or slip a hand into any part of your clothing, adjust your necktie, twist hips to, hike pants or anything like that, even if you think no one is looking. (They are.) If you think you need to do that, you wore the wrong clothes. Less makeup than you would normally use. And NO perfume, ever! When the interview is over, thank the interviewer for his or her time. Smile! Say that you enjoyed the discussion (even though we all know it was murder). One more time: SMILE as the last thing the interviewer sees (not a big phony SEG, just a normal pleasant smile). Offer your hand first to shake, and shake with the entire hand, not the tips of your middle three fingers. Women are more apt to be lousy at hand-shaking, but men can miss it too. A firm, full hand handshake is correct. All the secretaries, administrative assistants, and other unknown people in the company are part of your interview. Trust me, they will have input on the eventual hiring decision. Treat them all with the utmost courtesy and respect. Ask them questions to engage them. “How long have you worked here?” “You must enjoy this company; everyone seems so professional.” Show your poise with them first and last. “Water? I’d love it. Thank you so much.” Seek them out on your way out. “Thanks so much Cheryl. Hope to see you again.” Get the business card of everyone who interviews you. If they don’t offer it, ask for it. If they obfuscate or hem and haw, say, “I want to drop you a line as thanks and sum things up; I’d be grateful to have your contact information.” Then send your thank you note by snail mail, NOT email. Impress by differentiating yourself against the losers who send emails. Hope this is useful. I have used these techniques to get numerous jobs. The fact that I get fired after a couple of months is irrelevant. After all, the rest is up to you. Spareribs
        huskydon

I wanted to say that Spareribs counsel is first rate, spot on, and full of real substance (unlike what you typically see on the Internet). Just one of the items he mentions, that of being considerate to the secretaries and admins is so true. At our workplace, I cannot tell you how many times we have nixed someone because of their overbearing behavior towards those who the candidate deem less important. "So and so was a real pain when I had to arrange their travel" sends warning lights to those who have to deal with said person in the future. I am quite sure that those on our board don't act this way, but still, I thought this was very sage (and uncommon) advice. I haven't a clue how to finish the sentence (although the line about the terrier did cross my mind).

The Jogger

AH! Tina has an interview soon, so I'l show her this, thanks Spareribs & Liz Roy

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, but what about "And finally, you are a terr"? What can it mean? Inquiring minds yearn to know.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"You are a terrific employee and would be a valuable asset to said company." Re being nice to the assistants - having worked as an assistant my entire adult life, yes, this is crucial. We will make or break any new job candidate - that is if our employer gives a rat's as butt what we think, and any employer worth his/her weight does care. If your employer doesn't, look for another job. Thanks for sharing this info, Ribs and DC. Greatly appreciated. MTA - With Ribs' permission, I'd like to share this information with my legal professional group.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance